Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It'll Be Years Before You See
Another Comet Like This One
Feb 1, 2023 8:41 AM CST
It'll Be Years Before You See Another Comet Like This One
Green comet C/2022 E3 will be best spotted as it passes by Earth this week
- A green comet is passing by Earth for the first time since Neanderthals walked the planet and could be spotted by the naked eye. Believed to have been born in the farthest reaches of the solar system in an icy world dubbed the Oort cloud, C/2022 E3 is thought to...
Jan 3, 2023 1:02 AM CST
Comet Last Spotted by Neanderthals Might Be Visible Again
C/2022 could be viewable by the naked eye in the right conditions
- A comet not spotted since the Upper Paleolithic period could soon be visible to the naked eye again. NASA says the newly discovered comet, named C/2022 E3 (ZTF), will reach its perigee, the closest it will pass by the Earth at 26 million miles away, between Feb. 1 and 2....
Scientists Confirm What's at
Heart of This Comet Is Huge
Apr 13, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
Scientists Confirm What's at Heart of This Comet Is Huge
Nucleus of C/2014 UN271 is around 80 miles across and 'blacker than coal'
- The biggest comet nucleus ever detected is wider than New Jersey and is hurtling through space at 22,000mph, NASA says. Observations from the Hubble Space Telescope have confirmed that the nucleus of Comet C/2014 UN271 (Bernardinelli-Bernstein) is 50 times larger than what is at the heart of most comets,...
Jul 10, 2020 1:19 PM CDT
A Newly Found Comet Is Here
Neowise could be visible into August
- A newly discovered comet is streaking past Earth, providing a stunning show for skywatchers, per the AP . Comet Neowise swept within Mercury’s orbit a week ago, and its close proximity to the sun caused dust and gas to burn off its surface and create an even bigger debris tail....
'Incredible Hulk' Comet Will
Soon Whiz Past Earth
Aug 7, 2018 4:07 PM CDT
'Incredible Hulk' Comet Will Soon Whiz Past Earth
Stargazers' best chance to see the cosmic behemoth on Tuesday and Wednesday
- A green comet is set to whiz past Earth this week, but blink and you might miss it. Lucky stargazers who look up Tuesday or Wednesday nights will have the best chance to glimpse the celestial object, dubbed the "Incredible Hulk" for its color and considerable size, notes Sputnik...
Mystery of Our First Interstellar
Jun 27, 2018 3:20 PM CDT
Mystery of Our First Interstellar Visitor Solved
Oumuamua was a comet, not an asteroid, scientists say
- Last year's visitor from another star system —a cigar-shaped object briefly tumbling through our cosmic neck of the woods—has now been identified as a comet. A European-led team makes the case in Wednesday's edition of the journal
, the AP reports. Telescopes first spotted the mysterious...
40-Year-Old Signal From
Space Is Finally Explained
in case you missed it
Jun 10, 2017 11:30 AM CDT
40-Year-Old Signal From Space Is Finally Explained
Astronomer says it was 'a natural phenomenon,' not aliens
- In 1977, a radio telescope recorded a 72-second signal coming from the direction of the constellation Sagittarius. Stunned, the astronomer who observed it wrote "Wow!" on the readout. Since it couldn't be explained, plenty argued the signal was proof of life beyond our planet. After 40 years,...
Observatory Gives Real-Time
View of Doomed Comet
Mar 3, 2017 8:04 PM CST
Observatory Gives Real-Time View of Doomed Comet
The newly discovered comet is headed straight for the sun
- Scientists at the US Naval Research Laboratory discovered a brand-new comet Thursday morning—just in time for it to smash into the sun, CNET reports. It's unclear if the comet will survive long enough to even get a name. The "sungrazing comet"—a poetic name for a...
In Friday's Sky,
a Triple Feature
Feb 8, 2017 12:04 PM CST
In Friday's Sky, a Triple Feature
Snow moon, eclipse, and a comet will be visible
- Consider it a triple feature: Lucky observers who look to the sky Friday night into early Saturday will be treated to a February "snow" moon as well as a lunar eclipse and the flyby of a comet, reports
. As the February full moon crosses through the outer...
Comet to Pass by Earth
on New Year's Eve
Dec 31, 2016 3:45 PM CST
Comet to Pass by Earth on New Year's Eve
Comet 45P comes around every five years
- While the rest of us are ringing in the New Year with a chambong (that's a beer bong for champagne), the night sky will be welcoming 2017 with a comet. CBS News reports Comet 45P, aka Honda-Mrkos-Pajdušáková, will appear near the crescent moon on Saturday night. The...
New Year's Eve
Bonus: a Comet
Dec 30, 2016 1:59 PM CST
New Year's Eve Bonus: a Comet
But the naked eye won't be of much use
- The night sky is providing a little extra festivity on New Year's Eve: a potential glimpse of a returning comet.
has this explainer on how to see it: "People should point their instruments to the west just after sunset to catch a glimpse of the comet,...
A Comet Crash
Sep 30, 2016 6:35 AM CDT
A Comet Crash Landing for the Ages
Space probe Rosetta makes final journey onto comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko
- It took the Rosetta a decade to catch up with Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, and on Friday, the space probe was sent to crash-land on the comet, ending its 12-year mission and giving European Space Agency scientists "emotional closure," the
reports. "Rosetta has been comparable to the moon...
Why Astronomers Named
This Comet After a Cat
in case you missed it
May 7, 2016 6:54 AM CDT
Why Astronomers Named This Comet After a Cat
C/2014 S3, now a 'Manx comet,' has no tail
- The discovery was so unusual that at first astronomers didn't know what to call it. A comet bearing the official name C/2014 S3 also bore no tail—which isn't just unusual, but the first ever to be observed by humans, reports Reuters . Moreover, it was dark and rocky,...
Finally, an Explanation for
Mercury's Dark Surface
Mar 8, 2016 8:35 AM CST
Finally, an Explanation for Mercury's Dark Surface
Comets didn't carry in the carbon, but rather disrupted what was already there
- Mercury's mysterious surface darkness has baffled scientists: Though it's far closer to the sun than our moon, the latter reflects more sunlight. Last year, it was proposed that the root cause is carbon. As Patrick Peplowski of the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory tells the
Why This Year's
Taurids May Be
Better Than Ever
Nov 5, 2015 9:11 AM CST
Why This Year's Taurids May Be Better Than Ever
Taurid's fireballs will be extra-enhanced by lack of full moon, dense debris field
- Every year the Earth passes through the debris left behind by Comet Encke, and it's that time of year again, which means just one thing: Get ready for the fireballs. That's what you could see in the night sky over the next week or so as the Taurid...
Comet Is Spewing Out
Vast Amounts of Booze
Oct 24, 2015 9:36 AM CDT
Comet Is Spewing Out Vast Amounts of Booze
Study suggests building blocks of life arrived on drunk comet
- Never mind water on Mars , they've found booze in a comet. Astronomers say they have detected ethyl alcohol among 21 kinds of organic molecules in gas from Comet Lovejoy, meaning the comet has the ingredients both to create life and to get it incredibly drunk. This is the first...
Coming in Jan.:
to Naked Eye
Dec 31, 2014 9:24 AM CST
Coming in Jan.: Comet Visible to Naked Eye
Best viewing time for the comet will be mid-January
- Comets are basically like cats, a senior researcher at Johns Hopkins University tells the
Christian Science Monitor
: "They're very interesting, and they do what they want." That may explain that even though scientists didn't think Comet C/2014 Q2 (also known as Comet Lovejoy) would prove to...
Nov 18, 2014 2:52 PM CST
Lander 'Sniffed' Organic Molecules on Comet
But an attempt to get a soil sample may have failed
- Before its battery petered out , the small spacecraft that landed on a moving comet managed to detect organic molecules on the comet, reports NBC News . An instrument aboard the Philae lander essentially sniffed the atmosphere and found evidence of the molecules, which, as the
Wall Street Journal
explains, are the...
Nov 15, 2014 4:40 PM CST
Comet Lander's Batteries Die
But it manages to send data to scientists
- In a development that's no huge surprise , the comet lander Philae is entering what the European Space Agency calls "idle mode." When the lander missed its intended spot on comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko—and its harpoons didn't manage to lock into the comet successfully—it couldn't get...
Success: ESA Lands
Philae on Comet
Nov 12, 2014 10:14 AM CST
Success: ESA Lands Philae on Comet
Lots of relief at ESA headquarters as spacecraft touches down
- The European Space Agency's unmanned Rosetta probe successfully landed on the surface of comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko today, capping its final seven-hour journey with a historic rendezvous with the fast-moving lump of dust and ice. Philae's audacious landing attempt is the climax of a decade-long mission to study the 2....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.