Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
on Busy Italian Street:
'You Are Killing Him!'
Aug 2, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Vendor Murdered on Busy Italian Street: 'You Are Killing Him!'
32-year-old Italian man has been arrested for death of Nigerian migrant Alika Ogorchukwu, 39
- A man is in custody for murder after a Nigerian immigrant was killed in the middle of the day on a busy Italian street. Police say 39-year-old Alika Ogorchukwu, who'd reportedly been living in Italy for nearly a decade and made a living selling items such as lighters and...
Nov 27, 2020 2:20 PM CST
Latino Student Makes DACA History
Santiago Potes scores an incredible academic achievement
- Santiago Potes has made history as the first Latino DACA recipient to receive a Rhodes Scholarship—but he's far from bragging about it, CBS Miami reports. The Columbia University graduate gives all the credit to his elementary school teacher, Marina Esteva: "She was one of the biggest blessings...
'One of Canada's
Killings' Ends in
Jan 8, 2020 8:35 AM CST
'One of Canada's Most Gruesome Killings' Ends in Surprise Verdict
Zhao Li escapes murder ruling, found guilty of manslaughter instead
- A two-year-plus trial that drew much media attention has ended in Canada, with a verdict that's shocked many. On Tuesday, a judge on British Columbia's Supreme Court found 59-year-old Zhao Li guilty not of murder, but of manslaughter for killing and dismembering his millionaire cousin, 41-year-old Gang Yuan,...
Cop Found Her
Singing in the
She's a Viral Hit
Oct 1, 2019 9:20 AM CDT
Cop Found Her Singing in the Subway. Now She's a Viral Hit
People want to help Emily Zamourka, a homeless immigrant—but it's complicated
- It's "like the
story, but on social media." That's how a rep for a Los Angeles councilman describes the plight of Emily Zamourka, a homeless woman discovered singing in an empty subway station by an LAPD officer. Zamourka may now have a new lease...
on SF Pier
Aug 31, 2019 3:30 PM CDT
Immigrant Who Killed Woman on SF Pier Wins Again
An appeals court reverses decision against Jose Inez Garcia-Zarate
- A California state appeals court on Friday threw out the sole conviction against an immigrant who fatally shot a young woman on the San Francisco waterfront in 2015 in a case that sparked a national immigration debate, the AP reports. Jose Inez Garcia-Zarate was acquitted of murder in the killing...
CBP: Girl From India Dies
in Desert on Way to US
Jun 14, 2019 6:18 AM CDT
CBP: Girl From India Dies in Desert on Way to US
Death took place in 'dangerous and austere location' in Arizona
- The body of a 7-year-old girl believed to be from India was found this week in a remote part of the Arizona desert just over the border with Mexico, a death that a Border Patrol official is calling "senseless," reports the Daily Beast . Per a Customs and Border...
As Son Hung
Dad Was Playing
May 29, 2018 8:21 AM CDT
Prosecutor: As Son Hung From Balcony, Dad Was Playing Pokemon Go
Meanwhile, Mamoudou Gassama gets praise all around after saving 4-year-old in Paris
- The family of a French boy who was saved as he dangled from a fourth-floor balcony by a man dubbed "Spider-Man" is now calling Mamoudou Gassama's actions "incredible"—and shaking their heads at the child's father for leaving him unattended. Gassama is "truly a...
Mom, Girl Fled to the US,
Are Being Held 2K Miles Apart
Feb 27, 2018 12:04 PM CST
Mom, Girl Fled to the US, Are Being Held 2K Miles Apart
ACLU sues the US government over the case of 'Ms. L' and 'SS'
- The story begins on Nov. 1, 2017, when "Ms. L" and "SS," her 7-year-old girl, arrived on US shores. They told the border agents at a port of entry near San Diego they had fled the Democratic Republic of Congo out of fear for their lives and...
Immigrant Teen's Fight Against
Feds for Abortion Is Over
Oct 25, 2017 12:20 PM CDT
Immigrant Teen's Fight Against Feds for Abortion Is Over
17-year-old had procedure Wednesday
- An immigrant teen held in federal custody in Texas has had the abortion she had been seeking for a month, overcoming the Trump administration's objection . The American Civil Liberties Union said on Twitter that the 17-year-old had the procedure early Wednesday. Susan Hays, legal director for the Texas group...
Immigrants' Social Media Use
Will Be Surveilled by Feds
Sep 26, 2017 4:04 PM CDT
Immigrants' Social Media Use Will Be Surveilled by Feds
That includes permanent residents and naturalized citizens
- The Department of Homeland Security announced a new rule in the Federal Register that will allow it to collect immigrants' social media information and search results, BuzzFeed reports. And the rule doesn't just apply to new or soon-to-be immigrants. The social media accounts of green card holders, permanent residents,...
Dozens Fired After Participating
in 'A Day Without Immigrants'
Feb 18, 2017 3:48 PM CST
Dozens Fired After Participating in 'A Day Without Immigrants'
'I hope you enjoyed your day off and you can enjoy many more'
- Thousands of immigrants stayed home from work Thursday, shuttering restaurants and slowing other industries , for the national "A Day Without Immigrants" protest. Now it appears many were asked not to come back. In Oklahoma, a dozen workers at I Don't Care Bar and Grill were fired after missing...
A Travel Ban,
a CNN Producer,
Feb 1, 2017 2:29 PM CST
A Travel Ban, a CNN Producer, a Lawsuit
- A Trump administration official has called the president's travel ban a "massive success," but a CNN employee may beg to differ. Per the
, Mohammed Tawfeeq—an Iraqi national and permanent legal US resident who's an editor and producer for the news network—was held...
Did Melania Break
in Her Modeling
Aug 4, 2016 8:33 AM CDT
Did Melania Break Immigration Laws in Her Modeling Days?
Politico investigation raises questions that could cause her legal grief
New York Post
has been going to town publishing not-safe-for-work photos of Melania Trump from her early modeling days, but it's the timeline behind those images that's now raising more eyebrows. Politico backtracks through Trump's progression from Slovenian visitor to US citizen, noting dates that place...
As Refugee Crisis Expands,
Europe Plans National Quotas
May 11, 2015 12:18 PM CDT
As Refugee Crisis Expands, Europe Plans National Quotas
Some 1.8K migrants have died this year in journey across Mediterranean
- The Mediterranean region has been grappling with a huge influx of migrants traveling from the Libyan coast to Europe, and the effects have been devastating : So far, some 60,000 people have attempted the crossing this year, per the UN, and more than 1,800 have died, the BBC reports....
How White You Are
Mar 16, 2015 1:03 PM CDT
Difference Between Expat, Immigrant? How White You Are
These 'hierarchical words' have got to go: Mawuna Remarque Koutonin
- When you see mention of Americans or Europeans living on shores that aren't their own, you inevitably see them referred to as "expatriates." But when you see mention of, say, Mexicans or Africans living on shores that aren't their own, they often get a different label:...
Nabs Over 2K
Mar 9, 2015 6:07 PM CDT
Mass Arrest Nabs Over 2K Immigrants
Some were linked to gang activity and aggravated felonies
- Immigration and customs officers arrested more than 2,000 people last week in a sting targeting fugitive immigrants linked to criminal activities—including gang members and aggravated felons, CNN reports. Federal officials say the US Immigrations and Customs Enforcement agency's nationwide sweep, dubbed "Cross Check," led to...
Aug 4, 2014 11:54 AM CDT
Here's What Migrant Children Are Fleeing
John Washington tells their harrowing stories
- Central American child migrants at our borders travel through a "hellish gauntlet of kidnapping, extortion, murder, and rape" in Mexico, and then arrive in the US only to face " anti-children protests ," arrests, and brutal immigration policies, John Washington writes at Salon . What could prompt them to face...
Court Allows Undocumented Immigrant to Join Bar
Jan 2, 2014 1:57 PM CST
Court Allows Undocumented Immigrant to Join Bar
Legal battle took longer than law school
- You don't have to be an American citizen to be a lawyer in America, the California Supreme Court ruled today, in a case that NBC News believes could set a national precedent. The court ruled that Sergio Garcia (no, not
Sergio Garcia) must be admitted to the State...
Found Living in
Jun 14, 2013 7:51 AM CDT
Nazi Commander Found Living in Minnesota
AP tracks down SS veteran Michael Karkoc, whose unit massacred civilians
- The AP has uncovered evidence that the commander of a Nazi SS unit has been living for decades in Minnesota, having lied about his wartime experience to immigration officials. Michael Karkoc, 94, led a unit accused of burning Ukrainian villages and slaughtering the civilians within, including women and children. And...
an Individual Mandate
May 29, 2013 12:06 PM CDT
an Individual Mandate
... but only for undocumented immigrants
- House Republicans drafting new immigration reforms are in talks over a rule that would require undocumented immigrants to buy their own health insurance before they can gain citizenship, reports Politico . It seems a surprising about-face from a party that has been so vehemently opposed to an individual mandate for citizens—...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.