Several more national retailers have joined Walmart in pulling a batch of powdered infant formula from their shelves after a Missouri newborn who consumed it apparently died of a rare bacterial infection, the companies said today. Officials at Supervalu, Walgreens, Kroger, and Safeway say they have removed 12.5-ounce cans of Enfamil Newborn with the lot number ZP1K7G from various stores across the country as a precaution until federal health officials complete tests on the formula.
Ten-day-old Avery Cornett died Sunday after getting sick several days earlier; preliminary hospital tests indicated he died of a rare infection caused by bacteria known as Cronobacter sakazakii. The source of the bacteria that caused the infection hasn't been determined, but it can be found in dried milk and powdered formula as well as naturally in the environment and in plants such as wheat and rice. Investigators have collected samples of both liquid and powdered formula used by Avery's family as well as unopened formula purchased at area stores. Formula manufacturer Mead Johnson Nutrition said earlier this week that tests showed the batch was negative for the bacteria before it was shipped. (Read more Enfamil stories.)