X

Mexico Reports: Teen Dies From Girlfriend's Hickey

A blood clot reportedly traveled to his brain in a matter of hours
By Elizabeth Armstrong Moore,  Newser Staff
Posted Aug 30, 2016 9:20 AM CDT

(Newser) – A teen boy appears to be the second known case of a hickey causing a stroke and the first of that love bite being lethal. Julio Macias Gonzalez, who was just 17, began convulsing during dinner with his family in Mexico City the day after spending the night with his 24-year-old girlfriend and died at the scene, reports the Independent via local media reports. According to those reports, doctors think that suction from the hickey was so strong it caused a blood clot, which traveled to the teen's brain and resulted in a stroke.

story continues below

Bizarre as it sounds, Time reports on a similar case of a hickey causing a stroke. The 44-year-old did not die, however, and her case study was written up in the New Zealand Medical Journal in 2010 as "a rare phenomenon." Her clot traveled to her heart, caused a minor stroke, and was treated quickly. (These Olympic athletes were sporting bruises, not hickeys.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X