Calif. Man OK With Getting $211M Less From Monsanto

Dewayne Johnson could have demanded a new trial
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Nov 1, 2018 9:35 AM CDT
In this Oct. 10, 2018, file photo, plaintiff Dewayne Johnson, a groundskeeper who says Roundup caused his cancer, leaves a courtroom in San Francisco.   (AP Photo/Paul Elias, File)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – A Northern California groundskeeper said Wednesday that he'll accept a judge's reduced verdict of $78 million against Monsanto after a jury found the company's weed killer caused his cancer. Dewayne Johnson's attorney formally informed the San Francisco Superior Court that he wouldn't contest the judge's decision to reduce a jury's original $289 million award. Johnson could have demanded a new trial. A jury unanimously decided in August that Monsanto's Roundup weed killer caused Johnson's cancer. His doctor testified that the 46-year-old has less than three years to live. Johnson's spokeswoman says his attorney disagrees with the judge's settlement reduction, but will accept the lower amount in hopes of achieving "a final resolution within his lifetime."

The jury awarded $250 million in punitive damages to Johnson after it found that the St. Louis-based agribusiness had purposely ignored warnings and evidence that its popular Roundup product causes cancer, including Johnson's lymphoma. But Judge Suzanne Bolanos ruled earlier this month that was too high and reduced the punitive damage to $39 million to match the other damages the jury awarded Johnson, reports the AP. Punitive damages are designed to punish companies that juries determine have purposely misbehaved and to deter others from operating similarly. Monsanto is facing 8,000 similar lawsuits across the country. (Roundup may be doing a number on bees also.)


My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
8%
15%
15%
39%
6%
18%