President Trump addressed the Conservative Political Action Conference for more than two hours Saturday, going off-script frequently in what ended up being the longest speech of his presidency, reports NBC News. "This is how I got elected, by being off script," said Trump. "And if we don’t go off script, our country is in big trouble, folks. ‘Cause we have to get it back." See highlights in this three-minute video from the Washington Post. Now that the dust has settled, media outlets have had time to pick out notable lines. Here are 8 examples, from sources including Politico and the Atlantic:
- Strong word: "Unfortunately you put the wrong people in a couple of positions, and they leave people for a long time that should not be there and all of a sudden they're trying to take you out with bull----."
- Mocking Jeff Sessions: "Now Robert Mueller never received a vote, and neither did the person that appointed him," he said, referring to former AG Jeff Sessions. "As you know the attorney general says, ‘I’m going to recuse myself.’ And I said, 'Why the hell didn't he tell me that before I put him in?'" (He adopted a Southern accent for Session's voice.)
- China and trade: "President Xi of China, we have a great relationship, I say, 'How is it possible that you got away with this for so long?' And he said, 'Because nobody ever asked us to change.' It’s true."
- On hating America: "Right now we have people in Congress that hate our country. And you know that, and we can name every one of them if we want. They hate our country."
- On the Green New Deal: "No planes. No energy. When the wind stops blowing, that is the end of your electric. Let's hurry up. ‘Darling, darling, is the wind blowing today? I would like to watch television, darling.'" (What backers of the initiative say.)
- Otto Warmbier: "We got our great people back," said Trump, referring to negotiations with North Korea to free US citizens. "And that includes our beautiful, beautiful Otto. Otto Warmbier, whose parents I’ve gotten to know, who’s incredible. And I am in such a horrible position because, in one way, I have to negotiate. In the other way, I love Mr. and Mrs. Warmbier, and I love Otto. It is a very, very delicate balance. He was a special young man and to see what happened was so bad." (Read about the controversy.)
- Immigrants, rape: "Mothers who love their daughters give them massive amounts of birth control pills because they know their daughters are going to be raped on the way up to our Southern border."
- Executive order: "Today I'm proud to announce that I will be very soon signing an executive order requiring colleges and universities to support free speech if they want federal research dollars. If they want our dollars, and we give it to them by the billions, they've got to allow people ... to speak. Free speech."
(Read more President Trump