The usual admonitions we hear at this time of year about eating right are probably going in one ear and out the other, so perhaps these unusual health-food suspects from Men’s Health will catch your attention as you prepare that New Year’s resolution.
- Celery: Its phytochemicals are thought to lower blood pressure. Bonus: It’s great in Bloody Marys.
- Seaweed: High in potassium and calcium, which lower blood pressure. You’re most likely to see it wrapped around sushi.
- Hemp seeds: No, you can’t smoke ‘em, but the good fatty acids cut the risk of heart attack and stroke. An easy addition to oatmeal.
- Scallops: Packed with protein, they also provide magnesium and potassium.
- Dark meat: Not much more caloric than white meat, and contains “a hormone that makes you feel fuller, longer,” one doc says.
- Lentils: Lots of fiber, which fills you up; use them as a substitute for pasta or rice.
(Read more health food