Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Redwoods Surprise Scientists
With a Survival Tactic
Dec 4, 2023 11:03 AM CST
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Decades-old reserves of carbon brought centuries-old buds to life
- You don't survive up to 2,000 years without learning a trick or two, and ancient redwoods in California have revealed one of theirs to researchers. Some of the trees that were thought to have been damaged beyond repair during 2020 wildfires in Big Basin Redwoods State Park are...
2 More Arrested in Felling
of Sycamore Gap Tree
Nov 1, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
2 More Arrested in Felling of Sycamore Gap Tree
Pair of 30-something men are released on bail, but not charged yet
- Two more men have been arrested in the investigation into who cut down the world-famous Sycamore Gap tree, police in England said Wednesday. The men, whom the AP reports are both in their 30s, were released on bail Tuesday without being charged in the felling of the iconic sycamore that...
Sycamore Gap Tree
to Head to Secret Spot
Oct 11, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
Sycamore Gap Tree to Head to Secret Spot
It needs to be moved off Hadrian's wall
- Since an act of vandalism took it down in late September, England's storied Sycamore Gap tree has lain where it fell. That will change on Thursday, when a crane will lift the 50-foot tree off of Hadrian's Wall so it can be put into storage—at a National...
Journalist Held by China Sees
a Tree for First Time in Years
Oct 11, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Journalist Held by China Sees a Tree for First Time in Years
China's Ministry of State Security said Cheng Lei had served her sentence
- After being held in China since her August 2020 arrest, journalist Cheng Lei is back home in Australia. The BBC reports she was "tried in secret" in China in March on national security charges, and China's Ministry of State Security on Wednesday said she'd pleaded guilty and...
There's Still Hope for
Iconic Tree Felled in UK
Sep 29, 2023 10:07 AM CDT
There's Still Hope for Iconic Tree Felled in UK
The stump is healthy, but sycamore will take centuries to regrow to former size, expert say
- The British are mourning one of the country's most famous trees, a centuries-old sycamore that was felled Wednesday night in what authorities have described as an appalling act of vandalism. But the Sycamore Gap tree, which grew in a gap between hills along Hadrian's Wall in northern England,...
After Felling of Iconic Tree
Sep 28, 2023 11:19 AM CDT
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Sycamore Gap tree in Northumberland, England, is cut down, and a teen is in custody
- Authorities in northern England have arrested a 16-year-old boy who is accused of cutting down a world-famous tree, reports the BBC . The unidentified teen is being held on suspicion of criminal damage over the felling of the tree near Hadrian's Wall, a landmark from the Roman Empire, per the...
Symbol of Hope
Emerges in Lahaina
Sep 21, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
Symbol of Hope Emerges in Lahaina
Hawaiian town's scorched banyan tree sprouts new leaves after intensive treatment
- Among a sea of brown, black, and gray, a hint of green in the scorched Maui town of Lahaina is cause for celebration. Locals have spotted new growth on the 150-year-old banyan tree that serves as a landmark at the center of the town largely destroyed in the Aug. 8...
Man Allegedly Killed Neighbor's
Son Over Tree Trimming
Sep 20, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Man Allegedly Killed Neighbor's Son Over Tree Trimming
Edward Druzolowski, 78, has been charged with 2nd-degree murder in death of Brian Ford
- A Florida man allegedly shot his neighbor's son Sunday after the two argued over tree trimming along a shared fence line. The Volusia Sheriff's Office wrote in a Facebook post that Brian Ford, 42, was trimming tree limbs along the fence line between 1880 and 1890 Alameda Drive...
Amid Maui Destruction, the
'Heartbeat of Lahaina' Endures
Aug 11, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Amid Maui Destruction, the 'Heartbeat of Lahaina' Endures
Historic 150-year-old banyan tree is scorched but still standing—for now
- The wildfire that's been tearing across the island of Maui has proven devastating, with people forced to leap into the ocean to escape the smoke and flames and a growing death toll of more than 50 . The city of Lahaina, once the capital of the Hawaiian Kingdom, was especially...
Golf Tourney Was Proceeding
Nicely. Then, 'Mayhem'
Apr 8, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Golf Tourney Was Proceeding Nicely. Then, 'Mayhem'
3 giant pines fall during Masters at Georgia's Augusta National Golf Club; there were no injuries
- It was "Masters mayhem" on Friday, per the
, after three giant trees toppled over onto the course during the pro golf championship at Augusta National Golf Club. CBS Sports reports that the Georgia pines fell near the 17th hole during the second round of play, right before the...
Boy Scout Troop's
Hike Ends in Tragedy
Mar 6, 2023 6:25 AM CST
Boy Scout Troop's Hike Ends in Tragedy
Mom of one of the Scouts is killed by falling tree in California's Rancho San Antonio County Park
- A Boy Scout troop's hike turned tragic over the weekend after a falling tree killed the mom of one of its members. Per NBC Bay Area and KPIX , the group from Sunnyvale was trekking through Rancho San Antonio County Park in Cupertino at around 10am on Sunday, in a...
In One State, Drought
Has Led to 'Firmaggedon'
Dec 11, 2022 4:35 PM CST
In One State, Drought Has Led to 'Firmaggedon'
Oregon saw 1.1M acres of dead firs in 2022
- Drought across the nation, especially in the West, has affected produce , homeowners' water use , and power production . But in Oregon, there's a new problem that's cropped up from the ultra-dry conditions: a historic tree die-off, in which surveyors found 1.1 million acres of dead firs in 2022....
Half of World's
Go On the
Sep 27, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Half of World's Palm Trees Go On the 'Red List'
Which means they're at risk of extinction
- A new study presents an alarming stat about what researchers call a "keystone" family of trees—more than half of the world's species of palm trees face extinction. The study in
Nature Ecology and Evolution
finds that more than 1,000 of the 1,900 different species are...
Against Homeless Called
Aug 30, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
Township's Move Against Homeless Called 'Extremely Extreme'
Activists say Lakewood, New Jersey, could have built a shelter rather than cut down shade trees
- The township of Lakewood, New Jersey, is facing criticism for what activists say is an "extremely extreme" move to deter homeless people from congregating in the town square. Mayor Ray Coles said the township opted to cut down shade trees, based on a recommendation from police, after numerous complaints...
He Hiked 5 Days,
Found Trees Where
They Shouldn't Be
Aug 20, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
He Hiked 5 Days, Found Trees Where They Shouldn't Be
Spruce trees are now growing in the Arctic tundra
- White spruces are migrating north to places where trees haven’t grown for a thousand years. That's not a good thing. As Quartz reports, the trees are normally found in the boreal forests that dominate central Alaska. Climate models have predicted such forests migrating northward as the planet warms,...
We're Losing an Astounding
Number of Trees to Fire
Aug 17, 2022 1:08 PM CDT
We're Losing an Astounding Number of Trees to Fire
New report finds global tree loss is twice what it was 2 decades ago
- Studies about deforestation are nothing new, but a new report from Global Forest Watch takes a very specific view: It looks at trees lost to wildfires in 2021, and the findings aren't encouraging. Almost 23 million acres were lost to forest fires, which the BBC reports is equivalent to...
We're Making a Mistake
in Our View of Grasslands
Aug 9, 2022 8:35 AM CDT
We're Making a Mistake in Our View of Grasslands
'Atlantic': Trees get all the glory, but these ecosystems may be vital to fighting climate change
- You're no doubt familiar with the phrase "old-growth forest." But "old-growth grassland?" For the uninitiated, Julia Rosen provides a big-picture overview in the
under the provocative headline, "Trees Are Overrated." That headline speaks to a widespread bias—even among ecologists—that forests are...
Visiting the World's
Tallest Tree Could Cost You
Aug 1, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Visiting the World's Tallest Tree Could Cost You
Hyperion is off-limits, California's Redwood National Park makes clear
- If laying eyes on the world's tallest tree is on your bucket list, brace yourself for disappointment. CNN reports California's Redwood National Park last week made clear that Hyperion, as the tree is known, is off-limits. Anyone caught in the vicinity of the 380-foot-tall tree will face up...
Noble Goal or
Jul 23, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Planting a Trillion Trees: Noble Goal or Fool's Errand?
It's touted as a way to save the planet ... maybe
- It's a number that's hard to wrap your head around, but a concept that is easy to grasp: Let's save the planet by planting 1 trillion trees. In a lengthy piece for the
New York Times Magazine
, Zach St. George examines the noble goal—how it originated,...
His Grandfather Found a Tree
That Could Be Planet's Oldest
in case you missed it
May 29, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
His Grandfather Found a Tree That Could Be Planet's Oldest
Dr. Jonathan Barichivich's modeling indicates it could be 5,484 years old
- Great-Grandfather is a pretty appropriate name for this tree, though Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-etc. might be more accurate. A Chilean scientist based in Paris says an Alerce tree (also known as Alerce Milenario) located in Chile might actually be the world's oldest tree—by a longshot. Dr. Jonathan Barichivich suspects it is...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.