Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Trump, Macron's 'Friendship'
Tree Vanished. Now, Bad News
Jun 10, 2019 9:08 AM CDT
Trump, Macron's 'Friendship' Tree Vanished. Now, Bad News
French media says oak sapling died while in required quarantine
- Where an oak sapling once stood on the White House lawn, now lies an empty patch of grass—and the French media are using it as "a metaphor ... for the deteriorating relations between the US and Europe," per Deutsche Welle . The tree that used to stand on that...
Country's New Law
Could Bring 525B
New Trees to
May 31, 2019 12:15 PM CDT
Country's New Law Could Bring 525B New Trees to the World
Philippines bill would mandate students plant at least 10 trees each before graduating
- Advocates for a new bill in the Philippines say it could result in 525 billion new trees over the course of a generation, and the ones set to be on the front lines for this initiative are students. The
and CNN Philippines report on the proposed legislation, which mandates...
Surprise Find in
This Mountain Lion
Feb 18, 2019 7:46 AM CST
Surprise Find in Backyard Tree: This Mountain Lion
Calif. firefighters, wildlife officials converged on the scene to remove the big cat
- When you've got a cat stuck in a tree, call the fire department. When you've got a
big cat stuck in a tree—well, still call the fire department and they'll see what they can do. California firefighters came through with flying colors when that exact...
Plea to Tree Thieves:
Please Water the Bonsai
Feb 12, 2019 8:55 AM CST
Plea to Tree Thieves: Please Water the Bonsai
Japanese couple mourning loss of 7 'tree babies'
- Victims of a recent theft in Japan have a plea for the thieves: Please water our "tree babies." Seiji Iimura, a bonsai master whose family has dabbled in the art form for centuries, and his wife, Fuyumi Iimura, are sharing detailed care instructions for seven miniature bonsai trees...
Brothers Who Cleared
1.4K Trees Face $450K Fine
Oct 23, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
Brothers Who Cleared 1.4K Trees Face $450K Fine
Michigan township says they needed permission; brothers say it's 'misguided overreach'
- An attorney for two brothers calls it "misguided overreach," but a Michigan township says it's a necessary move to keep local trees in place. All that Gary and Matt Percy know is they're now facing a possible fine of more than $450,000 after they cleared...
One of the World's Biggest
Organisms Is in Trouble
Oct 18, 2018 8:27 AM CDT
One of the World's Biggest Organisms Is in Trouble
A Utah forest of genetically identical aspen trees is dying, says new study
- You wouldn't know it to look at it, but a forest of aspen trees in Utah qualifies as one of the biggest—certainly the heaviest at 13 million pounds—living organisms on the planet. And scientists say it's in real danger for the first time in millennia, reports...
Unusual Investment Strategy
Misfires 30 Years Later
Oct 9, 2018 11:26 AM CDT
Unusual Investment Strategy Misfires 30 Years Later
Lots of Southerners planted trees 30 years ago; now they're ready to harvest, but there's a glut
- It's not a strategy that typically comes up in investment planning: plant a field of pine trees. But as the
Wall Street Journal
reports, it made much sense to thousands of Southerners about 30 years ago, thanks in part to a federal incentive to reforest the land. "If...
She Was Surveying the Land.
Then the Wolves Came
Jul 13, 2018 8:39 AM CDT
She Was Surveying the Land. Then the Wolves Came
Woman scoots up tree in Washington state, is rescued by helicopter
- Dispatchers in Okanogan, Wash., received an unusual call right around lunchtime Thursday: A woman phoned to say she was perched 30 feet up in a tree near a local campground, with wolves hovering at the bottom and waiting for her to come down, the AP reports. The research student said...
Scientists Make Alarming
Find About Ancient Trees
in case you missed it
Jun 16, 2018 10:30 AM CDT
Scientists Make Alarming Find About Ancient Trees
Africa's oldest baobabs are dying, quickly
- Researchers taking a survey of some of the world's oldest and funkiest trees have bad news to report: Africa's legendary baobabs are dying. The statistic getting the most attention out of the new study in
is that eight of the continent's 13 oldest baobabs have...
Nazis' Attempt to Cloak Its
Ship Affected Norway's Trees
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 15, 2018 8:21 AM CDT
Nazis' Attempt to Cloak Its Ship Affected Norway's Trees
The Tirptiz tried to create a 'chemical fog'
- A German dendrochronologist stumbled on something puzzling while gathering wood cores on the Norwegian coast in 2016: some trees were missing rings. "We got back to the lab and measured the tree rings, and saw that they were very narrow—in some cases nearly absent—for 1945," Claudia...
Woman Marries Landmark
Tree in Bid To Save It
Mar 26, 2018 6:00 PM CDT
Woman Marries Landmark Tree in Bid To Save It
The 100-year-old ficus could get the axe in a Florida park
- A Florida woman who's hoping to save a 100-year-old tree from being cut down held a wedding ceremony in which she pledged to honor and protect the imposing ficus. Karen Cooper wants to save the landmark Ft. Myers tree, whose 8,000-foot canopy graces a park near her home....
Good News for Chilly
NYC Trees: Sweaters Stay
Mar 8, 2018 9:30 AM CST
Good News for Chilly NYC Trees: Sweaters Stay
City's parks department reverses decision to take down crocheted sweaters in West Village
- The New York City Department of Parks & Recreation says a cluster of trees in a Manhattan neighborhood can keep their crocheted sweaters, reports the AP . The department says it has reversed a prior decision to remove the trees' sweaters after residents of the West Village neighborhood told the
As American Forests Change,
One Tree Is Emerging
in case you missed it
Mar 3, 2018 7:00 AM CST
As American Forests Change, One Tree Is Emerging
Beech is booming, but that may be bad news overall as temperatures rise
- Beech trees are dominating the woodlands of the northeastern United States as the climate changes, and that could be bad news for the forests and people who work in them, according to a group of scientists. The scientists say the move toward beech-heavy forests is associated with higher temperatures and...
A White House
Staple for Nearly
200 Years Is
Dec 26, 2017 9:00 AM CST
A White House Staple for Nearly 200 Years Is Vanishing
Magnolia tree planted by Andrew Jackson in memory of his wife is too decayed to stay up
- The oldest tree at the White House is set to be taken down later this week, bringing to an end a piece of Americana that's been in place in DC since the mid-1800s. Per CNN , the Jackson Magnolia, one of several magnolias on the presidential grounds, has been the...
Christmas Tree Cost $57K
Dec 22, 2017 11:30 AM CST
Rome's 'Traumatized' Christmas Tree Cost $57K
Locals aren't pleased
- Rome wasn't built in a day, but it looks like its Christmas tree may have been. The "toilet brush" of a tree now standing in one of the city's busiest public squares and being roundly mocked in Italy and around the world makes Charlie Brown's Christmas...
Amazon's Deforested Areas
Could See 73M New Trees
Nov 7, 2017 10:56 AM CST
Amazon's Deforested Areas Could See 73M New Trees
Seeding effort aims to restore 74,000 acres of rainforest
- The Amazon rainforest's "arc of deforestation" could soon have 73 million new trees. In an effort to reseed 74,000 acres of the Amazon—20% of which has been destroyed in the last 40 years—Conservation International, the World Bank, Brazil's environmental ministry, and several other groups...
Ash Trees May Disappear
in Eastern US
Sep 14, 2017 8:38 AM CDT
Ash Trees May Disappear in Eastern US
Emerald ash borer has 5 species on the brink of extinction
- Five prominent species of ash tree in the eastern US have been driven to the brink of extinction from years of lethal attack by a beetle, a scientific group says. Tens of millions of trees in the US and Canada have already succumbed, and the toll may eventually reach more...
Jun 18, 2017 1:05 PM CDT
Life After Death? Maybe as a Tree
Barcelona brothers say Bio Urns solve a host of burial problems
- Whether you want to be buried or cremated, critics see two major problems with our modern burial process: We're running out of space for our billions of remains, and we're polluting the planet in the process. Inhabitat , for instance, calls modern burial downright "toxic." But a...
These Trees Know Where
They Are on the Planet
Jun 9, 2017 7:29 AM CDT
These Trees Know Where They Are on the Planet
Cook pines mysteriously lean toward the equator
- Most trees grow straight, but the Cook pine leans another way. As a new study reveals, the tree leans toward the equator no matter where it grows, giving it what Science Alert calls a "drunken-looking slant." Matthew Ritter of California Polytechnic State University first became curious about the...
Jun 4, 2017 3:30 PM CDT
Poachers' New Target: Ancient Trees
This natural resource is centuries in the making, and the black market is thriving
- When Colin Hepburn, member of the activist group Wilderness Committee, was walking through the woods in May of 2012 in Canada’s Carmanah Walbran Provincial Park, he came across the remains of an 800-year-old cedar tree. It had stood at almost 200 feet, and it was gone, cut off at...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Great Barrier Reef Just 'Gave Birth'
New COVID Variant Is a 'Big Jump in Evolution'
Snowboarding Legend Dies in Filming Accident
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Wrongfully Jailed at 18, He's Now a Millionaire
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.