Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge Tosses Girl Scouts' Suit
Arguing Branding Confusion
Apr 7, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Judge Tosses Girl Scouts' Suit Arguing Branding Confusion
Boy Scouts can avoid gender references by using 'scouting,' ruling says
: The Girl Scouts have lost the legal argument that its brand and recruiting efforts have been damaged by the wording used by Boy Scouts in marketing. Because Boy Scouts are entitled to leave gender out of it by using "scouting" and similar terms, "there are no issues...
From the Taliban,
an 'Unexpected Decision'
Mar 23, 2022 7:48 AM CDT
From the Taliban, an 'Unexpected Decision'
Afghanistan's de facto rulers break promise, won't open schools to girls above 6th grade
- Afghanistan's Taliban rulers decided against opening schools to girls above the sixth grade, reneging on a previous promise and opting to appease their hardline base at the expense of further alienating the international community. The unexpected decision, confirmed by a Taliban official Wednesday, came at the start of the...
Girl, 10, Drew a
Picture at School.
Then Cops Arrested Her
Oct 21, 2021 12:05 PM CDT
Girl, 10, Drew a Picture at School. Then Cops Arrested Her
ACLU of Hawaii demands $500K in damages, plus reforms
- The American Civil Liberties Union of Hawaii is demanding $500,000 in damages after a 10-year-old Black girl was arrested at school over a drawing. A parent of a student at Honowai Elementary School outside Honolulu demanded staff call police in response to the girl's drawing, which allegedly depicted...
at Scene of Car
Crash: 'She's Driving?'
Jun 3, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Incredulous Cop at Scene of Car Crash: 'She's Driving?'
Utah girls, 9 and 4, had tried to drive to the ocean but ended up slamming into tractor-trailer
- We're all eager for summer to get started, but two little girls from West Jordan, Utah, simply couldn't wait a single minute more. NBC News reports that police responding to an early morning accident in West Valley City on Wednesday got quite a shock when they found out...
Feb 1, 2021 8:11 AM CST
Rochester Cops Shown Cuffing, Pepper-Spraying 9-Year-Old Girl
Bodycam footage out of upstate NY has department vowing to make a 'culture change'
- "This video, as a mother, is not anything you want to see." That was Lovely Warren, mayor of Rochester, NY, on Sunday morning, reacting just before the city released body camera footage of an incident Friday afternoon involving the city's police and a local child. Per the...
'Sneaker' Wave Sweeps
4-Year-Old Off Beach
Dec 8, 2020 9:55 AM CST
'Sneaker' Wave Sweeps 4-Year-Old Off Beach
Luckily, an anonymous rescuer dove into the waters near Calif.'s Clam Beach to save little Aeris
- In the shock of having witnessed the near-death of her daughter, Sincee George forgot to ask the name of the man who saved her. Now she's reaching out with thanks courtesy of the Lost Coast Outpost , which reports the Nov. 25 rescue came at the scariest moment of George'...
3-Year-Old Girl Goes
Airborne at Kite Festival
Aug 30, 2020 4:10 PM CDT
3-Year-Old Girl Goes Airborne at Kite Festival
The Taiwanese crowd is shocked as girl twists in the air
- A 3-year-old girl in Taiwan was reported safe after becoming caught in the strings of a kite and lifted several meters into the air, the AP reports. The unidentified girl was taking part in a kite festival Sunday in the seaside town of Nanlioao when she was caught up by...
Katy Perry Reveals
Baby's Gender, on
Orlando Bloom's Face
Apr 4, 2020 8:00 AM CDT
Katy Perry Reveals Baby's Gender, on Orlando Bloom's Face
Singer, 'American Idol' judge says she's having a girl
- A month ago, Katy Perry dropped the major news that she's pregnant with her first child. Now, an update: It's a girl. The 35-year-old singer made what
calls "a very messy reveal" Friday on Instagram, along with a photo of her 43-year-old fiance, Orlando Bloom, his...
Modern Girls Hit Puberty a Year
Earlier Than '70s Counterparts
Feb 11, 2020 8:26 AM CST
Modern Girls Hit Puberty a Year Earlier Than '70s Counterparts
Researchers say obesity, environmental chemicals could be to blame
- If it seems like girls these days are hitting puberty earlier than in decades past, you're not imagining things—and researchers now suggest obesity and environmental chemicals may be playing a role. The
reports on new research out of the University of Copenhagen that looked at 30 global...
A Foul Ball Hit a Girl's Head.
7 Months Later, an Update
Jan 8, 2020 12:20 PM CST
A Foul Ball Hit a Girl's Head. 7 Months Later, an Update
Child hurt at Astros game has permanent brain injury, may have to take meds for life: lawyer
- A young girl hit by a foul ball during a Houston Astros game in May has a permanent brain injury, a lawyer for her family says. Attorney Richard Mithoff tells the
that the 2 1/2-year-old—who suffered a skull fracture at Minute Maid Park in Houston on May...
10-Year-Old Girl Dies After
Plane Takes Off From LAX
Dec 27, 2019 12:23 PM CST
10-Year-Old Girl Dies After Plane Takes Off From LAX
Janice Xu is believed to have suffered cardiac arrest on flight from LA to Seattle
- A young girl was pronounced dead Thursday at Los Angeles International Airport after she suffered an apparent cardiac arrest on her Delta Air Lines flight that had just taken off for Seattle, forcing the plane to return due to the medical emergency, CBS News reports. CBS Los Angeles notes the...
Girl Visiting Dad in Jail Had
to Do 'Traumatizing' Thing First
Dec 6, 2019 9:22 AM CST
Girl Visiting Dad in Jail Had to Do 'Traumatizing' Thing First
Civil rights activists are outraged 8-year-old was strip-searched at Virginia correctional facility
- An 8-year-old who visited her dad in a Virginia prison received an unpleasant surprise there that has civil rights activists outraged. The
reports on Nov. 24, the father's girlfriend, Diamond Peerman, took the girl to Buckingham Correctional Center in Dillwyn. Once there, a drug-sniffing dog focused on Peerman,...
In 132 Villages, All Babies for
Past 3 Months Have Been Boys
Jul 23, 2019 9:35 AM CDT
In 132 Villages, All Babies for Past 3 Months Have Been Boys
Suspicions of mass female feticide renewed in one district in India
- Birth statistics in one district in India have left local officials "baffled," per NDTV , but others have a sneaking suspicion on just what's driving the oddity. The Independent reports government data shows that, over the past three months, all 216 newborns in 132 villages across Uttarkashi in...
Girl Finds Ancient
Sword in Lake, Is Now
Sweden's 'True Queen'
Oct 5, 2018 4:41 AM CDT
Girl Finds Ancient Sword in Lake, Is Now Sweden's 'True Queen'
Saga Vanecek, 8, dug up the 1,500-year-old Iron Age weapon in Lake Vidostern
- What a museum worker calls an "amazing story" has emerged out of the south of Sweden, where a 1,500-year-old sword from the Iron Age was found in a lake—not by archaeologists or maritime researchers, but by an 8-year-old from Minneapolis. NPR reports on Saga Vanecek's discovery...
4 Girls Were
Fought Back With
Aug 15, 2018 9:35 AM CDT
4 Girls Were Attacked. They Fought Back With Fists, Coffee
Would-be kidnapper foiled by brave tweens and teens
- A group of girls foiled a kidnapping attempt in Michigan by throwing hot coffee on a male suspect who took off with authorities in hot pursuit. Bruce Hipkins, 22, was arrested on charges of unlawful imprisonment, assault, battery, and criminal sexual conduct minutes after police say he assaulted four girls...
US Girls Self-Harming, Trying
Suicide at Increasing Rate
Nov 22, 2017 9:30 AM CST
US Girls Self-Harming, Trying Suicide at Increasing Rate
Experts: Cyberbullying, substance abuse, economic stress may be contributing to trend
- Attempted suicides, drug overdoses, cutting, and other types of self-injury have increased substantially in US girls, a 15-year study of ER visits found. It's unclear why, but some mental health experts think cyberbullying, substance abuse, and economic stress from the recent recession might be contributing, the AP reports. The...
Bull Has 'Defiant'
Mar 8, 2017 8:47 AM CST
Wall Street's Famous Bronze Bull Has 'Defiant' New Frenemy
'Fearless Girl' installed by investment firm in the name of corporate gender diversity
- Wednesday is International Women's Day, as well as the International Women's Strike and "A Day Without a Woman," and one bronzed young lady isn't taking any bull when it comes to celebrating them. A New York City firm erected a statue of what Business Insider...
Set In Surprisingly Early
Jan 27, 2017 10:27 AM CST
Gender Stereotypes Set In Surprisingly Early
Girls at age 6 think boys are smarter
- A new study suggests that girls start to view boys as smarter as early as age 6. And that's even though, just a year earlier, boys and girls both associate brilliance with their own gender. "It's really heartbreaking," lead author Lin Bian of the University of...
China Is Now
Boys to Man Up
Jan 15, 2017 4:56 PM CST
China Is Now Teaching Its 'Effeminate' Boys to Man Up
New textbook 'Little Men' is being introduced in middle schools
- China is apparently concerned that its boys are becoming too effeminate. The country's solution: a masculinity-promoting school textbook called
, aimed for use in grades 4 and 5. The illustrated book talks about fathers and sons, and it encourages boys to stress their masculine side, with money management...
It's Better to Be a Girl
in Algeria Than the US
Oct 11, 2016 6:21 AM CDT
It's Better to Be a Girl in Algeria Than the US
The makeup of Congress doesn't help
- Norway, Slovenia, Israel, Algeria, and Kazakhstan are among 31 countries where it's better to be a girl than the United States of America, according to the "Opportunity Index" in a new Save the Children report on the welfare of girls worldwide. Denmark was in first place and Niger...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Roberts: The Court Didn't Need to Do This
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade
Rittenhouse to Pay for Lawsuits With Shooter Video Game
Cops: Vince Carter's Wife, Kids Hid During Burglary
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.