Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
FBI Points Finger at Well-Known
Group for Huge Crypto Heist
Apr 15, 2022 5:59 AM CDT
FBI Points Finger at Well-Known Group for Huge Crypto Heist
N. Korea's Lazarus, tied to 2014 Sony Pictures breach, is believed to be behind theft
It's a hack the BBC calls "likely one of the biggest ever to hit the crypto world," and US officials say it looks Lazarus was behind it. That's the hacker group thought to be controlled by North Korea's main intelligence agency and believed to...
He Single-Handedly Took
Down North Korea's Internet
Feb 12, 2022 5:20 PM CST
He Single-Handedly Took Down North Korea's Internet
'Wired' explains how a hacked hacker exacted revenge
- When a hacker gets hacked, how does he exact revenge? He hacks back, of course. A story at
recounts one such example of this truth that has a remarkable twist: It involves an American hacker who got ticked off at North Korea and single-handedly took down its internet. The...
Hack of News Corp
Is Blamed on China
Feb 4, 2022 1:06 PM CST
Hack of News Corp Is Blamed on China
Publisher of the 'Wall Street Journal' says journalist data was stolen
- News Corp, publisher of the
Wall Street Journal
, said Friday that hackers breached its system and stole data from journalists and other employees. A cybersecurity firm investigating the intrusion said Chinese intelligence-gathering was believed to be behind the operation, the AP reports. The news company, whose publications and businesses include...
Meet the 'Great Lost
Female Hacker of the 1980s'
Jan 29, 2022 8:15 AM CST
Meet the 'Great Lost Female Hacker of the 1980s'
Susy Thunder has had an interesting life, as the Verge explains
- Susan Headley—aka Susy Thunder—claims to be one of only three women to have slept with all four Beatles. Oh, but this is not a story about that phase of her life, when she was one of the better-known rock groupies in California in the late 1970s. No, the...
Free USB Drives
Could Be Costly
Jan 10, 2022 6:00 PM CST
Free USB Drives Could Be Costly
Hackers are loading malware and ransomware, hoping to fool users
- The gesture seems so thoughtful. A package apparently from the Department of Health and Human Services is sent to a workplace, with a note saying the USB drives inside have important information about COVID-19 guidelines. Or an Amazon "decorative gift box" arrives, containing a thank-you note, a bogus gift...
Tech Teams Rush to Plug
Software Hole Before Attacks
Dec 20, 2021 4:26 PM CST
Tech Teams Rush to Plug Software Hole Before Attacks
Hackers can use flaw to take over servers
- Criminal hackers and security experts are locked in a race over the vulnerability in Log4j software . Patches are being released, but the danger from the vulnerability has not yet passed, the
reports. When the number of sites, services, and devices at risk are added up, experts say, this...
Planned Parenthood Hack
Exposed 400K Patients' Data
Dec 2, 2021 8:32 AM CST
Planned Parenthood Hack Exposed 400K Patients' Data
Names, procedures of Los Angeles patients among information stolen
- One or more hackers acquired the names, birthdates, addresses, diagnoses, and procedures of some 400,000 patients of Planned Parenthood's Los Angeles branch in October, the organization revealed Wednesday. Someone accessed PPLA's network between Oct. 9 and Oct. 17, installed "malware/ransomware," and "exfiltrated" files, rep...
FBI Server Hacked As
100,000 Get Fake Emails
Nov 14, 2021 8:30 AM CST
FBI Server Hacked As 100,000 Get Fake Emails
Federal authorities aren't saying much
- At least 100,000 emails were sent from FBI servers in an apparent hack of the federal agencies servers. Per NBC News , the emails warned recipients that their information may be under attack from hacker Vinny Troia, who owns the cybersecurity company Night Lion Security. The emails reportedly also referenced...
US Charges Hackers, Seizes
About $6M in Ransom Funds
Nov 8, 2021 5:04 PM CST
US Charges Hackers, Seizes About $6M in Ransom Funds
A Russian and a Ukrainian believed to be REvil operatives were charged
The Justice Department has charged a Ukrainian man in connection with multiple ransomware attacks, including the July 2021 attack on Kaseya, according to a statement released today. It also seized about $6 million in ransom payments. The person who apparently took the payments, a Russian named Yevgeniy Polyanin, was...
New Trump Site
Oct 22, 2021 9:26 AM CDT
Hackers Invade New Trump Site Almost Immediately
Truth Social platform bombarded with fake accounts, pics of defecating pigs
- Donald Trump created Truth Social to "stand up to the tyranny of Big Tech," but the former president's new social media platform doesn't have the legs yet to stand up to hackers. Just a couple of hours after Trump on Wednesday introduced Truth Social and its...
Turkish Hacker Hit
Oct 18, 2021 5:25 PM CDT
Turkish Hacker Hit Trump Website
'Do not be like those who forget Allah,' message said
- The "action" section of Donald Trump's website carried an unusual message in English and Turkish on Monday: "Do not be like those who forget Allah, so Allah made them forget themselves. Here they really went astray." The page had been defaced by Turkish hacktivist group RootAyyildiz,...
In Florida Hack,
Oct 12, 2021 4:06 PM CDT
In Florida Hack, Planes Needing Maintenance Were Cleared
Lauren Lide, 26, has been arrested in connection with the Jan. 12, 2020 hack
- On Jan 12, 2020, the CEO of a Florida flight school logged into his computer; what he saw didn't make sense. Derek Fallon of Melbourne Flight Training said that planes he knew to have been shelved for maintenance were cleared, meaning aircraft that might not have been safe to...
Hacker Behind $610M Crypto
Theft: I Had Good Intentions
Aug 13, 2021 7:54 AM CDT
Hacker Behind $610M Crypto Theft: I Had Good Intentions
Almost all of the stolen funds have been returned by 'Mr. White Hat'
- It seems pleading worked. Poly Network, which urged hackers to return more than $610 million in cryptocurrency stolen from its decentralized finance platform this week in one of the largest ever cryptocurrency thefts, says almost all of the assets have been returned. In a Thursday tweet, the platform said the...
Cryptocurrency Platform to
Hackers: Please Return $600M
Aug 11, 2021 8:41 AM CDT
Cryptocurrency Platform to Hackers: Please Return $600M
Crypto heist at decentralized finance platform Poly Network may be largest ever
- Hackers have stolen more than $600 million worth of cryptocurrency in what is "likely to be one of the biggest cryptocurrency thefts ever," reports CNBC . In a message to the hackers, Poly Network, a platform allowing users to transfer tokens between different blockchains, said "the amount of...
Hacked Dozens of
Jul 31, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
DOJ: Russians Hacked Dozens of Federal Prosecutors
More than 2 dozen US attorney offices had emails breached, per Justice Department
- The Russian hackers behind the massive SolarWinds cyberespionage campaign broke into the email accounts some of the most prominent federal prosecutors' offices around the country last year, the Justice Department said. The department noted that 80% of Microsoft email accounts used by employees in the four US attorney offices in...
US Blames China
for Huge Microsoft Hack
Jul 19, 2021 6:59 AM CDT
US Blames China for Huge Microsoft Hack
Other nations join in finger-pointing over breach that hit computers worldwide
- The Biden administration on Monday blamed China for a hack of Microsoft Exchange email server software that compromised tens of thousands of computers around the world earlier this year , per the AP . The Justice Department announced charges against four Chinese nationals who prosecutors said were working with the Ministry of...
Hackers Post Phone Number
of Iran's Supreme Leader
Jul 9, 2021 3:39 PM CDT
Hackers Post Phone Number of Iran's Supreme Leader
They also disrupt rail service in the country
- Hackers were blamed for disruptions in Iran's rail service on Friday, with a state broadcaster reporting "unprecedented chaos at railway stations across the country." The national railway website, ticket offices, and cargo services were affected, per Reuters , causing trips to be delayed and canceled. Boards in stations...
The Bank Was on Jupiter St.
That Fact Ruined Their Plot
Jul 5, 2021 1:00 AM CDT
The Bank Was on Jupiter St. That Fact Ruined Their Plot
BBC explains how a North Korean hack was foiled because street name set off alarms
- Remember the giant hack of Sony Pictures in 2014? A lengthy piece from the BBC makes the case that it was merely a "dry run" for a much larger hack two years later, one resulting in perhaps the most brazen bank heist in history. The FBI has long blamed...
'It Was a
Jun 8, 2021 1:34 PM CDT
Hacked CEO: 'It Was a Complicated Password'
Colonial chief executive is grilled by Senate panel over last month's pipeline hack
- It may not be the strongest of defenses, but it was the best that the CEO of Colonial Pipeline had to offer on Tuesday. Addressing a Senate panel over the hacking that shut down the flow of gasoline to parts of the US last month, Joseph Blount acknowledged that hackers...
Feds Seize Payment
Made to Pipeline Hackers
Jun 7, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
Feds Seize Payment Made to Pipeline Hackers
FBI led operation to recover Colonial Pipeline ransom payment from crypto wallet
- The hackers who targeted the operator of a vital US pipeline system in a ransomware attack have lost most of their ill-gotten gains, the Justice Department says. Officials said Monday that a new FBI ransomware taskforce led an operation to recover ransom paid in cryptocurrency by Colonial Pipeline, the AP...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
Carlson Asked Unexpected Person for Favor for His Son
Suspects' Mercedes-Benz Getting Loads of Attention
Even Students Didn't Like This Senior Prank: 'Not Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.