Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
East Coast Rattled by
Fake Tsunami Warning
Feb 6, 2018 10:16 AM CST
East Coast Rattled by Fake Tsunami Warning
National Weather Service says issue may have been AccuWeather app glitch
- It's deja vu all over again, with the fear based in the Atlantic, not the Pacific, this time. A routine National Weather Service test on Tuesday resulted in a false push notification to mobile phones about a tsunami warning, giving a jolt to many residents on the East Coast...
Taiwan's New Passports
Had One Big Problem
Dec 29, 2017 9:11 AM CST
Taiwan's New Passports Had One Big Problem
They used a photo of Dulles airport in DC, not one in Taiwan; official resigns
- An official in Taiwan has stepped down from her post after what looks to be a multimillion-dollar mistake involving hundreds of thousands of passports. Focus Taiwan reports that Agnes Chen, the chief of the country's Bureau of Consular Affairs, resigned Wednesday after it was discovered the nation's new...
Passengers Gave Away Their
Blankets. Things Got Crazy
Dec 27, 2017 10:05 AM CST
Passengers Gave Away Their Blankets. Things Got Crazy
2 black professional basketball players were accused of theft, kicked off plane in Dallas
- American Airlines has apologized to two black professional basketball players who were kicked off a plane in Dallas after a flight attendant accused them of stealing blankets. Airline spokesman Joshua Freed said Tuesday that Memphis Hustle guard Marquis Teague and forward Trahson Burrell boarded the flight bound for Sioux Falls,...
Great British Bake Off
'Mortified' by Her Own Tweet
Nov 1, 2017 8:17 AM CDT
Great British Bake Off
Judge 'Mortified' by Her Own Tweet
Prue Leith prematurely gave away winner of show, with no spoiler alert
- A judge on
The Great British Bake Off
has been forced to apologize after revealing the winner hours before the final episode was scheduled to air. Prue Leith posted the name of the winner on her Twitter feed while traveling in Bhutan, which is six hours ahead of Britain, thinking...
This Is Why Everyone's Talking
About Nation of 'Nambia'
Sep 21, 2017 11:25 AM CDT
This Is Why Everyone's Talking About Nation of 'Nambia'
President Trump takes grief for referring to nonexistent country twice
- The nation that seems to be showing up in most headlines Thursday is Nambia, mainly because it doesn't actually exist. In a speech to African leaders Wednesday, President Trump referred to "Nambia" not once but twice, first in his general introduction and then later when he mentioned that...
SD Lawmaker Under Fire
Over 'All Lives Splatter' Meme
Sep 20, 2017 10:30 AM CDT
SD Lawmaker Under Fire Over 'All Lives Splatter' Meme
Rep. Lynne DiSanto says she thought it was encouraging traffic safety
- A Republican South Dakota legislator under fire for a Facebook post has apologized for a "lack of judgment." State Rep. Lynne DiSanto of Box Elder shared a meme Sept. 7 depicting stick-figure protesters being hit by an SUV. It was posted less than a month after a driver...
Detroit Billionaire on Ad:
'We Screwed Up Badly'
Jul 24, 2017 1:50 PM CDT
Detroit Billionaire on Ad: 'We Screwed Up Badly'
Dan Gilbert and his Bedrock company admit 'tone-deaf' ad was a misstep
- A billionaire businessman has apologized for his real estate company's controversial sign in downtown Detroit that says "See Detroit Like We Do" with an image of a majority white crowd. Quicken Loans founder and Cleveland Cavaliers majority owner Dan Gilbert posted on Facebook Sunday, saying the ad was...
China: US Has Apologized
for White House Gaffe
Jul 10, 2017 5:16 AM CDT
China: US Has Apologized for White House Gaffe
Release said Xi Jinping was president of Taiwan
- The United States has apologized for mistakenly describing Chinese President Xi Jinping as the leader of Taiwan, China said Monday. Foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said China asked the United States for an explanation of the mistake, and the US said it was a technical error. Washington apologized and corrected...
In Canada Day
Forgets Part of
Jul 2, 2017 8:00 AM CDT
In Canada Day Speech, Trudeau Forgets Part of ... Canada
'I'm a little embarrassed,' Trudeau admits after omitting Alberta
- "British Columbia, Yukon, the Northwest Territories, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nunavut, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia or Newfoundland, and Labrador." These are the Canadian provinces and territories rattled off by PM Justin Trudeau on Saturday in a speech in honor of Canada Day. And while one...
Out of Job After
Indy 500 Champ
May 30, 2017 6:17 AM CDT
Sportswriter Out of Job After Tweet About Indy 500 Champ
Japanese driver's victory made him 'very uncomfortable,' wrote Terry Frei
has parted ways with a prize-winning sportswriter who tweeted that he was dismayed a driver from Japan won the the Indy 500. "Nothing specifically personal, but I am very uncomfortable with a Japanese driver winning the Indianapolis 500 during Memorial Day weekend," Terry Frei tweeted...
Apr 25, 2017 10:46 AM CDT
Scott Baio Explains 'Joanie' Comments After Backlash
He suggested death of former 'Happy Days' co-star was due to drugs
- Scott Baio says he was responding to media reports when he suggested the death of his former
Joanie Loves Chachi
co-star Erin Moran may have been due to substance abuse problems. Authorities in Indiana said Monday that Moran likely died from cancer at her home on Saturday...
Has Infuriated Twitter
Apr 12, 2017 9:55 AM CDT
Weight-Loss Article Has Infuriated Twitter
People didn't like that the subject of story was an Aussie woman who had cancer
- It was like any other Tuesday on Cosmopolitan's Twitter feed, with tweets about a possible
revival, women who apply makeup with tampons , and ... a weight loss story that sent the internet into a tizzy. The offending tweet, since deleted, linked to an article titled "How This...
Poland Official Has Talks With
San Escobar. One Problem
Jan 12, 2017 10:23 AM CST
Poland Official Has Talks With San Escobar. One Problem
'San Escobar' doesn't exist
- As part of Poland's bid to get a non-permanent seat on the UN Security Council, Foreign Minister Witold Waszczykowski has been meeting with officials from countries “such as Belize or San Escobar," he told reporters. One slight problem: San Escobar does not, in fact, exist. A spokeswoman...
First Gaffe of
Before It Begins
Sep 26, 2016 7:40 PM CDT
First Gaffe of Debate Happens Before It Begins
It's Donald vs. Hilary, apparently
- Both candidates dodged a bullet on Monday night in that the first gaffe of the 2016 presidential debates was made by ... neither of them. Host Hofstra University committed the goof, by way of "last-minute" souvenir tickets it printed for the 350 of its students who managed to get a...
University Tells Would-Be
Cheerleaders How to Look
Apr 28, 2016 4:03 AM CDT
University Tells Would-Be Cheerleaders How to Look
University of Washington infographic goes over like a ton of bricks
- Newsflash: Cheerleaders should not sport ponytails. This according to a now-pulled infographic posted to Facebook by the University of Washington cheerleading team on Monday. It was ostensibly a guide for would-be Huskies, as cheerleader tryouts begin Friday. Instead, the list of Dos and Don'ts—which specified that "nude...
Mayor's Facebook Post Reveals His Porn Browsing
in case you missed it
Feb 27, 2016 7:00 AM CST
Mayor's Facebook Post Reveals His Porn Browsing
Besides, the Internet connection was too slow to actually watch any of it
- It was only research. So says a German mayor who, via a post on his town's official Facebook page, inadvertently busted himself for checking out online porn. Thomas Koppl of Quickborn, in the course of a political debate, posted a screenshot of the German constitution to Facebook. He neglected...
Feb 26, 2016 10:30 AM CST
Hillary Regrets 'Superpredator' Remark Made in 1996
'I shouldn't have used those words,' she now says
- When Black Lives Matter activist Ashley Williams confronted Hillary Clinton on her record on race and crime at a private fundraiser in Charleston, SC, on Wednesday, Williams wanted one thing in particular from the presidential contender: an explanation why two decades ago, she referred to some at-risk youth as "...
John Kasich: Women
'Left Their Kitchens'
to Support Me
Feb 22, 2016 1:26 PM CST
John Kasich: Women 'Left Their Kitchens' to Support Me
He told Va. rally crowd how he won election decades ago
- Fresh off of defunding Planned Parenthood in Ohio, Gov. John Kasich raised eyebrows again Monday in Fairfax, Va., Mediaite reports. Speaking at a campaign rally at George Mason University, the presidential candidate took on the subject of how he first got elected during his early days in politics, cluing the...
Feb 20, 2016 11:40 AM CST
Town Has Honored Bust Since 1977— It's the Wrong Guy
Stockton-on-Tees commissioned a bust of the wrong John Walker
- Try as they might, the denizens of Stockton-on-Tees, England, just can't seem to pay homage to John Walker, a 19th-century resident of the town and inventor of "one of the most significant objects in modern history," per the the
. Take, for instance, the bust of...
F-Bomb on Camera
Jul 12, 2015 7:55 AM CDT
Prince Philip Busted Dropping F-Bomb on Camera
Tells photog to 'just take the f---ing picture' already
- He might be worshipped on a certain island , but Britain's 94-year-old Prince Philip hasn't allowed age to mellow his fondness for blunt speaking and salty language. The husband of Queen Elizabeth II has been caught apparently using the F-word during a photo shoot. PhIlip can be heard on...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
New Leads on How Live Ammo May Have Gotten on Rust Set
Chief of Staff: Trump Tested Positive, Didn't Reveal It
Before Oxford High School Shooting, Rumors of Attack
Sheriff: Dad of Oxford Suspect Bought Gun on Black Friday
'I Saw People Dying in Front of Me'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.