Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Europe Steps Up Efforts
to Replace Russian Gas
Jul 18, 2022 1:59 PM CDT
Europe Steps Up Efforts to Replace Russian Gas
Deals were signed Monday with Algeria, Azerbaijan, UAE
- European leaders ramped up their push to secure alternative energy supplies Monday as fears escalate of a complete natural gas cutoff by Russia, with the leaders of Italy, France, and the European Union sealing deals with their counterparts in Algeria, Azerbaijan, and the United Arab Emirates. With his government's...
Divided Lawmakers Back
Step Toward Joining EU
Jul 16, 2022 3:50 PM CDT
Divided Lawmakers Back Step Toward Joining EU
US endorses plan for North Macedonia to first meet demands by Bulgaria
- After a three-day debate that included protests inside and outside parliament, North Macedonia lawmakers endorsed a plan on Saturday that could put it on a path toward joining the European Union. The compromise brokered by France first would settle a dispute with Bulgaria, which has blocked membership for North Macedonia,...
For the First Time in 20 Years,
1 Euro Is Worth $1
Jul 13, 2022 12:23 PM CDT
For the First Time in 20 Years, 1 Euro Is Worth $1
Drop signals trouble ahead for eurozone economies
- In good news for anybody planning a European vacation but bad news for American exporters, the euro has sunk to its lowest level in almost 20 years. The exchange rate is now hovering around $1 to 1 euro. The rate, last seen in December 2002, follows a rapid decline for...
EU Quickly Gives
Ukraine Candidate Status
Jun 23, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
EU Quickly Gives Ukraine Candidate Status
Actually becoming part of the European bloc, however, could take years
- The European Union has agreed to make Ukraine a candidate for EU membership, setting in motion a potentially yearslong process that could pull the embattled country further away from Russia's influence and bind it more closely to the West. Ukraine applied for EU membership less than a week after...
Jun 17, 2022 2:40 PM CDT
Putin: Western World Order 'Is Finished'
Major speech rips Americans for declaring themselves 'God's own representatives on Earth'
- Russian President Vladimir Putin announced a change in the world order on Friday in a scathing attack on the US and its leadership of the West. "When they won the Cold War, the US declared themselves God's own representatives on Earth, people who have no responsibilities—only interests,...
Apple Won't Like New
EU Rule on Charging Cords
Jun 8, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Apple Won't Like New EU Rule on Charging Cords
USB-C cable will be required for devices, from phones to headphones to GPS units, from 2024
- Forget rummaging through the junk drawer. Soon, Europeans will need to reach for just one cable to charge their smartphones and other devices, the AP reports. European Union officials said they inked a provisional agreement Tuesday that will require a uniform charging cord in the 27-nation bloc. The new rules,...
EU: Embargo Will Cut
90% of Russia Oil Exports
Jun 3, 2022 5:54 AM CDT
EU: Embargo Will Cut 90% of Russia Oil Exports
Latest round of sanctions will also make Russian oil shipments hard to insure
- The European Union on Friday formally approved an embargo on Russian oil and other sanctions targeting major banks and broadcasters over Moscow’s war on Ukraine. EU headquarters says Russian crude oil will be phased out over six months, and other refined petroleum products over eight months, the AP reports....
EU Adds Partial Oil Embargo
May 30, 2022 8:11 PM CDT
EU Adds Partial Oil Embargo
Zelensky pressed council to increase pressure on Putin
- European Union leaders reached a compromise Monday to impose a partial oil embargo on Russia at a summit focused on helping Ukraine with a long-delayed package of sanctions that was blocked by Hungary. The watered-down embargo covers only Russian oil brought in by sea, allowing a temporary exemption for imports...
Inside the EU's Proposed Ban
on Russian Oil Imports
May 4, 2022 8:38 AM CDT
Inside the EU's Proposed Ban on Russian Oil Imports
'Let us be clear: it will not be easy,' says Ursula von der Leyen
- Some 25% of all oil imports to the EU came from Russia last year. European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen is ready to take that figure down to zero. Von der Leyen on Wednesday proposed a total ban on Russian imports to the EU as part of a sixth...
US, EU Promise
Apr 13, 2022 8:00 PM CDT
US, EU Promise Ukraine Aid Topping $1B
Russian atrocities prompt more Western contributions
- The US and EU promised on Wednesday to send Ukraine more military equipment, a commitment totaling more than $1 billion. President Biden said he told Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky that he approved $800 million in weapons, ammunition, and other security assistance, the
reports. And the EU's European...
Boris Johnson Goes to Kyiv
Apr 9, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Boris Johnson Goes to Kyiv
Austrian chancellor also visited, as allies promise more aid and support
- In what he called "a show of our unwavering support for the people of Ukraine," UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson made an unannounced trip to Kyiv on Saturday to meet with President Volodymyr Zelensky. While there, Johnson announced a new package of financial and military aid to help...
on Russia: $46M
Worth of Art
Apr 7, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Latest Crackdown on Russia: $46M Worth of Art
Customs officials in Finland seize paintings, sculptures, antiquities
- Some $46 million worth of art on loan from Russian galleries to museums in Japan and Italy has been seized on the return trip. Customs officials in Finland seized the paintings, sculptures, and antiquities in three shipments at the Vaalimaa crossing of the Finland-Russia border on Friday and Saturday, in...
US, EU Announce
Massive Energy Deal
Mar 25, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
US, EU Announce Massive Energy Deal
Bloc is trying to cut reliance on Russia
- Some of the hit to Russian exports from its invasion of Ukraine is going to become permanent. The US and the European Union have reached a deal that will reduce Europe's long-term reliance on Russian energy, the BBC reports. The EU currently gets around 40% of its liquefied natural...
No, Johnson Critics Say,
the War Isn't Like Brexit
Mar 20, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
No, Johnson Critics Say, the War Isn't Like Brexit
Both are about freedom, prime minister argues
- "I know that it’s the instinct of the people of this country, like the people of Ukraine, to choose freedom every time," UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said in a speech Saturday. "I can give you a couple of famous recent examples." One of those...
Superyacht Seized as It
Prepared 'to Sail Off Urgently'
in case you missed it
Mar 6, 2022 12:10 PM CST
Superyacht Seized as It Prepared 'to Sail Off Urgently'
France seizes $120M yacht linked to Putin's friend and ally Igor Sechin
- Two days after he was sanctioned by the European Union, Russian oligarch Igor Sechin lost his superyacht. France on Wednesday seized the 280-foot yacht Amore Vero ("True Love"), with a reported price tag of $120 million, reports CNN . The ship, reportedly owned by an entity of which Sechin...
Diplomats Walk Out During
Speech by Russia's Lavrov
Mar 1, 2022 11:40 AM CST
Diplomats Walk Out During Speech by Russia's Lavrov
At another world forum, Ukraine's Volodymyr Zelensky received a standing ovation
- How much of the world views the war in Ukraine was illustrated in the reaction to two speeches on Tuesday. In Brussels, diplomats with the European Union gave Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky a lengthy standing ovation, reports the Hill . In Geneva, diplomats from around 40 nations walked out on a...
Zelensky Urges EU to
Admit Ukraine Immediately
Feb 28, 2022 3:36 PM CST
Zelensky Urges EU to Admit Ukraine Immediately
Formal application was signed Monday
- As Russia's international isolation deepened Monday, Ukraine's president took a big step toward the West with a formal application to join the European Union. "The President of Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelensky has just signed a historical document—Ukraine’s application for European Union membership," Andriy Sybiha, deputy...
Hit Record Highs
Nov 11, 2021 10:15 AM CST
COVID Cases Hit Record Highs in Germany, Netherlands
Meanwhile, Austria plans a lockdown for the unvaccinated
- Winter is approaching in Europe—and with it, a return to tighter COVID restrictions, at least for the unvaccinated. Reuters reports that, with strained ICUs and infections at a record high, Austria is planning a lockdown for the unvaccinated. Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg said Thursday that the country is just days...
US, EU Agree on Trump
Oct 30, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
US, EU Agree on Trump Steel Tariffs
Tensions among nations had been rising along with costs
- US and EU negotiators have reached a broad agreement to dial back tensions over steel and aluminum tariffs imposed under former President Trump. Under the deal, NPR reports, US tariffs will stay in place, but an unspecified amount of steel and aluminum from the European Union will be allowed into...
Thousands Turn Out
to Support Orban
Oct 23, 2021 2:06 PM CDT
Thousands Turn Out to Support Orban
Thousands march in Budapest to back right-wing government
- Tens of thousands of supporters of Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban and his right-wing government marched in Budapest on Saturday in a demonstration of unity behind the populist leader's contentious policies that have led to challenges to his power both in Hungary and the European Union. The rally was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.