Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Reggie Bush Wants His
Heisman Trophy Back
Jul 2, 2021 10:12 AM CDT
Reggie Bush Wants His Heisman Trophy Back
'I never cheated this game,' former USC player says
- "I never cheated this game. That was what they wanted you to believe about me," Reggie Bush tweeted Thursday, calling for the return of the 2005 Heisman Trophy he forfeited for receiving improper benefits at USC. Bush handed back the trophy in 2010 and his college football statistics...
Supreme Court Sides With
College Athletes on Benefits
Jun 21, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Supreme Court Sides With College Athletes on Benefits
Ruling could make it easier for them to be compensated for non-tuition expenses
- In a ruling that could push changes in college athletics, the Supreme Court on Monday unanimously sided with a group of former college athletes over rules limiting certain compensation. The high court ruled that NCAA limits on the education-related benefits that colleges can offer athletes who play Division I basketball...
Coach, 9 Staffers
Jan 18, 2021 4:23 PM CST
Tennessee Fires Coach, 9 Staffers
Pruitt accused of major recruitment violations
- Tennessee has canned coach Jeremy Pruitt and nine others for what the university says were "serious violations" of NCAA recruiting rules. The university says Pruitt, who is in his third year with the Volunteers, will be fired effective Tuesday, along with two assistant coaches and seven other staffers, reports...
NCAA Calls It 'Pay-for-Play.'
Now, SCOTUS Will Decide
Dec 16, 2020 12:23 PM CST
NCAA Calls It 'Pay-for-Play.' Now, SCOTUS Will Decide
High court agrees to review case on athlete compensation
- The Supreme Court on Wednesday agreed to review a court decision that the NCAA says blurs "the line between student-athletes and professionals" by removing caps on education-related money that certain football and basketball players can receive. The high court's action comes after a three-judge panel of the 9th...
Will Be Made
Nov 17, 2020 8:58 AM CST
NFL History Will Be Made on Monday
All-Black referee crew will take to the field for first time
- History will be made Monday in the NFL. For the first time, an all-Black referee crew will officiate an NFL game as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers face the Los Angeles Rams in Tampa. Jerome Boger, a 17-year league veteran, will serve as head referee, assisted by six other Black officials:...
Study: Black Athletes Lose Out
Under NCAA 'Amateur' Rule
Sep 1, 2020 7:57 PM CDT
Study: Black Athletes Lose Out Under NCAA 'Amateur' Rule
If they were paid, players would get an average of up to $500K each
- The "amateur" system at Power 5 colleges has become an effective system to transfer wealth from poorer—and often Black—athletes to mostly white students and administrators, according to a new study from the National Bureau of Economic Research. The NBER estimates that if the student athletes were allowed...
Big Ten, Pac-12 Make
'Extremely Painful' Decision
Aug 11, 2020 5:29 PM CDT
Big Ten, Pac-12 Make 'Extremely Painful' Decision
Conferences are pulling the plug on fall fooball
- The Big Ten and Pac-12 called off their fall football seasons on Tuesday because of concerns about COVID-19, taking two of college football's five power conferences out of a crumbling season. Five months after the first spikes in coronavirus cases in the US led to the cancellation of the...
'Play College Football,'
Aug 10, 2020 4:58 PM CDT
'Play College Football,' Trump Demands
He weighs in after reports Big Ten Conference has called off fall season
- President Trump was quick to weigh in following reports Monday that the Big Ten Conference has voted to cancel the fall season . "Play College Football!" the president tweeted . He also retweeted a post from Clemson University quarterback Trevor Lawrence, who said "we all want to play football"...
Report: Big Ten Football
Has Been Called Off
Aug 10, 2020 1:04 PM CDT
Report: Big Ten Football Has Been Called Off
School presidents voted 12-2 against playing
- The 14 teams of the Big Ten conference have voted overwhelmingly in favor of scrapping this fall's college football season, sources tell the
Detroit Free Press
. On Sunday, university presidents voted 12-2 in favor of ending fall sports in the conference, with only Nebraska and Iowa voting to play,...
Calls It Quits
Aug 8, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
First Top-Tier NCAA League Calls It Quits
'I'm heartbroken we are in this place'
- The Mid-American Conference on Saturday became the first league competing at college football's highest level to cancel its fall season because of COVID-19 concerns, the AP reports. "I'm heartbroken we are in this place," MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher said. With the MAC's 12 schools facing...
Praising Hitler Ends Badly
for Football Coach
Jan 28, 2020 1:09 PM CST
Praising Hitler Ends Badly for Football Coach
Grand Valley State suspends Morris Berger after he lauds Der Fuhrer's leadership skills
- "The way he was able to lead was second-to-none," a college football coach in Michigan said of Hitler. Now, his new job is in jeopardy. Days after he was announced as the offensive coordinator for the Grand Valley State Lakers Division II football team, Morris Berger was interviewed...
Championship Win Caps
Magical Season for LSU
Jan 14, 2020 12:01 AM CST
Championship Win Caps Magical Season for LSU
Joe Burrow broke a few more records
- From small-town Ohio kid to Louisiana Legend, Joe Burrow capped his record-breaking, Heisman-winning season by bringing a national championship to LSU. Burrow threw five touchdown passes, ran for another score and finished off one of the most accomplished seasons in college football history by leading the top-ranked LSU Tigers to...
Letter to Fans
Dec 7, 2019 7:00 AM CST
Player Who Missed Huge Kick Writes Letter to Fans
Alabama's Joseph Bulovas says no one was more disappointed than he was
- The Alabama Crimson Tide was down by three points late in the second half of Saturday's Iron Bowl, which pitted the team against rival Auburn, when Alabama's Joseph Bulovas missed a 30-yard field goal that would have tied the score. Instead, it remained 48-45 in favor of the...
He Got a Big Touchdown.
Then, a Headshaking Penalty
Nov 29, 2019 12:12 PM CST
He Got a Big Touchdown. Then, a Headshaking Penalty
Ole Miss player draws unsportsmanlike conduct for 'peeing' like dog, costs team the game
- Elijah Moore will probably never get down again on his hands and knees and pretend to urinate like a dog. That's a good guess, anyway, after the Ole Miss sophomore's antics during Thursday's annual matchup over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend between the University of Mississippi Rebels and...
Baby Trump Balloon
Has Met Its End
Nov 10, 2019 5:42 AM CST
Baby Trump Balloon Has Met Its End
Protest symbol stabbed as president gets warm welcome at Alabama-LSU game
- President Trump appears to have found his sports sweet spot after getting booed at the World Series and a mixed reception at an MMA fight : The commander in chief got a warm welcome in the Deep South at a college football game between Alabama and Louisiana State, reports CNN . Per...
California's Seismic Decision
Could Reshape College Sports
Sep 30, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
California's Seismic Decision Could Reshape College Sports
State will let college athletes hire agents, make money from endorsements
- California will let college athletes hire agents and make money from endorsements, defying the NCAA and setting up a likely legal challenge that could reshape amateur sports in the US. Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Monday he signed the law that would let athletes at California universities make money from...
Rutgers Linebacker Charged
in Double-Murder Plot
Oct 31, 2018 10:10 AM CDT
Rutgers Linebacker Charged in Double-Murder Plot
Izaia Bullock allegedly schemed to kill 2 relatives of acquaintance
- Izaia Bullock's dismissal Tuesday from the Rutgers University football team is surely the least of the linebacker's concerns. It came hours after the 22-year-old junior from Linden, NJ, was charged with two counts of first-degree attempted murder and two counts of first-degree conspiracy to commit murder, making him...
The Game Went Into Overtime.
Then, an 'Unbelievable' End
Jan 9, 2018 12:10 AM CST
The Game Went Into Overtime. Then, an 'Unbelievable' End
Alabama Crimson Tide beats Georgia Bulldogs 26-23
- Tua Tagovailoa threw a 41-yard touchdown to DeVonta Smith to give No. 4 Alabama a 26-23 overtime victory against No. 3 Georgia to win the College Football Playoff national championship in Atlanta Monday night. Tagovailoa entered the game at halftime, replacing a struggling Jalen Hurts, and threw three touchdown passes,...
Becca Longo Makes
College Football History
Apr 13, 2017 2:26 PM CDT
Becca Longo Makes College Football History
She's 1st woman to get scholarship to play at Division II level or higher
- An 18-year-old from Arizona made history Wednesday—without even realizing it, ESPN reports. Becca Longo signed a letter of intent to play football for Colorado's Adams State next season, making her the first woman to get a scholarship to play college football at the Division II level or higher....
With 1 Second
Jan 10, 2017 2:03 AM CST
'Let's Be Legendary:' Clemson Wins With 1 Second
Takes title in 'one of the greatest games of all time'
- Deshaun Watson took the snap, rolled right, and with one of the easiest throws he had to make all night, completed Clemson's journey to the top of college football. A frantic fourth quarter and a championship rematch between Clemson and Alabama was decided with one second left on a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Suspected 'Mass Fentanyl Poisoning Event' Kills 9 in Florida
How Parade Shooting Suspect Managed to Buy 5 Guns
Scathing Obit: 'It Will Be Challenging to Miss Lawrence'
Boys 'Shouldn't Have Been Able to Physically Do What They Did'
Amazon Prime Rolls Out a Big 'Thank You' to Customers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.