Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest stories and cases of gender discrimination in the news on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trans Teen, Family
'Run Out of Town on a Rail'
Oct 22, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Trans Teen, Family 'Run Out of Town on a Rail'
'New Yorker' piece dives into how laws in Tennessee, and in South in general, have affected LGBTQ youth
- Tennessee has passed nearly 20 anti-LGBTQ+ laws since 2015, among the highest in the nation, per the Human Rights Campaign. For Kristen Chapman, that number is more than just a statistic—it proved to be the death knell for her family's future in the Volunteer State, as her 17-year-daughter,...
Accuses CBS of 'Harsh' Firing
Oct 11, 2023 8:11 AM CDT
Producer Accuses CBS of 'Harsh' Firing
Alexandra Poolos, let go last year, accuses network of gender discrimination, giving male staff a pass
- A former
producer is pushing back at CBS, accusing the network of gender discrimination in her firing. The Wrap and
report that Alexandra Poolos filed a lawsuit Tuesday in New York federal court over her 2022 termination, which took place after an associate producer had accused her...
Has Bad News for
'Central Park Karen'
Jun 9, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
Appeals Court Has Bad News for 'Central Park Karen'
That court dismisses suit against firm that fired Amy Cooper after she called cops on Black birder
- In September, US District Judge Ronnie Abrams dismissed a suit from Amy Cooper—a white woman fired from her job after calling 911 on a Black bird-watcher in NYC's Central Park—against her former employer. On Thursday, an appeals court upheld that decision, ruling that Cooper's complaint, in...
Madrid Events Fight
May 8, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Madrid Events Fight Sexism Complaints
Female athletes receive smaller cake, a congratulatory food processor
- Organizers of sporting events in Spain are playing defense after facing allegations of sexism. Most of the attention focused on complaints about men and women being treated unequally at the Madrid Open, but a women's race held Sunday—Mother's Day in Spain—also had to backtrack. The issues...
'Worst Valentine's Day
Feb 13, 2023 8:28 AM CST
'Worst Valentine's Day Surprise Ever'
Trade analysis finds that women's underwear is taxed higher than men's
- Typically, an economic analysis that highlights a "trade fact of the week" might not sound like the sexiest of subjects. But in this case, the factoid highlighted by Ed Gresser of the Progressive Policy Institute amounts to what he labels the "worst Valentine's Day surprise ever."...
Women's Lawsuit Accuses
Twitter of Bias in Layoffs
Dec 8, 2022 5:15 PM CST
Women's Lawsuit Accuses Twitter of Bias in Layoffs
57% of female employees and 47% of male workers lost jobs, filing says
- Two women who lost their jobs at Twitter when Elon Musk took over are suing the company in federal court, claiming that last month's abrupt mass layoffs disproportionately affected female employees. The discrimination lawsuit is the latest legal challenge over Musk's decimation of Twitter's workforce through mass...
Mom Sues Pharmacist
Kept Him From
Doling Out Meds
Aug 5, 2022 10:16 AM CDT
Mom Sues Pharmacist Whose 'Beliefs' Kept Him From Doling Out Meds
Andrea Anderson had to try 3 Minnesota pharmacies before she could get morning-after pill in 2019
- In January 2019, during sex with her partner of more than 10 years, Andrea Anderson discovered the condom they were using had broken, and she immediately got a prescription for Ella, an emergency contraceptive that delays or stops ovulation—i.e., the morning-after pill, which doesn't end a pregnancy...
Banker Who Found Witch Hat
on Her Desk Awarded $2.8M
Feb 2, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Banker Who Found Witch Hat on Her Desk Awarded $2.8M
It's one of the biggest awards ever handed down by a UK employment tribunal
- A female British banker who suffered an "inherently sexist act" involving a witch's hat has been awarded $2.8 million for that and other sexual discrimination. Stacey Macken, a former Deutsche Bank VP, joined the London office of French bank BNP Paribas in 2013 at a salary of...
He Says He Was
Fired for Being
a White Guy.
Oct 29, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
He Says He Was Fired for Being a White Guy. Now, $10M
Ex-hospital exec David Duvall wins wrongful termination suit against NC health care system
- For nearly five years, David Duvall served as a top marketing executive for a North Carolina health care system—until he says he was abruptly fired in the summer of 2018, over what he claims was a move to diversify top staff. Duvall sued, and on Tuesday, a federal jury...
With Ex-Actor Over
a Dressing Room
Oct 14, 2021 6:50 AM CDT
New Duel: With Ex-Actor Over a Dressing Room
Transgender actor: show wouldn't renew contract over request for gender-neutral dressing room
- A former
cast member has filed a discrimination complaint against the show, and their lawyer says it's one that should serve as "a wake-up call for the theater industry." Suni Reid, a Black transgender nonbinary actor who'd appeared with the New York, Chicago, and Los...
Blue Origin Staff
Oct 1, 2021 6:44 AM CDT
Current, Former Blue Origin Staff Pen Scathing Essay
Former comms chief says Jeff Bezos' company ignores safety concerns
- "Blue Origin's culture sits on a foundation that ignores the plight of our planet, turns a blind eye to sexism, is not sufficiently attuned to safety concerns, and silences those who seek to correct wrongs." So claim 21 current and former employees of Jeff Bezos' spaceflight company...
Video Game Developer Faces
Mutiny Over Lawsuit Response
Jul 27, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Video Game Developer Faces Mutiny Over Lawsuit Response
2K sign letter demanding Activision Blizzard seriously evaluate harassment claims
- More than 2,000 current and former Activision Blizzard employees have signed a letter to management saying its response to a lawsuit alleging widespread sexual harassment and discrimination is "abhorrent and insulting." A week-old complaint filed by the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing following a two-year...
League Said She Was Too
Young to Go Pro. Judge: Nope
in case you missed it
May 29, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
League Said She Was Too Young to Go Pro. Judge: Nope
National Women's Soccer League can now sign Olivia Moultrie, 15
- A federal judge has overruled the National Women's Soccer League, at least temporarily, finding its rule barring players under 18 is a form of gender discrimination. Olivia Moultrie—a 15-year-old who debuted with the Portland Thorns' under-19 team at age 14 and signed a nine-year endorsement deal with Nike...
Suit: I Was Pressured to Move
Seats Because I'm a Woman
Aug 28, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
Suit: I Was Pressured to Move Seats Because I'm a Woman
Passenger sues EasyJet over encounters with Orthodox Jews
- A British-Israeli woman is suing EasyJet for discrimination after she says she was twice asked to move seats because of her gender. Melanie Wolfson, 38, says she paid extra for an aisle seat on an October flight from Tel Aviv to London only to be asked to move seats by...
Woman Says She Was
Fired After Kids Made
Noise During Calls
Jul 9, 2020 3:00 AM CDT
Woman Says She Was Fired After Kids Made Noise During Calls
Drisana Rios is suing for gender discrimination
- A California woman says she was fired for doing what millions of other Americans have been doing during the pandemic—looking after her children while working from home. Drisana Rios is suing insurance firm Hub International for gender discrimination, retaliation, and wrongful termination. The 35-year-old account executive, who has a...
Women Soccer Players' Rep
Blasts 'Caveman' Remarks
Mar 12, 2020 11:20 AM CDT
Women Soccer Players' Rep Blasts 'Caveman' Remarks
USSF chief apologizes after saying women have lesser responsibilities, physical abilities than guys
- The US Soccer Federation apologized Wednesday after contending in court documents that women on its national team had lesser responsibilities and physical abilities than male counterparts, an assertion that drew widespread criticism and sparked a player protest, per the AP . "On behalf of US Soccer, I sincerely apologize for...
Ready to Talk About
Feminism: an All-Male Panel
Nov 22, 2019 5:05 PM CST
Ready to Talk About Feminism: an All-Male Panel
2 women have since been added to event in Pakistan after major pushback
- When the Arts Council of Pakistan Karachi named an upcoming event "Feminism: The Other Perspective," it soon became clear that "other perspective" was uncomfortably accurate: The panel set to meet Friday was male only. The blowback in a country already known for being overly patriarchal was instant...
Woman Who Bared
Breasts in Front
Nov 21, 2019 10:10 AM CST
Woman Who Bared Breasts in Front of Stepkids Fights Charges
Tilli Buchanan is trying to get Utah's lewdness laws changed, claiming gender discrimination
- A 28-year-old Utah woman is fighting lewdness charges against her and trying to get her state's law changed after she was accused of exposing her breasts to her three stepkids. Defense attorney Randy Richards tells the
Salt Lake Tribune
that his client, Tilli Buchanan, could end up behind bars...
His Profane Tweets About
the Apple Card Went Viral
Nov 11, 2019 12:10 PM CST
His Profane Tweets About the Apple Card Went Viral
And are leading to a probe of Goldman Sachs' credit card practices
- David Heinemeier Hansson says his wife has the superior credit score. They file their taxes jointly. And while the tech entrepreneur didn't provide any other personal financial information, he did disclose an alleged financial injustice on Thursday. In a series of tweets that have continued through Monday, the Ruby...
Facing Prison for
She Chose Fire, Death
Sep 10, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
Facing Prison for Entering Stadium, She Chose Fire, Death
Esteghlal Tehran mourns death of Iran's 'Blue Girl'
- An Iranian woman awaiting trial on charges that she defied the country's ban on women at soccer stadiums has died a week after setting herself on fire. The woman identified as Sahar Khodayari, age 29 or 30, was detained for three days in March when she allegedly posed as...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.