Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 1,643,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Ireland Has a Problematic Mystery on Its Hands
It still doesn't know who owns the MV Alta
- Who's the captain of the ghost ship that washed up near Ballycotton, Ireland, in February after more than a year of sailing empty in the Atlantic? It's still a giant question mark, and that's problematic for Ireland. As a rep for the country's revenue commissioners tells...
It Was Bound for Haiti, Turned Into a Ghost Ship
'Wired' takes a look at the MV Alta
- The MV Alta washed up on an Irish shore in February after some 18 months adrift at sea. In a piece for
, Matt Burgess explains that the category of people to have seen the ghost ship over that time is a remarkably narrow one: "It was only spotted...
For More Than a Year, This 'Ghost Ship' Traveled the World
The MV Alta's journey has finally ended, in Ireland
- A "ghost ship" has finally struck land after more than a year traveling the world, from the Americas to Africa and Europe, without a crew. The MV Alta cargo vessel disabled some 1,380 miles southeast of Bermuda while traveling from Greece to Haiti in September 2018. The crew...
'Ghost Ship' Comes Ashore Carrying Human Heads
Japanese officials suspect they know where it came from
- A shipwreck on the coast of Japan carried grisly cargo: five human bodies and two human heads, Sky News reports. Police apparently found the boat Saturday on Sado Island, about 31 miles northwest of the mainland, and are investigating the cause of death. "Five of the bodies were identified...
Skeletons Found in 'Ghost Boats' Washed Up in Japan
Vessels are believed to be from N. Korea
- Scores of dilapidated wooden boats believed to be from North Korea have washed ashore in northern Japan in a seasonal influx. The coast guard said Monday that 95 rickety boats, some carrying skeletonized bodies, have arrived so far this year, a pace that is likely to exceed last year's...
'Ghost Ship' Found Drifting Near Myanmar Identified
Freighter was abandoned as it was being towed to a ship-breaking factory
- An empty "ghost ship" was found drifting near Myanmar's Yangon region last week, and authorities have now solved the mystery. The rusty freighter was being towed to a ship-breaking factory in Bangladesh, but the tugboat crew got caught in bad weather and abandoned it after several cables securing...
More Bodies Wash Up in Japan
Boat containing remains of 7 men found, with possible 8th body
- There were clues as to the men's origins: a cigarette package bearing Korean words, a badge bearing the likenesses of Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il. The signs point to North Korea, and to some tragedy at sea. Japanese police say the wooden boat found capsized and washed...
Aboard 'Ghost Ship' Found in Japan: Bodies Reduced to Bone
It's believed to have come from North Korea
- Just days ago, a boat washed ashore in northern Japan . Aboard were eight men who said they were from North Korea. Now, another boat has been found just 45 miles north of the first, and it also held eight—except all are dead. The 23-foot wooden "ghost ship" was...
Ghost Ship Found in Liberia Was Gutted by Fire
Liberian government didn't realize the tanker was there for 2 days
- On April 22, a 210-foot oil tanker signaled its position off the west coast of Africa, not far from its destination of Senegal. What transpired over the next two weeks is shrouded in mystery. The "ghost ship" washed ashore in Robertsport, Liberia, far from the intended port of Dakar,...
Mysterious, Abandoned Oil Tanker Washes Up on Beach
No one knows where its crew is
- A 210-foot-long oil tanker washed up on the shores of Africa this week; its crew was nowhere to be found. The
reports the abandoned ship, the Tamaya 1, is now the subject of an investigation to find out what happened. The tanker, registered in Panama, was supposed to be...
UK Fears Approach of Rat-Infested 'Ghost Ship'
Though Lyubov Orlova hasn't been heard from since March
- The Russian "ghost ship" that was last heard from in March has all but vanished—but a flurry of reports now have it on a potential collision-course with Britain's coast, and packed with rats. Experts are warning that the Lyubov Orlova could be headed that way in the...
Russian 'Ghost Ship' Vanishes
Lyubov Orlova hasn't been heard from since March 12
- Months after a Russian "ghost ship" turned up adrift off the Irish coast , she's gone missing again. The Lyubov Orlova's tow line broke back in January, as the cruise ship was being hauled from Canada to the Dominican Republic as scrap. The ship, empty except for an...
Russian 'Ghost Ship' Turns Up Off Irish Coast
It's an environmental danger: French group
- An empty Russian cruise ship lost at sea for weeks has turned up some 1,300 nautical miles off Ireland's west coast, reports AFP via PhysOrg. The Lyubov Orlova was being towed from Canada to the Dominican Republic when a tug line broke in late January, setting it adrift....
US Sinks Tsunami Ghost Ship
Ship may hold more than 2K gallons of diesel
- A Japanese derelict that's been aimlessly roaming the ocean since last year's tsunami has been sent to Davy Jones' Locker at last. A US Coast Guard cutter opened fire on the Ryou-Un Maru off the coast of Alaska yesterday with high explosive ammunition, setting it on fire and...
'Ghost Ship' a Case of Intrigue on High Seas
Charter found near Cuba, crew missing; 2 survivors being held
- The sea is telling no secrets about an abandoned charter boat found 30 miles north of Cuba this week, missing the young couple who owned it and two crewmembers. But
reports that the two men who chartered the boat, found floating miles away in its life raft, are failing...
Popular on Newser
Ex-NFL QB Ryan Leaf Arrested in Calif.
Amid Pandemic, Rats Getting Increasingly Desperate
Trump Has a New Pitch: the 'Big Bang'
NYT Publishes a Devastating Sunday Cover
Trump: My Drug Regimen Has Changed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.