Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Erupting Alaska Volcano
Produces Huge Ash Cloud
Jul 18, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Erupting Alaska Volcano Produces Huge Ash Cloud
Pilots warned about Shishaldin Volcano
- An ongoing eruption of a remote volcano in Alaska's Aleutian Islands produced an ash cloud so large Tuesday warnings were sent to pilots about potentially dangerous conditions. The ash cloud with an initial height of around 5.5 miles was drifting south-southeast from Shishaldin Volcano, the Alaska Volcano Observatory...
That Lava May
Look Cool, but Iceland
Says Stay Away
Jul 11, 2023 1:16 PM CDT
That Lava May Look Cool, but Iceland Says Stay Away
Authorities warn tourists away from erupting Fagradalsfjall volcano, which is spewing toxic gases
- Authorities in Iceland on Tuesday warned tourists and other spectators to stay away from a newly erupting volcano that's spewing lava and noxious gases from a fissure in the country's southwest. The eruption began Monday afternoon after thousands of earthquakes in the area, meteorological authorities said. This one...
Jun 7, 2023 2:08 PM CDT
Hawaii's 2nd-Largest Volcano Erupts
Kilauea is erupting again after 3-month pause
- Kilauea, the second largest volcano in Hawaii, began erupting on Wednesday after a three-month pause, US Geological Survey officials said. The survey’s Hawaiian Volcano Observatory said in a statement that a glow was detected in webcam images from Kilauea’s summit early in the morning, indicating that an eruption...
Millions Told to Prep for
Evacuation in Mexico
May 23, 2023 8:02 AM CDT
Millions Told to Prep for Evacuation in Mexico
Volcanic threat level raised as ash from Popocatépetl closes airports, schools
- Some 3 million people in Central Mexico have been told to prepare for a possible evacuation amid rumblings from the country's most dangerous active volcano. Hundreds of tremors have been registered around Popocatépetl volcano within the last week, while smoke and ash fills the air. Some 25 million...
After Volcano Burst,
'Most Extreme Concentration
of Lightning' Ever
Jan 10, 2023 10:15 AM CST
After Volcano Burst, 'Most Extreme Concentration of Lightning' Ever
Eruption of Tonga's Hunga volcano spurred 400K lightning events in 6 hours
- Showers of ash, giant waves, and massive explosions weren't the the only things locals had to worry about when Tonga's Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai volcano erupted last January in the South Pacific. Lightning also made an appearance, and a whole lot of it—so much, in fact, that...
A Sleeping Giant Awakes,
With Plenty of Spectators
Dec 1, 2022 6:48 AM CST
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Lava is flowing from Hawaii's Mauna Loa volcano, now erupting after a 38-year sleep
- The world's largest volcano oozed rivers of glowing lava Wednesday, drawing thousands of awestruck viewers who jammed a Hawaii highway that could soon be covered by the flow. Mauna Loa awoke from its 38-year slumber Sunday, causing volcanic ash and debris to drift down from the sky. A main...
World's Largest Active Volcano
Erupts for First Time Since '84
Nov 28, 2022 8:23 AM CST
World's Largest Active Volcano Erupts for First Time Since '84
Hawaii's Mauna Loa breaks its silence
- Hawaii's Mauna Loa volcano has erupted for the first time in nearly four decades, reports NBC News . The eruption at the world's largest active volcano—the first one since 1984—began about about 11:30pm Sunday, according to the US Geological Survey. So far, the eruption is contained...
Living Near Volcano
Should Prepare 'Go Bag'
Oct 28, 2022 11:38 AM CDT
Hawaii: People Living Near Volcano Should Prepare 'Go Bag'
There are ominous signs at Mauna Loa
- Hawaii officials are warning residents of the Big Island that the world’s largest active volcano, Mauna Loa, is sending signals that it may erupt. Scientists say an eruption isn’t imminent, but they are on alert because of a recent spike in earthquakes at the volcano’s summit. Experts...
Watch These Slackliners Set
a Heart-Stopping Record
Sep 28, 2022 1:27 PM CDT
Watch These Slackliners Set a Heart-Stopping Record
Daredevils Rafael Bridi, Alexander Schulz made longest walk over active volcano in early pandemic
- If walking over an active volcano via slackline is on your bucket list, you might look to Brazilian daredevil Rafael Bridi for guidance. Per UPI, Bridi and fellow slacklining enthusiast Alexander Schulz of Germany set a Guinness World Record for "longest slackline walk over an active volcano," which...
The World Has
a New Island
Sep 25, 2022 6:06 AM CDT
The World Has a New Island
Latest addition to Tonga islands after volcanic eruption might be short-lived
- The world's land area is a tiny bit bigger than it was a month ago thanks to an eruption in the southwest Pacific Ocean. NASA's Earth Observatory says an island rose above the surface of the water around 12 hours after an eruption began Sept. 10 on a...
12 Climbers Went Up
the Volcano. Then 5 Fell
Sep 6, 2022 12:37 PM CDT
12 Climbers Went Up the Volcano. Then 5 Fell
Only a few survivors were evacuated from Russia's Klyuchevskaya Sopka, Eurasia's tallest volcano
- A dozen climbers went up a Siberian volcano last week, but only a few have come back down. According to the Russian state agency Ria Novosti, the group of 12 began ascending Klyuchevskaya Sopka, Eurasia's tallest volcano, located on the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia's far northeast, on Aug....
Scientists Say Tonga Eruption
Deserves 'Ultra' Designation
Jan 25, 2022 2:41 PM CST
Scientists Say Tonga Eruption Deserves 'Ultra' Designation
It was many times more powerful than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima
- Scientists are continuing to paint a picture of just how strong the undersea volcanic eruption that happened Jan. 15 near the island nation of Tonga was. In short, many, many,
multiples of the nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima. NBC News has a statement from NASA that puts the preliminary...
After Tonga's Massive
Eruption, 'Very Good News'
Jan 18, 2022 8:07 AM CST
After Tonga's Massive Eruption, 'Very Good News'
'Catastrophic' disaster was apparently averted, though at least 2 have died and ash is everywhere
- The blast from the volcano could be heard in Alaska, and the waves crossed the ocean to cause an oil spill and two drownings in Peru. The startling satellite images resembled a massive nuclear explosion. And yet, despite sitting almost on top of the volcano that erupted so violently on...
First, a 'Violent'
Eruption. Then, 'Darkness
Blanketing the Sky'
Jan 15, 2022 6:00 AM CST
First, a 'Violent' Eruption. Then, 'Darkness Blanketing the Sky'
Undersea volcano erupts near Tonga, waves crash to shore amid tsunami warning
- An undersea volcano erupted in spectacular fashion near the Pacific nation of Tonga on Saturday, sending large waves crashing across the shore and people rushing to higher ground. There were no immediate reports of injuries or the extent of the damage as communications with the small nation, home to about...
Man Dies After Fall
Into Hawaii Volcano
Jan 4, 2022 7:03 PM CST
Man Dies After Fall Into Hawaii Volcano
75-year-old was in closed-off area, NPS says
- The National Park Service says it is investigating the death of a Hawaii man who apparently fell into an active volcano at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Sunday night. The NPS said in a statement that relatives reported the man missing from inside the park around 12:15am Monday, Hawaii News...
After Eruption, Search
Continues for Survivors
Dec 6, 2021 7:00 AM CST
After Eruption, Search Continues for Survivors
Death toll from Mt. Semeru in Indonesia rises to 15, but more are missing
- It's one of the most active volcanoes in a nation known for them, and the eruption that began Saturday on Mt. Semeru in Indonesia isn't over yet. Details:
The death toll in East Java province rose to 15 on Monday, but at least 27 are missing, reports CNN
Java Volcano Has Now Killed
At Least 13
Dec 5, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Java Volcano Has Now Killed At Least 13
Indonesian officials say others still missing
- The death toll following the eruption of the highest volcano on Indonesia’s most densely populated island of Java has risen to 13, with seven people still missing, officials said Sunday as smoldering debris and thick mud hampered search efforts. Mount Semeru in Lumajang district in East Java province spewed...
Eruption in Indonesia
Dec 4, 2021 3:05 PM CST
Eruption in Indonesia Burns Villagers
One man is killed, dozens of people are hospitalized
- The highest volcano on Indonesia's most densely populated island of Java spewed thick columns of ash, searing gas and lava down its slopes in a sudden eruption triggered by heavy rains on Saturday. At least one villager died of burns, and dozens were hospitalized, the AP reports. Mount Semeru'...
Alaska Issues Alert on
Cloud of 109-Year-Old Ash
Nov 18, 2021 7:03 AM CST
Alaska Issues Alert on Cloud of 109-Year-Old Ash
Wind has whipped up deposits from Novarupta
- Volcano scientists issued an alert Wednesday, warning that a cloud of ash—from an eruption more than century ago—was headed toward Alaska’s Kodiak Island. The ash is from the powerful 1912 eruption of Novarupta, a volcano on the Alaska Peninsula that dropped volcanic ash that is still visible...
of La Palma Dogs
Is a Head-Scratcher
Oct 23, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Mystery Rescue of La Palma Dogs Is a Head-Scratcher
'The dogs are fine,' said sign left behind by 'A Team,' ahead of drone meant to save them
- A drone operation was set to rescue several dogs from the Spanish island of La Palma, where they've been stranded in a yard surrounded by lava after a volcano eruption that's been going on for more than a month. There'd even been a test run that went...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.