Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Patient Heads Home
—After 453 Days
Nov 10, 2022 11:07 AM CST
'Miracle' COVID Patient Heads Home —After 453 Days
Weaymon 'Dub' Crochet, after 15 months in Texas hospitals, says: 'God [gave] me all his angels'
- The average length of a patient's stay in a hospital while being treated for COVID is about a week or so, per CDC stats from April. A Texas man has surpassed that length of time and then some, and his survival is now being hailed as a "miracle....
They Took a 4-Degree Walk,
Found an Abandoned Baby
Jan 12, 2022 2:09 PM CST
They Took a 4-Degree Walk, Found an Abandoned Baby
A group of teen boys made the discovery
- An abandoned baby likely owes its survival to a group of teens in Siberia who decided to take a walk together on Orthodox Christmas Day. The
reports the group of boys came upon a box along a remote road Friday in temps that got as low as 4 degrees....
Searchers Thought They'd Find
a Body. Instead, a 'Miracle'
Jan 16, 2020 9:40 AM CST
Searchers Thought They'd Find a Body. Instead, a 'Miracle'
Paula James, who has dementia, found alive and talking in snow-covered car after 6-day search
- The sheriff of Butte County, Calif., was sure rescuers would find a body upon locating the snow-covered vehicle of a woman who'd been missing in the mountains for six days. "When I heard that she was alive, I was just absolutely amazed," Kory Honea says, per CNN...
Oregon Man's $23K Mistake
Has Improbable Happy Ending
in case you missed it
Aug 10, 2019 11:32 AM CDT
Oregon Man's $23K Mistake Has Improbable Happy Ending
All but $320 survived the cash's trip to a recycling plant
- A man who accidentally recycled his life savings managed to get back all but $320 of it, and the story of how it got away from him and back to him is a wild one. The unnamed Oregon man accidentally recycled a Vans shoebox on Thursday that held just north...
Wakes, Learns It's
the 21st Century
Apr 23, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
Comatose Woman Wakes, Learns It's the 21st Century
Munira Abdulla had been unresponsive since 1991
- Until June 2018, Munira Abdulla had last been conscious when mobile phones were just starting to be widely sold . Had they then been readily available, someone might have been able to call for help. Instead, Abdulla waited for hours for help to arrive after the car she was in collided...
His Family Made Funeral Plans.
Then, 'Craziest Moment Ever'
Jan 7, 2019 7:12 AM CST
His Family Made Funeral Plans. Then, 'Craziest Moment Ever'
T. Scott Marr wakes up after being taken off life support, dubbed 'Miracle Man'
- On Dec. 12, T. Scott Marr was found unconscious and barely alive by his son. On Dec. 13, the 61-year-old Nebraska man's family was told recovery was unlikely after an apparent stroke, so they gave permission for his breathing tubes to be removed and started making calls to plan...
Prognosis Was Dire.
Then, the Tumor
Dec 19, 2018 9:07 AM CST
Their Daughter's Prognosis Was Dire. Then, the Tumor Just Vanished
An 'extraordinarily rare' turn of events for 11-year-old Roxli Doss
- A Texas girl's parents were told she had an inoperable brain tumor, and the odds looked bad—a survival rate beyond five years of less than 1%. Consider Roxli Doss an odds-beater. In what the 11-year-old's doctor tells CBS News and HuffPost is an "unbelievable" and "...
'There Was Someone Watching
Over That Child Today'
Dec 18, 2018 4:16 PM CST
'There Was Someone Watching Over That Child Today'
Police officers save baby dad allegedly tried to drown
- Two Missouri officers saved the life of a 6-month-old girl whose father walked into their police station and said he had just drowned his daughter, authorities say. Greenwood police Chief Greg Hallgrimson and Cpl. Tom Calhoun rushed to a pond where the man said he had drowned his daughter Monday...
His Mom Was Dead.
A 3-Year-Old Saved
His Infant Brother
Aug 22, 2018 1:18 PM CDT
His Mom Was Dead. A 3-Year-Old Saved His Infant Brother
'One of the most remarkable things I've ever experienced in my 11 years at this department'
- "They went through a pure hell, no doubt," says an Arkansas sheriff's detective about the ordeal two small children somehow managed to survive—all thanks to the eldest of them, a 3-year-old named Kylen. The boy was found wandering alone on a state highway near Camden, Arkansas,...
After 6-Hour Search, Deputy
Finds Baby in Woods
Jul 9, 2018 11:05 AM CDT
After 6-Hour Search, Deputy Finds Baby in Woods
'This is what we call a miracle,' says sheriff's office in Missoula, Mont.
- "This is what we call miracle," reads a Facebook post from the Missoula County Sheriff's Office in Montana. The reference is to a deputy who heard a faint cry in the woods and discovered a baby buried under sticks and debris, a happy end to a frantic...
Dying Toddler Gets a
Nov 23, 2017 2:30 PM CST
Dying Toddler Gets a 'Thanksgiving Miracle'
AJ Burgess underwent lifesaving kidney transplant Wednesday
- "This is an unexpected Thanksgiving miracle." That's the message from a lawyer representing a 2-year-old Georgia boy, who was temporarily blocked from receiving a lifesaving kidney, after the toddler underwent a successful transplant Wednesday, reports CNN . AJ Burgess was born without functioning kidneys. However, his father, Anthony...
Alabama Woman Emerges
After Month Lost in Woods
Aug 16, 2017 6:07 AM CDT
Alabama Woman Emerges After Month Lost in Woods
'I don't think she could have made it much longer,' says rescuer
- "I've never seen anything like it. Her will to live is incredible," a sheriff's deputy says of a 25-year-old Alabama woman who spent 28 days lost in thousands of acres of forest before turning up on the side of a road in Bullock County on Saturday....
A Noise Came From a Bag.
Tiny Legs Were Sticking Out
Aug 9, 2017 2:35 PM CDT
A Noise Came From a Bag. Tiny Legs Were Sticking Out
Harriette Hoyt, 17, accused of trying to kill daughter
- Police in upstate New York are describing a horrifying crime that might've proved deadly if not for what the
Elmira Star Gazette
describes as a "miracle." According to the Elmira Police Department, a 17-year-old girl placed her 8-month-old daughter in a plastic bag and abandoned her behind...
She Was Given Weeks
to Live—9 Years Ago
Mar 17, 2017 1:44 PM CDT
She Was Given Weeks to Live—9 Years Ago
WXIA describes Ashley Hallford's 'miraculous' recovery
- Ashley Hallford was 32 weeks pregnant when the diagnosis came. A hard lump on her neck wasn't caused by an infection in the salivary gland as doctors had suspected. Rather, it was "a rare and very aggressive" form of cancer, Hallford tells WXIA . A week later, the Georgia...
He Fell 47 Stories
and Lived—and He
Still Isn't Sure How
Mar 12, 2017 8:33 AM CDT
He Fell 47 Stories and Lived—and He Still Isn't Sure How
Alcides Moreno says he survived to raise his new son
- Some say the window washing platform surfed the air. Others, including a rep for the New York City Fire Department, suspect "a higher hand was in control." Even Alcides Moreno isn't sure how he survived a 47-story fall from Manhattan's Solow Building on Dec. 7, 2007....
This Ancient Vial of Blood
Suggests 2017 Is Cursed
Dec 22, 2016 6:21 AM CST
This Ancient Vial of Blood Suggests 2017 Is Cursed
Saint's blood failed to liquefy, just like in 1939
- And you thought 2016 was a rough year. Humanity is apparently in for a disaster equal to World War II or a cholera epidemic, based on an ancient vial of blood. According to legend, a woman collected the blood of Saint Januarius, or San Gennaro—the once pious bishop of...
Woman Dies After Drinking
'Cure' That's Basically Clorox
Oct 27, 2016 3:47 PM CDT
Woman Dies After Drinking 'Cure' That's Basically Clorox
It's promoted by a fringe church whose founder says he's from another galaxy
- An institution calling itself the Genesis II Church of Health and Healing is anything but, according to a man who says an elixir promoted by the church as a "miracle cure" is the same concoction that killed her, ABC News reports. Doug Nash says he and his wife, Sylvia...
2 Kids Had
'Miracle Escape' in
Theme Park Tragedy
Oct 26, 2016 4:31 AM CDT
2 Kids Had 'Miracle Escape' in Theme Park Tragedy
They're traumatized but physically unharmed
- Two Australian children are traumatized but alive after what authorities are calling a miraculous escape in Tuesday's theme park tragedy . The children, a 10-year-old boy and a 13-year-old girl, both saw their mothers die on Thunder River Rapids ride at the Dreamworld park and escaped physically unharmed, the
to Pull the Plug and
Then ... a Wiggling Toe
Sep 30, 2016 7:55 AM CDT
Getting Ready to Pull the Plug and Then ... a Wiggling Toe
Doctors were about to switch off Sam Hemming's life support for the final time
- A chance glance and a big toe saved a 22-year-old woman's life in the UK, the
reports. Sam Hemming, a law school graduate of North Wales' Bangor University, was being driven home to Hereford by her boyfriend, Tom Curtis, in July when they got into an accident,...
9-Year-Old Finds Sunburned Newborn Left in Backyard
Jul 12, 2016 10:51 AM CDT
9-Year-Old Finds Sunburned Newborn Left in Backyard
Infant was left in the sun for hours: police
- At first, Elysia Laub thought she was looking at a piglet that had escaped her pig pen. Only when she summoned her mom did she realize that the bundle, wrapped in a black towel in the backyard of her family's home in Lowell, Ind., was actually a newborn baby...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.