Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mexico's Top Court
Sep 6, 2023 4:42 PM CDT
Mexico's Top Court Decriminalizes Abortion Nationwide
Crime will be removed from country's penal code
- Mexico's Supreme Court decriminalized abortion nationwide Wednesday, two years after ruling that abortion was not a crime in one northern state. That earlier ruling had set off a grinding process of decriminalizing abortion state by state. Last week, the central state of Aguascalientes became the 12th of Mexico's...
RFK Jr. Says He'd
Sign Federal Abortion
Ban, Then Does 180
Aug 14, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
RFK Jr. Says He'd Sign Federal Abortion Ban, Then Does 180
2024 presidential candidate later says he misunderstood question
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. said he'd sign a federal abortion ban if he wins the 2024 presidential election, then quickly did a 180. The Democratic presidential candidate was asked by a NBC News reporter while visiting the Iowa State Fair Sunday whether he would sign "federal protection" for...
What the Ohio Vote
on Abortion Means
Aug 9, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
What the Ohio Vote on Abortion Means
It appears to be trouble for the GOP strategy of leaving the issue up to the states, for now
- Ohio voters delivered a victory for abortion access on Tuesday, even if they didn't explicitly vote on abortion. Instead, they rejected a GOP-backed proposal (called Issue 1) that would have made it harder to amend the state's constitution. However, the vote was widely understood to be an attempt...
Ohio Voters Deliver
Big Win for Abortion Rights
Aug 8, 2023 9:46 PM CDT
Ohio Voters Deliver Big Win for Abortion Rights
57% reject measure that would have changed the ballot process
- Ohio voters on Tuesday roundly rejected a Republican ballot measure that was widely seen as aiming to make it more difficult for an amendment enshrining abortion rights to someday be added to the state constitution. While Issue 1, which more than 57% of voters voted against, according to Decision Desk...
Big Abortion-Rights Victory
in Ruling Over Texas Ban
Aug 5, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Big Abortion-Rights Victory in Ruling Over Texas Ban
Injunction calls to allow for exceptions for serious pregnancy complications, though appeal blocks it
- A Texas judge ruled Friday the state's abortion ban has proven too restrictive for women with serious pregnancy complications and must allow exceptions without doctors fearing the threat of criminal charges. The ruling was the first to undercut Texas' law, one of the most restrictive in the US, since it...
Poll: 58% of Ohioans Back
Abortion Rights Amendment
Jul 24, 2023 1:45 PM CDT
Poll: 58% of Ohioans Back Abortion Rights Amendment
But Republicans are trying to raise threshold for amendments to 60%
- A proposed constitutional amendment on abortion rights in Ohio is supported by a large majority of voters, including a third of Republicans, according to a
/Suffolk University. The amendment, which would enshrine abortion rights in the state constitution, was supported 58% to 32%, with the backing of what...
In Ohio, a 'Huge Step Forward'
for Abortion Access
Jul 6, 2023 12:32 PM CDT
In Ohio, a 'Huge Step Forward' for Abortion Access
Abortion rights advocates submit nearly double the number of signatures needed to get on ballot
- Groups hoping to enshrine abortion rights in Ohio's Constitution delivered nearly double the number of signatures needed to place an amendment on the statewide ballot this fall, aiming to signal sweeping widespread support for an issue that still faces the threat of needing a significantly increased victory margin. Ohioans...
May 26, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
South Carolina Judge Halts 6-Week Abortion Ban
Ban reverts back to 20 weeks until state Supreme Court can review law, per Judge Clifton Newman
- A judge on Friday put a temporary halt to South Carolina's new law banning most abortions around six weeks of pregnancy until the state Supreme Court can review the measure. The ruling by Judge Clifton Newman came just about 24 hours after Gov. Henry McMaster signed the bill. The...
DeSantis, Trump Disagree
on Florida Abortion Ban
May 17, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
DeSantis, Trump Disagree on Florida Abortion Ban
Trump says even pro-lifers think it's 'harsh,' DeSantis hits back
- Ron DeSantis and Donald Trump are publicly disagreeing once again. In an interview with digital news startup The Messenger published Monday, Trump said Florida's six-week abortion ban, which has not yet taken effect, may have gone too far even for some on the right. "If you look at...
GOP Pol Slams Own
Leader for 'Taking Us
Off a Cliff' on Abortion
Apr 29, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
GOP Pol Slams Own Leader for 'Taking Us Off a Cliff' on Abortion
Abortion bans in red states of South Carolina, Nebraska fall short in votes
- Abortion bans in Nebraska and South Carolina fell short of advancing in close votes amid heated debates among Republicans, confounding conservatives who've dominated both legislatures and further exposing the chasm on the issue of abortion within the GOP. In Nebraska, where abortion is banned after 20 weeks of pregnancy,...
DOJ Appeals Abortion Pill
Ruling to Supreme Court
Apr 13, 2023 1:38 PM CDT
DOJ Appeals Abortion Pill Ruling to Supreme Court
Garland announces request for emergency relief restoring full access to mifepristone
- The Justice Department has announced it will not settle for the limited access to the abortion drug mifepristone that was restored late Wednesday by a federal appeals court. Attorney General Merrick Garland said the Justice Department "strongly disagrees" with the ruling, per ABC News , in announcing Thursday that the...
Abortion Pill Fight at SCOTUS
May Be 'Boundary Testing'
Apr 11, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Abortion Pill Fight at SCOTUS May Be 'Boundary Testing'
Legal experts say even conservative judges will see reason to pause
- An attorney for abortion pill distributor Danco Laboratories says the company will appeal to the Supreme Court if the US 5th Circuit Court of Appeals doesn't block a Texas judge's decision to reverse FDA approval of mifepristone. It's an "unprecedented judicial assault on a careful regulatory...
Fate Uncertain as
Judges Face Off
Apr 8, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Abortion Pill's Fate Uncertain as Judges Face Off
Texas' Kacsmaryk orders hold on mifepristone access, Washington's Rice orders the opposite
- Access to the most commonly used method of abortion in the US plunged into uncertainty Friday following conflicting court rulings over the legality of the abortion medication mifepristone that has been widely available for more than 20 years. For now, the drug that the Food and Drug Administration approved in...
Idaho Governor Signs
'Abortion Trafficking' Bill
Apr 6, 2023 12:51 PM CDT
Idaho Governor Signs 'Abortion Trafficking' Bill
First-of-its-kind law bans adults from helping minors get abortions without parents' consent
- Idaho Gov. Brad Little signed a bill into law Wednesday that makes it illegal for an adult to help a minor get an abortion without parental consent. The law is the first of its kind in the US and creates a new crime of "abortion trafficking," barring adults...
Michigan Governor Repeals
1931 Abortion Law
Apr 6, 2023 3:39 AM CDT
Michigan Governor Repeals 1931 Abortion Law
Whitmer strikes unconstitutional abortion ban from the books
- A near-century-old abortion ban that fueled one of the largest ballot drives in Michigan history was repealed Wednesday by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, just months after voters enshrined abortion rights in the state's constitution. "Today, we’re going to take action to make sure that our statutes and our...
Wyoming Abortion Ban
Mar 23, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Judge Blocks Wyoming Abortion Ban
Abortion will again be legal, at least temporarily
- Abortion will again be legal in Wyoming—at least for now—after a judge on Wednesday temporarily blocked a ban that took effect a few days earlier, the AP reports. Teton County District Court Judge Melissa Owens’ decision halts the ban amid a challenge in her court to a law...
Overturns Part of
State's Abortion Ban
Mar 22, 2023 12:01 AM CDT
Oklahoma Supreme Court Overturns Part of State's Abortion Ban
Rules that women have right to abortion if needed to preserve their life
- A divided Oklahoma Supreme Court on Tuesday overturned a portion of the state’s near total ban on abortion, ruling women have a right to abortion when pregnancy risks their health, not just in a medical emergency, the AP reports. It was a narrow win for abortion rights advocates since...
On Roe v. Wade,
Sees a 'Loophole'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 11, 2023 12:15 PM CST
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Judge in criminal case says 13th Amendment could provide a national right to abortion
- In a pending criminal case against anti-abortion activists, a federal judge on Monday raised what CNBC is calling an "eyebrow-raising hypothetical" on the issue of a constitutional right to abortion. Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly said that when the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade with its ruling last year in...
Texas Suit Could Lead
to 'Backdoor Ban on Abortion'
Feb 11, 2023 8:30 AM CST
Texas Suit Could Lead to 'Backdoor Ban on Abortion'
Complaint, which seeks to reverse longtime FDA OK, could halt all sales of mifepristone pills
- A Texas lawsuit with a key deadline this month could threaten the nationwide availability of medication abortion, which now accounts for the majority of abortions in the US. The case filed by abortion opponents who helped challenge Roe v. Wade seeks to reverse a decades-old approval by the Food and...
On the Same Day,
2 Big Abortion Decisions
Jan 6, 2023 1:10 AM CST
On the Same Day, 2 Big Abortion Decisions
In South Carolina, a win for abortion rights supporters; in Idaho, a loss
- The South Carolina Supreme Court on Thursday struck down a ban on abortion after six weeks, ruling the restriction enacted by the Deep South state violates a state constitutional right to privacy, the AP reports. The decision marked a significant victory for abortion rights' advocates suddenly forced to find safeguards...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.