Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Biden's Warning on Abortion:
'People Are Gonna Be Shocked'
Jul 2, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Biden's Warning on Abortion: 'People Are Gonna Be Shocked'
President anticipates some states may try to arrest women trying to access procedure in other states
- President Biden met virtually Friday with Democratic state governors to discuss abortion rights, and he offered an ominous prediction on what he sees happening in the wake of last week's overturning of Roe v. Wade by the Supreme Court. Reuters notes that, as a result of that ruling, women...
Biden: 'Outrageous Behavior'
From SCOTUS Is 'Destabilizing'
Jun 30, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Biden: 'Outrageous Behavior' From SCOTUS Is 'Destabilizing'
'We have to codify Roe v. Wade,' he says
- President Biden said Thursday that it was a "mistake" for the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade—and he supports making an exception to the filibuster to deal with it. "We have to codify Roe v. Wade in the law, and the way to do that is...
Popular Period Tracker Says
It's Got Users' Backs on Privacy
Jun 30, 2022 8:11 AM CDT
Popular Period Tracker Says It's Got Users' Backs on Privacy
Flo launches 'Anonymous Mode' to scrub customer identifiers that can aid in abortion prosecutions
- As women scramble to delete period and fertility tracker apps from their mobile devices in the wake of last week's Roe v. Wade decision , with fears that data from such apps could be tied to prosecutions over abortion, one of the largest health apps is assuring customers their information...
Abortion Rights Protections on
November Ballots in 2 States
Jun 28, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Abortion Rights Protections on November Ballots in 2 States
California, Vermont will have amendments to state constitutions put to public vote in midterms
- With so-called "trigger laws" on abortion bans starting to kick in across the nation, some states are going on the offensive to protect access to the procedure. ABC30 reports that the California Assembly on Monday gave the green light to an amendment to the state's constitution, which will...
Jun 28, 2022 1:24 AM CDT
Courts Block Louisiana, Utah Trigger Laws
Louisiana's 3 abortion clinics plan to resume services
A second so-called "trigger law" banning abortion was temporarily blocked by a judge Monday, this one in Utah. The 14-day ban will allow the court to hear challenges to the law, the AP reports. Meanwhile, a South Carolina "heartbeat" abortion law was allowed to go into effect....
to the Ground
During LA Protest
Jun 27, 2022 6:32 PM CDT
Star to the Ground During LA Protest
Jodie Sweetin was taking part in an abortion rights protest
- Jodie Sweetin, best known for playing Stephanie Tanner on
, joined protests against the overturning of Roe v. Wade in Los Angeles over the weekend and was shoved to the ground by an LAPD officer. Video shows Sweetin, 40, being shoved as she apparently tries to...
State's Only Abortion Clinic
Is Moving to the Next State
Jun 27, 2022 1:29 PM CDT
State's Only Abortion Clinic Is Moving to the Next State
North Dakota clinic has raised more than $650K for move to Minnesota
- The Red River Women's Clinic, long the the only abortion clinic in North Dakota, is moving to the other side of the Red River in response to the Supreme Court's reversal of Roe v. Wade . The clinic, which is moving a few miles away to Moorhead, Minnesota, raised...
Roe Will Give
Jun 27, 2022 12:04 AM CDT
Josh Hawley: Roe Will Give GOP More Electoral Strength
Senator says Democrats will head for blue states
Roe v. Wade
overturned, social media has been flooded with posts by pro-choice US residents considering a move to another state. According to Republican Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri, that's exactly what the GOP needs to happen. His prediction: "More and more red states are going to...
'I Feel Misled'
Jun 25, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Collins on Roe Ruling: 'I Feel Misled'
GOP senator, Dem Sen. Manchin say Kavanaugh, Gorsuch assured them this wouldn't happen
- As reaction continues to the Supreme Court's landmark decision Friday to overturn Roe v. Wade, two big names in government are expressing their unhappiness about it—partly because they feel personally bamboozled by two of the high court's conservative justices who voted with the majority. "I...
Roberts: The Court
Didn't Need to Do This
Jun 24, 2022 1:26 PM CDT
Roberts: The Court Didn't Need to Do This
Chief justice says decision to overturn Roe was 'dramatic' and unnecessary
- In the Mississippi abortion case that led to the overturning of Roe v. Wade , the Supreme Court voted 6-3 to side with the state. But the bigger-picture decision to overturn the 1973 law received the support of only five justices, notes the
Wall Street Journal
. That's because while Chief...
Pelosi: Roe Decision Is
'Slap in the Face to Women'
Jun 24, 2022 12:03 PM CDT
Pelosi: Roe Decision Is 'Slap in the Face to Women'
Speaker vows to codify law protecting abortion rights after Supreme Court ruling
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi blasted the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, declaring that "the radical Supreme Court is eviscerating American rights and endangering their health and safety," per the Hill . She added: "What this means to women is such an insult. It's...
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas
Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Jun 24, 2022 10:58 AM CDT
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Justice says Supreme Court should reconsider decisions on contraception, same-sex couplings
- Roe v. Wade has been officially overturned by the US Supreme Court, eliminating federal protections for abortion rights that have been in place for nearly 50 years, but a solo concurring opinion by Justice Clarence Thomas is also getting attention. In his writing, Thomas notes that, based on the reversal...
Japan Accused of Being in
'Middle Ages' on Abortion Move
May 31, 2022 8:28 AM CDT
Japan Accused of Being in 'Middle Ages' on Abortion Move
Abortion pill set to be approved soon, but a woman will reportedly need partner's consent to get it
- Japan is said to be on the cusp of approving the abortion pill later this year, with an application from pharma firm Linepharma up for approval there. There'll be a major "but," however, tacked onto the law, one which has women's reproductive rights activists up in...
Archbishop to Pelosi:
No More Communion for You
May 21, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Archbishop to Pelosi: No More Communion for You
San Francisco's Salvatore Cordileone says House speaker must repudiate support for abortion rights
- The conservative Catholic archbishop of San Francisco said Friday that he'll no longer allow US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to receive Communion because of her support for abortion rights. Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone said he sent Pelosi a letter April 7 expressing his concerns after she vowed to codify the...
Study Explored What Happens
When Abortions Are Denied
May 16, 2022 1:43 PM CDT
Study Explored What Happens When Abortions Are Denied
Among other things, women tended to end up in tougher financial straits, according to Turnaway Study
- In a 2007 abortion case, then-Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote: “While we find no reliable data to measure the phenomenon, it seems unexceptionable to conclude some women come to regret their choice. … Severe depression and loss of esteem can follow.” Per NPR, those words caught demographer Diana Greene...
'If It's a Fight They Want,
It's a Fight They'll Get'
May 14, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
'If It's a Fight They Want, It's a Fight They'll Get'
Abortion rights advocates are set to demonstrate across the nation on Saturday
- Demonstrators facing down a Supreme Court decision that could overturn the constitutional right to abortion planned rallies from coast to coast Saturday to express their outrage—and to mobilize for the fight ahead. More than 380 events were set from Maine to Hawaii, with the largest gatherings expected in Los...
Louisiana Bill to Classify
Abortion as Homicide Is Dead
May 13, 2022 4:37 AM CDT
Louisiana Bill to Classify Abortion as Homicide Is Dead
State lawmakers passed amendment that 'dismantled' proposal
: A Louisiana anti-abortion bill that was strongly opposed even by prominent anti-abortion groups is history. State Rep. Danny McCormick, the bill's Republican sponsor, pulled the bill from debate Thursday night after the GOP-dominated House voted in favor of an amendment that "essentially dismantled" it, the
Abortion Rights Bill
Fails in 51-49 Senate Vote
May 11, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Abortion Rights Bill Fails in 51-49 Senate Vote
Joe Manchin votes with all 50 Republicans
- In what Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said was a decision that "will live in infamy," legislation to protect abortion rights in federal law was rejected in a 51-49 Senate vote Wednesday. Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin joined all 50 Republicans in the chamber to vote against proceeding, but...
Anti-Abortion Group After HQ
Arson: 'We Will Not Back Down'
May 9, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
Anti-Abortion Group After HQ Arson: 'We Will Not Back Down'
Wisconsin Family Action's offices in Madison, Wis., were vandalized, set on fire
- With a looming final decision by the Supreme Court on Roe v. Wade as the backdrop, the pushback against anti-abortion legislation is ramping up . In Wisconsin over the weekend, that defiance took the form of vandalism and arson at the offices of an anti-abortion group, which issued its own defiant...
New Front in Abortion
Fight May Be Over Pills
May 5, 2022 12:54 PM CDT
New Front in Abortion Fight May Be Over Pills
'This is just not going to be stoppable,' says legal expert
- Women have been getting around Texas' strict abortion law by ordering abortion pills from out of state or overseas. So could women across the country do the same if the Supreme Court overturns the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision ensuring abortion rights nationwide as expected? Here's the latest talk:...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Allegations of Witness Tampering Gain Traction
Kaitlin Armstrong Was Trying to Build New Life in Costa Rica
Navy Investigation Blames 'Complacency' for Leak That Poisoned Water
His Headless Body Was Found in 1995. His Widow Was Just Arrested
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.