Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
The 10 Worst US
Cities for Traffic
Mar 16, 2016 8:37 AM CDT
The 10 Worst US Cities for Traffic
LA takes the top spot, followed by Washington
- There's a good reason to feel better about your commute—unless you live in one of these 10 US cities. Car services company INRIX is out with a list of the worst US cities for traffic, based on how many hours the average commuter spent in the car in...
Feb 19, 2016 8:42 AM CST
Brussels' New Traffic Nightmare: Hungry Mice
Rodents in Brussels don't give 2 hoots about traffic congestion, apparently
- Decaying road tunnels have left Brussels in a perpetual state of traffic chaos, but repairs are apparently on hold due to what CityLab deems possibly "the world's worst excuse for poor infrastructure": hungry rodents. Because the transportation department was housed 25 years ago in a hotel (apparently when...
These Are the 10 Worst
Traffic Bottlenecks in the US
Nov 25, 2015 5:20 PM CST
These Are the 10 Worst Traffic Bottlenecks in the US
And yes, a lot of them are in Los Angeles
- Face it, with the holidays approaching we're all going to be stuck in traffic for at least a little bit. But we won't have it nearly as bad as the poor saps trying to get through the following 10 bottlenecks, which were deemed the worst in the country...
Stop Signs in
Oct 21, 2015 6:48 PM CDT
Cyclists Fighting Stop Signs in San Francisco
'It feels like the Wild West'
- How would you feel about being able to legally roll through a stop sign while riding a bike? Your answer to that question probably depends on whether you're a cyclist or a driver. The
New York Times
reports San Francisco is considering a controversial ordinance that would allow bicycles...
This Is What
Paris Looks Like
Sep 27, 2015 6:00 PM CDT
This Is What Paris Looks Like Without Cars
Symbolic act aims to cut pollution in big cities
- Pretty but noisy Paris, its gracious Old World buildings blackened by exhaust fumes, is going car-less for a day. Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo presided over Sunday's "day without cars," two months before the city hosts the global summit on climate change. The symbolic initiative is aimed at...
You Threw Away
$960 Sitting in
Traffic Last Year
Aug 26, 2015 10:37 AM CDT
You Threw Away $960 Sitting in Traffic Last Year
Average American driver spent 42 hours bumper-to-bumper
- If you're stuck in traffic for a few minutes today, look on the bright side: Those few minutes are nothing compared to the 42 hours the average rush-hour commuter spent in traffic last year—or the 6.9 billion hours American drivers squandered while bumper-to-bumper—at a cost of...
Has Been Red
Jun 21, 2015 6:00 AM CDT
Traffic Light Has Been Red for Nearly 30 Years
Also that color: the red tape requiring it remain that way in Germany
- A traffic light in Dresden, Germany, has been red for nearly 30 years now, and city officials say that won't change anytime soon. The light sits at the corner of Ziegelstraße street, and drivers have only one choice when they come to it—to turn "right on...
Can Actually Be
Apr 26, 2015 9:19 AM CDT
One-Way Streets Can Actually Be More Dangerous
The roads may provide a haven for crime: researchers
- Turns out one-way streets may make neighborhoods more dangerous—and in some cases, it's not because of the traffic itself. Researchers who have studied cities across the country are pointing to a possible risk of higher crime on one-way streets with two lanes, as compared to two-way streets. For...
Tunnel to Be Built
Under Nativity Site?
Dec 23, 2014 9:47 AM CST
Tunnel to Be Built Under Nativity Site?
Traffic-clogged Bethlehem eyes passage beneath Nativity Church
- O' little town of Bethlehem is dealing with a problem that typically plagues big cities: traffic. Though it claims just 28,000 residents, its small streets make for a traffic nightmare, and the lanes around Nativity Church, which marks the spot where tradition says Jesus was born, are no exception....
Woman Sues Boss Over
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 29, 2014 7:00 PM CDT
Woman Sues Boss Over Rush-Hour Traffic
She claims it made her anxious to the point of disability
- Rush-hour traffic is a pain, but can it qualify you for a disability? A New Jersey woman is trying to make her case in court against a former employer, reports the
. Andrea DeGerolamo worked for Fulton Financial in 2012 when, according to her lawsuit, she "began to feel...
Jan 8, 2014 4:26 PM CST
Christie: I'm 'Outraged' at Traffic Allegations
Denies knowledge, says aides will be held responsible for causing gridlock to punish rival
- Chris Christie has responded to today's amazing allegations that his aides deliberately caused massive traffic jams on the world's busiest bridge to punish a political rival: The New Jersey governor insists that he had nothing to do with it and suggests that heads will roll, reports Politico . The...
Emails Tied to
Jan 8, 2014 1:12 PM CST
Christie Aides' Emails Tied to Traffic Scandal
'Time for some traffic in Fort Lee,' said one after mayor refused to endorse him
- Starting Sept. 9—the first day of school—a pair of closed lanes between a New Jersey city and the George Washington Bridge to New York caused massive traffic problems for several days. Officials have said the closures were part of a traffic study, but emails and text messages, newly...
Optical Illusion to
Sep 13, 2013 11:51 AM CDT
Optical Illusion to Slow Down Florida Drivers
Closer road lines may get drivers to brake in pilot program
- If you can't get drivers to slow down on their own, why not trick them into it? That's the idea behind a pilot program in Florida that will give drivers the illusion they're driving faster than they are. How exactly? With road "hash marks" painted gradually...
Fed Up With LA Traffic, CEO Gives $50K to Speed Work
Apr 25, 2013 5:09 PM CDT
Fed Up With LA Traffic, CEO Gives $50K to Speed Work
Elon Musk says he'll provide even more of his own money if it will help
- Surprise, surprise: Los Angeles again ranked as the city with the worst traffic congestion in America in an annual survey out this week, reports Reuters . Here's a sign of how bad things are, from the
: Entrepreneur Elon Musk —he of Tesla, PayPal, and SpaceX—has forked...
Apr 10, 2013 2:21 PM CDT
Growing Up Near Traffic Boosts Kids' Cancer Risk
Study indicates that kids suffer from living near exhaust
- Living near traffic may be even worse for kids than previously believed, a new study suggests. California researchers ranked parts of the state based on their exhaust-related pollution, studied their populations, and found that kids from the more polluted areas were at a greater risk for certain childhood cancers, including...
First Big City
All Traffic Lights
Apr 2, 2013 2:05 PM CDT
Los Angeles First Big City to Synchronize All Traffic Lights
But whether it will make a big dent in gridlock is unclear
- Somewhere in a bunker underneath downtown Los Angeles works a guy named Edward Yu, traffic god. Yu runs the software that controls all 4,500 traffic lights in the city, explains the
New York Times
, and this is noteworthy because LA has become the first major metro area to sync...
Georgia Bill Outlaws
Feb 27, 2013 1:11 PM CST
Georgia Bill Outlaws Left-Lane Slowpokes
Legislator wants to fine them for not switching lanes
- A state trooper-turned-lawmaker in Georgia intends to make it illegal for slow drivers to dawdle in the left lane, reports the Huffington Post . His proposed bill would require drivers to move to the right if they're going below the speed limit in the passing lane and cars are behind...
Sitting in Traffic
Cost Us Each
$800 in 2011
Feb 5, 2013 9:33 AM CST
Sitting in Traffic Cost Us Each $800 in 2011
Commuters released 56B extra pounds of carbon dioxide: study
- This may not do much to quell road rage: America's commuters each wasted an average of $818 in time and gas while stuck in traffic in 2011, a yearly study finds, for a total of $121 billion nationwide. That's up $1 billion from the year before, the AP...
Russian Drivers Stuck
in 2-Day Traffic Jam
Dec 3, 2012 10:51 AM CST
Russian Drivers Stuck in 2-Day Traffic Jam
At its worst, backup stretched 125 miles
- And you thought your commute was bad: Snow in Russia caused an insane traffic jam this weekend, with thousands of cars and trucks stuck on a major highway yesterday. Some had been stuck for more than two days, as they struggled to keep their engines running and their vehicles heated,...
New York Subway
Rolls Again, Eases
Nov 1, 2012 6:56 AM CDT
New York Subway Rolls Again, Eases Commute Misery
Commuters line up hour before system opens
- The majority of New York's subway rolled back into action today—and commuters can ride it, along with commuter trains and buses, for free, thanks to Gov. Andrew Cuomo's declaration of a transportation emergency, the
New York Post
reports. But it's not yet smooth commuting:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Great Barrier Reef Just 'Gave Birth'
New COVID Variant Is a 'Big Jump in Evolution'
Snowboarding Legend Dies in Filming Accident
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Wrongfully Jailed at 18, He's Now a Millionaire
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.