Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Study: LA No Longer Has
the Country's Worst Traffic
Jun 30, 2021 2:27 PM CDT
Study: LA No Longer Has the Country's Worst Traffic
New York took top spot in 2020, researchers say
- America's biggest city has knocked its West Coast rival off the top of a chart—but New Yorkers probably aren't going to brag about it. According to Texas A&M University's Urban Mobility Report, the New York-Newark region now has the worst traffic in the country. This...
Woman Shooting Snapchat
Video Falls Out Into Traffic
Sep 20, 2020 11:40 AM CDT
Woman Shooting Snapchat Video Falls Out Into Traffic
You know how police feel when they tweet, "#nowords"
- A woman gave freeway drivers a little surprise Saturday when she spilled out of a moving car while shooting a Snapchat video—right into the next lane, the
reports. British police said her misadventure began at about 1:30am as she hung out of the front passenger door on...
New E-Bike Ad Made France
So Anxious It Was Banned
in case you missed it
Jul 11, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
New E-Bike Ad Made France So Anxious It Was Banned
Country's regulatory agency bans commercial for VanMoof's S3 for 'creating climate of anxiety'
- If you feel a little wound up while watching the latest commercial for a Dutch e-bicycle, France's advertising regulatory agency gets it. The 45-second ad for VanMoof's $2,000 S3 e-bike that debuted last month features scenes of bumper-to-bumper traffic, with images of car accidents and smokestacks spewing...
Uber Was Supposed to Ease
Traffic. We Got the Opposite
Feb 17, 2020 11:38 AM CST
Uber Was Supposed to Ease Traffic. We Got the Opposite
Studies suggest ride-sharing makes congestion worse
- In the early days of Uber and Lyft, executives and proponents made bold promises of reducing traffic. "If every car in San Francisco was Ubered, there would be no traffic," then-CEO Travis Kalanick famously said five years ago. The idea was that multiple strangers would be sharing rides...
Burger King's New Customer
Base: People in Traffic Jams
May 16, 2019 1:15 PM CDT
Burger King's New Customer Base: People in Traffic Jams
Service is in Mexico City now, Los Angeles in future
- Getting stuck in traffic in Mexico City is no bueno, though Burger King is working to improve the experience with a "Traffic Jam Whooper." As AdAge reports, a new delivery service in one of the world's most congested cities allows drivers stuck in traffic to order food...
Cops Say She Drove 70mph
While He Clung to the Hood
Jun 28, 2018 2:40 PM CDT
Cops Say She Drove 70mph While He Clung to the Hood
The two have a 'complicated relationship,' said the ex-boyfriend afterward
- A Florida woman was charged with a misdemeanor after she allegedly drove nearly 20 miles at speeds of up to 70mph, with her ex-boyfriend clinging to the hood of their 2010 Mercedes, reports the Smoking Gun . Patresha Isidore, 24, and Junior Francis, 22, had an argument at a home in...
10 Worst Cities for Traffic
Feb 6, 2018 4:58 PM CST
10 Worst Cities for Traffic
Sorry, drivers of Los Angeles
- It's not a title that Los Angeles drivers want, but it's one that probably won't surprise them much. INRIX, a company that specializes in transportation data, calls LA the most congested city in the world for traffic in its annual report card . The results show that Los...
Drivers Who Cut Through
This Town Might Owe $200
Dec 27, 2017 3:00 PM CST
Drivers Who Cut Through This Town Might Owe $200
Leonia, New Jersey, is outlawing out-of-town drivers during rush hour
- Authorities in Leonia, New Jersey, are so tired of out-of-town drivers clogging their streets during rush hour that they're taking what even the police chief acknowledges is "extreme" action: They're outlawing out-of-town drivers at crunch time. Soon, anyone not from Leonia caught driving there between 6 and...
Pope Urges Traffic Police
to Show Mercy to Drivers
Nov 21, 2017 2:01 AM CST
Pope Urges Traffic Police to Show Mercy to Drivers
But he's against people using cellphones while driving
- Pope Francis says police should exercise the Christian virtue of mercy—even when dealing with Italy's notorious traffic. At a meeting with officers in charge of the nation's roads Monday, he praised their work but urged them to show mercy in the situations they encounter daily, the BBC...
Elon Musk Shares
First Photo of
Tunnel Under LA
Oct 31, 2017 4:33 AM CDT
Elon Musk Shares First Photo of Tunnel Under LA
He wasn't joking about digging a tunnel to avoid traffic
- When Elon Musk said late last year that the "soul-destroying" Los Angeles traffic was driving him nuts and he was going to "just start digging," a lot of people thought he was joking . Then he started digging. On Monday, the tech billionaire shared a photo on Instagram...
London Overrun With
Mystery Bug Swarm
May 17, 2017 11:29 AM CDT
London Overrun With Mystery Bug Swarm
The flying insects descended on Greenwich
- Social media users in London are buzzing about an apparent swarm of flying insects that has descended on one part of the city. Videos posted to Twitter Tuesday show people ducking as the insects descend on Greenwich in southeast London, reports the AP . It's not clear what the bugs...
10 Worst Cities in World
for Traffic Congestion
Feb 20, 2017 9:01 AM CST
10 Worst Cities in World for Traffic Congestion
Los Angeles drivers fare the worst
- Los Angeles is a world leader in an unwanted way: traffic congestion. In a study by analytics firm Inrix, the city topped all others in terms of how much time people spend stuck in gridlock traffic, reports
. In LA, it broke down to 104 hours per person in...
Live Near Heavy Traffic?
You Have Higher Dementia Risk
Jan 5, 2017 12:59 PM CST
Live Near Heavy Traffic? You Have Higher Dementia Risk
Study finds that those who live near major roads are more likely to develop dementia
- Those who live near a high-traffic area may be at a higher risk of developing dementia, a new study out of Canada finds. Researchers looked at the records of more than 6.5 million Ontario residents ages 20 to 85 between 2001 and 2012, and found that within that group...
How 3K Cars Could
Replace NYC's 14K Taxis
Jan 3, 2017 6:15 PM CST
How 3K Cars Could Replace NYC's 14K Taxis
Two words: ride sharing
- It's no wonder New York City traffic is so awful , with 13,600 taxis navigating the streets. But just 3,000 sedans could accomplish about as much, according to a new study . Using a computer formula, MIT researchers discovered that just 3,000 four-person vehicles could provide for 98%...
First Dance on
Nov 30, 2016 10:21 AM CST
Newlyweds Have First Dance on Ohio Highway
Jeff and Rebecca Payne weren't about to let a little traffic jam put a damper on wedding
- A slow jam in a traffic jam is how a newlywed couple in Ohio dealt with a wedding day setback on Saturday, WLWT reports. Jeff and Rebecca Payne were headed from their ceremony to their reception in Dayton when they got stuck in traffic on US Route 35 after a...
Oct 30, 2016 1:10 PM CDT
Finally, a Traffic Light That Makes Driving Better
Artificial intelligence could be coming to a block near you
- If you've ever called a traffic light "dumb," well, you're technically correct. Amidst the proliferation of smart devices, traffic lights have largely remained conventional, their colors changing based on preprogrammed timing that can go years without being adjusted. But there's a noteworthy exception, and it'...
Between Cars May
Soon Be Legal
in First State
Aug 5, 2016 12:46 PM CDT
Motorcycles Cruising Between Cars May Soon Be Legal in First State
Lane-splitting bill would make California first to formalize practice
- Lane-splitting—where motorcycles pass other cars in traffic by cruising in between—might soon be legal in at least one state: California. The state's Assembly unanimously passed a bill Thursday giving the California Highway Patrol authority to create guidelines for the practice, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. The bill,...
The 10 Worst US
Cities for Drivers
Jul 13, 2016 8:20 AM CDT
The 10 Worst US Cities for Drivers
Washington, Detroit top the list
- Be sure to take the bus when visiting the nation's capital. That's the takeaway from WalletHub's ranking of the worst US cities for drivers, based on gas prices, hours spent in traffic, crash deaths, car thefts, parking fees, and more in the country's 100 biggest cities....
Rots Amid Fight
Jun 13, 2016 6:40 PM CDT
Neighborhood Rots Amid Fight Over Bridge to Canada
Billionaire Manuel Moroun wants to tear them down
- A Canadian neighborhood is rotting away in a dispute over who gets to control bridge traffic into the US—elected officials or a Detroit billionaire, the
New York Times
reports. The complex battle involves the Ambassador Bridge, which links Detroit to Windsor and is the only private road bridge between...
Cops Ticket Man
After He Posts
Video on How
to Beat Traffic
Mar 17, 2016 11:57 AM CDT
Cops Ticket Man After He Posts Video on How to Beat Traffic
'Can they do that?' guy asks. Police response: 'Yep'
- Michael Dalton found a shortcut in his Colorado neighborhood that helps beat congestion and avoids a nearby highway, so he posted it on Facebook in an attempt to help his neighbors, WCMH reports. Just two problems: The shortcut involves driving through private property, which earned Dalton criticism from some viewers...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
1.2M Pigs to Meet Demise Annually in New 'Pig Hotel'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.