Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Show Court a
Jul 15, 2022 7:36 AM CDT
Griner's Lawyers Show Court a Doctor's Note
In letter, doctor recommended WNBA star use medical cannabis for pain
- Brittney Griner's trial resumed in Khimki, Russia, on Friday, and a key defense argument tied her apparent use of vape cartridges to her health. Reuters reports that in the fourth hearing for the WNBA star, her lawyers told the court that Griner had been authorized to use medical cannabis...
Feb 3, 2022 12:27 AM CST
Mississippi Legalizes Medical Marijuana
Republican governor signs legislation into law
- Mississippi is legalizing medical marijuana for people with debilitating conditions such as cancer, AIDS, and sickle cell disease, the AP reports. Republican Gov. Tate Reeves signed the legislation Wednesday and it became law immediately. It could be months before the first marijuana dispensaries open. “There is no doubt that...
We May Not Need
Federal Marijuana Laws
Jun 29, 2021 1:22 AM CDT
Clarence Thomas: We May Not Need Federal Marijuana Laws
Because of the government's 'piecemeal approach'
- One of the Supreme Court's most conservative justices thinks we may be able to do away with federal weed laws. Clarence Thomas released a statement Monday in connection with the high court declining to hear an appeal from a Colorado pot dispensary looking to block the IRS from getting...
Mexico Takes Big Step
Toward Legalizing Pot
Mar 11, 2021 1:03 AM CST
Mexico Takes Big Step Toward Legalizing Pot
Measure sailed through Chamber of Deputies
- Mexico is on course to become the second North American country to fully legalize marijuana. Lawmakers in the lower house of the country's parliament voted 361-129 Wednesday night to legalize marijuana for recreational use, reports Reuters . The bill, which will allow people to grow up to six marijuana plants...
On Marijuana, a
Dec 2, 2020 9:40 AM CST
On Marijuana, a 'Huge, Historic Victory'
UN committee takes cannabis for medical use off of list of most dangerous drugs
- Drug policy advocates are celebrating a win this week after a United Nations commission voted to remove marijuana for medical use from a list of the world's most dangerous drugs. In a 27-25 vote, with only Ukraine abstaining, the 53 member states of the UN Commission on Narcotic Drugs...
Killed Girl Who
Inspired a Huge
Apr 9, 2020 4:00 AM CDT
Coronavirus Likely Killed Girl Who Inspired a Huge Movement
Charlotte Figi succumbed to horrible illness that hit her whole family
- By age 7, Charlotte Figi had inspired a movement and changed the way CBD is used for medicinal purposes. On Tuesday, at age 13, she died—likely as a result of the coronavirus. As the
reports, Charlotte's mom, Paige, had been posting on Facebook for weeks about...
Should Bengals, Browns Fans
Qualify for Medical Pot?
Jan 9, 2020 7:07 AM CST
Should Bengals, Browns Fans Qualify for Medical Pot?
Ohio board will actually consider the question
- Live in the state of Ohio? Suffer from lupus, insomnia, or being a Cincinnati Bengals or Cleveland Browns fan? You could soon qualify for a medical marijuana prescription, even for the latter "condition"—if the State Medical Board of Ohio approves its inclusion on the "eligible" list,...
NYC Student Held in Russia
Over Less Than Ounce of Pot
Sep 9, 2019 1:58 PM CDT
NYC Student Held in Russia Over Less Than Ounce of Pot
Audrey Lorber, a student at Pace University, had medical marijuana with her
- A New York City teenager's vacation in Russia is lasting longer than expected for all the wrong reasons. Audrey Lorber, a 19-year-old student at Pace University, was arrested when authorities found 19 grams of marijuana—about two-thirds of an ounce—on her at an airport in St. Petersburg, report...
Canadian Caught With CBD Oil
Faces Lifetime Ban From US
Aug 23, 2019 3:46 AM CDT
Canadian Caught With CBD Oil Faces Lifetime Ban From US
She tried to bring medicinal oil from Canada to a state with legal marijuana
- A young Canadian woman thought that since marijuana is legal throughout Canada and in Washington state, it would be OK to bring the non-psychoactive CBD oil she uses for medical purposes from one to the other. She was very wrong. The woman, who uses the cannabis-derived product to treat the...
Feds Growing Largest
Marijuana Crop in 5 Years
Jul 12, 2019 1:00 AM CDT
Feds Growing Largest Marijuana Crop in 5 Years
Ole Miss is growing more potent strains
- The US government is growing the largest crop of research marijuana in five years, responding to interest in varieties with high levels of THC and CBD. The government is the only source of pot for nearly all research in the US, while it still considers it illegal and dangerous. Scientists...
Poll: More and More, Everybody
Wants to Get (Legally) Stoned
Mar 20, 2019 12:03 AM CDT
Poll: More and More, Everybody Wants to Get (Legally) Stoned
Growing majority across all age groups now favor legal marijuana
- A growing majority of Americans say marijuana should be legal, underscoring a national shift as more states embrace cannabis for medical or recreational use. Support for legal marijuana hit 61% in 2018, up from 57% two years ago, according to the General Social Survey, a widely respected trend survey that...
CBS Refuses to Air Medical Pot
Ad During Super Bowl
Jan 22, 2019 1:48 PM CST
CBS Refuses to Air Medical Pot Ad During Super Bowl
Says current network broadcast standards do not allow it
- Even John Boehner's backing apparently wasn't enough to convince CBS to accept a medical marijuana ad during the Super Bowl. Acreage Holdings, the cannabis company for which the former House speaker is a board member , says it sent the network a rough outline of the proposed commercial and...
Send Students to Hospital
Nov 29, 2018 6:55 PM CST
THC-Laced Candies Send Students to Hospital
A middle school student now faces multiple felonies
- A Florida 12-year-old is facing seven felony charges for allegedly bringing a package of THC-laced gummy candies to school and sharing them with his classmates during a morning gym class at Mulberry Middle School in Polk County, ABC reports. Several students became ill with symptoms that included stomach pain, nausea,...
Florida Candidate Dumped by
Wells Fargo Over Marijuana
Aug 21, 2018 2:55 PM CDT
Florida Candidate Dumped by Wells Fargo Over Marijuana
Nikki Fried is a Democratic candidate for agriculture commissioner with ties to cannabis
- A political candidate in Florida has been dropped as a customer by Wells Fargo for her ties to and support of medical marijuana. Per the
Tampa Bay Business Journal
, Democratic candidate for agriculture commissioner Nikki Fried was forced to move her campaign funds to another institution because of this stance....
Man Beats Pot Charges With
Unusual Strategy: Admit Guilt
Jul 27, 2018 6:00 PM CDT
Man Beats Pot Charges With Unusual Strategy: Admit Guilt
Javonnie McCoy puts himself at mercy of jury, and they side with him over the law
- It's illegal to grow marijuana in Georgia, meaning things didn't look good for Javonnie McCoy when police busted him with nearly a pound of home-grown pot in his residence. Things surely looked worse for him when he got in front of a jury in Dublin, Georgia, and flat-out...
One State Now Lets School
Nurses Give Medical Pot
Jun 11, 2018 11:31 AM CDT
One State Now Lets School Nurses Give Medical Pot
New law in Colorado allows non-smokable marijuana for qualifying children
- In a move
says puts Colorado "ahead of the curve" once more on the cannabis front, Gov. John Hickenlooper has OKed a law that lets school nurses administer medical marijuana to students. The
reports House Bill 1286 allows a school nurse to give non-smokable medical...
Parents Sue School to Let
11-Year-Old Use Medical Pot
Jan 12, 2018 7:41 AM CST
Parents Sue School to Let 11-Year-Old Use Medical Pot
Illinois state law bans use of drug on school grounds
- Most parents would celebrate a school that specifically bars students from using marijuana on its premises. Not an Illinois couple. JS and MS, as they’re identified in court documents, are suing the state after a Schaumburg school district barred their 11-year-old daughter from using a medical cannabis patch and...
Veterans Pushing States
to Approve Pot
as PTSD Treatment
Nov 26, 2017 11:45 AM CST
Veterans Pushing States to Approve Pot as PTSD Treatment
28 states include PTSD in their medical marijuana programs
- Against the backdrop of the nation's largest Veterans Day parade, Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced this month he'd sign legislation making New York the latest in a fast-rising tide of states to OK therapeutic pot as a PTSD treatment, though it's illegal under federal law and doesn'...
Scores of Men Try to Land
Nov 3, 2017 9:56 AM CDT
Scores of Men Try to Land Gynecologist Appointment
It all started when an article mentioned Dr. Liang Bartkowiak's new certification
- A Pennsylvania gynecologist saw a huge uptick in calls for appointments. Only one problem: It was primarily men on the line. The flurry of calls began after Dr. Liang Bartkowiak was named in an
article as the first doctor in Altoona eligible to certify medical marijuana users. And...
'Big Milestone' for Medical
Marijuana in Hawaii
Aug 1, 2017 4:33 PM CDT
'Big Milestone' for Medical Marijuana in Hawaii
State allows first lab to begin testing it, 17 years after its use was approved
- Hawaii approved its first laboratory to begin testing samples of medical marijuana 17 years after use of the drug was legalized in the state, the AP reports. On Monday, the state Department of Health certified Honolulu-based lab Steep Hill Hawaii. That brings Hawaii closer to the long-awaited date when dispensaries...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Trump on Spy Balloon Reports: 'FAKE DISINFORMATION'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.