Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Bill Gates: Wife
Didn't Love How
Trump Spoke of
May 18, 2018 6:23 AM CDT
Bill Gates: Wife Didn't Love How Trump Spoke of Our Daughter
Gates also said Trump seemed confused about difference between HIV, HPV
- Bill Gates recently helmed a Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation meeting with staff, and per the
, he offered some anecdotes involving President Trump. In the footage aired Thursday night on MSNBC, Gates noted that when he first met Trump in late 2016, it was "kind of scary" how...
Grindr Busted Making
'Disturbing' HIV Revelations
Apr 3, 2018 9:10 AM CDT
Grindr Busted Making 'Disturbing' HIV Revelations
Company admits it has shared users' HIV status with 2 analytics vendors
- If Grindr users share their HIV status on the gay dating app, they may assume that revelation will stay among themselves, potential partners, and Grindr. But BuzzFeed reported Monday that Grindr shared that data (including HIV status and "last tested date," as well as email addresses) with two...
U2 Will Break 'Sacred Pledge,'
and You Could Take Part
Nov 28, 2017 9:50 AM CST
U2 Will Break 'Sacred Pledge,' and You Could Take Part
Up for a game of mini-golf?
- When the members of U2 were just young Irish lads, they made "a sacred pledge" to each other that has remained steadfast throughout their decades-long run as rock stars: Never play golf. "We didn't think it was rock 'n' roll," frontman Bono tells the AP...
Elton John Calls Out Georgia
Rep. for 'Horrific' HIV Comment
Oct 23, 2017 6:00 PM CDT
Elton John Calls Out Georgia Rep. for 'Horrific' HIV Comment
The singer became the latest to attack Betty Price
- Elton John has jumped into the American culture wars in response to comments from a Georgia state representative suggesting a quarantine might be necessary to stem the spread of HIV, Politico reports. In a statement released by the Elton John AIDS Foundation, the legendary British singer-songwriter lashed out at Rep....
Girl's HIV Drugs Were Halted 8
Years Ago. It's 'Promising'
Jul 24, 2017 7:53 AM CDT
Girl's HIV Drugs Were Halted 8 Years Ago. It's 'Promising'
Researchers point to early treatment that can possibly lead to long-term remission
- A South African girl born with the AIDS virus has kept her infection suppressed for more than eight years after stopping anti-HIV medicines—more evidence that early treatment can occasionally cause a long remission that, if it lasts, would be a form of cure. Her case was revealed Monday at...
AIDS Deaths Fall
by Half From 2005 Peak
Jul 20, 2017 8:16 AM CDT
AIDS Deaths Fall by Half From 2005 Peak
In a first, more than half of people with HIV are taking medication for it
- For the first time in the global AIDS epidemic that has spanned four decades and killed 35 million people, more than half of all those infected with HIV are on drugs to treat the virus, the UN said Thursday. AIDS deaths are also now close to half of what they...
6 Members of Trump's
HIV/AIDS Panel Quit
Jun 19, 2017 9:34 AM CDT
6 Members of Trump's HIV/AIDS Panel Quit
PACHA members say Trump 'simply does not care' about HIV/AIDS
- Six members of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS resigned in protest last week over what they call an administration that has "no strategy" to deal with the epidemic, and "a president who simply does not care," NBC News reports. A member of the group accused the...
HIV Rate Could Hit 50% for Gay
and Bisexual Black Men in US
Jun 7, 2017 2:48 PM CDT
HIV Rate Could Hit 50% for Gay and Bisexual Black Men in US
HIV rate for gay, bisexual black men in US higher than any country in world
- In 1981, the very first report on AIDS detailed five cases in gay white men. It left out a sixth case: that of a gay black man. The doctor behind the report now says that exclusion "might've made a difference." The HIV rate in gay and bisexual...
Man Charged With Murder
After Girlfriend Dies of AIDS
Jun 7, 2017 11:04 AM CDT
Man Charged With Murder After Girlfriend Dies of AIDS
Prosecutors say Ron Murdock knowingly infected her with HIV
- Kimberly Klempner, 51, died of AIDS on Feb. 5—and her former boyfriend of five years is charged with her murder. Ohio prosecutors allege Ron J. Murdock, 51, of Toledo "absolutely knew" he had HIV, did not tell Klempner that fact, and infected her with the virus via unprotected...
He Fought AIDS by Convincing
World It Was Security Threat
May 17, 2017 5:14 PM CDT
He Fought AIDS by Convincing World It Was Security Threat
No modern epidemic had ever been considered a security matter before
- No one person turned the tide in the fight against HIV/AIDS, but Richard Holbrooke—former US ambassador to the UN and president of the Security Council—was an instrumental part of saving millions of lives from the disease. In 2000, Holbrooke—having visited places like Cambodia and Namibia—was convinced...
Calif. Bill Would
Reduce Punishment for Not
Revealing HIV Status
Mar 18, 2017 8:08 AM CDT
Calif. Bill Would Reduce Punishment for Not Revealing HIV Status
Lawmakers want to change felony to misdemeanour
- Democratic lawmakers in California say they want to reduce the stigma surrounding HIV by changing the law. Under a bill championed by state Sen. Scott Weiner, it would no longer be a felony for a person with HIV to have unprotected sex without disclosing their status, the
Los Angeles Times
A 25-Year-Old's High-Profile
HIV Conviction Is Tossed
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 25, 2016 7:21 AM CST
A 25-Year-Old's High-Profile HIV Conviction Is Tossed
Appeals court find trial court did indeed 'abuse its discretion'
- With HIV no longer a death sentence, decades-old HIV laws and the heavy sentences they carry have become more contentious. A prime and much publicized example was that of Michael L. Johnson, now 25, a Lindenwood University wrestling star at the time of his 2013 arrest who is serving 30....
10 US Cities With
Biggest Spikes in HIV
Nov 30, 2016 11:51 AM CST
10 US Cities With Biggest Spikes in HIV
Baton Rouge tops the list
- In 2014, it's estimated that more than 44,000 people contracted HIV, NBC News reports. In advance of World AIDS Day on Wednesday, GetTested looked at CDC data for that year to determine the 10 cities with the highest rates of new HIV diagnoses. The top five:
Scientists Discover New
Weapon in Fight Against HIV
Nov 16, 2016 5:43 PM CST
Scientists Discover New Weapon in Fight Against HIV
The antibody could work against 98% of HIV isolates
- Scientists at the National Institutes of Health may have just discovered a powerful new tool in the fight against HIV. According to a press release , a newly identified antibody called N6 found in an HIV-infected person could successfully neutralize 98% of HIV isolates, including 16 of 20 HIV strains that...
Scientists Develop USB Stick
That Tests for HIV
Nov 10, 2016 4:58 PM CST
Scientists Develop USB Stick That Tests for HIV
It could help patients keep an eye on viral levels
- A revolutionary advance in the realm of HIV testing: Scientists in the UK have come up with a USB stick that can test a single drop of blood for HIV and have results in less than 30 minutes. As Gizmodo reports, such a test could be useful in remote regions...
Who Brought AIDS
to Our Shores,
Oct 27, 2016 4:33 AM CDT
'Patient Zero,' Who Brought AIDS to Our Shores, Actually Didn't
Canadian was just one of many early cases
- The French Canadian flight attendant dubbed "Patient Zero" in the AIDS epidemic in North America was no such thing, researchers say. In a study published in the journal
, researchers analyzed HIV genomes and determined that the virus came to the US from Haiti around 1971 and had already...
We're Losing Ground
in War on AIDS: UN
Aug 2, 2016 6:57 AM CDT
We're Losing Ground in War on AIDS: UN
Ending epidemic by 2030 now seen as unrealistic
- AIDS isn't a wounded enemy on the brink of defeat, it "is still one of the biggest killers in the world" and the target of ending the epidemic by 2030 now looks completely unrealistic, warns the chief of the United Nations program on HIV and AIDS. Former UNAIDS...
Charlie Sheen's New Gig: Condom Spokesman
Jun 14, 2016 10:44 AM CDT
Charlie Sheen's New Gig: Condom Spokesman
He's hawking a new product called the Lelo Hex
- Charlie Sheen's announcement of his HIV diagnosis led to a huge burst of HIV awareness —and, now, a new gig for Sheen as a condom spokesperson. London-based sex-toy maker Lelo has a new line of condoms, the Lelo Hex, and Sheen is the face of the brand,
3K Need HIV Tests
in Surgery Tech's
Jun 2, 2016 11:53 AM CDT
3K Need HIV Tests in Surgery Tech's Drug-Stealing Case
Rocky Allen, accused of swapping syringes at Colorado hospital, tested positive for virus
- Another bombshell Wednesday about an ex-surgical tech at a Colorado hospital who allegedly stole liquid painkillers by swapping syringes, per federal prosecutors: He has HIV, putting thousands of former patients at risk, the
reports. Rocky Allen, 28, accused of stealing fentanyl citrate in January from Swedish Medical Center...
His Dad Injected
Him With HIV
24 Years Ago.
in case you missed it
May 7, 2016 11:31 AM CDT
His Dad Injected Him With HIV 24 Years Ago. Here's How He's Doing
Brryan Stewart still sees life as an adventure
- Brryan Stewart was only 10 months old when his father injected him with HIV-positive blood—and now, burdened with health challenges at age 25, Stewart is not only surviving but seeing the positive. "Man, either I could be sitting around being so mad at the situation, or I can...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Howard Stern Selects His Presidential Running Mate
Kaitlin Armstrong Was Trying to Build New Life in Costa Rica
Allegations of Witness Tampering Gain Traction
In Clarence Thomas Opinion, Line About COVID Vaccine, Cells From 'Aborted Children'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.