Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In a First, Woman May Have
Been Cured of HIV
Feb 15, 2022 2:55 PM CST
In a First, Woman May Have Been Cured of HIV
The process was similar to those the men who went before her underwent
- Tuesday brought big news on the HIV front, this time involving a woman who scientists have possibly cured of the disease. NBC News reports she's the first woman in a group that now numbers at most four (two additional women may have been cured, but via their own immune...
She's Been Dubbed the
'Esperanza Patient,' Fittingly
Nov 16, 2021 9:03 AM CST
She's Been Dubbed the 'Esperanza Patient,' Fittingly
Woman's own immune system may have cured her of HIV
- She couldn't come from a more fitting place: A woman now dubbed the "Esperanza patient" after her hometown of Esperanza, Argentina, has become the second in the world to seemingly be cured of HIV by her own immune system; "esperanza" translates to hope. More on the discovery,...
J&J Shuts Down
HIV Vaccine Trial
Aug 31, 2021 2:39 PM CDT
J&J Shuts Down HIV Vaccine Trial
Study in five African countries found that it only provided 25% protection
- Scientists searching for an HIV vaccine have been disappointed yet again. Johnson & Johnson says it has shut down a vaccine trial in Africa that started in 2017 after finding that it only provided 25% protection, the
New York Times
reports. The trial involved young women at high risk of...
on the HIV Front
Jul 10, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Good News on the HIV Front
Those with virus who receive treatment have same life expectancy as those without: researchers
- Patients who tested positive for HIV used to fear a "certain death sentence," as there's no cure for the virus, per HealthDay News . New research puts those fears to rest, with scientists saying that those with HIV in the US can now expect a similar life expectancy...
Drug 'Truly an Advance'
Dec 1, 2020 12:50 PM CST
Strawberry-Flavored HIV Drug 'Truly an Advance'
HIV medication for babies will be much easier to swallow as a tablet
- Developing HIV medications for infants is difficult enough, but then somebody has to get them to swallow it. Many of the options have a bitter taste infants reject. Now, one such medication, dolutegravir, will be available in a strawberry-flavored tablet that will dissolve in juice or water, the
The First Person Cured
of HIV Is Dead at 54
Sep 30, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
The First Person Cured of HIV Is Dead at 54
Timothy Ray Brown was known as the 'Berlin patient'
- The first person cured of HIV—a feat Timothy Ray Brown managed more than a decade ago—has died from cancer. He was 54. The BBC reports Brown, known as the "Berlin patient," learned he had HIV in 1995 while living in the German city. In 2007 he...
May Have Rid Man of HIV
Jul 8, 2020 3:11 AM CDT
Experimental Treatment May Have Rid Man of HIV
He has shown no sign of the virus for more than a year after stopping HIV medications
- A Brazilian man infected with the AIDS virus has shown no sign of it for more than a year since he stopped HIV medicines after an intense experimental drug therapy aimed at purging hidden, dormant virus from his body, doctors reported Tuesday. The case needs independent verification and it’s...
'One of America's
May 27, 2020 1:09 PM CDT
'One of America's Most Valuable Troublemakers' Dies
AIDS activist, playwright Larry Kramer was 84
- In the 1980s, playwright and fiercely confrontational AIDS activist Larry Kramer slammed Dr. Anthony Fauci as a murderer and an "incompetent idiot" for failing to move fast enough on research. But the two later became friends, with Fauci crediting Kramer, who died Wednesday morning, with playing a key role...
Agency Calls Off
HIV Vaccine Trial
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 8, 2020 10:30 AM CST
Agency Calls Off HIV Vaccine Trial
Results from South Africa show vaccine wasn't effective
- "An HIV vaccine is essential to end the global pandemic, and we hoped this vaccine candidate would work," a US health agency said Monday. "Regrettably, it does not." With that, the clinical trial in South Africa was shut down, CNN reports; the vaccine was not found...
Governor Not OK With
State's Utah-Themed Condoms
Jan 16, 2020 9:20 AM CST
Governor Not OK With State's Utah-Themed Condoms
Gary Herbert cancels distribution of condoms in packaging with 'sexual innuendo'
- As part of its awareness-raising HIVandMe campaign , the state of Utah offers prevention and treatment resources, a clinic finder—and, to the governor's irritation, provocatively packaged prophylactics that have now been canceled. Per the
Salt Lake Tribune
, Gov. Gary Herbert has nixed the distribution of a stockpile of 100,...
This Was David Stern's
'Most Humane' Act
Jan 2, 2020 11:21 AM CST
This Was David Stern's 'Most Humane' Act
NBA commissioner embraced Magic Johnson after HIV diagnosis, 'figuratively and literally'
- The current NBA commissioner says his predecessor , David Stern, turned the basketball league into "a truly global brand." But the legacy that Stern, who died Wednesday at age 77, should be most hailed for is his support of Magic Johnson after the basketball great was diagnosed with HIV,...
Despite 10 Years
People Still Drink
Aug 14, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Despite 10 Years of Warnings, People Still Drink Dangerous 'Cure'
FDA: Taking sodium chlorite products like Miracle Mineral Solution is basically drinking bleach
- It's OK to believe in miracles, but drinking bleach for your ailments isn't going to lead to one. That's effectively what people are doing when they quaff a product known as Miracle Mineral Solution, and other products like it that promise a cure for autism, cancer, HIV,...
Results of Mice Study
Bring Big HIV News
Jul 3, 2019 11:58 AM CDT
Results of Mice Study Bring Big HIV News
Researchers eradicated HIV from the DNA of 9 infected mice
- Researchers tell CNBC they have for the first time shown "that the HIV disease is a curable disease" A study published Tuesday in
details how they got to such a statement: essentially by putting the brakes on HIV's spread in mice and then editing it out...
Blamed for Hundreds
of HIV Infections
May 27, 2019 2:26 AM CDT
Pakistan Doctor Blamed for Hundreds of HIV Infections
More than 500 children have tested positive in district
- More than 600 people, including at least 500 children between 2 months and 12 years old, have tested positive for HIV in a rural district in southern Pakistan—and authorities suspect a single doctor is to blame for most of the infections. Authorities say most of the infected children in...
He Thought He'd Die, So He
Began a Con. He Didn't Die
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 26, 2019 2:03 PM CDT
He Thought He'd Die, So He Began a Con. He Didn't Die
Mark Olmsted, who was HIV-positive, assumed identity of his dead brother Luke
- It seemed like it would be quite a way to go after getting diagnosed with a likely fatal illness: become a con man and live your remaining days out like a king. Except, as Nathaniel Penn notes in a fascinating profile for GQ : "What the hell happens if you...
A Big Donation Meant to Fight
HIV, With 'Mixed' Reaction
May 10, 2019 11:24 AM CDT
A Big Donation Meant to Fight HIV, With 'Mixed' Reaction
Gilead Sciences will donate Truvada, but critics say they should cut price for everyone instead
- On Thursday, President Trump tweeted the news: An announcement from Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar that Gilead Sciences, manufacturer of the only approved HIV-preventing drug, would donate enough Truvada to treat 200,000 patients each year through at least 2025, and possibly though 2030. Azar noted the...
After Bloody 'Vampire' Facial,
a Frightening Diagnosis
May 1, 2019 7:23 AM CDT
After Bloody 'Vampire' Facial, a Frightening Diagnosis
Health officials: 2 customers of NM day spa are HIV-positive after 'injection-related procedures'
- In September, a day spa in Albuquerque, NM, suddenly shuttered , along with an explainer from state health officials that they'd identified practices at the spa "that could potentially spread blood-borne infections." Now, the New Mexico Department of Health says two former customers of VIP Spa who received...
Report: HIV 'Cured'
in a Second Patient
Mar 5, 2019 6:26 AM CST
Report: HIV 'Cured' in a Second Patient
This proves a cure is reachable, experts say
- Researchers say it is too early to declare that a cure for HIV has been found—but with a second patient now free of the virus after a stem cell transplant, a cure appears to be in reach. Researchers say the man, identified only as the "London patient,"...
Aug 3, 2018 2:03 PM CDT
Feds: HIV-Positive Shelter Worker Sexually Abused Immigrant Kids
Southwest Key, largest operator of US immigrant youth shelters, also plagued with other allegations
- While the controversy surrounding immigrant children separated from their parents at the US border continues to swirl, the AP reports on troublesome news out of a shelter outside Phoenix. Per federal authorities, Levian Pacheco, who used to work for Southwest Key's Casa Kokopelli facility in Mesa, has pleaded not...
Man Wins Massive Sum After
Canceled HIV Test
Jun 20, 2018 3:52 PM CDT
Man Wins Massive Sum After Canceled HIV Test
A federal jury in Boston has awarded $18.4 million to Sean Stentiford
- A federal jury has awarded $18.4 million in damages to a man who said in a lawsuit that two doctors failed to test him for HIV, which allowed the virus to progress to AIDS. The
reports the jury ruled Monday in favor of 48-year-old Sean Stentiford...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
Woody Harrelson Movie Gets 8-Minute Ovation at Cannes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.