Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
'Captain Sir Tom' Loses
His Battle With COVID
Feb 2, 2021 11:00 AM CST
'Captain Sir Tom' Loses His Battle With COVID
100-year-old raised millions for health care workers in the UK
- First, he captivated the world at the age of 99 by raising money for health care workers fighting COVID. Then, Britain's Tom Moore contracted the virus himself at age 100. And on Tuesday, Moore's family announced that he has died, reports the AP . In April, the World War...
Capitol Officer Who Thwarted
Mob 'Was a Hero Long Before'
Jan 15, 2021 11:11 AM CST
Capitol Officer Who Thwarted Mob 'Was a Hero Long Before'
Bipartisan legislation in the works to award Congressional Gold Medal to Eugene Goodman
- Amid disturbing new revelations and a growing list of individuals under arrest in the wake of the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, there's been a more positive development. NBC News reports a bipartisan bill is now in play to award the Congressional Gold Medal , that body's highest civilian...
She Hung On 'for Dear Life'
to Try to Save Stolen Puppy
Jan 7, 2021 2:14 PM CST
She Hung On 'for Dear Life' to Try to Save Stolen Puppy
Alize James clung to hood of getaway car after couple swiped dog from Texas pet store
- Alize James loves "all types of animals," and she proved just how much on Nov. 4. That's when the worker at BullyKamp, a pet shop in Houston, says a man and woman entered the store and, after checking out different dog breeds, decided to buy a bully...
'I Didn't Want My
Sister to Die'
Dec 19, 2020 5:00 PM CST
7-Year-Old Hero: 'I Didn't Want My Sister to Die'
Eli Davidson says he was 'brave inside' as he entered the house
- Meet Eli Davidson, a 7-year-old boy who saved his sister this week from a house fire. "I was scared but I didn't want my sister to die," he tells WVLT . His mother, Nicole Davidson, says she woke up Tuesday night to find their house on fire in...
Her 10-Year-Old Was Pulled
Out to Sea. Kevin Saved the Day
Nov 2, 2020 11:53 AM CST
Her 10-Year-Old Was Pulled Out to Sea. Kevin Saved the Day
Texas mom raises nearly $25K for wedding of man who rescued her daughter from riptide in Calif.
- Kevin Cozzi was in the right place at the right time—and a Texas mom now wants to reward him for it. Per KXXV and KFSN , Samantha Whiting was at a beach in Monterey, Calif., on Aug. 15 with her children on their last day of vacation when she saw...
Oct 9, 2020 10:36 AM CDT
80-Year-Old Turns Into Life-Saving Hero. Again
It seems Steve Montelongo is a good person to have around
- Steve Montelongo says he was "in the right place at the right time" on Thursday when he saved the life of a man trapped in a partially submerged car. Though there was a crowd of at least 20 people already gathered around the irrigation canal in Modesto, Calif., when...
Cops: Driver Rams Into Man
Who Opened Fire on Bridge
May 28, 2020 7:16 AM CDT
Cops: Driver Rams Into Man Who Opened Fire on Bridge
Police say a potential mass shooting was averted on Centennial Bridge
- Police say an active-duty soldier "saved countless people" Wednesday when he thwarted a potential mass shooting on Centennial Bridge, which connects Kansas and Missouri. The 34-year-old soldier based at nearby Fort Leavenworth was in a vehicle on the bridge over the Missouri River around 11am when a man with...
Length of 6
to Save Dad, Sis
May 27, 2020 8:11 AM CDT
Teen Swims Length of 6 Football Fields to Save Dad, Sis
'I felt like it was the right thing to do,' Kiana French of Maine says after boat-flipping incident
- A 16-year-old Maine girl is being hailed as a hero for pulling off a major swim to save her dad and sister after their boat flipped in frigid waters. The
reports Kiana French was fishing Sunday on Parlin Pond in Somerset with her father, Gary, and her 14-year-old...
Cops: He Tried to Kidnap Kids.
A Teen Wrestler Was Watching
in case you missed it
Mar 29, 2020 7:11 AM CDT
Cops: He Tried to Kidnap Kids. A Teen Wrestler Was Watching
New Mexico's Canaan Bower, 16, credited with heroic body slam
- A man who allegedly tried to kidnap three children from a New Mexico convenience store was stopped when he came up against a champion high school wrestler. Canaan Bower, 16, was getting gas in Las Cruces on Wednesday morning when he noticed a commotion at a convenience store across the...
Sister From Fire,
Goes Back for Dog
Feb 15, 2020 8:00 AM CST
5-Year-Old Saves Sister From Fire, Goes Back for Dog
Georgia's Noah Woods is being hailed as a hero
- First Noah Woods saved his sister, pulling her out a window during a house fire last weekend in Georgia's Bartow County. Then he went back for the family dog. Have we mentioned Noah is 5 years old? Fire officials say the blaze in Noah's Kingston home started Sunday...
Hero of Walmart Shooting
Was Homeless: Cops
Jan 29, 2020 9:22 AM CST
Hero of Walmart Shooting Was Homeless: Cops
El Paso police finally identify transient day laborer Lazaro Ponce as man who rescued infant
- El Paso police say they've finally identified a hero of the mass shooting that killed 22 people at a Walmart on Aug. 3. Surveillance footage captured a man running out of the store carrying an infant whose parents had been fatally shot . A second video showed the man approaching...
Boy, 12, Saves Day
Dec 31, 2019 11:00 AM CST
Boy, 12, Saves Day When Brother Starts Stabbing Great-Grandparents
Sheriff is hailing Texas preteen as a 'real hero'
- An elderly couple were driving their 20-year-old great-grandson to a friend's house in Texas, where he was to stay until he got evaluated for what his great-grandma called "behavioral issues." As she told Lucian Johnston that on the car ride over Sunday, explaining he could no longer...
to Save Sick
Nov 22, 2019 9:01 AM CST
Doctors Improvise to Save Sick Plane Passenger
It involved a makeshift catheter made of straws
- It was 10 hours into a China Southern Airlines flight from Guangzhou to New York on Tuesday, and the crew suddenly had a problem: an elderly man who said he couldn't urinate, had a swollen stomach, and had broken into a cold sweat. Two doctors answered the call for...
He Saw the Speeding Car. He
Knew His SUV Could Stop It
in case you missed it
Nov 17, 2019 10:15 AM CST
He Saw the Speeding Car. He Knew His SUV Could Stop It
Erick Marciano hailed as a hero for saving pedestrians during police chase in Montreal
- A quick-thinking dad of three is being called a hero after throwing his Mercedes SUV in the path of a speeding car. The CBC and
report Erick Marciano, 48, was on his way to a meeting Tuesday shortly after noon when he saw a Honda speed through a...
Vacationing Man Dies
Trying to Save 3 Sons
Nov 1, 2019 9:31 AM CDT
Vacationing Man Dies Trying to Save 3 Sons
Kentucky's Stephone Ritchie got caught in a rip current in Cocoa Beach, Fla.
- "We thought we hit the jackpot." That's how one member of Stephone Ritchie Sr.'s family felt as they made the drive from the Orlando area to Cocoa Beach during their Florida vacation last week. But, as WDRB notes of that Oct. 24 daytrip, their fun...
She Spent Night in Submerged
Car Before Help Arrived
Oct 25, 2019 10:14 AM CDT
She Spent Night in Submerged Car Before Help Arrived
Witnesses rescue elderly woman from vehicle in Florida
- An elderly woman was trapped overnight in her car, submerged in a bay in Venice, Fla., before two rescuers arrived by chance. Rob Goodman tells CNN he was kayaking at Higel Marine Park just before sunrise Thursday when he saw the top of a white vehicle in the water. Then,...
4-Year-Old Saves Toddler
Sister: 'I Grabbed Her Tummy'
Oct 18, 2019 9:35 AM CDT
4-Year-Old Saves Toddler Sister: 'I Grabbed Her Tummy'
Gray Forrester was in the right place at the right time when 2-year-old Andie fell in the pool
- Gray Forrester is just barely school age, but the 5-year-old has already earned the label of hero. WBIR reports that Gray was just 4 during an incident in their Knoxville, Tenn., yard that led to his 2-year-old sister, Andie, almost drowning. Their mom, Laura, said on the day in question...
Cheerleader Jumps Off Float,
Saves Choking Toddler
Oct 4, 2019 1:25 PM CDT
Cheerleader Jumps Off Float, Saves Choking Toddler
2-year-old Clarke's face was 'super red,' then purple, teen hero Tyra Winters says
- One minute Tyra Winters was celebrating homecoming at Rockwall High School. The next thing thing the Texas teen knew, she was being called a hero. Tyra, 17, was riding on a parade float Sept. 18 with her fellow cheerleaders and the school football team when she heard people saying that...
Keys Melted to
His Burned Body, He
Thought Only of Her
Sep 26, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Keys Melted to His Burned Body, He Thought Only of Her
Don Osteen credited with saving granddaughter in house explosion
- Don Osteen's granddaughter was the apple of his eye. It's no surprise, then, that family members say the Oklahoma veteran's last act was meant to save her. The 69-year-old Purple Heart recipient was having lunch with 3-year-old Paetyn when an explosion leveled his Seminole County home on...
Fearing Dayton Shooter Would
Kill Him, He Shielded Another
Aug 8, 2019 11:36 AM CDT
Fearing Dayton Shooter Would Kill Him, He Shielded Another
Meet 'the best boyfriend in the world,' Camryn Crowder of Ohio
- On the first night out with his partner since the birth of their 3-week-old daughter, Camryn Crowder suddenly saw a "guy pointing a gun." That's when he dropped to the ground Sunday in Dayton, Ohio—but not before pushing his girlfriend to the ground first so he...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
2 Hours After Parade Killings, Candidate Says, 'Let's Move On'
This Might Be the Biggest Data Breach in History
For US Savings Accounts, Another Shift Is Unfolding
He Was Hesitant About Going to Parade, Ended Up Dead
Also Not in Constitution: Court Having Final Say
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.