Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
by 4-Legged Hero
May 11, 2022 12:03 PM CDT
Woman With Dementia Saved by 4-Legged Hero
Sherry Noppe's dog, who never left her side after she got lost in woods, barked till they were found
- Texas' Sherry Noppe, recently diagnosed with dementia, disappeared after taking her dog for a walk on May 3 in the Houston suburb of Katy. Thankfully, the 63-year-old was reunited with family just in time for Mother's Day after said black Labrador "saved her life," daughter Courtney Noppe...
Just Shy of 2, Texas Boy
Saves Family From Fire
Jan 28, 2022 11:57 AM CST
Just Shy of 2, Texas Boy Saves Family From Fire
Parents, recovering from COVID, couldn't smell smoke
- Before even reaching his second birthday, a Texas toddler is a hero after using the few words he knew to save his parents from a fire, the
reports. Kayla and Nathan Dahl, who are recovering from COVID-19, say they were sound asleep when their son Brandon woke them...
Blind Hero of
the Oklahoma City
Jan 26, 2022 7:54 AM CST
Blind Hero of the Oklahoma City Bombing Dies
Raymond Washburn, who led 5 to safety, died Jan. 16 at age 75
- Raymond Washburn, a blind man who was credited with helping rescue five people from the rubble of the Alfred P. Murrah federal building following the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, has died, per the AP . He was 75. Washburn died on Jan. 16 at his home in Oklahoma City, and funeral...
Dies at Age 8
Jan 11, 2022 11:00 AM CST
Retired 'HeroRAT' Dies at Age 8
Magawa sniffed out land mines in Cambodia until punching his last time card last year
"A hero is laid to rest." So read the announcement Tuesday on the death of Magawa, the rat that became a legend in Cambodia for his award-winning work in sniffing out land mines. Belgian charity Apopo notes in its release that Magawa, 8, had seemed in generally...
Saves 3 Kids From Icy Horror
Jan 11, 2022 8:07 AM CST
Eagle-Eyed Neighbor Saves 3 Kids From Icy Horror
Dusti Talavera, 23, happened to see children fall through ice on pond in Denver
- A classic winter scene of kids playing on an icy pond turned frightening in Denver over the weekend, but thanks to an observant neighbor, a major tragedy was averted. KDVR reports that four children, reportedly related, were playing on said pond near an apartment complex when the ice gave way...
Woman Says Stranger
Saved Young Daughter
in Bronx Blaze
Jan 10, 2022 3:09 PM CST
Woman Says Stranger Saved Young Daughter in Bronx Blaze
Official revise death toll to 17
- The death toll was lowered from 19 to 17 Monday in New York City's deadliest fire in more than 30 years—but with some survivors fighting for their lives in city hospitals, officials warn that the toll could rise again. Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said Monday that the toll...
Jan 2, 2022 3:10 PM CST
Seattle Kraken Fan Called a Hero
Future med student spotted malignant mole on Canucks staffer's neck
- When Nadia Popovici showed the Vancouver Canucks’ equipment manager a message on her phone last October, he barely acknowledged it. But the message changed his life. The hockey fan was sitting behind the bench and happened to notice a scary mole on the back of Brian “Red” Hamilton’s...
11-Year-Old Saves 2 Lives
in One Day, Credits YouTube
Dec 23, 2021 10:04 AM CST
11-Year-Old Saves 2 Lives in One Day, Credits YouTube
Davyon Johnson helped choking classmate, then saved elderly woman from house fire
- "Not all heroes wear capes" is the astute observation by
on the latest story out of Oklahoma. That's where 11-year-old Davyon Johnson is receiving praise for saving not one, but two people in one day earlier this month. CNN reports that Davyon's busy day of heroism...
Nanny Hit by
Baby With a Push
Dec 22, 2021 9:45 AM CST
Nanny Hit by Truck Saved Baby With a Push
Arcellie Muschamp of Brooklyn in critical condition after brain surgery
- A nanny shoved a stroller carrying a 1-year-old out of the path of a pickup truck in New York City on Monday before the vehicle slammed into her instead. "The stroller came to a stop on its side against a row of parked cars," feet from 52-year-old mother...
'Hero' Hotel Clerk Saves
Rape Victim, After a Nod
Nov 23, 2021 8:03 AM CST
'Hero' Hotel Clerk Saves Rape Victim, After a Nod
Cincinnati suspect Onjre Damon George then failed to jump out a window: cops
- A man accused of kidnapping and raping a woman tried to jump out a sixth-floor hotel room window while being questioned by Ohio police—only to bounce back. Police responded to a hotel in the Cincinnati suburb of Blue Ash on Sunday after a front desk attendant requested a welfare...
Florida 9-Year-Old Commended
for Fighting Off Mom's Attacker
Nov 21, 2021 3:50 PM CST
Florida 9-Year-Old Commended for Fighting Off Mom's Attacker
Young hero wants to be a teacher when she grows up
- A man approached Journee Nelson’s mom and tried to take her purse. Journee was having none of that. Surveillance video from a nearby business shows a man push Danielle Mobley, Journee’s mom, to the ground. Journee can be seen springing into action, punching the attacker in the head,...
Stories High in
the Air, Then
He Let Go
Nov 4, 2021 7:40 AM CDT
They Dangled Stories High in the Air, Then He Let Go
Worker is said to have sacrificed himself to save rider at Calif. zip line attraction
- The final action of a staffer at a California zip line attraction was a fatal one, but it also appears to have been heroic. FOX 5 reports that 34-year-old Joaquin Romero was working at the La Jolla Zip Zoom Zipline, located on the La Jolla Indian Reservation in Pauma Valley,...
His Last Act: Saving
2 Kids From Drowning
Aug 25, 2021 8:22 AM CDT
His Last Act: Saving 2 Kids From Drowning
Missouri's Thomas J. Walker failed to emerge from Lake Michigan on Sunday
- A Missouri man jumped into Lake Michigan to save two children from drowning, but was unable to save himself. Thomas J. Walker, 40, died Sunday after rescuing the two boys, who were his relatives, at the lakefront in Racine, Wisc., per CNN and TMJ4 . He'd entered the water near...
Would-Be Hero Missing After
Father and Son Drown
Jun 13, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Would-Be Hero Missing After Father and Son Drown
Police in Florida are in search of a good Samaritan
- Authorities in Florida are in search of a man being called the Apollo Beach Hero after he selflessly tried to save a father and son caught in a riptide on Friday. Per Bay News 9 , the adult victim and his toddler son were swimming at the Tampa Bay beach when...
Hero Emerges as San Jose
Shooting Claims Another Life
May 27, 2021 8:25 AM CDT
Hero Emerges as San Jose Shooting Claims Another Life
9th victim died in the hospital Wednesday evening
- Wednesday's mass shooting in San Jose, Calif.—the 232nd in the US this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive —has claimed another life. Alex Ward Fritch, 49, who was initially taken to Santa Clara Valley Medical Center in critical condition, died Wednesday evening, bringing the total...
$32K Raised To Help Kid
Who Saved Siblings From Dog
May 22, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
$32K Raised To Help Kid Who Saved Siblings From Dog
Deacon Ashmore, 12, was bitten when he jumped in front of the other kids
- Hundreds of people have donated money totaling more than $32,000 to help a young hero. Deacon Ashmore, a 12-year-old sixth grader was badly bitten by a dog in front of his family’s Detroit home Monday. Deacon and his younger siblings were playing outside when two dogs, probably stray...
He Saw a Boy
Crash His ATV on
TikTok. He Was
800 Miles Away
Apr 8, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
He Saw a Boy Crash His ATV on TikTok. He Was 800 Miles Away
NH teen Caden Cotnoir helped 12-year-old Trent Jarrett's parents find the trapped boy in W. Va.
- Many parents may wish their kids didn't spend so much time on social media, but one West Virginia family is grateful for the TikTok penchant of a teen 800 miles away. On Sunday, 13-year-old Caden Cotnoir of Gilmanton, NH, was watching a livestream of Trent Jarrett, a 12-year-old Caden...
NFLer Was Walking in a Public
Park. Then, Screams for Help
in case you missed it
Mar 28, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
NFLer Was Walking in a Public Park. Then, Screams for Help
Patriots lineman Justin Herron, bystander helped stop attempted sexual assault on elderly woman
- Police are calling NFL player Justin Herron a hero after he intervened to save an elderly woman from an attempted sexual assault. The 25-year-old, who just wrapped up his rookie season with the New England Patriots, was walking in a public park in Tempe, Ariz., on Saturday when he heard...
'Captain Sir Tom' Loses
His Battle With COVID
Feb 2, 2021 11:00 AM CST
'Captain Sir Tom' Loses His Battle With COVID
100-year-old raised millions for health care workers in the UK
- First, he captivated the world at the age of 99 by raising money for health care workers fighting COVID. Then, Britain's Tom Moore contracted the virus himself at age 100. And on Tuesday, Moore's family announced that he has died, reports the AP . In April, the World War...
Capitol Officer Who Thwarted
Mob 'Was a Hero Long Before'
Jan 15, 2021 11:11 AM CST
Capitol Officer Who Thwarted Mob 'Was a Hero Long Before'
Bipartisan legislation in the works to award Congressional Gold Medal to Eugene Goodman
- Amid disturbing new revelations and a growing list of individuals under arrest in the wake of the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, there's been a more positive development. NBC News reports a bipartisan bill is now in play to award the Congressional Gold Medal , that body's highest civilian...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
Woody Harrelson Movie Gets 8-Minute Ovation at Cannes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.