Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Climber, Sherpa
Dead After Himalayan
Oct 9, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
US Climber, Sherpa Dead After Himalayan Avalanches
2 more are missing, including sherpa who recently set record
- American mountaineer Anna Gutu and a Nepalese guide, Mingmar Sherpa, were confirmed dead Sunday after avalanches struck the slopes of a Tibetan mountain, while two others remained missing, according to Chinese media reports. The avalanches struck Tibet's Mount Shishapangma on Saturday afternoon at about 25,000 feet and about...
of Climbing Over Dying
Man: We Couldn't Save Him
Aug 14, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Mountaineer Accused of Climbing Over Dying Man: We Couldn't Save Him
'We couldn't have done anything more,' an emotional Kristin Harila insists
- A record-setting Norwegian mountaineer pushed back Sunday against claims that she could have done more to save the life of a Pakistani porter who slipped off a narrow trail near the peak of the world's most treacherous mountain and died there after several hours. The circumstances of Mohammad Hassan'...
Climber Accused of
Stepping Over Dying Man
on Way to Record
in case you missed it
Aug 13, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Climber Accused of Stepping Over Dying Man on Way to Record
But she pushes back on criticism over incident near K2 summit
- The Norwegian mountain climber who just set a record by climbing the 14 highest peaks in the world in just 92 days is under scrutiny after footage emerged that appears to show her team members climbing over a dying sherpa as they ascend toward the summit of K2. The climber,...
She Tried the Big 14 Last
Year and Failed. Now, Success
Jul 28, 2023 7:28 AM CDT
She Tried the Big 14 Last Year and Failed. Now, Success
Kristin Harila, Tenjen Sherpa summit at K2, scale world's highest mountains in record 92 days
- A Norwegian woman mountain climber and her Nepali Sherpa guide have set a new record by scaling the world's 14 highest peaks in 92 days, a Pakistani mountaineering official said. On Thursday, Kristin Harila and Tenjen Sherpa summited K2 on the Chinese-Pakistani border in the Karakorum Range—considered to...
This Sherpa Has Done
the Exceptional on Everest
May 24, 2023 1:45 PM CDT
This Sherpa Has Done the Exceptional on Everest
Kami Rita reached the summit a record 28th time
- Veteran Sherpa guide Kami Rita scaled Mount Everest for the 28th time Tuesday, beating his own record less than a week after setting it, as two guides compete with each other for the title of most climbs of the world's highest peak. Kami Rita, considered one of the greatest...
Sherpa Guide Ascends Everest
for 26th Time, Tying Record
May 15, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Sherpa Guide Ascends Everest for 26th Time, Tying Record
Pasang Dawa Sherpa first climbed peak in 1998
- A Sherpa guide on Sunday matched the record for most ascents of Mount Everest when he finished climbing the world's tallest mountain for the 26th time. Pasang Dawa Sherpa summited with a Hungarian climber, NPR reports. The 46-year-old made his first successful ascent in 1998 and has climbed Everest...
Climbers Buried Under
Falling Ice Masses on Everest
Apr 13, 2023 10:53 AM CDT
Climbers Buried Under Falling Ice Masses on Everest
The 3 Sherpas were part of the team prepping the route from Camp 2 to the summit
- In the first accident of the climbing season on Mount Everest, three Sherpa climbers were missing and presumed dead Wednesday after they were buried under snow and ice just above base camp. While the AP initially reported they fell into a deep crevasse on Wednesday morning as they were moving...
Hilaree Nelson Given
a Sherpa Cremation
Oct 3, 2022 11:23 AM CDT
Hilaree Nelson Given a Sherpa Cremation
The ski mountaineer died in a Sept. 26 fall
- Hilaree Nelson died on Sept. 26 after falling thousands of feet when a small avalanche struck as she skied down the 26,781-foot Manaslu in Nepal. On Sunday, she received a traditional funeral at a Sherpa cremation ground in that country. The AP reports family, friends, mountaineers, and government officials...
Sherpa Guide Nonchalantly
Breaks Everest Record
May 8, 2022 10:02 AM CDT
Sherpa Guide Nonchalantly Breaks Everest Record
Kami Rita scales mountain for 26th time while setting ropes for foreign climbers
- An experienced Nepalese Sherpa guide has scaled Mount Everest for the 26th time, breaking his own record for the most climbs of the world's highest peak. Kami Rita reached the 29,032-foot summit on Saturday evening, leading a group of Sherpa climbers who fixed ropes along the route so...
They've Climbed the
14 Highest Peaks. Now,
a 'Grand Slam' Quest
Dec 13, 2021 8:33 AM CST
They've Climbed the 14 Highest Peaks. Now, a 'Grand Slam' Quest
Nepalese Sherpa brothers set out to climb highest peaks on all 7 continents
- Two brothers who are among Nepal's most famous Sherpa guides set out on Monday to scale the highest peaks on each of the world's seven continents, in a sweeping global trek that will take them across both the North and South poles. Mingma Sherpa and Chhang Dawa Sherpa...
In 2019, Sherpa Broke Everest
Record. Now, Yet Again
May 8, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
In 2019, Sherpa Broke Everest Record. Now, Yet Again
Kami Rita Sherpa has climbed world's tallest mountain 25 times
- For the past 27 years, Kami Rita Sherpa has been ascending and descending Mount Everest, part of expedition teams bent on conquering the mountain. In 2019, the Nepalese man set a world record for the most summits of the world's tallest mountain, making it to the top and back...
Hi, I Just Climbed
in One Week!
May 21, 2019 7:47 AM CDT
Hi, I Just Climbed Everest Twice in One Week!
Kami Rita Sherpa, 49, breaks own world record, ascends mountain for 24th time
- Dear everyone who's ever climbed Mount Everest: Big deal. That may be exactly what Kami Rita Sherpa is thinking after extending his latest record on the mega-mountain, reaching the peak for the 24th time on Tuesday, per the BBC . Not only that, but the 49-year-old had just ascended Everest...
Their Husbands Died on
Everest. Now They'll
Climb It Themselves
Dec 26, 2018 2:00 PM CST
Their Husbands Died on Everest. Now They'll Climb It Themselves
Furdiki Sherpa and Nima Doma Sherpa want to honor their late spouses, inspire others
- Their husbands were Sherpas who died trying to ascend Mount Everest. Now, Furdiki Sherpa and Nima Doma Sherpa have announced they're about to make their own climb up the treacherous mountain, both to inspire other single women and to help with their own healing, per Reuters . "We are...
Fulfilling Everest Dream Could
Get 2 Climbers a 10-Year Ban
May 14, 2018 8:44 AM CDT
Fulfilling Everest Dream Could Get 2 Climbers a 10-Year Ban
Willie Benegas, Matt Moniz skied Lhotse Face without ski permit, which may get them kicked off
- More than 100 Sherpas are rallying behind two mountain climbers who face being banned from Mount Everest for the next decade due to an obscure mountaineering rule they apparently broke. Per
, it started with a May 5 Facebook post by Willie Benegas, 49, of Argentina, in which he announced...
3 Corpses Taken Off Everest,
and Not Without Controversy
May 31, 2017 7:27 AM CDT
3 Corpses Taken Off Everest, and Not Without Controversy
8 Sherpas recovered Indian climbers' bodies, at great risk
- The Indian man wept as a helicopter landed in Nepal's capital carrying the body of his brother, one of hundreds of climbers who have died while attempting to scale Mount Everest. The body had been left on the mountain for a year until last week, when a team of...
in case you missed it
May 15, 2016 2:01 PM CDT
7-Eleven Clerk Might Be Everest's Best Female Climber
Lhakpa Sherpa is going for her seventh summit
- She ought to be a household name, at least in the world of mountaineering. But even though Lhakpa Sherpa has reached the summit of Everest six times, more than any woman in the world, she remains a relative unknown. In fact, as a profile in
magazine reveals, the 40-ish...
Nepal Won't Close Everest; Sherpas, Firms Won't Go Up
May 4, 2015 8:44 AM CDT
Nepal Won't Close Everest; Sherpas, Firms Won't Go Up
Country desperate to keep its main tourism stream flowing
- Just a week or so after Nepal's deadly avalanche and earthquake that killed at least 7,250 people , a debate is growing between those who want the mountain to remain open for climbers and those who think it's not worth the risk. A Nepal government spokesman, cognizant of...
How Nepal's Quake
May 1, 2015 9:28 AM CDT
How Nepal's Quake Hurts Sherpas
Everest guides will lose chunk of wages
- Yet another casualty of Nepal's disastrous earthquake: lost wages for Sherpas. The locals who help hundreds scale Mount Everest each year will lose out on some of the $5,000 to $7,000 plus tips they typically earn from March to June since "Everest is basically closed,"...
a New Route Up
Feb 18, 2015 11:40 AM CST
After Disaster, a New Route Up Mount Everest
Avoiding danger spot means longer climb, experts say
- Last year saw the history's deadliest Mount Everest accident , and Nepal is taking steps to make sure it never happens again. At the center of the trouble is the Khumbu Icefall, a frequently moving glacier that climber Jon Krakauer compared to "a round of Russian roulette" for climbers,...
2 Women Charter
May 13, 2014 1:17 PM CDT
2 Women Charter Helicopter to 'Climb' Everest
Had it drop them above danger zone; sherpas upset
- Climbers are back on Mount Everest for the first time since a deadly avalanche killed 16 less than a month ago, but they're not exactly making the whole trek: In a bid to avoid the Khumbu Icefall where the avalanche occurred, the two climbers—one an American woman hiking...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.