Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Tech CEO, Everest Guide
Settle Summit Dispute
Jan 2, 2022 3:53 PM CST
Tech CEO, Everest Guide Settle Summit Dispute
Guide called off climb after spotting massive ice block
- A lawsuit filed against a veteran mountaineering guide last year after a failed attempt to summit Mount Everest in September 2019 has been settled. The guide, Garrett Madison, called off the climb when a serac—a massive block of glacial ice—was spotted hanging over the route to the top,...
of Everest Has
May 31, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Blind Conqueror of Everest Has Bigger Plans
China's Zhang Hong is going for the 'grand slam' of climbing
- A Chinese climber who became the first blind Asian to scale Mount Everest says he aims to climb the highest peaks on all seven continents and then travel to the North and South Poles, per the AP . Zhang Hong, 44, is also the third blind climber internationally to reach the...
On Mount Everest,
a World Record Twofer
May 29, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
On Mount Everest, a World Record Twofer
75-year-old becomes oldest American to climb peak; HK climber nabs fastest ascent by woman
- Two new climbers made the Mount Everest record books over the past week, including a man who now holds the title of oldest American ever to ascend the 29,032-foot peak. Per Reuters and the
, 75-year-old Arthur Muir is that man, completing his ascent on Sunday and taking...
US, Swiss Climbers
Die on Everest
May 13, 2021 4:17 AM CDT
US, Swiss Climbers Die on Everest
They are first to die on mountain since 2019
- Two foreign climbers have become the first to die on Mount Everest since 2019. Expedition organizers say Puwel Lui, a 55-year-old American national, reached the Hillary Step outcrop below the summit but had to turn back due to snow blindness and exhaustion, AFP reports. He was helped back to Camp...
China to Draw
Line on Everest
May 10, 2021 7:30 PM CDT
China to Draw Line on Everest
Government wants its climbers to keep their distance from Nepal's during outbreak
- COVID-19 restrictions have reached the top of the world. After an increase in coronavirus cases on Mount Everest, China plans a "line of separation" at the summit to keep climbers from its side from coming into close contact with climbers from Nepal, the BBC reports. Everest is on the...
In 2019, Sherpa Broke Everest
Record. Now, Yet Again
May 8, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
In 2019, Sherpa Broke Everest Record. Now, Yet Again
Kami Rita Sherpa has climbed world's tallest mountain 25 times
- For the past 27 years, Kami Rita Sherpa has been ascending and descending Mount Everest, part of expedition teams bent on conquering the mountain. In 2019, the Nepalese man set a world record for the most summits of the world's tallest mountain, making it to the top and back...
At Everest Base Camp,
May 5, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
At Everest Base Camp, 'Coughing Everywhere'
Some think Nepal is hiding real numbers of coronavirus cases to keep mountain open
- This is the peak time of year to climb Mount Everest, before monsoon season hits. But the
notes 2021's climbing season may now be up in the air, as a COVID outbreak at the base camp in Nepal has led to "many" infections in a country already...
Everest Climber Tests Positive
Apr 23, 2021 4:51 AM CDT
Everest Climber Tests Positive
Mountain guide says mass COVID-19 testing is urgently needed
- The coronavirus has conquered the world's highest mountain. A Norwegian climber became the first to be tested for COVID-19 in Mount Everest base camp and was flown by helicopter to Kathmandu, where he was hospitalized. Erlend Ness tells the AP that he tested positive on April 15. He says...
They Said They
Their Photo Said Otherwise
in case you missed it
Feb 6, 2021 7:00 AM CST
They Said They Summited Everest. Their Photo Said Otherwise
Shadows were one issue
- Two Indian climbers who claimed to have summited Mount Everest, making them eligible for national awards, actually faked the ascent. That's according to authorities in Nepal, who began investigating after questions were raised about the pair's 2016 summit photo. At first glance, Narender Singh Yadav and Seema Rani...
Everest's New Height Was
Guarded Like 'a Military Secret'
Dec 8, 2020 7:27 AM CST
Everest's New Height Was Guarded Like 'a Military Secret'
Nepal, China come to agreement that world's highest mountain is 29,032 feet
- If you're keeping tabs on how tall Mount Everest is, make sure to refresh the page you had open from the last time you checked. Due to tectonic pressure, weathering, and earthquakes (especially a major 2015 temblor), among other factors, the world's highest mountain is constantly experiencing a...
He Climbed Everest to Try
to Solve Its Biggest Mystery
in case you missed it
Jul 11, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
He Climbed Everest to Try to Solve Its Biggest Mystery
Mark Synnott goes in search of Sandy Irvine's remains
- Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay were the first to summit Everest. Unless they weren't. In a lengthy piece for
, longtime climber and professional guide Mark Synnott explains what took him to Everest, a mountain he had long had no interest in climbing, "turned off by stories...
Hasn't Done on
Everest in 60 Years
May 27, 2020 11:50 AM CDT
China Does Something It Hasn't Done on Everest in 60 Years
It's the only team to scale it, but the goal wasn't glory
- A single team of climbers has thus far managed to summit Everest amid the coronavirus pandemic—but they weren't doing it for the glory of the feat. The BBC reports the team was made up of Chinese surveyors tasked with measuring the peak using the country's BeiDou navigation...
Mar 13, 2020 6:16 AM CDT
Outbreak Closes Mount Everest
Nepal cancels climbing permits 'as a precaution'
- Even Mount Everest is shutting down. Amid the novel coronavirus pandemic, Nepal's government on Friday said all climbing permits covering the period running from Saturday through April 30 would be canceled; China canceled expeditions launched from the northern side of the mountain on Thursday, reports the BBC . "Climbing...
'Oh, Jesus—What Are
They Doing' on Everest?
Dec 4, 2019 11:20 AM CST
'Oh, Jesus—What Are They Doing' on Everest?
Inside the perilous ascents and descents over 2 days in May
- "Oh, Jesus—what are they doing here?" It's a thought that repeated itself in Reinhard Grubhofer's mind as he summited Everest on May 23 and kept encountering climbers not physically and mentally up for the challenge. He was part of the horde who attempted to make it...
The Ultimate Climbing Record
Has Just Been Smashed
Oct 29, 2019 2:34 PM CDT
The Ultimate Climbing Record Has Just Been Smashed
Nirmal Purja summited the planet's 14 tallest peaks in 189 days
- Nirmal Purja on Tuesday described the last six months as "grueling." That's likely an understatement. The 36-year-old Nepalese man has obliterated the world record for summiting the 14 peaks on the planet that measure at least 8,000 meters, or roughly 26,350 feet. The record had...
Met an 'Unreal' Fate
Sep 23, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
He Conquered Peaks Worldwide, Met an 'Unreal' Fate
Davo Karnicar, first to fully ski down Mount Everest nonstop, is killed in tree-cutting mishap
- In 1995, Davo Karnicar became the first person to successfully ski down Nepal's Annapurna from the top, the lead-in to a more high-profile descent he'd complete five years later: He became the first person to ski nonstop from the summit of Mount Everest to base camp. He went...
Edmund Hillary's Son:
Dad Would Be Appalled
Jun 2, 2019 9:07 AM CDT
Edmund Hillary's Son: Dad Would Be Appalled
First man to scale Everest would be 'quite sad' at the crowding on the mountain this year
- Wednesday marked the 66th anniversary of the day Sir Edmund Hillary became the first man to stand atop Mount Everest, and Hillary's son says that the overcrowding and death seen this year on the mountain would leave his dad "horrified at the whole thing" and "quite sad....
A Celeb Reaches
Everest Base Camp
May 29, 2019 8:23 AM CDT
A Celeb Reaches Everest Base Camp
Mandy Moore says that trek required 'spiritual growth'
- Mandy Moore scratched an item off her bucket list as she reached Everest base camp this week. The
This Is Us
actress wasn't part of a problematic traffic jam some 12,000 feet above base camp, which sits 17,600 feet above sea level, though she did honor those...
Another American Dies
on Crowded Everest
May 27, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Another American Dies on Crowded Everest
Climbers talk about the grim reality of stepping over bodies
- Eleven climbers have died this climbing season on Mount Everest, and if the accounts of those returning from the summit are any guide, that number will likely grow. The most recent death is that of a 62-year-old American named Christopher Kulish, who died Monday while descending from the summit, reports...
4 More Climbers Die
on Clogged Everest
May 24, 2019 6:45 AM CDT
4 More Climbers Die on Clogged Everest
One man who died was reportedly stuck in the traffic for more than 12 hours
- The "death zone" near the summit of Mount Everest is living up to its name. At least seven climbers have died on the mountain this week, most of them after spending time caught in a lethal single-file traffic jam of climbers on the way to and back from the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
A Game for the Ages Sparks Call for Rule Change
Palin Tests Positive for COVID, NYT Trial Delayed
A.I. Has Changed Poker, and Maybe Killed Its 'Soul'
After Another Attack, a New Subway Warning
Female Tourist Detained After Giving Nazi Salute at Auschwitz
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.