Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Model Has a Complaint
About Body-Positivity Poster
Jul 29, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Model Has a Complaint About Body-Positivity Poster
Nyome Nicholas-Williams says photo of her was taken from Instagram without permission
Add one more gripe to the list of complaints that have been issued (see below) about a Spanish campaign that pushes body positivity. The image shared Wednesday by Spain's equality ministry shows women of various ages and body types at the beach, and one of those women says...
Halsey Pushes Back at
Body Jabs: 'LET ME LIVE!'
May 20, 2022 11:39 AM CDT
Halsey Pushes Back at Body Jabs: 'LET ME LIVE!'
Singer is sick (for real, with multiple conditions) and tired of her appearance being criticized
- Recent remarks about Halsey's appearance spurred the singer this week to push back, and now the comments are soundly in Halsey's corner.
notes that the 27-year-old (real name: Ashley Nicolette Frangipane, who prefers they/them pronouns) has been open of late about their diagnoses with "a slew...
Jonah Hill on Fans' Body
Praise: 'It's Not Helpful'
Oct 14, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Jonah Hill on Fans' Body Praise: 'It's Not Helpful'
In Instagram post, actor asks that people not comment on how he looks, 'good or bad'
- Jonah Hill has a simple request: Don't talk about his body. The actor, who spoke out earlier this year about childhood insecurities "exacerbated by years of public mockery about my body by press and interviewers," took to Instagram on Wednesday to ask that fans refrain from commenting...
Why Kate Winslet
Sex Scene Edit
Jun 2, 2021 11:48 AM CDT
Why Kate Winslet Objected to Sex Scene Edit
She's a middle-aged actor playing a middle-aged woman, for one thing
- Kate Winslet plays Pennsylvania detective Mare Sheehan in HBO's
Mare of Easttown
, whose jaw-dropping finale aired Sunday. It's a role in which "there are clearly no filters," the actor tells the
New York Times
. It's "why people have connected with this character." It'...
Lena Dunham's New Plus-Size
Line Slammed for Cost, Sizes
Apr 9, 2021 1:21 PM CDT
Lena Dunham's New Plus-Size Line Slammed for Cost, Sizes
Critics say not enough larger sizes are actually offered, and that pieces are too expensive
- Lena Dunham has a new clothing line out, but like much other news involving Lena Dunham, it's a project not without controversy. Per
, the collaboration between the 34-year-old
star and fashion retailer 11 Honore offers various apparel for women sizes 12 through 26, a line Dunham says...
To Make a Point,
Eilish Sheds the
Mar 10, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
To Make a Point, Eilish Sheds the Baggy Clothes
Singer critiques commentary on her body in world tour kickoff
- Billie Eilish chose the kickoff of her world tour to address comments about her famously oversize clothes, and the body underneath. The singer, who turned 18 in December, has previously found issue with comments praising her clothes as a statement about the sexualization of women. Indeed, she's said such...
Celeb Chef to
US Media: I Have
a Round Tummy,
Deal With It
Dec 17, 2018 9:25 AM CST
Celeb Chef to US Media: I Have a Round Tummy, Deal With It
Nigella Lawson is fully on board the 'stop Photoshopping celebrities' bandwagon
- Everyone wants to look their best when their photo is taken or they're seen on TV, but not everyone is thrilled "to be airbrushed thinner." At least not British celebrity chef Nigella Lawson, who Sky News reports has taken issue with anyone trying to Photoshop how she...
Women Enjoy an Immediate
Jun 16, 2017 6:21 AM CDT
Women Enjoy an Immediate Post-Workout Boost
Study finds they feel stronger, more empowered
- There appears to be a benefit to exercise for women that researchers are just now exploring more deeply—and it has more to do with what happens in their brains than in their muscles. Researchers at the University of British Columbia report in the journal
Psychology of Sport and Exercise
Dove's New Bottles Have
a Message, and Some Hate It
May 9, 2017 2:03 PM CDT
Dove's New Bottles Have a Message, and Some Hate It
They're designed to mimic the shape of women
- Dove's latest ad idea doesn't appear on its bottles—it
the bottles. The company has rolled out "limited edition" body wash in the UK packaged in bottles of various shapes, the idea being that women come in various shapes, too. "Every woman’s version of...
Her Before-and-After Pics
Have an Unusual Twist
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 12, 2017 9:59 AM CDT
Her Before-and-After Pics Have an Unusual Twist
Megan Jayne Crabbe put on weight, and is proud of it
- Megan Jayne Crabbe says she was just 5 years old when she first began to hate her body. She thought her classmates were prettier and thinner, and gradually began to believe that if she were also thin, she could be pretty, too, reports the
. By 10, she was dieting;...
Lady Gaga Is Not
Having It With
Feb 8, 2017 1:03 PM CST
Lady Gaga Is Not Having It With Body Shamers
'I'm proud of my body,' she writes after Super Bowl performance
- Whether Lady Gaga made a political statement was one big topic of conversation following her Super Bowl performance . Another? How she looked. "I heard my body is a topic of conversation so I wanted to say, I'm proud of my body and you should be proud of yours...
Feeling Blue? Scientists
Suggest Spending Time Nude
Jan 29, 2017 3:01 PM CST
Feeling Blue? Scientists Suggest Spending Time Nude
Research suggests nudity around others correlates with greater happiness
- Are people who spend time naked in the company of others happier than those who don't? Scientists are reporting in the
Journal of Happiness Studies
that so-called "naturists" seem to be, though why remains unclear. "Naturists have been saying this for some time," the lead researcher...
Fitness Blogger Lifts the Lid
on 'Before and After' Photos
Jan 21, 2017 2:55 PM CST
Fitness Blogger Lifts the Lid on 'Before and After' Photos
Sara Puhto shows how posing and lighting can do wonders
- It's not far-fetched for fans of fitness blogger Sara Puhto, who has amassed more than 66,000 followers on Instagram , to think this image is a before-and-after montage. After all, she's done her fair share of such "transformation" photos. But in the recent post, she files a...
Lena Dunham to
Thanks for Not Photoshopping
Jan 4, 2017 1:23 PM CST
Lena Dunham to
: Thanks for Not Photoshopping
'Girls' creator talks body image
- Lena Dunham appears on the cover of
magazine's February issue with her
co-stars, wearing booty shorts, and she has something to say to the magazine for not Photoshopping her thighs to smooth perfection: thanks. "Here goes: throughout my teens I was told, in no uncertain terms,...
Ads on Tube, Bus
Jun 14, 2016 12:33 PM CDT
London Axes Body-Shaming Ads on Tube, Bus
Mayor Sadiq Khan tells Transport for London to stop running them
- Londoners sick of being bombarded by pictures of the supposedly ideal "beach body" every time they jump on the tube may soon be vindicated. The city's mayor, Sadiq Khan, says he's banning body-shaming ads from London's mass transit system, the
reports. An example of such...
in case you missed it
Apr 9, 2016 9:40 AM CDT
8th-Grader Refuses to Share Her 'Perfect' BMI
She instead pens an essay arguing the index is outdated
- An Indiana 8th-grader's refusal to complete a school project as assigned is making headlines . The unnamed girl was asked to calculate her body mass index and give the definition for BMI , which is found by multiplying one's weight by 703 and dividing by squared height in inches. But...
Feb 26, 2016 2:03 AM CST
Cheryl Tiegs: Don't Glamorize Full-Figured Models
She's not happy with the 'Sports Illustrated' Swimsuit Issue
- "I don't like that we're talking about full-figured women because it's glamorizing them." That's what aging model Cheryl Tiegs says about Ashley Graham appearing on the cover of the 2016
Swimsuit Issue. "Your waist should be smaller than 35 [inches],"...
Here's Where Men, Women
Are OK Being Touched
in case you missed it
Nov 1, 2015 10:02 AM CST
Here's Where Men, Women Are OK Being Touched
Our personal bubbles have some surprising quirks
- Where are men and women OK with being touched? Perhaps not surprisingly, it has everything to do with who is doing the touching, report researchers at Oxford University this week in the
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
. A handy body map—1,368 men and women were asked...
Oct 12, 2015 10:26 AM CDT
Vin Diesel Calls Out 'Dad Bod' Body-Shamers
By using his 6-pack abs, of course
- Last week, Vin Diesel raised some eyebrows when he was photographed sporting a " dad bod ," aka a bit of a softer gut than that to which his fans are accustomed. But Sunday while in New York to promote his latest film, 48-year-old Diesel hit back at the haters,...
With Eyes Shut,
We Can't Tell
Our Toes Apart
Sep 22, 2015 11:17 AM CDT
With Eyes Shut, We Can't Tell Our Toes Apart
Many people can't differentiate in new study
- This little piggy went to market—or was it that little piggy? According to researchers at Oxford University, it may be hard for people to tell which toe is which if their eyes are closed and someone's touching their lower digits—a condition called agnosia, AFP reports. In a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.