Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Death Toll Rises in
Ala. Church Shooting,
Jun 18, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Death Toll Rises in Ala. Church Shooting, Suspect IDed
3 have died after Vestavia Hills shooting; Robert Findlay Smith faces capital murder charges
Police have IDed a suspect in Thursday night's church shooting in Alabama. Robert Findlay Smith, 70, who's now facing capital murder charges, is said to have been a fairly regular attendee at services at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Vestavia Hills, with the reverend's wife...
Man Fatally Shoots 2 Females
Outside Iowa Megachurch
Jun 3, 2022 12:33 AM CDT
Man Fatally Shoots 2 Females Outside Iowa Megachurch
Then dies of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound
- A man shot two females to death and then apparently killed himself Thursday night outside a church in Ames, Iowa, the AP reports. The man killed the two females in the parking lot of the Cornerstone Church, a megachurch on the outskirts of Ames, Story County Sheriff's Office Capt....
Judge Rules Air Force Must Pay
$230M to Massacre Victims
Feb 8, 2022 10:54 AM CST
Judge Rules Air Force Must Pay $230M to Massacre Victims
Judge had previously ruled military branch was 60% responsible for Sutherland Springs church shooting
The gunman who shot up a Texas church in 2017, killing 26 and injuring 22, is no longer alive to pay any kind of restitution to his victims or their loved ones. But on Monday, Judge Xavier Rodriguez of the US District Court for the Western District of Texas...
Sep 22, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Court Endorses Law Protecting Confederate Statues
Removal requires approval of Legislature
- The South Carolina Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that a state law preventing anyone from moving a Confederate monument or changing the historical name of a street or building without the Legislature's permission is legal. But in the same ruling, the AP reports, the justices struck down a requirement that...
Suspect in Texas Church
Slaying Found, Charged
Jan 4, 2021 6:25 PM CST
Suspect in Texas Church Slaying Found, Charged
Pastor was shot to death after finding a man hiding in the bathroom: sheriff
- A suspect has been located, charged and jail in the fatal shooting of a Texas church pastor Sunday. Mytrez Deunte Woolen faces two felony assault charges and a capital murder charge,
reports. The pastor, Mark Allen McWilliams, was killed after finding a man hiding in the bathroom of...
Texas Pastor Dies in
Shooting at Church
Jan 3, 2021 3:10 PM CST
Texas Pastor Dies in Shooting at Church
The suspect was hiding at the church to evade cops
- A pastor was killed and two others were injured Sunday in a shooting at an East Texas church, the AP reports. “This is not a church-related, religion-related offense,” Smith County Sheriff Larry Smith said at a news conference. Authorities say the pastor discovered the suspect hiding in a...
Sunday Was No Ordinary Day
for Texas Church Shooter
Dec 31, 2019 9:35 AM CST
Sunday Was No Ordinary Day for Texas Church Shooter
It was Keith Kinnunen's late brother's birthday: family
- As head of security at Texas' West Freeway Church of Christ, Jack Wilson spent many hours training for an active-shooter scenario, "hoping it never happens," he tells KTVT . When it did, the 71-year-old volunteer's split-second reaction "ultimately saved the lives of maybe hundreds of people,"...
Texas Church Shooting
Was Over in 6 Seconds
Dec 30, 2019 12:26 PM CST
Texas Church Shooting Was Over in 6 Seconds
2 members of the church's security team took out the gunman
- The gunman who shot and killed two people at a Texas church on Sunday as services were being broadcast live was stopped in just six seconds, according to Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick. "Two of the parishioners who were volunteers of the [West Freeway Church of Christ's] security...
Congregants Shoot Gunman
in Live-Streamed Attack
Dec 29, 2019 4:35 PM CST
Congregants Shoot Gunman in Live-Streamed Attack
2 people are killed in Texas church
- Congregants shot and killed a man who opened fire in a church near Fort Worth, Texas, on Sunday, killing the attacker, police said. A person shot by the suspect also died and a second parishioner has life-threatening injuries following the attack at the West Freeway Church of Christ, White Settlement...
Tennessee Church Shooter
Learns His Fate
May 29, 2019 12:45 AM CDT
Tennessee Church Shooter Learns His Fate
Emanuel Samson gets life without parole
- A Tennessee jury deliberated less than two hours Tuesday before sentencing the man who shot up a Nashville church in 2017 to life in prison without the possibility of parole. On Friday, the jury found Emanuel Kidega Samson guilty of murder in the death of Melanie Crow. Samson also injured...
26 People. She
to the Scene
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 2, 2018 7:01 AM CDT
He Massacred 26 People. She Keeps Returning to the Scene
Michelle Shields talks about the aftermath of the Sutherland Springs church massacre
- "The Lord had a different plan for me, maybe for me to be left behind and help the survivors." So speculates Michelle Shields, who in an alternate universe would be dead. In this one, she's very much alive, having stayed home on a fateful Sunday from services...
Wife in Church
Nov 17, 2017 7:32 AM CST
Man Discussing Church Shootings Accidentally Shoots Wife in Church
The bullet that entered her abdomen first struck his hand
- During a discussion of church shootings, a man announced that he took his gun everywhere, pulled it out in a room full of people, then accidentally shot himself and his wife—at church. The unidentified Tennessee man, described as in his 80s, was at a luncheon at First United Methodist...
After Texas Shooting, an
Outpouring of Love—and BBQ
Nov 12, 2017 9:33 AM CST
After Texas Shooting, an Outpouring of Love—and BBQ
Fundraiser to show victims' families 'their neighbors care' is wildly successful
- The line of cars already stretched for miles before noon when Gage Laubach arrived at a tiny church outside San Antonio where a barbecue was being held to raise money for victims of the mass shooting in nearby Sutherland Springs. The steady stream of cars was still coming Saturday evening,...
Pastor: Site of Massacre
Can't Be a Church Anymore
Nov 10, 2017 7:39 AM CST
Pastor: Site of Massacre Can't Be a Church Anymore
Frank Pomery suggests building in Sutherland Springs be demolished
- The Texas church where more than two dozen people were killed by a gunman during Sunday services will be demolished, the pastor said. Pastor Frank Pomeroy told leaders of the Southern Baptist Convention that it would be too painful to continue using First Baptist Church as a place of worship,...
Texas Authorities: You Won't
Hear Us Speak Gunman's Name
Nov 7, 2017 8:06 AM CST
Texas Authorities: You Won't Hear Us Speak Gunman's Name
It reflects wider movement to keep the victims at the forefront, suspects from being glorified
- The shooter's name went unspoken at a news conference on the killings at a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, and authorities there say they intend to keep refraining from saying it. "We do not want to glorify him and what he has done," Texas Department of Public...
Gunman Sent 'Threatening
Texts' to His Mother-in-Law
Nov 6, 2017 1:24 PM CST
Gunman Sent 'Threatening Texts' to His Mother-in-Law
Massacre may have been triggered by 'domestic situation'
- Sunday's mass shooting at a Texas church appears to have been set off by some kind of family fight. "We can tell you that there was a domestic situation going on within this family," said a Texas Department of Public Safety official, adding that 26-year-old Devin Kelley...
Note in Tenn. Church Suspect's
Car Referenced Revenge
Sep 30, 2017 5:00 AM CDT
Note in Tenn. Church Suspect's Car Referenced Revenge
The note could offer a glimpse into Emanuel Kidega Samson's mindset
- A note found in the car of a man charged with spraying deadly gunfire at a Tennessee church made reference to revenge for white supremacist Dylann Roof's massacre at a black church in Charleston, South Carolina, two years earlier, law enforcement officials told the AP . The note could offer...
Gunshots, Then a Minister's
Command to 'Run!'
Sep 25, 2017 12:20 PM CDT
Gunshots, Then a Minister's Command to 'Run!'
Emanuel Kidega Samson is charged with murder after church shooting in Tennessee
- The minister shouted "Run, run, gunshots!" and congregants hid under pews or in bathrooms as a masked man armed with two guns opened fire at a Tennessee church, killing one person and wounding six before being subdued. Burnette Chapel Church of Christ member Minerva Rosa tells the AP...
GPS Reveals Chilling
2nd Stop by Dylann Roof
Feb 22, 2017 4:03 AM CST
GPS Reveals Chilling 2nd Stop by Dylann Roof
GPS data reveals he went to second church
- GPS information from Dylann Roof's car reveals a chilling detail: He stopped at a second South Carolina church after his massacre, reports ABC affiliate WCIV . When he left Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, Roof got back on the interstate and took an exit that brought him to Branch AME...
Daughter Asked: 'Is
Daddy Going to Die?'
Jan 5, 2017 1:32 PM CST
Charleston Survivor's Daughter Asked: 'Is Daddy Going to Die?'
Jennifer Pinckney cradled 6-year-old under desk as Dylann Roof killed her husband
- "There's nothing wrong with me psychologically," Dylann Roof told a jury Wednesday . It was a statement Jennifer Pinckney had heard before. The wife of Rev. Clementa Pinckney had been in her husband's study at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston with their 6-year-old daughter, Malana, on June...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.