Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Spiders to Intentionally
Run Wild at Museum
Sep 26, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Spiders to Intentionally Run Wild at Museum
Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum is letting its creepy-crawlies have free reign over venue during exhibit
- At one of Europe's most famous museums, life is definitely imitating art until early next year. "The museum is teeming with animals this season!" promises Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum in its promotion for "Clara and Crawly Creatures," its new exhibit focusing on insects and other creeping...
The Thing of Your Nightmares
Might Actually Have Dreams
Aug 9, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
The Thing of Your Nightmares Might Actually Have Dreams
Spiders seem to experience REM sleep, with twitches suggesting they act out activities
- You've probably seen a dog kick its legs mid-dream, as though running. Spiders apparently do much the same thing, according to a new study—the first to indicate that arachnids dream. Daniela Roessler, a postdoctoral fellow at Germany's University of Konstanz, trained infrared cameras on sleeping spiders at...
May Take Over
Mar 8, 2022 10:35 AM CST
These Giant 'Flying' Spiders May Take Over East Coast
'Try to learn to live with them' is scientists' advice
- Last fall, Georgia residents were dismayed to make the acquaintance of the Joro spider, a palm-sized, "flying" creature hailing from East Asia that showed up in the Peach State by the millions. Now, scientists say, people further north should prepare, because the 3-inch-long arachnids with bright yellow stripes, also...
Tarantula Breeder's Call Led
to Discovery of New Species
Jan 19, 2022 8:37 AM CST
Tarantula Breeder's Call Led to Discovery of New Species
Of worm, that is
- Having a new species of worm named after you may not seem like the highest honor, but in the case of
, it's a worm that comes with a cinematic edge. This particular species of nematode is a tarantula-killer, hence its name, which is a nod to the...
Massive Killer Spider Found
in Australia Could Save Lives
Nov 17, 2021 1:10 PM CST
Massive Killer Spider Found in Australia Could Save Lives
Australian Reptile Park plans to milk the 'megaspider' to make antivenom
- If you happen to have handed over a massive spider with fangs almost an inch long to an anti-venom program in Australia, the Australian Reptile Park wants to hear from you. The park says the funnel-web spider, nicknamed "megaspider," is the largest arachnid of this kind that the...
Swarms of Millions of Spiders
Flee Australia Floods
Mar 22, 2021 1:04 PM CDT
Swarms of Millions of Spiders Flee Australia Floods
New South Wales has been hit by worst flooding in decades
- The worst flooding in decades has forced around 18,000 people from their homes in eastern Australia—and millions of spiders are also on the move. New South Wales residents say swarms of millions of spiders trying to escape rising waters are heading for higher ground. Residents say the arachnids...
Venomous Spiders Found
at University Library
Feb 24, 2021 5:25 PM CST
Venomous Spiders Found at University Library
The University of Michigan library was closed for a few days
- Staff at a University of Michigan library temporarily closed the building after three venomous spiders turned up in a basement storage area, the AP reports. The Mediterranean recluse spiders were found in late January in the Shapiro Undergraduate Library on the school’s Ann Arbor campus. The library reopened Tuesday...
Feds: Guilty Pleas
Coming in Crazy
Sep 23, 2020 6:00 PM CDT
Feds: Guilty Pleas Coming in Crazy eBay Scheme
4 ex-employees allegedly sent live spiders to a Massachusetts couple
- Four former eBay Inc. employees have agreed to plead guilty to their roles in a campaign of intimidation that included sending live spiders and cockroaches to the home of a Massachusetts couple who ran an online newsletter critical of the auction site, federal prosecutors said Wednesday, the AP reports. "...
Doctor Pulls Brown Recluse
From a Woman's Ear
Aug 25, 2019 12:15 PM CDT
Doctor Pulls Brown Recluse From a Woman's Ear
Spider moved in but didn't bite
- That swishing sound in Susie Torres' ear sounded like water. Maybe it was caused by a recent allergy shot, she thought. The slight pain didn't let up, so she decided to have her ear examined after work. A medical assistant had one look and went for help, KSHB reports....
Afraid of Spiders? Maybe
Don't Read This Story
Jun 19, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
Afraid of Spiders? Maybe Don't Read This Story
A huntsman spider was photographed eating a pygmy possum in Tasmania
- Add this to your lists of things likely to cause nightmares: a hand-sized spider was captured eating a pygmy possum, and the photos that were posted last week to Facebook have gone viral. The
set the scene, which took place in April at Mount Field National Park in...
Spiders' Eating Habits
Mar 1, 2019 10:27 AM CST
Spiders' Eating Habits Surprise Researchers
One is spotted feasting on an opossum in the Amazon
- Scientists watched on in amazement as a dinner-plate-sized tarantula in the Amazon was seen eating an opossum for the first time. "We were pretty ecstatic and shocked, and we couldn't really believe what we were seeing," says Michael Grundler of the University of Michigan. The finding, recorded...
'Why Don't You Die!'
Jan 2, 2019 9:35 AM CST
He Screamed 'Why Don't You Die!' Then, Embarrassment
Australian man trying to kill spider got a little fired up
- Two legs good, eight legs bad—not one of the commandments from
, but rather the deep-seated feelings of an Australian man whose reaction to a spider ended up drawing law enforcement to his home. Per the
, a report came in to police that a passer-by strolling past...
Spider Milk? Researchers
Make Surprising Discovery
Nov 30, 2018 8:45 AM CST
Spider Milk? Researchers Make Surprising Discovery
Researchers discover a breed in which the mothers nurse their offspring
- It was an arachnid mystery: Scientists studying a particular type of spider couldn't figure out how the babies kept growing in the nest even though mom wasn't bringing back any food to them. Then a researcher spotted a baby clinging to its mother's abdomen. "I had...
Steer Clear of Aitoliko
Sep 21, 2018 4:15 PM CDT
Have Arachnophobia? Steer Clear of Aitoliko
Webs cover the trees and shrubs of the Greek town as spiders feast on flies
- It's not quite the World Wide Web—but the spiders of Aitoliko in Greece have made a good start. Spurred into overdrive by an explosion in the populations of insects they eat, thousands of little spiders in the western Greek town have shrouded coastal trees, bushes, and low vegetation...
7K Bugs, Spiders Taken
in 'Unprecedented' Heist
Sep 8, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
7K Bugs, Spiders Taken in 'Unprecedented' Heist
The Philadelphia Insectarium and Butterfly Pavilion apparently got robbed
- See a warty glowspot roach or six-eyed sand spider crawling around Philly? Consider calling the police, because those little creatures may be among 7,000 snakes, frogs, scorpions, spiders, millipedes, and bugs apparently stolen from the Philadelphia Insectarium and Butterfly Pavilion late last month, Vice reports. Museum owner John Cambridge...
Woman's Unwanted Guests:
Dozens of Poisonous Spiders
Jul 6, 2018 5:20 PM CDT
Woman's Unwanted Guests: Dozens of Poisonous Spiders
Angela Wright of Brentwood, Tenn., was bitten by brown recluse spiders in her apartment
- Arachnophobes beware , this story may not be for you. A Tennessee woman says dozens of poisonous spiders took up residence in her apartment. Angela Wright of Brentwood says she was recently bitten in the night while she slept and awoke to find several bumps on her body, reports WSMV...
She Needed Someone to Kill
a Spider, So She Ordered KFC
Jun 7, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
She Needed Someone to Kill a Spider, So She Ordered KFC
Delivery guy 'Joe' got the job done
- You can't say millennials aren't resourceful. Take Demi Sweeney, a 22-year-old student in the UK, who ordered $17 worth of KFC grub just so the delivery driver would kill an inch-wide spider. Afraid of the spider "blocking" the stairway from her room to the downstairs (the spider...
Oldest Known Spider Killed
by Wasp at Age 43
Apr 29, 2018 3:30 PM CDT
Oldest Known Spider Killed by Wasp at Age 43
That was one old arachnid
- The world's oldest known spider was killed after living to the ripe old age of 43. Per Fox News , the female trapdoor spider was killed by a parasitic wasp in October after she was studied by scientists starting at her birth in 1974. The findings were published in a...
With Tails to Cause
Feb 8, 2018 12:10 AM CST
Ancient Spiders With Tails to Cause Modern Nightmares
The creature lived 100M years ago in Myanmar
- Congratulations to science on discovering an even more terrifying spider. OK, so
isn't quite a spider and lived 100 million years ago. But still. The discovery of the apparent spider ancestor—four individuals of which were found trapped in amber from Myanmar—was revealed in a paper...
Driver Crashes Car,
May 9, 2017 7:31 PM CDT
Driver Crashes Car, Blames Spider
Passenger was injured in Michigan crash
- A person can't be blamed for how they react when they're surprised by a spider, right? The passenger in a car driven by a 26-year-old Michigan man might beg to differ. The man veered off the road and through a ditch and heavy brush in northern Michigan Sunday...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Screenshots Live Forever, as Santos Is Now Finding Out
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
Jay Leno Cannot Catch a Break
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
Former Child Actor Lance Kerwin Dead at 62
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.