Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Marine Le Pen
Stories 1 - 20 |
Le Pen: I'm Defying Order for Psych Evaluation
Far-right leader in France says it shows how far her political opponents will go
- A firebrand politician of the far right in France has been ordered by a court to undergo a psychiatric evaluation—and Marine Le Pen is daring the court to force her to do so. The leader of the National Rally broke the news herself in a (French-language) tweet , saying that...
Bannon Tells Le Pen's Party: 'Let Them Call You Racist'
Former White House strategist advises the French
- Steve Bannon continued his European tour Saturday as a surprise speaker for the struggling National Front party in Paris, NBC News reports. The former White House strategist paced the stage for half an hour, bathing in applause and urging members to embrace some of their critics' worst epithets. "Let...
Macron's Victory Was a 'Political Earthquake' for France
Macron has to govern a deeply divided nation
- The pollsters were wrong once again with France's presidential runoff election but there was no surprise result this time: Emmanuel Macron defeated far-right candidate Marine Le Pen 66% to 34%, a much bigger margin than the 20 points that had been predicted, Reuters reports. But 34% was still a...
France Just Elected Its Youngest President Ever
But headwinds face Emmanuel Macron
- Emmanuel Macron will be France's next president, putting a 39-year-old political novice at the helm of one of the world's biggest economies and slowing a global populist wave. Polling agencies projected that Macron defeated far-right leader Marine Le Pen 65% to 35% on Sunday. Macron will be the...
As France Votes, Louvre Is Evacuated
Suspicious bag left outside courtyard where Macron planned to celebrate
- Emmanuel Macron's campaign press office says a suspicious bag that prompted the evacuation of the courtyard outside the Louvre museum where the centrist French presidential candidate has planned to celebrate election night. Macron's team said a press room had been set up at the downtown Paris location and...
Le Pen-Macron Isn't Another Trump-Clinton: Pollsters
Macron has a polling lead Clinton never even came close to
- The final polls before Sunday's French presidential election show Emmanuel Macron with a massive 22- or 24-point lead over Marine Le Pen. And FiveThirtyEight , for its part, claims this isn't another Clinton-Trump situation: President Trump was a "normal polling error" behind Hillary Clinton the day before the...
11th-Hour Twist in French Election: Faked Documents
Forgeries purportedly show Macron was involved with Caribbean bank
- Allegations of fake news and hacking attempts dominated France's tense presidential campaign Thursday, with just two days left for independent Emmanuel Macron and his far-right rival Marine Le Pen to win over voters before Sunday's high-stakes runoff. Macron's campaign filed suit against unknown source "X''...
Le Pen, Macron Clash in Ill-Tempered Debate
He called her the 'high priestess of fear'
- The only face-to-face televised debate between France's presidential candidates turned into an uncivil, no-holds-barred head-on clash of styles, politics, and personalities Wednesday. Emmanuel Macron called his far-right opponent Marine Le Pen a "parasite" who would lead the country into civil war. She painted the former banker as a...
France's National Front Just Lost Its 2nd Leader This Week
Jean-Francois Jalkh steps down over comments on Holocaust
- Marine Le Pen stepped down as leader of the National Front this week to focus on her campaign for French president. On Friday, the man tapped to replace her also stepped down—after he was accused of agreeing, or at least sympathizing, with Holocaust deniers, Reuters reports. According to the...
Sunday's Vote 'Humiliated' French Party Politics
2 outsiders will compete in runoff vote
- The election results in France are now final, confirming the political earthquake that has just taken place: Centrist Emmanuel Macron took 23.8% of votes in the first round, with 21.5% for far-right candidate Marine Le Pen, the BBC reports. The two candidates will compete for the presidency in...
Results of Election Are a First in Modern French History
Emmanuel Macron, Marine Le Pen will battle it out on May 7
- The polls closed at 7pm local time, meaning the first round of the French presidential election is officially in the books. While the official percentages are not yet known, the AP reports centrist Emmanuel Macron and far-right leader Marine Le Pen will advance to the runoff after major opponent Francois...
France Votes: 11 Candidates, Evacuation, Topless Protesters
It could be a wild day in Round 1 of election
- A voting station in eastern France has reopened after being evacuated because of a suspicious vehicle parked nearby. Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet told the AP that the voting station in Besancon was evacuated while explosives experts examined the car, but they deemed there to be no risk. He said...
Only One Way to 'Stave Off Disaster' in French Election
Country votes on Sunday
- France votes Sunday in a presidential election further roiled by the fatal shooting of a police officer in an attack claimed by ISIS. On Friday, President Trump tweeted that the shooting would "have a big effect" on the vote, without offering specifics. But the
points out that...
Leftist Who Uses Holograms Rising Sharply in French Polls
Surprising ascent of Jean-Luc Melenchon in presidential race is rattling France
- Far-right candidate Marine Le Pen and independent Emmanuel Macron have been drawing the lion's share of attention as the French presidential election nears (the first round is April 23 ), but a leftist candidate who has used a hologram of himself to stump at campaign rallies is now gaining...
Ex-Adviser Says Le Pen's Inner Circle 'Are Real Nazis'
Yet Le Pen is closer than ever to giving National Front France's presidency
- For the first time since her father founded the party in 1972, Marine Le Pen has an actual shot at delivering the French presidency to the National Front, the
reports in a profile of the far-right candidate. The profile touches on Le Pen expelling her Holocaust-denying father from the...
French Candidate Takes Flak for Comments on Jews in WWII
Marine Le Pen says France not to blame for mass arrest in Paris
- Marine Le Pen has been accused in the past of being anti-Semitic, and her words over the weekend on a famous World War II raid didn't help put that allegation to bed. Per Reuters , the far-right French presidential contender spoke to media groups Sunday and referenced the Vel d'...
The Fieriest Clash During the French Presidential Debate
It was Macron vs. Le Pen
- The two frontrunners for the French presidency clashed spectacularly in the campaign's first televised debate between leading candidates Monday night. All five candidates landed punches during vigorous discussion on the big issues for France: jobs, terrorism, immigration, and Europe. But the face-off between independent centrist Emmanuel Macron and far-right...
Disturbing ISIS Tweets Cost Le Pen Immunity
After EU Parliament vote, French prosecutors can now dive into investigation of postings
- French presidential candidate Marine Le Pen lost EU parliamentary immunity Thursday by "a large show of hands," Reuters reports, giving prosecutors more leeway to investigate tweets she posted in December 2015. The offending tweets included graphic imagery of executions carried out by the Islamic State, the
Le Pen Won't Wear Headscarf, Cancels Meeting With Muslim Leader
'I will not cover myself up'
- Marine Le Pen backed out of a meeting with the religious leader of Sunni Muslims in Lebanon on Tuesday while refusing to don a headscarf, Reuters reports. According to CNN , the French far-right presidential candidate showed up to the meeting with Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdul Latif Derian but left without...
Man Arrested After Mosque Shooting Was Helping Victims
White House uses attack to defend travel ban
- The man mistakenly arrested during Sunday night's attack on a Quebec City mosque says he was trying to save a friend's life—but he understands why he ended up spending a night in jail. Mohamed Belkhadir, a 29-year-old engineering student of Moroccan origin, says he was clearing snow...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Museum Visitor Realizes Where Long-Lost Painting Is
Trump's Twitter Password Was Pretty Easy to Guess
See the Moment Trump Ends 60 Minutes Interview
Democrats Use Visual Stunt as Barrett Vote Proceeds
Giuliani on That Borat Scene: 'I Was Tucking In My Shirt'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.