Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mother Chases Down
Leopard To Rescue Son
Dec 5, 2021 8:45 AM CST
Mother Chases Down Leopard To Rescue Son
Predator struck at night in an Indian village
- When a little boy was snatched by a leopard in India, his mother wasted no time in getting him back. Armed with nothing but her instincts, officials in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh told CNN the woman chased the animal as it dragged the boy away from their...
Model Attacked by
Leopard During Photoshoot
Aug 26, 2021 2:24 AM CDT
Model Attacked by Leopard During Photoshoot
36-year-old reportedly suffers severe head injuries
- A German model was attacked by a leopard while doing a photoshoot Tuesday. The shoot took place at an animal home, which the BBC describes as a retirement facility for show animals, but it's not clear who organized it or what it was for. Jessica Leidolph, 36, was hospitalized...
'It's Like Seeing a Camel
at the North Pole'
May 10, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
'It's Like Seeing a Camel at the North Pole'
Wayward whale is spotted in the River Thames
- Two tales of two very different animals being sought by wildlife officials:
A young minke whale was lost far from home Monday, trapped in the Thames River upstream of London landmarks after it escaped from rescuers overnight, per the AP . Maritime authorities were trying to recapture the whale
He Paid $150 to Play With
Leopard. It Doesn't End Well
Oct 30, 2020 10:53 AM CDT
He Paid $150 to Play With Leopard. It Doesn't End Well
Sanctuary owner facing charges, lawsuit in Florida and man is injured
- A Florida man got more than he bargained for when he paid $150 to play with a leopard. Dwight Turner was mauled in the backyard of a home in Davie, near Fort Lauderdale, on Aug. 31, leaving his scalp "hanging from his head," according to investigators with the...
Experts Paint Eyes on
Cow Butts—and It Works
in case you missed it
Aug 15, 2020 2:40 PM CDT
Experts Paint Eyes on Cow Butts—and It Works
Researchers find a low-cost way to save cattle in Botswana
- Want to save cattle from predatory attacks? First, paint eyeballs on their butts. Then see what happens. That's pretty much the gist of a new study out of Botswana—and it worked, Happy Mag reports. Researchers at the University of South Wales painted the eyes on cow butts to...
Old Perfume Taking Up Space?
Zoo's Big Cats Will Take It
Jan 30, 2020 3:33 PM CST
Old Perfume Taking Up Space? Zoo's Big Cats Will Take It
Banham Zoo puts out a call for perfume, cologne
- Have any old bottles of perfume or cologne lying around? Banham Zoo in Norfolk, England, will take them. The zoo says its lions, tigers, and leopards "respond very positively to unique scents when sprayed in their enclosures," and since their supplies are running low, they're hoping the...
I've 'Achieved My Dream'
Feb 14, 2019 9:40 AM CST
Wildlife Photographer: I've 'Achieved My Dream'
Rare black leopards photographed in Kenya
- Will Burrard-Lucas scrolled through photo after photo, seeing only hyenas. Then "a pair of eyes surrounded by inky darkness ... a black leopard! I couldn't believe it," the British wildlife photographer says of capturing some of the first scientific evidence of black leopards in Africa in a century....
Monk Meditates in
Tiger Reserve, Gets
Killed by Leopard
Dec 13, 2018 8:34 AM CST
Monk Meditates in Tiger Reserve, Gets Killed by Leopard
Not a great choice of locale
- A Buddhist monk’s monthlong forest meditation was interrupted in a most horrid way Wednesday in India. Rahul Walke, 35, was meditating under a tree in Maharashtra’s Ramdegi forest, home to a Buddhist temple and a protected tiger reserve, when a leopard attacked, reports the
Times of India
What's Happening in This
Photo Is Kind of Amazing
Jul 14, 2017 8:18 AM CDT
What's Happening in This Photo Is Kind of Amazing
It shows the rare sight of a leopard cub suckling on a lion
- Newly released photographs from a Tanzanian wildlife area show an incredibly rare sight: a leopard cub suckling on a lion believed to have given birth to a litter last month. The 5-year-old lion lies unperturbed as the small leopard, estimated to be a few weeks old, nurses in the photographs...
Zoo Visitor Spots
Jun 8, 2016 12:05 AM CDT
Zoo Visitor Spots Escaped Leopard
Utah zoo was locked down for 30 minutes
- When she got word of a leopard on the loose at the zoo in Salt Lake City, Katie Boender ducked into the nearest building with her group of preschool students: a bathroom. They spent the next 30 minutes holed up there as an emergency team tranquilized the rare animal that...
Into School, Mauls 6
Feb 8, 2016 5:22 AM CST
Leopard Wanders Into School, Mauls 6
Tranquilizers didn't prevent 'attacking spree'
- There were no students or teachers around when a leopard wandered into a school in Bangalore, India, early on Sunday morning, but the incident was still a bloody one. According to the
, security workers at Vibgyor High School suspected around 4am that there was a leopard inside the school...
Jul 13, 2015 5:45 PM CDT
Jet-Black Leopards Have Spots That May Save Their Species
Researchers use an infrared flash to identify the Malaysian animals
- Black leopards may owe thanks to a team of scientists at Australia’s James Cook University. The rare leopards, an endangered species living on the Malay Peninsula, have been hard to identify because each one appeared the same—until now. The researchers discovered that the big cats actually have complex...
Feb 24, 2015 4:13 PM CST
Roar! World's Rarest Cat Makes a Comeback
Amur leopard has doubled its numbers, but there are still only about 65-69
- It's what the WWF is hailing as an "amazing tale of recovery," but the numbers involved are still pretty small: The Amur leopard, dubbed the rarest cat on planet Earth, has doubled its numbers over the past seven years, but as Phys.org reports, there are now...
Feb 24, 2014 8:40 AM CST
Leopard Terrorizes India Hospital
Spends 12 hours inside before bursting out through window
- Patients in an Indian hospital yesterday received an unusual—and pretty frightening—visitor: a leopard that had turned up in the northern city of Meerut, injuring seven people, per the
. After being teased by "mischievous elements" in a warehouse, the animal headed to the hospital, where it...
Ate 15 Women,
Nov 3, 2012 4:50 PM CDT
Wild Leopard Ate 15 Women, Children: Officials
Officials in Nepal offer $300 for death of man-eating creature
- A horrific story from western Nepal: Authorities are hunting for a man-eating leopard that may have killed 15 people, including a 4-year-old boy whose head was found in a forest, CNN reports. At most two leopards are behind the attacks, officials say, because man-eating leopards are so rare—and this...
Gently With Baby
Apr 18, 2012 12:03 AM CDT
Leopard Plays Gently With Baby Steenbok ... Before Dinner
Safari spots tender, cruel interaction
- Hunger finally won out over cross-species maternal instinct in a heart-breaking South African scene captured by safari participants. Witnesses were transfixed when a female leopard grabbed a newborn steenbok, but stopped from eating almost every time the baby cried. The leopard handled it tenderly several times over a period of...
Zulus Urged to
Switch to Fake Fur
Nov 9, 2011 5:42 AM CST
Zulus Urged to Switch to Fake Fur
Biologist looks to save endangered leopards with synthetic pelts
- A leopard can't change its spots, but can South Africa's Zulus trade their traditional leopard-pelt adornments for a cheap knockoff? For the sake of protecting the country's dwindling population of the big cats, conservation biologist Tristan Dickerson hopes they can. Dickerson has created a fake version he...
Leopard Mauls 11
in Indian Village
Jul 21, 2011 12:31 AM CDT
Leopard Mauls 11 in Indian Village
Big cat dies after battle with villagers
- A leopard that strayed into an Indian village mauled 11 people before wildlife officials managed to sedate it with tranquilizer darts. The fully-grown big cat later died of injuries sustained in a fierce battle with villagers, who used knives and stones to beat it back, the AP reports. Six villagers,...
Leopards, Monkeys, Bear Found in Airport Bags
May 13, 2011 2:32 PM CDT
Leopards, Monkeys, Bear Found in Airport Bags
Anti-trafficking officials tracked Dubai-bound carrier to Thai hub
- Thai officials today nabbed a Dubai-bound man who was hauling “a virtual zoo” of endangered creatures around the Bangkok airport. When they opened his bags, they found a yawning bunch of sedated newborns: two leopards, two panthers, two macaque monkeys, and an Asiatic black bear, the AP reports. Anti-trafficking...
Leopard Injures First-Grader
at Kansas Zoo
May 7, 2011 2:04 PM CDT
Leopard Injures First-Grader at Kansas Zoo
Boy climbed protective railing to get closer to cage
- A first-grader suffered head and neck lacerations after venturing too close to a leopard's cage on a field trip to the zoo. His injuries aren't life-threatening, reports the
. The boy climbed a railing meant to keep out the public and walked up to the cage to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
A Game for the Ages Sparks Call for Rule Change
A.I. Has Changed Poker, and Maybe Killed Its 'Soul'
Palin Tests Positive for COVID, NYT Trial Delayed
Female Tourist Detained After Giving Nazi Salute at Auschwitz
When Creditor Comes Calling, Cruise Ship Flees to Bahamas
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.