Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
May 8, 2021 6:26 PM CDT
Singer Was a Pioneer Offstage, as Well
Lloyd Price might have had the first rock hit
- Singer-songwriter Lloyd Price, an early rock 'n' roll star and enduring maverick whose hits included such up-tempo favorites as "Lawdy Miss Clawdy," "Personality," and the semi-forbidden "Stagger Lee," has died. He was 88. Price died Monday in New Rochelle, New York, of complications...
Gets Her Due
in case you missed it
Jul 18, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
'Leather Tuscadero' Gets Her Due
Documentary pays tribute to pioneering female rocker Suzi Quatro
- She's a pioneering female rocker from Detroit named Suzi Quatro who gained a worldwide following in the 1970s with a string of hits like "Can the Can." Quatro's name, however, is recognized more outside the US than in her native country. In fact, she is perhaps...
Christian Rocker Says He
No Longer Believes in God
May 27, 2020 2:40 PM CDT
Christian Rocker Says He No Longer Believes in God
Hawk Nelson frontman says he was shocked to find how many others feel the same way
- The lead singer of award-winning Christian band Hawk Nelson says he's decided to tell the truth: He no longer believes in God, and has had doubts for many years. In a lengthy Instagram post , Jonathan Steingard says he has been "terrified" about making the announcement, but it feels...
Dead at 66
May 7, 2020 11:45 AM CDT
Bad Company Lead Singer Dead at 66
Brian Howe, also a solo artist, suffered cardiac arrest
- Brian Anthony Howe, the former lead singer of rock band Bad Company, has died at 66. Howe suffered cardiac arrest Wednesday and died either at his Florida home or on the way to a hospital, a relative tells TMZ . The singer also suffered a heart attack in 2017. Howe replaced...
'I Love Rock 'N' Roll' Writer
Dies From Coronavirus
Mar 30, 2020 12:52 AM CDT
'I Love Rock 'N' Roll' Writer Dies From Coronavirus
Alan Merrill was 69
- Alan Merrill—who wrote the song "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" that became a signature hit for fellow rocker Joan Jett—died Sunday in New York of complications from the coronavirus, his daughter said. He was 69. Laura Merrill said on her Facebook account that he died in...
Hall & Oates Rocker: You
Can't 'Comprehend' How I Lived
Feb 22, 2020 10:00 AM CST
Hall & Oates Rocker: You Can't 'Comprehend' How I Lived
John Oates explains his old love life
- Well, he might just be right. John Oates, of the mega pop duo Hall & Oates, says "there's no way you can comprehend" his love life back in the day. "I'm sure it was thousands," he tells the
New York Post
when asked how many...
A Drumming Legend
Dead at 67
Jan 11, 2020 5:30 AM CST
A Drumming Legend Dead at 67
Rush's Neil Peart was diagnosed with brain cancer more than 3 years ago
- A drumming rock legend has died. Rush's Neil Peart, who the CBC notes was "revered by fans and fellow musicians as one of the greatest drummers of all time," passed away Tuesday at age 67 in Santa Monica, Calif., per a statement issued by a family spokesperson,...
Cars Lead Singer
Ric Ocasek Found Dead
Sep 16, 2019 6:57 AM CDT
Cars Lead Singer Ric Ocasek Found Dead
New Wave pioneer was 75
- Ric Ocasek, lead singer and rhythm guitarist of pioneering New Wave band The Cars, was found dead in his Manhattan apartment Sunday afternoon. Police say the 75-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene after relatives found him unresponsive, Fox News reports. The cause of death is unclear, though police say...
How Native Americans
'Rocked the World'
Jan 19, 2019 1:40 PM CST
How Native Americans 'Rocked the World'
A new PBS documentary aims to set the record straight
- As a child, Fred Lincoln "Link" Wray Jr. hid under a bed when the Ku Klux Klan came to his parents' home in rural North Carolina. Racist groups often targeted the poor family of Shawnee Native American ancestry as the Wrays endured segregation in the American South just like...
Jan 5, 2019 3:46 PM CST
April Wine Frontman Gets 'Unbelievable' Message
His beloved Gibson guitar wasn't actually destroyed
- Myles Goodwyn loved that guitar—and then it was gone, for 46 years. The former April Wine frontman says he played his Gibson Melody Maker on songs like "You Could Have Been a Lady" and "Bad Side of the Moon" with the Canadian band in the early 1970s,...
Malcolm Young of AC/DC
Dies After Dementia Battle
Nov 18, 2017 8:45 AM CST
Malcolm Young of AC/DC Dies After Dementia Battle
Band co-founder/guitarist was 64
- "Malcolm, job well done." So ends a Facebook post from Australian rock behemoth AC/DC announcing the death of band co-founder/guitarist Malcolm Young. He was 64 and reportedly died with his family at his bedside.
reports Young's three-year battle with dementia had led him to step...
Canada Just Lost
a National Treasure
Oct 18, 2017 9:51 AM CDT
Canada Just Lost a National Treasure
Tragically Hip's Gord Downie dead at 53
- After he was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer , the Tragically Hip's Gord Downie didn't wait for death to take him. He embarked on a sold-out concert tour , released a solo album, raised money for cancer research, and put a spotlight on issues affecting indigenous Canadians, leading to his...
Linkin Park Singer
Jul 20, 2017 1:35 PM CDT
Linkin Park Singer Commits Suicide
Chester Bennington dead at 41
- Another suicide in the rock world: TMZ reports Linkin Park frontman Chester Bennington has hanged himself. He was 41. The site's report comes via police sources who say his body was found before 9am local time at a home in Palos Verdes Estates, California. The
Gene Simmons Claims This
Widely Used Hand Sign Is His
Jun 15, 2017 7:45 AM CDT
Gene Simmons Claims This Widely Used Hand Sign Is His
He's filed a trademark request
- The "rock on" hand gesture is sported by everyone from teen girls to Spider-Man—but Gene Simmons claims it's all his. The KISS frontman filed an application with the US Patent and Trademark Office on Friday in an effort to trademark the sign, per the
Chris Cornell Said
'I'm Just Tired'
May 20, 2017 10:19 AM CDT
Police Report: Chris Cornell Said 'I'm Just Tired'
Ohio festival pays tribute to Soundgarden frontman
- Chris Cornell kept saying "I'm just tired" in his final phone conversation with his wife, according to a police report with more details on the final hour of the Soundgarden frontman's life. Vicky Cornell, alarmed by how different her husband sounded, called band bodyguard Martin Kirsten, who...
Wife Points to
May 19, 2017 9:06 AM CDT
Chris Cornell's Wife Points to Prescription Drug
Says he took higher than usual dose of Ativan before 'suicide'
- Despite a preliminary autopsy report claiming " suicide by hanging ," Chris Cornell's wife says the rocker's death may have been accidental. Vicky Cornell says the Soundgarden frontman had a prescription for anti-anxiety medication Ativan, and told her "he may have taken an extra Ativan or two"...
Chris Cornell's Last Song
Was One About Death
May 18, 2017 1:28 PM CDT
Chris Cornell's Last Song Was One About Death
Medical examiner rules suicide by hanging in death of Soundgarden frontman
- The death of Chris Cornell , frontman of legendary '90s grunge band Soundgarden and later Audioslave, has been ruled "suicide by hanging," reports the
. The 52-year-old was found in his hotel room hours after a sold-out performance in Detroit when his wife, Vicky Karayiannis, asked a...
Chris Cornell Dead at 52
May 18, 2017 3:52 AM CDT
Soundgarden Singer Chris Cornell Dead at 52
Rep says grunge legend died suddenly
- Rocker Chris Cornell, who gained fame as the lead singer of the bands Soundgarden and later Audioslave, has died at age 52, according to his representative. Cornell, who had been on tour, died Wednesday night in Detroit, Brian Bumbery said in a statement to the AP . Bumbery called the death...
Ruled a Suicide
Mar 16, 2016 9:00 AM CDT
Rocker's Death Ruled a Suicide
Keith Emerson shot himself in the head: autopsy
- A Los Angeles coroner's official says the death of Keith Emerson , keyboardist and co-founder of the seminal progressive rock group Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, has been ruled a suicide. The determination was made after an autopsy showed Emerson shot himself in the head, the official tells the AP . He...
Prog Rock Legend
Dies in Suspected Suicide
Mar 12, 2016 5:19 AM CST
Prog Rock Legend Dies in Suspected Suicide
Emerson of Emerson, Lake, Palmer found dead in Calif, home
- Keith Emerson, founder and keyboardist of the progressive-rock band Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, has died. He was 71. Emerson's longtime partner, Mari Kawaguchi, called police to his condominium in Santa Monica, California, at about 1:30am on Friday. Emerson had an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Food Prices May Spike Again, Thanks to a New Shortage
Crazy Homecoming Scandal May Result in Serious Jail Time
Stowaway Endures Over 2-Hour Flight Inside Plane Landing Gear
Smash and Grab Turns Deadly for Former Officer
Fauci Says US Could Face 'Fifth Wave' as Omicron Spreads
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.