Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Add Newser to your home screen?
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ex-NFL Player Staged a Hate Crime, Police Say
Edawn Coughman faces charges including insurance fraud
- Edawn Coughman, a former NFL player, faces charges after police said he destroyed his business in a ploy to portray himself as the victim of a hate crime. After receiving a call that someone was wrecking the Create and Bake Restaurant and Coughman's Creamery outside Atlanta, police said they...
Here's How to Fake Your Own Death
But be warned, 'pseudocide' is not easy
- Faking your own death seems easy, right? Just ride a kayak off the coast of Mexico, swim away, and let authorities say you drowned. But Isabelle Kohn—whose family friend tried that very technique in 1996—explains in Mel Magazine that "pseudocide" gets a lot harder when insurance companies...
California Man Accused of Killing 2 Sons for Financial Gain
Autistic boys drowned off LA wharf; Ali Elmezayen is charged with murder
- A California man who allegedly killed his two autistic sons for financial gain has been charged with murder—and prosecutors haven't ruled out seeking the death penalty. Prosecutors say Hawthorne resident Ali Elmezayen deliberately drove his car off a Los Angeles wharf in 2015, Fox reports. He emerged through...
Cops: She Set Her Price, Then Cut Off Own Hand
Slovenian woman allegedly stood to gain more than $835K
- A woman in Slovenia claims she slipped and accidentally cut off her own hand while sawing branches off a tree. Police, however, say the 21-year-old chopped off her hand on purpose, thinking it would set her up for life. For police, the life and injury insurance taken out in advance...
Superintendent Who Took Sick Student to Doctor Resigns
Casey Smitherman was arrested for insurance fraud after helping the 15-year-old
- An Indiana school superintendent who was arrested after using her insurance to get medical treatment and meds for a sick student has resigned. Elwood Community Schools Superintendent Casey Smitherman provided the
with a statement explaining her decision was fueled in part by the "negative attention" she and her...
The Fraud Might've Worked, If Not for the Camera
Prosecutors say video shows fake slip and fall in NJ
- Alexander Goldinsky allegedly looked to see if anyone was watching before pouring ice cubes on the floor and "falling." According to prosecutors in New Jersey's Middlesex County, he failed to notice the surveillance camera watching his every move. Goldinsky, 57, is charged with insurance fraud and theft...
She'd Helped This Teen Before. This Time, the Cops Came
School superintendent charged with fraud after using health insurance to help sick student
- An Indiana school superintendent who says she was worried about a sick student was hit with fraud charges after cops say she used her insurance to get medical treatment and meds for him. Per KTXL , court records say 48-year-old Casey Smitherman picked up the 15-year-old, who had a sore throat,...
Court: Man Put Clothes on Stand-In Corpse for Scam
Minnesota man accused of $2M fraud
- A Minnesota man accused of faking his own death seven years ago to collect a $2 million life insurance policy arranged for a stand-in corpse to be dressed in his clothes in Moldova, according to a judge's detention order. Igor Vorotinov, 54, also planted his identification on the body...
Dad's Alleged Role in Kids' Deaths 'Shocks the Conscience'
Ali Elmezayen faces fraud charges given insufficient evidence of murder
- What at first appeared to be a tragic accident is now labeled a "coldhearted scheme." Two children, ages 8 and 13, died on April 9, 2015, when the car their father was driving sped off a Los Angeles wharf and sank. Ali Elmezayen, whose window was open, quickly...
Murder-Suicide by Wife Foils Hubby's Fake Death
He reportedly hoped insurance money would pay for daughter's epilepsy treatment
- Lesson learned: Tell your wife if you ever plan to fake your own death. A 34-year-old man who failed to do so turned up alive to find his wife had killed herself and their two young children, according to police in China. The man, identified only by the surname He,...
Guy Staged Dozens of Car Crashes in Fraud Scam
Mackenzy Noze sentenced to 4 years in prison
- A Haitian man who federal prosecutors say was the ringleader of an auto insurance scam involving as many as 50 staged car crashes was sentenced Monday to four years in prison and ordered to pay $207,000 in restitution, the AP reports. Mackenzy Noze, 33, a legal permanent US resident...
Shady Treatment Centers Help Fuel Drug Addiction
Alison Flory was living in a so-called 'sober living' house until her fatal OD
- The US is in the midst of a well-documented opioid epidemic, but less well-known is how some people are making money off it through shady treatment centers that bilk insurance companies and do little to help their actual clients. In a feature in the
Christian Science Monitor
, Jennifer Flory describes...
Charges: Man Intentionally Caused 22 Car Crashes
He collected $56K in insurance money over 6 years
- A Utah man is facing multiple felony charges after allegedly getting into nearly two dozen car accidents on purpose in order to collect the insurance money, KSL reports. Navid Monjazeb is accused of causing 22 crashes in and around Salt Lake City between 2010 and 2015, collecting $56,000 in...
Man Drives $1M Bugatti Into Lagoon, Ends Up in Prison
Crash was less due to a 'low-flying pelican' than insurance fraud
- A Texas man who may or may not have purchased a $1 million car for the express purpose of driving it into a lagoon was sentenced to more than a year in prison Tuesday, KTRE reports. According to the
, Andy House—who owns a salvage yard for exotic...
Story Questions Carson's Close Ties to Felon
Health care fraud a no-no in Carson's eyes—except when it comes to his pal
- "Next to my wife of 32 years, there is no one on this planet that I trust more than [Alfonso] Costa," Ben Carson said at a 2008 sentencing hearing for the man he calls his best friend. "We discovered that we were so much alike and shared...
Ice Bucket Video Could Get Cop 6 Years in Jail
Jaime Robison was on disability when she lifted 5-gallon pail
- Like countless others, Jaime Robison found herself playing a part in last summer's Ice Bucket Challenge craze to raise money for ALS. In a video uploaded in July, the California police officer was filmed lifting a 5-gallon pail of ice water and dousing a fellow cop, the
Man 'Cremated' Years Ago Just Arrested in NC
Jose Salvador Lantigua slipped up on passport application
- A Florida businessman who authorities say faked his own death to dodge debts while reaping millions in life insurance benefits is sitting in a North Carolina jail, and a passport application reportedly proved his undoing. Jose Salvador Lantigua—wearing a "poorly dyed beard" and a brown toupee—was arrested...
'Extravagant' Family Accused of $20M Insurance Fraud
Risoldis accused firefighters of $10M theft after suspicious mansion fire
- What kind of people would set their home on fire, then falsely accuse volunteer firefighters of stealing $10 million in jewelry? The Risoldi clan of Bucks County, Pa., might fit the bill, according to prosecutors. The family fell under suspicion of fraud after a fire at Claire Risoldi's "...
'Catch Me If You Can,' Tweets Fugitive
Shockingly, this story does not end well for San Diego woman
- A fugitive convicted in a big insurance fraud scheme who taunted authorities via Twitter is now in custody in San Diego, reports the
. The plight of Wanda Podgurski is getting national attention because of her bold tweets to the DA in San Diego County. "Catch me if...
Brits Killing Pets for Insurance Money
Association of British Insurers pegs 2010 insurance fraud at $3M
- How bad is the economy? Some people are trying to make a buck by killing their pets to rake in the insurance money, says the Association of British Insurers. In a detail that doesn't really do much to restore one's faith in humanity, the insurers note that some...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ex-Biden Aide Makes Harrowing Accusation
Twilight Zone Episodes Seem Even Eerier Now
US City's Outbreak Is 'Off the Charts'
The National Guard Seeks Fleeing New Yorkers
She Said Virus Coverage Was to Hurt Trump. Now, a Parting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Suggest a Story
Get our apps
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.