Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Japanese Vending Machines
Now Dispensing Whale Meat
Jan 30, 2023 9:35 AM CST
Japanese Vending Machines Now Dispensing Whale Meat
Conservationists are worried about the development
- A Japanese whaling operator, after struggling for years to promote its products amid protests from conservationists, has found a new way to cultivate clientele and bolster sales: whale meat vending machines. The Kujira (Whale) Store, an unmanned outlet that recently opened in the port town of Yokohama near Tokyo, houses...
Couple Who Won Pig Wanted to
Bring Her Home. The Fair: Nope
Jan 21, 2023 9:30 AM CST
Couple Who Won Pig Wanted to Bring Her Home. The Fair: Nope
South Florida Fair insisted 'terminal' auction rules couldn't be changed to save swine from slaughter
- When Meg and Eric Weinberger recently attended the South Florida Fair in West Palm Beach, they had their eyes open for a pig to bring home to their animal sanctuary, Rescue Life in nearby Palm Beach Gardens. They became enamored with one pig in particular named Bella B Swine, and...
Dutch City Bans
Sep 9, 2022 10:24 AM CDT
Dutch City Bans Meat Advertisements
Haarlem officials blame massive farms for worsening the climate
- A city in the Netherlands has become the first in the world to ban advertisements of meat in public places. Starting in 2024, the ads will be barred from appearing on buses, billboards, screens, etc., reports the
. Officials behind the move say it's intended to help the climate—...
Cracker Barrel's New 'Sausage'
Creates Online Ruckus
in case you missed it
Aug 7, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Cracker Barrel's New 'Sausage' Creates Online Ruckus
Chain's ad promoting plant-based Impossible brand generates backlash from customers
- It seemed an innocuous enough ad for Cracker Barrel. "Discover new meat frontiers," the restaurant chain announced in a Monday social media post . "Experience the out of this world flavor of Impossible Sausage Made From Plants next time you Build Your Own Breakfast." The accompanying photo...
We Probably Didn't Have
a Meat Shortage After All
May 13, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
We Probably Didn't Have a Meat Shortage After All
House panel report: Tyson, other meat-processing companies made 'baseless' claims of scarcity
- Workers at meat-processing plants were forced to clock in to work during the early days of the pandemic, thanks to an executive order out of the Trump administration deeming them essential workers amid what was said to be a beef and pork shortage. Except now it seems that last part...
Look Out, West Coast, Here
Comes the Meat-Allergy Tick
May 13, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
Look Out, West Coast, Here Comes the Meat-Allergy Tick
It's been documented as far west as Nebraska, but California is in its sights
- When scientists first figured out years ago that a particular tick was making people allergic to meat , it was an odd malady mostly confined to southern states. But the
New York Times
reports that the Lone Star tick has been busily expanding its territory in the interim. Researchers have mapped...
Feb 21, 2022 7:27 AM CST
Carl Icahn Takes On McDonald's Over Pig Treatment
Financier buys small stake, wants to make moves over its treatment of pigs used for pork
- Carl Icahn holds a small stake in McDonald's, but the financier has two things he wants now that he's a player in the company's machinations: two people of his choice named to the Mickey Dee's board, as well as an improvement in how the company treats...
Better Open Up Your
Wallet for That BLT
Sep 30, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
Better Open Up Your Wallet for That BLT
Bacon prices are the highest they've been in 4 decades
- Not since the Reagan years will a side of bacon set you back as much as it does now. CNN reports that the price of the breakfast staple is the highest it's been in four decades when adjusted for inflation, with the average cost rising close to 30% over...
Feds Are Changing
'Product of USA' Meat Rules
Jul 7, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Feds Are Changing 'Product of USA' Meat Rules
That 'product of USA' often isn't, it turns out
- It's something White House press secretary Jen Psaki learned "that I found a little outrageous," she says: Most grass-feed beef bearing the label "product of USA" is no such thing. Rather, it's raised and slaughtered abroad and then brought to the US for processing, and...
2nd-Biggest US Meat Producer
Recovering From Cyberattack
Jun 2, 2021 12:53 PM CDT
2nd-Biggest US Meat Producer Recovering From Cyberattack
JBS says it has made 'significant progress' in getting back online
- The world’s largest meat processing company is getting back online after production around the world was disrupted by a cyberattack just weeks after a similar incident shut down a US oil pipeline. Brazil’s JBS SA said late Tuesday that it had made "significant progress" in dealing with...
Another Cyberattack in the US:
'Why Would They Stop?'
Jun 1, 2021 6:43 AM CDT
Another Cyberattack in the US: 'Why Would They Stop?'
JBS, the world's largest meat supplier, is hit in US and Australia
- First a gas pipeline was the target of a cyberattack. Now, the world's largest meat company. JBS Inc., which has more than 150 locations around the globe, announced it was the target of an "organized" attack against some of its servers, affecting IT systems in the US and...
3-Star Restaurant Known
for Meat Ditching the Meat
May 4, 2021 6:27 AM CDT
3-Star Restaurant Known for Meat Ditching the Meat
Eleven Madison Park will be almost entirely vegan upon reopening
- A Manhattan restaurant once considered the best in the world will no longer serve meat. David Humm's Eleven Madison Park, which topped the World's 50 Best Restaurants list in 2017 but failed to land a place in 2019 , plans to serve "an eight to ten course menu...
New Shortage for US
Restaurant Chains: Chicken
May 1, 2021 11:35 AM CDT
New Shortage for US Restaurant Chains: Chicken
Popularity of fried-chicken sandwiches at big chains is part of the problem
- Add chicken to the list of products in short supply these days. Bloomberg reports that soaring demand at fast-food restaurants has resulted in a poultry crunch across the US. The Bojangles chain reported a "system-wide shortage" of chicken tenders this week, while industry behemoth KFC says it is just...
Over Whether to
Eat Meat on
Mar 16, 2021 6:49 AM CDT
Governors Duel Over Whether to Eat Meat on Saturday
Colorado declares it 'MeatOut Day,' Nebraska declares it 'Meat On the Menu Day'
- Last month, Colorado declared Saturday, March 20, "MeatOut Day," encouraging residents to go meatless on that day. Now, neighboring Nebraska has declared the same day "Meat On the Menu Day" in a direct rebuttal of Colorado's move. Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts said the nonbinding MeatOut Day,...
This Might Be the Brave
New World of Steaks
Feb 9, 2021 2:08 PM CST
This Might Be the Brave New World of Steaks
Israel's Aleph Farms uses 3D printing to create a lab-grown ribeye
- You can order a steak rare, well done, and now, 3D printed. An Israeli company has produced what it calls the "world's first slaughter-free ribeye steak," reports Bloomberg . The product from Aleph Farms is the latest entry in the emerging field of alternatives to traditionally raised meat....
Study: Meat Prices
Should Jump 146%
Dec 23, 2020 12:31 PM CST
Study: Meat Prices Should Jump 146%
If they're to cover their associated climate costs, that is
- You're doing the planet no favors by eating meat that was produced organically, at least when it comes to greenhouse gas emissions—and whatever meat you're eating, it should cost much, much more than it currently does. That's the determination of a new analysis based on German...
Purists Are Losing It Over US
Version of Spanish Delicacy
Aug 15, 2020 11:40 AM CDT
Purists Are Losing It Over US Version of Spanish Delicacy
It's 'not the same thing at all,' says ham expert in Spain
- Like acorn-fed Iberian ham? Well, now you can try US versions of the Spanish delicacy—a development that culinary purists are none too thrilled about, the
reports. "The real problem is that we are a nation of idiots who have given away our heritage that our governments have...
Illnesses at Meat Plants
Continue to Rise
May 26, 2020 8:34 AM CDT
Illnesses at Meat Plants Continue to Rise
Numbers increasing as more plants reopen across the country
New York Times
have front-page stories Tuesday on the nation's meat plants, and both report that outbreaks among workers are continuing as more plants reopen. Exact numbers are hard to come by because the plants, deemed essential businesses, are not legally obligated to report...
City Plans Parade to
Thank Meatpacking Workers
May 19, 2020 6:03 PM CDT
City Plans Parade to Thank Meatpacking Workers
'We wanted them to feel the warmth of the community around them and make them smile'
- A South Dakota city that was among the earliest to be hit by a major coronavirus outbreak in a meatpacking plant is planning a parade to thank workers, who organizers say have been unfairly stigmatized. Organizers of Wednesday's event in Sioux Falls say they hope hundreds of people will...
Meat Shortage Affecting
One Fast-Food Chain's Menus
May 5, 2020 12:35 PM CDT
Meat Shortage Affecting One Fast-Food Chain's Menus
Some Wendy's locations don't have burgers
- Despite President Trump's executive order dictating that meat processing plants stay open , the specter of meat shortages is being felt across the US—and customers of at least one fast-food chain are taking notice. Bloomberg notes that Wendy's has long advertised itself as offering hamburgers made from fresh...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.