Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
World's Biggest Meat Company
Tied to 'Cattle Laundering'
Mar 4, 2020 9:07 AM CST
World's Biggest Meat Company Tied to 'Cattle Laundering'
JBS linked to farms owned by a possibly murderous fugitive
- An investigation has linked the world's largest meat processing company to a farm run by a man accused of ordering a brutal massacre in Brazil. Valdelir João de Souza has been on the run since the April 2017 Colniza massacre, in which nine men were shot and stabbed...
Reducing Red Meat
May Not Be Worth It
in case you missed it
Oct 5, 2019 11:30 AM CDT
Reducing Red Meat May Not Be Worth It
Researchers say link to cancer, heart disease is weak
- Researchers taking a fresh look at the hazards of eating red meat believe they may have killed a sacred cow of nutritional advice. In a paper published in the Annals of Internal Medicine , an international group of experts says evidence that red meat causes heart disease and cancer is weak...
'Undeclared Allergens' Lead
to Frozen Meatball Recall
Jul 27, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
'Undeclared Allergens' Lead to Frozen Meatball Recall
Yanked off shelves: 53K pounds of Cooked Perfect brand meatballs by Home Market Foods
- If spaghetti night is coming up, you might want to check your meatballs first.
reports that a product recall has been issued for more than 53,000 pounds of frozen pork and beef meatballs made by the Massachusetts-based Home Market Foods. A release from the USDA's Food...
First, Impossible Burger.
Now, Impossible Pizza
May 20, 2019 7:38 AM CDT
First, Impossible Burger. Now, Impossible Pizza
Little Caesars is first national pizza chain to offer a faux-meat topping
- The meat-substitute movement has entered the world of pizza. Little Caesars is the first national chain to offer a faux-meat topping—Impossible Sausage, reports Business Insider . It will be available on the $12 Impossible Supreme Pizza in select locations for a trial run, per
. The plant-based "sausage" comes...
Missouri Farm Official: New
Whopper a 'Wake-Up Call'
Apr 9, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
Missouri Farm Official: New Whopper a 'Wake-Up Call'
Meat lobbyist is impressed with taste of Burger King's meatless burger
- If Burger King wanted good advertising for its meatless Impossible Whopper , it has arrived via an unlikely source—a review by an official with the Missouri Farm Bureau. In other words, a meat lobbyist, per the
. Eric Bohl wrote that he tried the plant-based burger, available for now only...
Have a Lot More Meat
Oct 24, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
McDonald's New Breakfast Sandwiches Have a Lot More Meat
Introducing the Triple Breakfast Stack
- Because sometimes, a single layer of sausage, meat, and cheese is just not enough: McDonald's is adding a new breakfast item to its menu, the Triple Breakfast Stack . The sandwiches are basically oversize versions of the fast-food chain's pre-existing McMuffin, McGriddle, and biscuit products, except these have two...
of Eating on the
Her Own Lunch
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 16, 2018 7:21 AM CDT
She's Accused of Eating on the Job—but Not Her Own Lunch
Ohio deli worker accused of devouring $9.2K of ham and salami, a handful of slices at a time
- Vice's Munchies notes this case could be one of "thinly sliced larceny," but whether charges emerge remains to be seen. A loss-prevention manager at a Giant Eagle supermarket in Bolivar, Ohio, recently received an odd tip about a longtime employee at the deli counter: She was...
Law Would Force Tofurky
to Change Its Packaging
Aug 27, 2018 6:15 PM CDT
Law Would Force Tofurky to Change Its Packaging
Tofurky filed a suit to stop it
- Vegetarian food-maker Tofurky filed a lawsuit in Missouri on Monday seeking to defend its right to describe its products with meat terminology such as "sausage" and "hot dogs," as long as the packaging makes clear what the ingredients are, the AP reports. The Hood River, Oregon-based company...
At One Company,
Meat Is Off the Menu
Jul 16, 2018 10:18 AM CDT
At One Company, Meat Is Off the Menu
WeWork will no longer serve poultry, beef, pork in move meant to help environment, save animals
- Office space sharing company WeWork says it is no longer serving red or white meat at company events. In an email to employees, co-founder and Chief Creative Officer Miguel McKelvey said the company won't serve pork, poultry, or red meat, and it won't allow employees to expense meals...
French Butchers Have Beef
With Vegan 'Terror' Campaign
Jun 27, 2018 4:34 PM CDT
French Butchers Have Beef With Vegan 'Terror' Campaign
Meat sellers are now seeking police protection
- Graffiti, smashed windows, even shops splattered with blood. This is the "terror" being set upon meat purveyors in France, the head of the French Federation of Butchers tells the BBC , all part of a campaign by vegans to intimidate "in their aim of making a whole section of...
Way to Help Planet
Jun 1, 2018 11:27 AM CDT
Researchers See Controversial Way to Help Planet
It involves getting rid of meat and dairy agriculture, or at least reducing
- A comprehensive new study finds that more than 75% of the world's farmland—an area the size of the US, EU, China, and Australia combined—could be freed up for new uses and the world still wouldn't go hungry. The big catch: Humans would have to stop consuming...
They Protested His
Eatery's Meat. So
He Grabbed a Deer Leg
Mar 29, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
They Protested His Eatery's Meat. So He Grabbed a Deer Leg
'I just felt helpless' at being called 'murderer,' says Toronto restaurateur Michael Hunter
- What do you do if you're a restaurant that serves meat, yet protesters keep showing up to tell you you're a "murderer"? If you're Michael Hunter, you chop up a deer in the front window. That's what the Toronto restaurateur did Friday after animal-rights...
Cops Plead for Help in Tracking
Down $30K Worth of Veal
Dec 28, 2017 6:00 PM CST
Cops Plead for Help in Tracking Down $30K Worth of Veal
Meat was stolen in Toronto
- Cops in Toronto are pleading with the public to help them solve a hefty Christmas Day heist. The Daily Meal reports on the theft of an "extremely large quantity" of veal, as it's worded in a police release . The meat (and the 48-foot refrigerated trailer it was being...
Hungry WWII POW Had Ideas
Silicon Valley Now Wants
Sep 30, 2017 10:52 AM CDT
Hungry WWII POW Had Ideas Silicon Valley Now Wants
Inside the story of Willem van Eelen
- We've come a long way since a 5-ounce hamburger patty was grown in a lab in 2013 at upwards of $325,000. As Quartz reports, advancements in technology have dropped that cost tremendously, to about $6,000 a pound. And Hampton Creek—a darling of Silicon Valley, a food...
This Is When Vegetarians
Should Eat Meat
Aug 7, 2017 12:30 PM CDT
This Is When Vegetarians Should Eat Meat
In a crowd, to show others that flexibility is OK, suggests an op-ed
- If vegetarians want to persuade carnivores to eat less meat, they might consider eating a little meat themselves. The seeming contradiction is offered up by Alberto Giubilini in an essay at Aeon . He begins by offering up a relatively common scenario: A vegetarian is at a dinner party, and the...
New Environmental Concern:
Our Meat-Eating Cats and Dogs
Aug 3, 2017 1:58 PM CDT
New Environmental Concern: Our Meat-Eating Cats and Dogs
Research finds cats, dogs produce 64M tons of CO2 by eating meat
- A UCLA professor isn't saying anyone who cares about the environment should get rid of their beloved pet dog and/or cat. But he's not
saying that either. It's widely accepted that eating meat is bad for the environment for a number of reasons, and it turns...
Tick Linked to Unusual Malady
Appears to Be Spreading
Jun 20, 2017 10:53 AM CDT
Tick Linked to Unusual Malady Appears to Be Spreading
Bite from lone star tick can give you an allergy to meat
- Ticks are out in force this year, and there's one species in particular you should watch out for if you'd ever like to eat meat again. Experts say the lone star tick appears to be spreading from its home base in the southeastern US. Whereas other ticks can...
First Hot Dogs, Now Sausages:
New Meat Recall
May 25, 2017 10:58 AM CDT
First Hot Dogs, Now Sausages: New Meat Recall
Recall announced by Armour-Eckrich Meats after metal shards found
- On the heels of a recall on hot dogs that contained metal shards , a Kansas food distributor has recalled nearly 100,000 pounds of precooked sausage products for the same reason, reports the AP . The recall was announced Wednesday by Armour-Eckrich Meats in Junction City. The USDA's Food Safety...
Eat an Orange-Toothed
River Rat? They Are in Moscow
Nov 26, 2016 4:00 PM CST
Eat an Orange-Toothed River Rat? They Are in Moscow
Nutria has made its way to the plate
- There's an emerging culinary trend in Moscow, but it's not for the faint of heart: meaty dishes such as burgers and dumplings made with rodent meat. Nutria, commonly referred to as "river rats"—which the
reports are originally from South America but have been...
Hungry Humans Are Eating
Wild Mammals Into Extinction
Oct 22, 2016 3:49 PM CDT
Hungry Humans Are Eating Wild Mammals Into Extinction
Study finds 285 species are close to gone because they're hunted for food
- Hungry humans are in danger of eating nearly a quarter of all endangered land mammals into extinction, according to a study published this week in
Royal Society Open Science
. Quartz reports that 301 species of land mammals—from bats and primates to rodents and big cats—are being hunted into...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
Removal of Roosevelt Statue Begins
She Died on African Hunting Trip. 5 Years Later, Husband Is Arrested
Wife of Cryptocurrency CEO Maintains She Watched Him Die
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.