Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
China Scrubs Internet
of Hashtag 'I Saw It'
Oct 14, 2022 9:07 AM CDT
China Scrubs Internet of Hashtag 'I Saw It' After Protest
Protester called for overthrow of regime, end to 'zero COVID' policies
- Beijing residents saw an incredibly rare sight on a bridge over a busy intersection Thursday—an anti-Xi Jinping protest, with banners calling for the overthrow of the Chinese leader and an end to the country's harsh "zero COVID" policies. A lone protester, who was quickly surrounded by police...
Beijing Begins Mass Testing
Amid Fears of Lockdown
Apr 25, 2022 7:43 AM CDT
Beijing Begins Mass Testing Amid Fears of Lockdown
One area of capital is restricted as cases rise
- China's capital, Beijing, began mass testing of more than 3 million people on Monday and restricted residents in one part of the city to their compounds, sparking worries of a wider Shanghai-style lockdown . While only 70 cases have been found so far in the city of more than 21...
Make It to Paralympics:
'It's a Miracle'
Mar 4, 2022 8:00 AM CST
Ukrainian Athletes Make It to Paralympics: 'It's a Miracle'
As war rages on back home, Paralympians converge on Beijing, with Russian athletes banned
- The Winter Paralympics open Friday in Beijing, with the Russian athletes sent home and the Ukrainian team escaping a war zone to get to China. "It's a miracle that we have made it to the Paralympics," Ukrainian delegation head Valerii Sushkevych said, per the AP . Russia's...
Beijing Blames Omicron Case
on Mail From Canada
Jan 17, 2022 3:35 PM CST
Beijing Blames Omicron Case on Mail From Canada
Claim is 'bewildering,' Canadian scientists say
- Beijing reported its first case of the omicron variant over the weekend and snap lockdowns soon followed. An office building was locked down with employees still inside after the 26-year-old woman tested positive, CNN reports. The residential complex where the woman lives has also been sealed off and a list...
After Getting Visa Applications,
China Questions US Boycott
Dec 28, 2021 10:35 AM CST
After Getting Visa Applications, China Questions US Boycott
Biden administration says it's sending help for athletes and coaches, but not diplomats
- Given that the Biden administration earlier this month announced a diplomatic boycott of the Winter Olympics, China is asking why it's receiving visa applications for US government employees. That can be explained, the US answered: Those applications are for consular and security officers—not diplomats or high-ranking officials, the...
We're Just 100 Days Away
From Another Olympics
Oct 27, 2021 11:48 AM CDT
We're Just 100 Days Away From Another Olympics
'Muted' celebrations mark 100 days to Winter Olympics in Beijing amid travel restrictions
- In 100 days, Beijing will become the first city to host both the Summer and Winter Olympics, which CNN reports is "a major point of pride for China." But the marathon relay and musical performances that marked the 100-day countdown to Beijing's 2008 Summer Olympics were missing...
Mongolia, China Endure
Jun 1, 2021 12:48 PM CDT
Mongolia, China Endure Devastating Sandstorms
Expansion of Gobi desert means storms could increase
- Eight major sandstorms in the past three months have hit Mongolia and China, darkening skies and causing breathing difficulty while killing people and livestock. The storms are centered in the border area at the Gobi desert, but the sand has reached Beijing . In northern China, air pollution levels reached 20...
Open Letter Asks
Feb 3, 2021 2:56 PM CST
Open Letter Asks Governments to Boycott 2022 Olympics
180 groups call for boycott over human rights abuses
- A coalition of 180 rights group on Wednesday called for a boycott of next year's Beijing Winter Olympics tied to reported human rights abuses against ethnic minorities in China, reports the AP . The games are to open in one year, on Feb. 4, 2022, and are set to go...
Hong Kong Media Tycoon
Busted Under New China Law
Aug 10, 2020 1:33 AM CDT
Hong Kong Media Tycoon Busted Under New China Law
Pro-democracy figure Jimmy Lai arrested
- Hong Kong police arrested media tycoon Jimmy Lai and raided the publisher's headquarters Monday in the highest-profile use yet of the new national security law Beijing imposed on the city in June, the AP reports. “Jimmy Lai is being arrested for collusion with foreign powers at this time,...
Books Are Vanishing
in Hong Kong Libraries
Jul 5, 2020 1:20 PM CDT
Books Are Vanishing in Hong Kong Libraries
Authorities are 'one step away from ... actual book banning,' says activist Joshua Wong
- Now unavailable in Hong Kong libraries: books by leading democracy activists. At least nine titles by authors like Joshua Wong and Tanya Chan are disappearing from city libraries only days after China passed a severe national security law , the
South China Morning Post
reports. The agency in charge of Hong...
2 People in China
Contract the Plague
Nov 13, 2019 12:35 PM CST
2 People in China Contract the Plague
Couple diagnosed with pneumonic plague, the most serious form
New York Times
is reporting on "fears of an outbreak" of plague—and, no, you haven't traveled back in time. On Tuesday, officials in China announced that two people had been diagnosed with pneumonic plague, which the CDC calls the most serious of three forms of the...
Beijing Opens Its
2nd International Airport
Sep 25, 2019 1:10 PM CDT
Beijing Opens Its 2nd International Airport
Daxing is meant to handle 72M passengers a year
- President Xi Jinping on Wednesday inaugurated a second international airport for the Chinese capital with the world's biggest terminal ahead of celebrations of the Communist Party's 70th anniversary in power. Beijing Daxing International Airport is designed to handle 72 million passengers a year. Located on the capital's...
China Blasts Pompeo
for 'Grossly' Intervening
Jun 4, 2019 7:17 AM CDT
China Blasts Pompeo for 'Grossly' Intervening
He issued a statement in advance of the 30th anniversary of the Tiananmen massacre
- China stepped up security around Tiananmen Square in central Beijing on Tuesday, as its embassy in Washington criticized the top US diplomat for his statement on its bloody crackdown on pro-democracy protests at the square 30 years ago. Extra checkpoints and street closures greeted tourists who showed up before 5am...
China Waging War
Sep 10, 2018 9:30 AM CDT
China Waging War on Christianity
Activists say Beijing is burning Bibles, shutting churches, forcing the faithful to renounce
- China's government is ratcheting up a crackdown on Christian congregations, destroying crosses, burning Bibles, shutting churches, and ordering followers to sign papers renouncing their faith, according to pastors and a group that monitors religion in China. The campaign corresponds with a drive to "Sinicize" religion by demanding loyalty...
Kim Jong Un's
Secret Trip Is
Mar 28, 2018 1:45 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un's Secret Trip Is Confirmed
He made visit to Beijing this week
- Kim Jong Un has made his first known trip abroad since becoming North Korea's leader in 2011—and it wasn't to Mar-a-Lago. After days of rumors sparked by the arrival of a mysterious North Korean train in Beijing, Chinese and North Korean officials have confirmed that Kim met...
Report: Americans, Chinese
Scuffled Over Nuclear Football
Feb 19, 2018 2:52 AM CST
Report: Americans, Chinese Scuffled Over Nuclear Football
Sources say incident occurred during Trump's Beijing trip
- The "nuclear football" is a briefcase, not an actual football—but sources tell Axios that Chinese security officials acted like its carrier was trying to score a touchdown in an incident in Beijing during President Trump's visit. The sources say that in the Nov. 9 incident, Chinese officials...
Cape Town Isn't
Only Big City With
Feb 12, 2018 8:57 AM CST
Cape Town Isn't Only Big City With Water Crisis
These 5 cities also are in an H20 predicament
- Cape Town's water situation is dire , but although it may soon be the first big city in the world to run out of H2O, it's not the only one nearing such a precarious position. The BBC takes a look at other major urban areas thirsting for liquid sustenance,...
Parents in China Outraged at
Kindergarten's 'Devil Teachers'
Nov 24, 2017 7:20 AM CST
Parents in China Outraged at Kindergarten's 'Devil Teachers'
Beijing's RYB Kindergarten is hit with accusations of drugging, abusing kids
- "Demand justice for these children!" That's just one message posted on Chinese social media following allegations that a Chinese kindergarten run by a company listed on the NYSE abused the kids in its charge. Per the
New York Times
, parents allege teachers at RYB Kindergarten in Xintiandi...
China Pulls Out
All the Stops for
Nov 8, 2017 6:44 AM CST
China Pulls Out All the Stops for Trump Arrival
He received unusually lavish airport welcome
- China pulled out all the stops for President Trump's airport arrival in Beijing: honor guard, marching band, jumping children. The ceremony accompanying Trump's arrival Wednesday afternoon was elaborate even by China's lavish standards. Heads of state are usually given a low-key reception at the airport, with the...
Report: Bannon Secretly Met
With Top Chinese Official
Sep 22, 2017 11:20 AM CDT
Report: Bannon Secretly Met With Top Chinese Official
He was asked to talk about populism
- Steve Bannon, President Trump's former chief strategist, met secretly with "the second most powerful person in China" last week during a trip to Beijing, reports the
. Wang Qishan—second only to President Xi Jinping as anti-corruption tsar within China's Community Party—met with Bannon for...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Shooter's 'Death Note' Calls Out Walmart Workers
Man Solves 15-Year-Old Disneyland Riddle
Missing Cruise Passenger Turns Up Alive in Gulf Next Day
16-Mile Utah Hike Goes Horribly Wrong for Couple
Grammer: Here's Why 'Niles' Won't Be in Frasier Reboot
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.