Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Don't Ignore the Suffering
in America's Prisons
Sep 11, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Don't Ignore the Suffering in America's Prisons
Writing for 'Philly Inquirer,' Cheryl Smith slams 'soul-chilling inhumanity' toward incarcerated
- The Eighth and 14th Amendments are meant to prevent cruel and unusual punishment, as well as discrimination and unequal treatment—including for the incarcerated. But that's not what's being applied in America's prisons, Cheryl Smith writes for the
, where she lays out the "soul-chilling...
Inmates Struggle to Pay
for Prison Stay After Release
Aug 29, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Inmates Struggle to Pay for Prison Stay After Release
Suit battles Connecticut law that bills prisoners $249 per day
- Two decades after her release from prison, Teresa Beatty feels she is still being punished. When her mother died two years ago, the state of Connecticut put a lien on the Stamford home she and her siblings inherited. It said she owed $83,762 for her 2½-year imprisonment for...
Aug 24, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
US Keeps Over 40K in Solitary: Report
States pass or take up legislation to limit the practice
- American prisons are holding tens of thousands of inmates in solitary confinement—a practice much of the world calls a human rights violation and the United Nations considers torture. Between 41,000 and 48,000 men and women were being kept for an average of 22 hours a day, for...
Alabama's Plan for
$400M in COVID Relief
Sep 29, 2021 3:38 PM CDT
Alabama's Plan for $400M in COVID Relief Proves Contentious
Jerry Nadler asks Treasury to block plan to build 3 prisons, renovate 4 others
- Alabama lawmakers plan to use almost 20% of the state's federal pandemic relief money to build three new prisons and renovate four others. Lawmakers in the state, which has the highest COVID-19 death rate in the country, initiated a special session Monday to discuss the $1.3 billion plan,...
NY Governor Makes Move on
'Out of Control' Rikers Island
Sep 18, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
NY Governor Makes Move on 'Out of Control' Rikers Island
Kathy Hochul signs new legislation, releases 191 prisoners to relieve overcrowding
State lawmakers who'd lobbied New York's governor to address the overcrowding crisis at Rikers Island have seen results. Per CBS , Kathy Hochul on Friday signed the Less Is More Act and ordered 191 inmates, most with technical parole violations, to be released from the beleaguered prison complex....
One 'Vulnerable Community'
Isn't Prepared for Rising Temps
Aug 21, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
One 'Vulnerable Community' Isn't Prepared for Rising Temps
They're a particular threat for our incarcerated population
- A heat index—meaning how hot it feels—of 103 can cause heat stroke. In a piece for Fast Company , Kristin Toussaint explains that a 2014 study out of Texas found the heat index in Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) facilities could hit 149 degrees. "They’re built...
Cell Check Missed
May 28, 2021 1:34 PM CDT
Cell Check Missed Beheaded Inmate: IG Reports
Guards instead reported both California prisoners were alive
- It must have taken hours to decapitate and dissect the body of Luis Romero in his cell at California's Corcoran State Prison. But the guards, who were supposed to be checking the cells, didn't see anything. In fact, they reported that everyone was fine, according to two reports...
Navalny May Be in a
'Situation of a Slow Death'
Apr 7, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Navalny May Be in a 'Situation of a Slow Death'
So says Amnesty International
- Amnesty International is weighing in on Alexei Navalny's prison conditions, and it isn't pulling punches. "We have to do more," said Amnesty International Secretary General Agnes Callamard on Wednesday. "[They] have already attempted to kill him, they are now detaining him, and imposing prison conditions,...
NY Puts Kibosh on
'Inhumane' Prison Policy
Apr 1, 2021 9:49 AM CDT
NY Puts Kibosh on 'Inhumane' Prison Policy
New law will bar solitary confinement for more than 15 days in a row
- A prison policy labeled by many as "torture," "inhumane," and "counterproductive" is ending in New York state. On Wednesday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed into law the HALT Act , a measure that bars the use of solitary confinement for more than 15 days in a row...
18 Years in
Mar 25, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
He Survived 18 Years in Solitary Confinement
Ian Manuel pleads for end to juvenile solitary confinement
- Ian Manuel had just finished seventh grade when he shot a woman in the face during a robbery. It was "the act of a 13-year-old in crisis," Manuel writes in a
New York Times
op-ed, adding that the "cruel and unusual punishment" that followed did not fit...
Hit a New High
Dec 18, 2020 4:35 PM CST
Prison Infections Hit a New High
Infections among inmates have to be addressed before the pandemic can end, expert says
- One in every five state and federal prisoners in the US has tested positive for the coronavirus, a rate more than four times as high as the general population. In some states, more than half of prisoners have been infected, according to data collected by the AP and the Marshall...
4 Guards Face Prison
After Inmate's Beating
Jul 31, 2020 9:31 AM CDT
4 Guards Face Prison After Inmate's Beating
Alabama corrections officers are charged
- Four former corrections officers have been charged in the 2018 beating of an inmate in Alabama. A male prisoner was taken down by officers at the Bibb Correctional Facility in Brent, Ala., on Sept. 12, 2018, after running out of his cell. Jordan Thomas, Kevin Blaylock, and Sgt. Keith Finch...
Next Possible Epicenter for
Virus: America's Prisons
Mar 28, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Next Possible Epicenter for Virus: America's Prisons
Correctional facilities 'completely unequipped' to handle pandemic, one ex-NYC official says
- The next potential epicenter for America's coronavirus pandemic: prisons and jails, per health experts. They're little cities hidden behind tall fences where many people share cells, sit elbow-to-elbow in dining areas, and are herded through halls to the yard or prison industry jobs. They say it's nearly...
Jay-Z Sues Again: Life in
Miss. Prison Is 'Barbaric'
Feb 27, 2020 9:40 AM CST
Jay-Z Sues Again: Life in Miss. Prison Is 'Barbaric'
Suit describes 'nonexistent' health care, food tainted with rat feces at Parchman in Mississippi
- The reported last words of an inmate who died by suicide at Mississippi State Penitentiary last month were, "I'm tired of this s---. They don't care about me or my food." Now, 152 inmates are suing the state's only maximum-security prison for men, known as...
Girl Visiting Dad in Jail Had
to Do 'Traumatizing' Thing First
Dec 6, 2019 9:22 AM CST
Girl Visiting Dad in Jail Had to Do 'Traumatizing' Thing First
Civil rights activists are outraged 8-year-old was strip-searched at Virginia correctional facility
- An 8-year-old who visited her dad in a Virginia prison received an unpleasant surprise there that has civil rights activists outraged. The
reports on Nov. 24, the father's girlfriend, Diamond Peerman, took the girl to Buckingham Correctional Center in Dillwyn. Once there, a drug-sniffing dog focused on Peerman,...
Barr: DOJ Is 'All In' on
Releasing 2.2K Inmates
Jul 13, 2019 5:15 PM CDT
Barr: DOJ Is 'All In' on Releasing 2.2K Inmates
It marks a big policy turnaround for the AG
- Leroy Nolan has spent the last 26 years behind bars at a federal prison for a drug conviction. But what has become a decades-long routine for Nolan behind the barbed wire, steel gates, and concrete walls of FCI Edgefield, a prison in rural South Carolina, will all change on Friday...
Inside Prison's Stitched-Up
Rats, All This
Mar 28, 2019 1:15 PM CDT
Inside Prison's Stitched-Up Rats, All This
What a fun find in Dorset, England
- Those aiming to sneak contraband into a UK prison assumed guards wouldn't inspect dead rats. Too bad the guards at Guys March prison in Dorset, England, noticed stitches over the bellies of three animals, believed to have been thrown over a prison wall. Inside, reports Reuters , were five cellphones...
Last Island Penal Colony
in the Americas Is Closing
Feb 19, 2019 4:45 AM CST
Last Island Penal Colony in the Americas Is Closing
Mexico's Islas Marias will become a cultural center
- Mexico is closing its infamous Isla Marias prison, the last island penal colony in a hemisphere once dotted with remote island jails like the one depicted in the movie
. President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said Monday that Mexico will relocate about two-thirds of the 659 remaining inmates and free...
An 'Abrupt About-Face' for
Va. Prison Ban on Tampons
Sep 26, 2018 5:33 AM CDT
An 'Abrupt About-Face' for Va. Prison Ban on Tampons
Tampon, menstrual cup ban for inmate visitors has been suspended—for the moment
- Virginia is suspending a newly introduced policy that would have barred women who visit inmates at state prisons from using tampons or menstrual cups. Secretary of Public and Homeland Security Safety Brian Moran said Tuesday on Twitter that he'd ordered an "immediate suspension until further review." The...
Va. Prisons Issue New Rule
on Feminine Hygiene Products
Sep 25, 2018 1:11 AM CDT
Va. Prisons Issue New Rule on Feminine Hygiene Products
Female visitors will be banned from using tampons
- Women who visit inmates at Virginia prisons will be barred from wearing tampons or menstrual cups under a new policy stemming from concerns about contraband, the state Department of Corrections said Monday. A spokeswoman said the policy is aimed at preventing contraband like drugs from being smuggled into prisons. "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
It Was Worse Than the Titanic. You Likely Haven't Heard of It
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.