Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Old Stained Glass Window
Depicts Jesus in Unusual Light
May 14, 2023 6:50 AM CDT
Old Stained Glass Window Depicts Jesus in Unusual Light
His dark skin in 150-year-old Rhode Island window may have been sending a message
- A nearly 150-year-old stained-glass church window that depicts a dark-skinned Jesus Christ interacting with women in New Testament scenes has stirred up questions about race, Rhode Island's role in the slave trade, and the place of women in 19th century New England society. The window installed at the long-closed...
Archbishops: It's OK if
You're Single Like Jesus
Apr 28, 2023 8:53 AM CDT
Archbishops: It's OK if You're Single Like Jesus
Church of England issues report on families that calls to 'honor and celebrate" not being coupled up
- What would Jesus do if he were navigating today's high-tech dating world? He wouldn't necessarily swipe right on anyone, and that's OK, per the Church of England, which is now using the world's most well-known bachelor to assure singles in the UK that they're fine...
Real-Life Crucifixions Are Back
After 3-Year COVID Pause
Apr 7, 2023 9:06 AM CDT
Real-Life Crucifixions Are Back After 3-Year COVID Pause
Church frowns on Good Friday reenactment of Jesus' suffering, but it's tradition in Philippines
- Eight Filipinos were nailed to crosses to reenact Jesus Christ's suffering in a gory Good Friday tradition that draws thousands of devotees and tourists to the Philippines, despite the practice being rejected by the Catholic Church. The real-life crucifixions in the farming village of San Pedro Cutud in Pampanga...
Pastor Dies Trying to
Recreate Jesus' 40-Day Fast
Feb 17, 2023 2:10 AM CST
Pastor Dies Trying to Recreate Jesus' 40-Day Fast
Francisco Barajah was 39
- A pastor in Mozambique died during a fast that he intended to last for 40 days—the length of time Jesus is said to have fasted after his baptism. Francisco Barajah reportedly consumed neither food nor water during that period, though the Daily Beast sees the water part as unlikely,...
They Used to Come
to 'Salome Cave' to
Pray. Now, a Big Dig
Dec 20, 2022 10:05 AM CST
They Used to Come to 'Salome Cave' to Pray. Now, a Big Dig
Inside the 2,000-year-old burial cave said to be for Jesus' midwife: lots of beautiful oil lamps
- An ancient tomb traditionally associated with Jesus' midwife is being excavated anew by archaeologists in the hills southwest of Jerusalem, Israel's antiquities authority said Tuesday. The intricately decorated Jewish burial cave complex dates to around the first century AD, but it was later associated by local Christians with Salome,...
in Surprising Way
Jul 21, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Art World's 'Indiana Jones' Recovers Relic in Surprising Way
Anonymous person gave to Arthur Brand stolen vials said to hold blood of Christ
- Thieves were inconspicuously locked inside a French church on the evening of June 1. According to police, they burst out the next morning with one of the most cherished Christian relics: two lead vials containing pieces of linen said to be covered in the blood of Jesus Christ—collected in...
Artifact' Found at
Apr 14, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
'Really Amazing Artifact' Found at Jesus' Supposed Crucifixion Site
Medieval altar would've stood at apex of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
- A medieval altar, apparently long forgotten, has been rediscovered at the supposed site of Jesus Christ's crucifixion. Recent excavations on Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the site where many Christians believe Jesus was crucified , buried, and resurrected, revealed a large stone slab, "pressed against a wall...
Belonged to One of
the First Christians
Dec 22, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Shipwreck Ring Belonged to One of the First Christians
Ring inscribed with 'Good Shepherd' among Roman-era treasures found off Israel
- A gold ring belonging to one of the first Christians is among the treasures pulled from a Roman-era shipwreck off Israel, researchers say. Also discovered in the wreck off the ancient port of Caesarea is a bronze eagle figurine, bells meant to keep evil spirits at bay, various pottery, and...
Slick Series About Jesus
Upends Crowdfunding Strategy
Nov 30, 2021 9:50 AM CST
Slick Series About Jesus Upends Crowdfunding Strategy
'The Chosen' is breaking new ground on that front, reports the 'Wall Street Journal'
- Like any Hollywood-esque production depicting Jesus' Sermon on the Mount,
needed plenty of extras for the scene. The twist here: In this case, the extras actually paid for the privilege, with most shelling out at least $1,000 each. Welcome to the unusual—and successful—production model of...
Bones Cast 'Rare Flicker
of Light' on Early Christianity
Feb 16, 2021 3:43 PM CST
Bones Cast 'Rare Flicker of Light' on Early Christianity
But they do not belong to St. James the Younger as long thought
- It appears Rome's Santi Apostoli church doesn't have the bones of two of Jesus' 12 apostles after all—but perhaps it does have one. LiveScience reports the church has since the 6th century believed it possessed remains belonging to St. James the Younger and St. Philip. A study...
Netflix Ordered to Pull
Film About Gay Jesus
Jan 9, 2020 9:55 AM CST
Netflix Ordered to Pull Film About Gay Jesus
Brazilian judge says 'freedom of expression ... is not absolute'
- A Brazilian judge has ordered Netflix to remove a film depicting Jesus Christ with a boyfriend.
The First Temptation of Christ
, released as a Christmas special, caused such fury among Brazil's conservative Christians that 2 million signed a petition calling for its removal, while a group lobbed firebombs at...
'Original' Jesus Relic
Arrives in Bethlehem
Nov 30, 2019 4:50 PM CST
'Original' Jesus Relic Arrives in Bethlehem
The pope returns it, 1,400 years later
- A tiny wooden relic that some Christians believe to be part of Jesus' manger arrived Saturday in its permanent home in the biblical city of Bethlehem 1,400 years after it was sent to Rome as a gift to the pope, the AP reports. Sheathed in an ornate case, the...
It Was Hanging
in Her Kitchen.
She Found Out It's
in case you missed it
Sep 28, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
It Was Hanging in Her Kitchen. She Found Out It's Worth Millions
Elderly French woman's 'Christ Mocked' by Renaissance painter Cimabue could go for $6.6M
- An elderly French woman had the painting hanging above a hot plate in her kitchen, thinking it was just an old piece of art. When she finally got curious enough to get it appraised, she found out it was indeed old—and extremely valuable. That's because, per an old-masters...
Dating of Turin Shroud to
Middle Ages Was Flawed
Jul 24, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Dating of Turin Shroud to Middle Ages Was Flawed
Study offers new hope for believers
- Whether the Shroud of Turin served as Jesus' actual burial cloth has long been debated —and a new study, while not weighing in one way or the other, is likely to keep that debate raging. Researchers reanalyzed data compiled in 1988, when experts at the University of Arizona, Oxford...
Steve King Can Now Relate:
I Get What Jesus Went Through
Apr 24, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Steve King Can Now Relate: I Get What Jesus Went Through
Iowa congressman compared House censure for racist remarks to what Christ endured
- If there's anyone who can relate to what Jesus went through, it's ... Steve King? Definitely, according to Steve King. Per Politico and CNN , the GOP Iowa congressman— recently censured by his colleagues in the House and stripped of committee assignments for racist remarks—attended a town hall Tuesday...
'New' Da Vinci Work Is Unveiled
Mar 10, 2019 3:38 PM CDT
'New' Da Vinci Work Is Unveiled
It's called 'The Virgin with the Laughing Child'
- A smile, a laugh, a few folds, and presto—you have the only existing sculpture by Leonardo da Vinci. That's pretty much the takeaway after
The Virgin with the Laughing Child
was presented this week at an exhibition in Florence, NPR reports. An Italian academic and a Leonardo scholar...
2nd Coming of
Go Over Well
Feb 20, 2019 2:34 PM CST
Comic About 2nd Coming of Jesus Doesn't Go Over Well
DC Comics cancels plans for 'Second Coming' after backlash
- Picture this: Jesus Christ returns for his prophesied second coming, and ends up a superhero's sidekick so that he can carry out his "most holy mission by God" and "learn what it takes to be the true messiah." If that sounds like an entertaining romp to...
Dec 13, 2018 8:56 AM CST
LDS Church Supporters Cry 'Blasphemy' Over
Promo looks strikingly like painting of Jesus commissioned by the church
Once Upon a Deadpool
opened nationwide Wednesday, and while it's earning tepid reviews , its promo poster is drawing more heated reaction. Who's hot about it: supporters of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which boasts a painting that looks to be the inspiration for the
Jesus Christ Writes to Oprah
Mar 18, 2018 6:33 AM CDT
Jesus Christ Writes to Oprah
Jesus Christ of Maine, that is
- A letter from Jesus Christ might be the affirmation Oprah Winfrey needs to run for the presidency, reports the AP . An 83-year-old Maine woman who changed her name to Jesus Christ says she began a letter writing campaign 50 years ago to spread a message of faith and peace, WGME-TV...
Restorers Surprised by What
They Found in Jesus' Butt
Dec 6, 2017 2:26 PM CST
Restorers Surprised by What They Found in Jesus' Butt
Statue's posterior contains 240-year-old time capsule
- It turns out Jesus' butt has a lot to teach us about life in 18th century Spain. A wooden statue of Jesus on the cross hanging in the Church of Santa Agueda in Sotillo de la Ribera, Spain, was old and in need of fixing up, Science Alert reports. According...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Thanks to Taylor Swift, Heinz Selling 'Ketchup and Seemingly Ranch'
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.