Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
International Women's Day
How Women Are
Marking March 8
Mar 8, 2023 12:26 PM CST
How Women Are Marking March 8
There are International Women's Day celebrations and protests alike
- March 8 has been set aside by the United Nations as International Women's Day since 1977, and 46 years later, the AP reports that it appears to be holding strong. This year, women around the globe are variously noting advances, setbacks, and repression. Here, a look in words and...
Formally Apologizes to
Mar 8, 2022 6:03 PM CST
Scottish Leader Formally Apologizes to Executed 'Witches'
Nicola Sturgeon calls centuries of persecution 'injustice on a colossal scale'
- On International Women's Day, Scotland's leader offered a formal apology to the thousands of people, almost all of them women, who were convicted of witchcraft in previous centuries. Sturgeon described the persecution and execution of the alleged witches as "injustice on a colossal scale, driven at least...
Burger King Apologizes Over
Tweet About Women's Place
Mar 8, 2021 6:00 PM CST
Burger King Apologizes Over Tweet About Women's Place
Similar message appears in the US on International Women's Day
- Burger King UK says its tweet on International Women's Day was misunderstood. "Women belong in the kitchen," said the Monday tweet, which has since been taken down. A followup tweet added context: "If they want to, of course. Yet only 20% of chefs are women. We'...
Explosives Go Off
on Women's Day
Mar 8, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Explosives Go Off on Women's Day
'They kill us, they rape us and nobody does anything,' chant women in Chile
- From the streets of Manila to a school in East London, people around the world marked International Women’s Day on Sunday with calls to end exploitation and increase equality. But tensions marred some celebrations, with police arresting demonstrators at a rally in Kyrgyzstan and separatists detonating a bomb during...
Mar 10, 2018 9:10 AM CST
Jessica Chastain Gives Random Woman $2K
They didn't even agree on politics
- Jessica Chastain celebrated International Women's Day by donating $2,000 to a woman who was apparently in need , reports ABC News . The
actor had engaged in an Instagram exchange with Karin Schulz, who said she was short of money for a fertility treatment. The two didn'...
Mar 10, 2018 7:00 AM CST
Teri Hatcher Denies She's Broke and Homeless
Former 'Desperate Housewives' star stands up to tabloid
- Teri Hatcher says she's standing up to tabloid bullies. The former
actor denies that she's homeless, penniless, and living in a van, despite a report in
magazine to that effect,
reports. "On the cover yesterday [
magazine has] an article that says exactly...
on Women's Day 2018
Mar 8, 2018 10:10 AM CST
Branding Misfires on Women's Day 2018
McDonald's, Mattel come under criticism, and Spain's women go on strike
- Thursday is International Women's Day, an annual event getting more attention than usual in 2018 because it's the first in the wake of the #MeToo movement. As expected, brands ( including McDonald's ) are looking to capitalize, though critics are calling out examples of perceived misfires. Here'...
a Little Weird
Mar 8, 2018 5:21 AM CST
McDonald's Arches Look a Little Weird Today
Chain flips them online to honor women, and at one actual restaurant
- If you happen to come across any McDonald's ads online Thursday or visit the company website , one thing will look a little odd—the iconic arches will be flipped to form a W instead of an M. The reason? To honor International Women's Day, reports CNN . In fact,...
13 Detained at Trump Tower
'Day Without a Woman' March
Mar 8, 2017 6:11 PM CST
13 Detained at Trump Tower 'Day Without a Woman' March
NYPD says women are in custody, but no charges at this point
- Thirteen women were detained while taking part in a "Day Without a Woman" march outside New York's Trump International Hotel and Tower, the NYPD says. The department wouldn't identify who was detained and wouldn't classify the detentions as arrests, though the women are in custody, CNN...
Mar 8, 2017 3:47 PM CST
'Day Without a Woman' Hits US
Many women are on strike
- It's International Women's Day, and many women are staying home from work, refusing to buy anything, and attending rallies dressed in red as part of the "Day Without a Woman" protest in the US. Organizers of the women's marches that were held after President Trump's...
Female Workers Should
Check Out These Countries
Mar 8, 2017 12:07 PM CST
Female Workers Should Check Out These Countries
Get thee to the Nordic nations
- International Women's Day means global protests , "defiant" statues , and examining which countries are the best ones to work in if you're female. The
looks at the latter via its "glass ceiling index," which merges data on higher education, child care expenses, and salary, among...
Bull Has 'Defiant'
Mar 8, 2017 8:47 AM CST
Wall Street's Famous Bronze Bull Has 'Defiant' New Frenemy
'Fearless Girl' installed by investment firm in the name of corporate gender diversity
- Wednesday is International Women's Day, as well as the International Women's Strike and "A Day Without a Woman," and one bronzed young lady isn't taking any bull when it comes to celebrating them. A New York City firm erected a statue of what Business Insider...
What to Expect During
'Day Without a Woman'
Mar 7, 2017 11:18 AM CST
What to Expect During 'Day Without a Woman'
Some schools are closing for Wednesday's protest
- International Women's Day is March 8, and coinciding with the occasion this year is another event that's prompting some schools to close for the day. BuzzFeed reports that hundreds of teachers in North Carolina and Virginia indicated they'd be absent for Wednesday's "Day Without a...
Women's March Organizers
Announce Date of General Strike
Feb 15, 2017 3:47 PM CST
Women's March Organizers Announce Date of General Strike
The action for gender equality takes place on International Women's Day
- An estimated 2.6 million people worldwide took part in the Women's March on Washington and its sister marches last month, Bustle reports. Now the organizers of that event are hoping similar numbers will stay home—or at least not show up to work. According to an announcement Tuesday,...
Best, Worst Places
to Be Female
Mar 4, 2012 2:48 PM CST
Best, Worst Places to Be Female
Iceland, Rwanda, and Norway top the Independent's 'best' list
- With International Women's Day coming up Thursday, should we weep or rejoice? While British women will likely face 14 more elections before women equal men in Parliament, women in Qatar are far more likely to attend university than men. That said, the
picked its best and worse nations...
Women Gather to Promote Peace
Mar 7, 2008 2:54 PM CST
Women Gather to Promote Peace
Reps from 45 nations discuss using 'compassion' against war
- Female community leaders from 45 nations—many of them embroiled in conflicts—are meeting at a unique week-long peace conference in India called "Making Way for the Feminine." The participants represent a religiously diverse group seeking ways for women to play a more prominent role in resolving conflicts...
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Elusive Tire Slasher Turned Out to Be a Dog
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.