Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pfizer Offers Update on
Shots for Kids Under 5
May 23, 2022 8:31 AM CDT
Pfizer Offers Update on Shots for Kids Under 5
Preliminary data suggest 3 shots offer strong protection for the youngest patients
- Three doses of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine offer strong protection for children younger than 5, the company announced Monday. Pfizer plans to give the data to US regulators later this week in a step toward letting the littlest kids get the shots. The news comes after months of anxious waiting...
Get a Booster
May 19, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
CDC: Children 5-11 Should Get a Booster
Rise in coronavirus cases prompts advisers' decision
This file has been updated throughout with the CDC's decision.
Children ages 5 to 11 should get a booster dose of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine, the Centers for Disease Control announced Thursday. An advisory panel had made the recommendation earlier in the day. The move opens a third...
Pfizer Wants FDA to OK
Boosters for 5- to 11-Year-Olds
Apr 14, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
Pfizer Wants FDA to OK Boosters for 5- to 11-Year-Olds
3rd dose among this set appears to offer significant antibody boost, even against omicron
- Pfizer said Thursday it wants to expand its COVID-19 booster shots to healthy elementary-age kids. US health authorities already urge everyone 12 and older to get one booster dose for the best protection against the newest variants—and recently gave the option of a second booster to those 50 and...
Says 4th Dose
Mar 16, 2022 12:44 AM CDT
Pfizer CEO Says 4th Dose 'Is Necessary'
But he's hoping company will soon have a shot that works against all variants
Pfizer, along with its partner BioNTech, on Tuesday asked US regulators to authorize an additional COVID vaccine booster for seniors. The pharmaceutical company says data from Israel as well as an ongoing study of healthcare workers suggest those 65 and older would benefit from a fourth dose, the AP...
Pfizer Seeks Approval for
Vaccine for Kids Under 5
Feb 1, 2022 5:16 PM CST
Pfizer Seeks Approval for Vaccine for Kids Under 5
Regulator urged company to apply earlier than planned
- Pfizer on Tuesday asked the US to authorize extra-low doses of its COVID-19 vaccine for children under 5, potentially opening the way for the very youngest Americans to start receiving shots as early as March. In an extraordinary move, the Food and Drug Administration had urged Pfizer and its partner...
Trials Are Now Underway
Jan 27, 2022 6:22 AM CST
Omicron-Specific Booster Trials Are Now Underway
Moderna cites 'long-term threat demonstrated by omicron's immune escape'
- The first participant has received a shot in Moderna's Phase 2 clinical trial of an omicron-specific vaccine booster. Moderna, which made the announcement Wednesday, expects to enroll 600 adults in the US study, including some who have already received a booster shot, per Reuters . "We are reassured by...
'Lot of Infections'
From Omicron After
4th Dose: Trial
Jan 18, 2022 7:27 AM CST
'Lot of Infections' From Omicron After 4th Dose: Trial
In preliminary study from Israel, the first of its kind, antibodies rise after 2nd booster, infections persist
- Preliminary results are in on a clinical trial testing the efficacy of a fourth COVID shot, the world's first, and when it comes to omicron, that booster isn't doing the job researchers had hoped for. The
Times of Israel
reports that, in a study that began last month...
Pfizer Stock Drops
for 2nd Day in a Row
Jan 4, 2022 3:51 PM CST
Pfizer Stock Drops for 2nd Day in a Row
Health, tech stocks dragged down S&P 500 but Dow hit a new record high
- Slumping technology stocks left the S&P 500 slightly lower on Wall Street Tuesday, even as the Dow Jones Industrial Average of 30 blue-chip companies marked another record high. Microsoft, Apple, and major chipmakers like Nvidia sank while banks and other sectors rose. Bond yields continued to climb. The yield...
FDA: Fine to Get Booster
After Just 5 Months
Jan 3, 2022 9:35 AM CST
FDA: Fine to Get Booster After Just 5 Months
It also now recommends boosters for kids 12 to 15
- The US is expanding COVID-19 boosters as it confronts the omicron surge, with the FDA allowing extra Pfizer shots for children as young as 12. Boosters already are recommended for everyone 16 and older, and federal regulators on Monday decided they're also warranted for 12- to 15-year-olds once enough...
FDA Approves First COVID Pill
Dec 22, 2021 12:47 PM CST
FDA Approves First COVID Pill
Regulators call Pfizer's Paxlovid pill a 'major step forward' in fight against pandemic
: The FDA has approved the first pill to treat COVID-19 at home—and not a moment too soon. Pfizer's Paxlovid antiviral pill was initially seen as an extra drug in the anti-COVID arsenal, but with cases surging and antibody treatments not working against the omicron variant, the pills...
Dec 20, 2021 8:33 AM CST
Good News on Moderna Booster
Early lab results suggests third shot provides significant protection against omicron
- Lab results from Moderna add to health officials' chorus on omicron: Get a booster. The company said Monday that preliminary results suggests a third shot of its vaccine provides significant protection against the new variant. The usual half-dose booster raised antibody levels 37-fold, while a full-dose booster—typically given to...
Get Pfizer or
Dec 17, 2021 2:51 AM CST
CDC: Get Pfizer or Moderna, Not J&J
CDC makes official new recommendation
The CDC is now officially taking the stance that that "mRNA vaccines are preferred over [Johnson & Johnson's] Janssen COVID-19 vaccine for the prevention of COVID-19 for those 18 years of age and over." Within hours of a panel making that recommendation, the CDC director accepted...
Dec 9, 2021 11:15 AM CST
FDA Approves Boosters for Some Teens
Specifically, those aged 16 and 17; CDC decision is pending
- The US is expanding COVID-19 boosters, ruling that 16- and 17-year-olds can get a third dose of Pfizer’s vaccine, per the AP . The US and many other nations already were urging adults to get booster shots to pump up immunity that can wane months after vaccination, calls that intensified...
Dec 8, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Here's How Pfizer's Vaccine Fares Against Omicron
3 doses 'offer a sufficient level of protection from disease of any severity'
- Two doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine may be enough to prevent serious illness with the omicron variant, but may not be enough to prevent an infection, the companies said Wednesday. However, "preliminary laboratory studies demonstrate that three doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine neutralize the omicron variant,"...
BioNTech Founder: Omicron
Unlikely to Cause Severe Cases
Nov 30, 2021 11:36 AM CST
BioNTech Founder: Omicron Unlikely to Cause Severe Cases
Ugur Sahin says vaccinated people should have protection against new variant
- The seesawing of sentiment on the omicron variant continues. The co-founder of BioNTech, the company that partnered with Pfizer on a COVID vaccine, has weighed in with comments that are relatively optimistic. Ugur Sahin tells the
Wall Street Journal
that the company's existing vaccine should prevent serious illness among...
One Potential COVID Treatment
Not as Potent as Hoped
Nov 26, 2021 2:26 PM CST
One Potential COVID Treatment Not as Potent as Hoped
Merck's pill, awaiting FDA review, is less effective than preliminary tests suggested
- The COVID virus keeps mutating , and drugmakers are racing to adapt along with it. But on that front, Merck reported some relatively disappointing news about a pill under development—molnupiravir turns out to be 30% effective at reducing hospitalizations and deaths, which is down from preliminary estimates of 50%, reports...
FDA Wants FOI Request on
Vaccine to Wait—for 55 Years
Nov 19, 2021 3:35 PM CST
FDA Wants FOI Request on Vaccine to Wait—for 55 Years
Experts want to see information used in approving Pfizer's product
- The experts who have filed a Freedom of Information request to see government data on the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine might have to hand the issue down to the next generation—at least—of scientists and professors. The Food and Drug Administration has asked a judge to not force the documents'...
Kids 5-11 Getting Vaccinated
3 Times Faster Than Adults Did
Nov 18, 2021 4:04 AM CST
Kids 5-11 Getting Vaccinated 3 Times Faster Than Adults Did
White House says 10% of kids now have had shots
- The White House says about 10% of eligible kids aged 5 to 11 have received a dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine since its approval for their age group two weeks ago. At least 2.6 million kids have received a shot, White House COVID-19 coordinator Jeff Zients said Wednesday,...
Deal Will Bring Pfizer's
COVID Pill to Half the World
Nov 16, 2021 3:02 PM CST
Deal Will Bring Pfizer's COVID Pill to Half the World
Drug-maker will let others make the pill so it can be sold cheaply in poorer countries
- Pfizer is teaming up with Medicines Patent Pool, a nonprofit based in Geneva and backed by the UN, to bring its new COVID pill to poorer countries. They’ll work with about a dozen manufacturers of generic drugs to bring affordable access to the pill, once it's approved, to...
2 More Conglomerates
Are Breaking Up
Nov 12, 2021 9:43 AM CST
2 More Conglomerates Are Breaking Up
J&J, Toshiba announce plans to separate their businesses in coming years
- Johnson & Johnson plans to split into two publicly traded companies. And in case you're wondering, no, they won't be called "Johnson I" and "Johnson II." Johnson & Johnson will keep its name and its title as the world's largest health-products company by sales...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
All the Uvalde Victims Were in One 4th-Grade Classroom
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.