Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Tornado Hit on Pfizer Plant
Could Cause Drug Shortages
Jul 20, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
Tornado Hit on Pfizer Plant Could Cause Drug Shortages
North Carolina facility made 25% of sterile injectable medication used in US hospitals
- A tornado that did serious damage to a Pfizer plant in Rocky Mount, North Carolina, on Wednesday has probably worsened America's nationwide drug shortage, Bloomberg reports. The tornado ripped off the pharmaceutical plant's roof, and the county sheriff said 50,000 pallets of medicine were damaged. According to...
Pfizer Says It's
Running Out of
Jun 16, 2023 8:21 AM CDT
Pfizer Says It's Running Out of Penicillin Products
Company blames 'complex combination of factors' including rise in syphilis infections
- In the early days of penicillin use, the antibiotic was so scarce that scientists recycled it from patients' urine . The current situation is nowhere near as desperate, but Pfizer says it is dealing with a shortage and inventory of some items probably won't recover until the middle of next...
We're Not Far From a
Lyme Disease Vaccine
Apr 25, 2023 8:53 AM CDT
We're Not Far From a Lyme Disease Vaccine
As cases rise, Pfizer and Moderna focus attention on fighting tick-borne bacteria
- There hasn't been a human vaccine for Lyme disease on the market in the US for 20 years, but that could change in as little as two years. Pfizer and Valneva have begun late-stage clinical trials on their vaccine candidate, VLA15, and say it could be ready for approval...
Pfizer Buys 'Goose That Is
Laying the Golden Eggs'
Mar 14, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
Pfizer Buys 'Goose That Is Laying the Golden Eggs'
It will acquire cancer biotech firm Seagen, which specializes in ADC treatments, for $43M
- It's not Pfizer's priciest acquisition by a long shot , but the numbers are staggering anyway: The pharma giant will pay $43 billion in cash for Seagen, a cancer biotech company that has yet to be profitable. What you need to know:
What Seagen does.
The Washington-based company uses
Migraine Sufferers May Soon
Have Their Very Own 'EpiPen'
Mar 10, 2023 10:48 AM CST
Migraine Sufferers May Soon Have Their Very Own 'EpiPen'
FDA approves zavegepant, or Zavzpret, a fast-acting nasal spray designed to provide pain relief
- A new nasal spray from Pfizer has just been OKed by the Food and Drug Administration, and the company hopes it will be a game changer for the nearly 40 million migraine sufferers in the US. Reuters reports on the FDA's Friday approval of zavegepant, sold under the brand...
Oct 21, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
Pfizer Sets Future Price for COVID Vaccine
Figure up to $130 per dose
- Pfizer will charge $110 to $130 for a dose of its COVID-19 vaccine once the US government stops buying the shots, but the drugmaker says it expects many people will continue receiving it for free. Pfizer executives said the commercial pricing for adult doses could start early next year, depending...
FDA Clears Bivalent COVID
Boosters for Kids 5 and Up
Oct 12, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
FDA Clears Bivalent COVID Boosters for Kids 5 and Up
The CDC now has to sign off
- The US on Wednesday authorized updated COVID-19 boosters for children as young as 5, seeking to expand protection ahead of an expected winter wave. Tweaked boosters rolled out for Americans 12 and older last month, doses modified to target today's most common and contagious omicron relative. While there wasn'...
Moderna Sues Pfizer
Over COVID Vaccine
Aug 26, 2022 8:49 AM CDT
Moderna Sues Pfizer Over COVID Vaccine
Company sues rival, alleging patent infringement on mRNA technology
- The biggest names in COVID vaccines are now embroiled in a legal fight. Moderna sued Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech on Friday, alleging patent infringement over the technology used to make the COVID shots, reports the Verge . Moderna accused its rivals of essentially stealing the mRNA technology it developed...
Wait for the Next Booster,
Officials Tell Adults Under 50
Jul 29, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Wait for the Next Booster, Officials Tell Adults Under 50
Moderna, Pfizer assure government updated omicron version will be ready for fall
- Federal health officials have decided against approving a second booster shot of the coronavirus vaccine this summer for adults under 50, because a retooled version is so close to being ready. Pfizer and Moderna have assured the government their new boosters will be rolled out no later than September, the...
FDA Advisers Endorse
Vaccines Starting at 6 Months
Jun 15, 2022 6:30 PM CDT
FDA Advisers Endorse Vaccines Starting at 6 Months
Age group is the only one without access to COVID vaccines in US
- COVID-19 shots for US infants, toddlers, and preschoolers moved a step closer to reality on Wednesday. The Food and Drug Administration's vaccine advisers gave a thumbs-up to vaccines from Moderna and Pfizer for the littlest kids. The outside experts voted unanimously that the benefits of the shots outweigh any...
Pfizer Shots for
Kids Under 5
Jun 13, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
FDA Posts Analysis of Pfizer Shots for Kids Under 5
Says the kid-sized dose appears to be safe and effective
The FDA on Sunday posted its analysis of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine for children under age 5, announcing that the kid-sized doses do appear to be safe and effective. The agency posted a similar analysis of Moderna's vaccine for the youngest age group last week. Next up: Wednesday'...
Pfizer Offers Update on
Shots for Kids Under 5
May 23, 2022 8:31 AM CDT
Pfizer Offers Update on Shots for Kids Under 5
Preliminary data suggest 3 shots offer strong protection for the youngest patients
- Three doses of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine offer strong protection for children younger than 5, the company announced Monday. Pfizer plans to give the data to US regulators later this week in a step toward letting the littlest kids get the shots. The news comes after months of anxious waiting...
Get a Booster
May 19, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
CDC: Children 5-11 Should Get a Booster
Rise in coronavirus cases prompts advisers' decision
This file has been updated throughout with the CDC's decision.
Children ages 5 to 11 should get a booster dose of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine, the Centers for Disease Control announced Thursday. An advisory panel had made the recommendation earlier in the day. The move opens a third...
Pfizer Wants FDA to OK
Boosters for 5- to 11-Year-Olds
Apr 14, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
Pfizer Wants FDA to OK Boosters for 5- to 11-Year-Olds
3rd dose among this set appears to offer significant antibody boost, even against omicron
- Pfizer said Thursday it wants to expand its COVID-19 booster shots to healthy elementary-age kids. US health authorities already urge everyone 12 and older to get one booster dose for the best protection against the newest variants—and recently gave the option of a second booster to those 50 and...
Says 4th Dose
Mar 16, 2022 12:44 AM CDT
Pfizer CEO Says 4th Dose 'Is Necessary'
But he's hoping company will soon have a shot that works against all variants
Pfizer, along with its partner BioNTech, on Tuesday asked US regulators to authorize an additional COVID vaccine booster for seniors. The pharmaceutical company says data from Israel as well as an ongoing study of healthcare workers suggest those 65 and older would benefit from a fourth dose, the AP...
Pfizer Seeks Approval for
Vaccine for Kids Under 5
Feb 1, 2022 5:16 PM CST
Pfizer Seeks Approval for Vaccine for Kids Under 5
Regulator urged company to apply earlier than planned
- Pfizer on Tuesday asked the US to authorize extra-low doses of its COVID-19 vaccine for children under 5, potentially opening the way for the very youngest Americans to start receiving shots as early as March. In an extraordinary move, the Food and Drug Administration had urged Pfizer and its partner...
Trials Are Now Underway
Jan 27, 2022 6:22 AM CST
Omicron-Specific Booster Trials Are Now Underway
Moderna cites 'long-term threat demonstrated by omicron's immune escape'
- The first participant has received a shot in Moderna's Phase 2 clinical trial of an omicron-specific vaccine booster. Moderna, which made the announcement Wednesday, expects to enroll 600 adults in the US study, including some who have already received a booster shot, per Reuters . "We are reassured by...
'Lot of Infections'
From Omicron After
4th Dose: Trial
Jan 18, 2022 7:27 AM CST
'Lot of Infections' From Omicron After 4th Dose: Trial
In preliminary study from Israel, the first of its kind, antibodies rise after 2nd booster, infections persist
- Preliminary results are in on a clinical trial testing the efficacy of a fourth COVID shot, the world's first, and when it comes to omicron, that booster isn't doing the job researchers had hoped for. The
Times of Israel
reports that, in a study that began last month...
Pfizer Stock Drops
for 2nd Day in a Row
Jan 4, 2022 3:51 PM CST
Pfizer Stock Drops for 2nd Day in a Row
Health, tech stocks dragged down S&P 500 but Dow hit a new record high
- Slumping technology stocks left the S&P 500 slightly lower on Wall Street Tuesday, even as the Dow Jones Industrial Average of 30 blue-chip companies marked another record high. Microsoft, Apple, and major chipmakers like Nvidia sank while banks and other sectors rose. Bond yields continued to climb. The yield...
FDA: Fine to Get Booster
After Just 5 Months
Jan 3, 2022 9:35 AM CST
FDA: Fine to Get Booster After Just 5 Months
It also now recommends boosters for kids 12 to 15
- The US is expanding COVID-19 boosters as it confronts the omicron surge, with the FDA allowing extra Pfizer shots for children as young as 12. Boosters already are recommended for everyone 16 and older, and federal regulators on Monday decided they're also warranted for 12- to 15-year-olds once enough...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
'There Has to Be Consequences' for Kevin McCarthy's Ouster
Dad of 3 Killed on His Way to His High School Reunion
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.