Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Zoo's Tiny Star Attraction Goes Missing
German zoo says baby albino kangaroo might have been stolen
- A tiny albino baby kangaroo has gone missing from a German zoo and authorities said Friday it's possible she may have been stolen, per the AP . The kangaroo named Mila was born last month at the Kaiserslautern zoo in southwestern Germany and has been a star attraction. She was...
Florida Cops Have a Really Strange Chase
They capture a runaway kangaroo in Fort Lauderdale
- Police in Fort Lauderdale had quite the day Thursday after getting a call about an unlikely escapee. WPLG reports that for 30 minutes or so, cops were in hot pursuit of a kangaroo that escaped from a local home. "I'm trying to catch a kangaroo!" one cop...
Australia Air-Drops Food for Struggling Wildlife
'Operation Rock Wallaby' aids endangered species
- Australian wildlife struggling to survive in the aftermath of devastating wildfires are getting some help from above. Thousands of pounds of sweet potatoes and carrots have been dropped from helicopters by national park staff as part of Operation Rock Wallaby in New South Wales, 9News reports. The brush-tailed rock wallaby...
500M Animals Feared Dead in Australia Fires
'Our concern is that ... they're not there anymore, basically'
- Those devastated to learn of the likely deaths of thousands of koalas in Australia's wildfires should take a deep breath. Ecologists from the University of Sydney now estimate some 480 million animals have been killed since September, per News.com.au . The outlet notes the figure is "likely...
Kangaroo Chili Not a Good Career Move for School Cook
Nebraska officials have no appetite for exotic meat, and Kevin Frei is out of a job
- Kevin Frei tossed a little kangaroo meat into his pot of chili—harmlessly, he thought. You're reading about the lunch he was making on Oct. 10 because it was for the junior and senior high school students at Nebraska's Potter-Dix Public Schools, reports WUSA9 , and Frei has since...
Aussie Kangaroos in Bloody Quest for Fast Food
Humans are the unfortunate victims in New South Wales
- Perhaps this is revenge for a kangaroo's tourist-related death at a zoo in China. Wild kangaroos known to frequent the grounds of a psychiatric hospital near Lake Macquarie on Australia's east coast have been attacking some of the 3,000 tourists who visit each week, drawing warnings from...
Zoo Kangaroo Killed, One Injured Thanks to Terrible, Bored Visitors
Zoo patrons threw bricks, other objects to get marsupials to move around more
- One kangaroo is dead and another is injured after visitors at a Chinese zoo hurled rocks and other objects at them in two separate incidents. The
reports the first pelting happened at the end of February (though
says it happened in early April), when gawkers decided...
Cops: Man Killed Kangaroo in 'Abhorrent' Video
Melbourne man could get 2 years in jail
- A Melbourne resident has been arrested for what environmental officials say was a "particularly abhorrent" case of animal cruelty. In a video viewed millions of times on the Chinese social media service QQ, the man can be seen using a hunting knife to kill a wounded Eastern gray kangaroo...
Comedian in Hot Water After Kangaroo Stunt
Things got out of hand, Mike Epps says
- Not a good idea: bringing a kangaroo onstage for your comedy show and manhandling it. Mike Epps danced around onstage with a kangaroo during a show Friday night in Detroit; video of the incident shows another man on stage picking the animal up and carrying it around, the AP reports,...
Study Suggests Moms Take Preemies Out of the Incubator
Is kangaroo care better for kids, or are parents who do it simply better parents?
- The age-old practice of mothers holding their naked newborns to their skin and nursing them appears to benefit children—specifically those who were born premature or small—two decades later. Researchers at the Kangaroo Foundation in Bogota, Colombia, revisited a group of preemies who were studied in the mid-1990s and...
Story Behind Man Punching Kangaroo Is 'Intense'
And perhaps not what it seems
- Did a now-viral video of a man punching a kangaroo come out of Australia? Yes, of course. Should we be judging him for it? It depends on how you feel about dogs. The video, which has amassed more than 4.1 million views so far, was first posted on Facebook...
Cyclist: Kangaroo Ruptured My Breast Implants
Sharon Heinrich, 45, says she and pal were both hurt
- A woman says she and a friend were injured when they were jumped by a kangaroo while cycling in an Australian wine region, the AP reports. Sharon Heinrich, 45, said Monday that she and her friend Helen Salter, 47, were cycling side by side along a tourist route in the...
Teen Allegedly Plotted Attack on Cops With Kangaroo Bomb
Aussie prosecutors say he was inspired by ISIS
- April 25 is usually a day of solemn remembrance in Australia for those who've taken part in the country's wars, but this year's ceremonies may have come perilously close to being marred by a teen bent on terror. Prosecutors say 19-year-old Sevdet Besim plotted an attack to...
Wisconsin City: No, a Kangaroo Is Not a Service Animal
May we suggest a nice dog?
- Officials have changed a southeastern Wisconsin city's rules on service animals after a woman took a baby kangaroo into a McDonald's restaurant. The Beaver Dam
reports the city's Common Council voted 14-0 Monday night to define a service animal as a dog or miniature horse,...
Zoo's Baby Kangaroo Stolen From Mom's Pouch
Wisc. zoo pleads for return of stolen animals
- Baby kangaroos are supposed to be with their mothers until they're at least a year old, say worried staff at the Special Memories Zoo in Wisconsin. But a baby kangaroo was stolen right from its mother's pouch at the zoo's winter holding facility last week, and the...
'Therapy Kangaroo' Kicked Out of Wisc. McDonald's
Even though woman says she has a doctor's note
- While she may not have been hopping mad, a Wisconsin woman certainly wasn't happy about being told to leave a McDonald's in Beaver Dam with the animal she says is her support kangaroo. According to TMJ4 , police told Diane Moyer to leave the restaurant after a customer complained...
Ancient Giant Kangaroos Too Heavy to Hop
Their lumbering gait may have been their undoing
- It isn't just recently that humans have hunted animals to extinction. It appears that 100,000 years ago a giant kangaroo lived in the Australian Outback, where it walked instead of hopped. But perhaps due to its slowness, the creature was an easy target for hunters who arrived somewhere...
The Surprising Way Kangaroos Use Their Tails
Critters use it like a fifth leg
- Red kangaroos, the largest of the kangaroo species in Australia, don't just use their tails to jump high and fast. When they're grazing for food, in fact, their tails are able to generate enough force that they propel the kangaroo rather like a fifth leg—a trait scientists...
Scientists Crack Code of Kangaroo's DNA
Decoding could lead to new antibiotics, hope for wombats
- What makes the kangaroo hop? That’s just one of the questions answered by international researchers who’ve decoded the genome of a kangaroo species, the BBC reports. The genome research team—the first to be led by Australian scientists—sequenced the genome in 2008 but finally completed its analysis...
Woman, 94, Battles Rogue Kangaroo
Broom-wielding Outback woman fights off attacking roo
- The Australian Outback is home to millions of kangaroos—and some very tough old ladies. Phyllis Johnson, 94, is recovering in a local hospital after being attacked by a fully grown red kangaroo as she was hanging up her washing. The animal rained down kicks before she managed to fight...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Giuliani Appears to Touch Himself in Borat Scene
Giuliani Gives Alleged Hunter Biden Files to Cops
Family, Friends of Woman Killed by Falling Tree Will Get $28M
Trump Cuts 60 Minutes Interview Short, Calls It 'FAKE'
After 47 Years, Marshals on Trail of Escaped Child Killer
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.