Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Are on the Way
Sep 8, 2023 7:23 AM CDT
Kavanaugh: SCOTUS Ethics Changes Are on the Way
He predicts 'concrete steps' in the near future
- Public confidence in the Supreme Court is at a 50-year-low, but Justice Brett Kavanaugh says change is on the way. When asked about "perceived ethical issues" at a judicial conference Thursday, Kavanaugh said the court is "continuing to work on those issues," as Chief Justice John Robert...
SCOTUS Decision a Win
for 'Freedom to Wear Pants'
Jun 26, 2023 1:31 PM CDT
SCOTUS Decision a Win for 'Freedom to Wear Pants'
Court leaves in place a ruling against charter school's skirts-only dress code for girls
- The Supreme Court has declined to hear a case involving a North Carolina charter school's dress code, leaving in a place a lower court's ruling that girls at Charter Day School can choose to wear pants instead of skirts. Parents of Charter Day students challenged the skirts-only dress...
Supreme Court Arguments
Nov 2, 2022 11:16 AM CDT
Protesters Interrupt Supreme Court Arguments
That hasn't happened since 2015
- Protesters opposed to the Supreme Court's decision overturning abortion rights briefly interrupted arguments at the court Wednesday and urged women to vote in next week's elections. It was the first courtroom disruption since the court’s decision in June that stripped away women’s constitutional protections for abortion...
The Big Questions SCOTUS
Asked in Big Abortion Case
Dec 1, 2021 11:30 AM CST
The Big Questions SCOTUS Asked in Big Abortion Case
Fate of Roe v. Wade is in their hands, with decision likely in June
- It's one of the biggest days for abortion rights in 50 years. On Wednesday, the most conservative Supreme Court in decades took up the case of Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health, which centers on a Mississippi law that prohibits abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy, which violates Roe....
2 SCOTUS Justices
Open to Challenge
to Abortion Law
Nov 1, 2021 3:48 PM CDT
2 SCOTUS Justices Open to Challenge to Abortion Law
Brett Kavanaugh appears concerned about loophole
- It looks like the Supreme Court will hear a challenge to the Texas’s restrictive new abortion law . The court’s three more liberal justices, Elena Kagan, Stephen Breyer, and Sonia Sotomayor, have already called the law unconstitutional, the
reports. It went into effect after a 5-4 Supreme...
to Correct Slight
to Female Justices
Oct 14, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Supreme Court Changes Format to Correct Slight to Female Justices
They were being interrupted more than their male colleagues
- The Supreme Court is only days into its new term, but there's already been a marked change. As CNN reports, "even in contentious cases, the justices haven't cut each other off—something that often occurred in past terms." That's the result of a change to...
SCOTUS Seems to Lean
Toward Death for Tsarnaev
Oct 13, 2021 12:54 PM CDT
SCOTUS Seems to Lean Toward Death for Tsarnaev
The court heard oral arguments Wednesday
- The Supreme Court sounded ready Wednesday to reinstate the death penalty for convicted Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. In more than 90 minutes of arguments, the court's six conservative justices seemed likely to embrace the Biden administration's argument that a federal appeals court mistakenly threw out Tsarnaev's...
One City May Punish Texas
For Abortion Rule
Sep 5, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
One City May Punish Texas For Abortion Rule
Portland, Oregon city council will vote on ending trade and travel with the state
- While the full impact of the SCOTUS ruling that protects a Texas law banning most abortions remains unclear, one large US city wants to cut ties with the state. Per Oregon Public Broadcasting , the City of Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler said Friday that Portland City Council will vote this week...
Ruling Shields Texas Clinics
From Abortion Suits, for Now
Sep 4, 2021 5:45 AM CDT
Ruling Shields Texas Clinics From Abortion Suits, for Now
Judge handed down temporary restraining order Friday
- A state judge has shielded, for now, Texas abortion clinics from lawsuits by an anti-abortion group under a new state abortion law in a narrow ruling handed down Friday. Per the AP , the temporary restraining order Friday by state District Judge Maya Guerra Gamble in Austin in response to the...
Agree on This
Jul 28, 2021 8:32 AM CDT
Republicans and Democrats Agree on This
They view the Supreme Court evenly, and not especially well
- Just 49% of Americans approve of the performance of the Supreme Court, down from 58%—a 10-year high— a year ago . That's according to a Gallup poll conducted from July 6 to 21 and released Wednesday. It brings the court's first approval rating below 50% since 2017, per...
Names 2 Factors
in Retirement Decision
Jul 15, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Stephen Breyer Names 2 Factors in Retirement Decision
'Health' and 'the court,' says justice, who tells CNN he still hasn't made up his mind on what to do
- The Supreme Court session has ended, but Justice Stephen Breyer still doesn't know when he'll retire. The top liberal justice who will turn 83 in August tells CNN that he has yet to make a decision but acknowledges two issues are on his mind: "Primarily, of course,...
Supreme Court Dials Back
Police Entry Without Warrant
Jun 23, 2021 2:14 PM CDT
Supreme Court Dials Back Police Entry Without Warrant
Dissenters say the ruling gives 'no guidance at all'
- Adding to the country's ongoing discussion of the extent of police powers, the Supreme Court on Wednesday put limits on when police officers pursuing a fleeing suspect can enter a home without a warrant. The high court ruled that when officers are pursuing someone suspected of a misdemeanor, a...
SCOTUS Sides With
Religious Groups Over
Nov 26, 2020 6:23 AM CST
SCOTUS Sides With Religious Groups Over COVID Restrictions
High court rules against New York coronavirus restrictions
- As coronavirus cases surge again nationwide the Supreme Court late Wednesday temporarily barred New York from enforcing certain attendance limits at houses of worship in areas designated as hard hit by the virus, the AP reports. The court’s action could push New York to reevaluate those restrictions. But the...
New SCOTUS Term Starts
Quietly, but That Could Change
Oct 5, 2020 11:27 AM CDT
New SCOTUS Term Starts Quietly, but That Could Change
The term is so far short on high-profile cases, but perhaps not for long
- The Supreme Court began its new term Monday with a remembrance of "a dear friend and a treasured colleague," the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Chief Justice John Roberts paid tribute to Ginsburg as the court resumed its work via telephone because of the coronavirus pandemic. Roberts said...
After SCOTUS Nom, GOP
Sells 'Notorious ACB' Shirts
Sep 28, 2020 4:00 AM CDT
After SCOTUS Nom, GOP Sells 'Notorious ACB' Shirts
Republicans capitalize on RBG's nickname
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg hasn't yet been laid to rest , but the GOP is already capitalizing on her nickname. Within minutes of President Trump nominating Amy Coney Barrett to replace Ginsburg on the Supreme Court, the National Republican Senatorial Committee was already selling "Notorious ACB" shirts—a play on,...
RBG Home From Hospital
May 7, 2020 1:00 AM CDT
RBG Home From Hospital
Ruth Bader Ginsburg released after nonsurgical treatment
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is glad to be home after being discharged Wednesday from a Baltimore hospital, the court said. Ginsburg, 87, spent one night at the Johns Hopkins Hospital to receive nonsurgical treatment for an infection caused by a gallstone, the AP reports. She participated in court...
SCOTUS Settles Case Involving
the Queen Anne's Revenge
Mar 23, 2020 12:08 PM CDT
SCOTUS Settles Case Involving the Queen Anne's Revenge
North Carolina comes out on top in case related to Blackbeard's ship
- The Supreme Court sided unanimously Monday with North Carolina in a copyright fight with a company that has documented the salvage of the pirate Blackbeard's ship off the state's coast. Justice Elena Kagan wrote for the court that the company's copyright infringement lawsuit, which she called “...
'Remain in Mexico'
Policy Will Continue
Mar 11, 2020 2:06 PM CDT
'Remain in Mexico' Policy Will Continue
SCOTUS allows controversial policy to stay in place for now
- The Supreme Court on Wednesday said it would allow the Trump administration to continue enforcing a policy that makes asylum-seekers wait in Mexico for US court hearings, despite lower court rulings that the policy probably is illegal, the AP reports. The justices' order, over a dissenting vote by Justice Sonia...
Schumer: I Shouldn't
Have Used Those Words
Mar 5, 2020 12:02 PM CST
Schumer: I Shouldn't Have Used Those Words
He clarifies criticism of court justices after rebuke from John Roberts
- Chuck Schumer isn't exactly apologizing, but he did acknowledge he used the wrong words in his strong speech about certain Supreme Court justices Wednesday. Schumer was hit with backlash from Republicans and a rare rebuke from the chief justice after saying that Trump-appointed justices Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch...
Trump Era's First
Huge Abortion Case
Comes Down to Roberts
Mar 4, 2020 12:20 PM CST
Trump Era's First Huge Abortion Case Comes Down to Roberts
The chief justice will likely cast the deciding vote
- The Supreme Court appeared divided in its first major abortion case of the Trump era, leaving Chief Justice John Roberts as the likely deciding vote. Roberts did not say enough to tip his hand in an hour of spirited arguments Wednesday. The justices are weighing a Louisiana law requiring doctors...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.