Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
We Probably Didn't Have
a Meat Shortage After All
May 13, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
We Probably Didn't Have a Meat Shortage After All
House panel report: Tyson, other meat-processing companies made 'baseless' claims of scarcity
- Workers at meat-processing plants were forced to clock in to work during the early days of the pandemic, thanks to an executive order out of the Trump administration deeming them essential workers amid what was said to be a beef and pork shortage. Except now it seems that last part...
Feb 21, 2022 7:27 AM CST
Carl Icahn Takes On McDonald's Over Pig Treatment
Financier buys small stake, wants to make moves over its treatment of pigs used for pork
- Carl Icahn holds a small stake in McDonald's, but the financier has two things he wants now that he's a player in the company's machinations: two people of his choice named to the Mickey Dee's board, as well as an improvement in how the company treats...
Subway Tuna Lawsuit
Has Taken a New Turn
Nov 12, 2021 5:59 AM CST
Subway Tuna Lawsuit Has Taken a New Turn
3rd version of complaint claims sandwich chain's tuna contains cattle, pork, chicken DNA
The first version of a lawsuit against Subway claimed its tuna wasn't really tuna. The second, which was dismissed, said the tuna wasn't the right kind of tuna. Now, in a new amendment to that proposed class-action complaint, the plaintiffs say testing has found animal proteins in...
Better Open Up Your
Wallet for That BLT
Sep 30, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
Better Open Up Your Wallet for That BLT
Bacon prices are the highest they've been in 4 decades
- Not since the Reagan years will a side of bacon set you back as much as it does now. CNN reports that the price of the breakfast staple is the highest it's been in four decades when adjusted for inflation, with the average cost rising close to 30% over...
New Rules Could Take Bacon
Off the Table in California
Aug 1, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
New Rules Could Take Bacon Off the Table in California
Voters approved an animal welfare measure that pork producers aren't ready for
- Thanks to a reworked menu and long hours, Jeannie Kim managed to keep her San Francisco restaurant alive during the pandemic. That makes it all the more frustrating that she fears her breakfast-focused diner could be ruined within months by new rules that could make one of her top menu...
The Premier Tried to Speak.
Then Came the Pig Guts
Nov 27, 2020 7:01 AM CST
The Premier Tried to Speak. Then Came the Pig Guts
'Disgusting' Taiwan protest was in response to allowance of US pork imports with ractopamine
- It's not out of the ordinary for fights to break out in Taiwan's parliament, but Friday's brawl was more stomach-turning than usual. As Premier Su Tseng-chang tried to answer questions during a session of the Legislative Yuan, punches flew and members of the Kuomintang (KMT) opposition party...
One Pig Farmer Warns:
'There Will Be Suicides'
May 14, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
One Pig Farmer Warns: 'There Will Be Suicides'
Hundreds of thousands of pigs are being culled amid backlogs at meatpacking plants
- Chickens aren't the only animals getting gassed amid the coronavirus pandemic. As the
New York Times
reports, American pork producers are killing and disposing of hundreds of thousands of pigs "without processing them into food." Closures of meatpacking plants mean there's a backlog of pigs waiting...
Meat Shortage Affecting
One Fast-Food Chain's Menus
May 5, 2020 12:35 PM CDT
Meat Shortage Affecting One Fast-Food Chain's Menus
Some Wendy's locations don't have burgers
- Despite President Trump's executive order dictating that meat processing plants stay open , the specter of meat shortages is being felt across the US—and customers of at least one fast-food chain are taking notice. Bloomberg notes that Wendy's has long advertised itself as offering hamburgers made from fresh...
Iowa Plant That Is Critical to
Our Pork Supply Is Closed
Apr 23, 2020 3:00 AM CDT
Iowa Plant That Is Critical to Our Pork Supply Is Closed
Tyson Foods suspended operations there Wednesday
- Tyson Foods suspended operations Wednesday at an Iowa plant that is critical to the nation's pork supply but was blamed for fueling a massive coronavirus outbreak in the region. The Arkansas-based company said the closure of the plant in Waterloo would deny a vital market to hog farmers and...
Order. Now, a
Virus Hot Spot
Apr 16, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Governor Opposed Stay-at-Home Order. Now, a Virus Hot Spot
644 COVID-19 cases tied to Smithfield Foods meat plant in Sioux Falls, SD
- The shuttered Smithfield Foods pork plant in Sioux Falls, SD, is now the largest single source of coronavirus cases in the country. Eighty more employees were confirmed to have COVID-19 on Wednesday, bringing the employee total to 518. State health officials say another 126 people who had contact with an...
A Dire Warning as
Meat Plants Start to Close
Apr 13, 2020 6:43 AM CDT
A Dire Warning as Meat Plants Start to Close
Workers are getting sick, and supply chain could be disrupted
- Employees at meat processing plants are getting the new coronavirus—and some of the facilities are shutting down, including one of the country's biggest pork processing facilities. Bloomberg reports there's been a "spike" in coronavirus infections at such plants, with hundreds of new cases last week. Plants...
That's a Lot of
Pork: Feds Make
Mar 18, 2019 6:00 PM CDT
That's a Lot of Pork: Feds Make Largest Agricultural Seizure Ever
1M pounds of pork seized at New Jersey port
- Federal authorities say 1 million pounds of pork products allegedly smuggled from China have been seized at a New Jersey port, the AP reports. Troy Miller, field operations director for the Customs and Border Protection in New York and New Jersey, says it's the largest agricultural seizure ever made...
Swindler Posing as Prince
Made One Dumb Move
in case you missed it
Jul 14, 2018 2:00 PM CDT
Swindler Posing as Prince Made One Dumb Move
'Miami Herald': He posed as Saudi royalty, raised suspicions by eating bacon and pork
has an interesting tale of an international swindler now locked up and awaiting sentencing for posing as Saudi royalty. The craziest part of the story is that Anthony Gignac, who was born in Colombia, might still be free if he hadn't made his intended target suspicious...
$50M Awarded to Neighbors
Over Feces-Spraying Pork Farm
Apr 30, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
$50M Awarded to Neighbors Over Feces-Spraying Pork Farm
Smithfield Foods says it will appeal
- The 10 North Carolina plaintiffs who say a pork farm near their homes is endangering their health by, among other things, spraying hog urine and feces onto nearby fields , have won a big victory. A federal jury has awarded each plaintiff $5 million in punitive damages and $75,000 in...
Neighbors Sue Pork Giant
That 'Sprays Feces, Urine'
Apr 4, 2018 12:02 PM CDT
Neighbors Sue Pork Giant That 'Sprays Feces, Urine'
Smithfield Foods' farm is under fire
- A low-cost, high-volume livestock-rearing method pioneered in North Carolina came under fire Tuesday as jurors began hearing a lawsuit from neighbors who say the world's largest pork corporation is endangering their health and making their lives miserable. The legal action is the first in a string of federal lawsuits...
Our Bacon Reserves
Haven't Been This
Low Since 1957
Feb 1, 2017 9:07 AM CST
Our Bacon Reserves Haven't Been This Low Since 1957
That means bacon lovers had better save their pennies
- First, you suffered through a Christmas without whipped cream . Now, you could be facing a bacon-less Super Bowl—unless you're willing to pay a premium for a crispy slice of heaven. As of December, there were 17.8 million pounds of frozen pork belly, which is made into bacon,...
Diet Would Help
Them and Planet
Dec 11, 2015 1:39 PM CST
Changing Pigs' Diet Would Help Them and Planet
Food waste is piling up while the Amazon is plowed to grow food for pigs, says study
- After farmers feeding raw and rotting meat to pigs caused a massive outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease in 2001, the European Union banned the use of swill—or human food waste—for feeding pigs,
reports. This has turned out to be a bad decision for both the environment and...
Man Caught Trying to Smuggle
450 Pork Tamales Into US
Nov 18, 2015 5:40 PM CST
Man Caught Trying to Smuggle 450 Pork Tamales Into US
A delicious traditional treat, but banned nonetheless
- The contraband was carefully wrapped in corn husks and concealed in the luggage of a traveler when authorities moved in for a tamale takedown at Los Angeles International Airport. The search by US Customs and Border Protection agents turned up 450 pork tamales individually packaged in plastic bags. "Although...
Group: Video Reveals
Inhumane Treatment of Pigs
Nov 11, 2015 1:41 PM CST
Group: Video Reveals Inhumane Treatment of Pigs
'This plant is the symbol of everything that is wrong with the meat industry'
- "If the USDA is around, they could shut us down," a worker at one of the largest pork producers in the country can be heard saying in an undercover video released this week. The
reports the video was filmed by someone working for the animal rights...
Pork Off the Menu in
All Federal Prisons
Oct 12, 2015 12:40 AM CDT
Pork Off the Menu in All Federal Prisons
It wasn't that popular, Bureau of Prisons says
- Life in federal prison now means life without bacon—or pork chops, or ham, or any other pork product. Pork was completely removed from the menu for all 206,000 federal prisoners with the beginning of the new fiscal year this month in a move that the Bureau of Prisons...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Carlson Asked Unexpected Person for Favor for His Son
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
Suspects' Mercedes-Benz Getting Loads of Attention
De Blasio: 'I Am Declaring My Candidacy'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.