Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Our Routines May Not Fit
3 Meals a Day Anymore
Mar 8, 2021 7:20 PM CST
Our Routines May Not Fit 3 Meals a Day Anymore
Experts say not to worry about changes in our pre-pandemic eating patterns
- The three-meals-a-day habit is fully engrained. But it may not suit us anymore, Amanda Mull writes in the
. People working at home during the pandemic have less reason to eat when the clock tells them to, and some are finding themselves less committed to breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Our...
in case you missed
Jan 2, 2021 11:12 AM CST
New Dietary Guidelines Skip 2 Controversial Suggestions
USDA rejects idea to further cut alcohol and sugar intake, weighs in on breastfeeding
- The official new dietary guidelines for Americans have been updated for the first time in five years, and they might be more notable for what they
include. As the
Wall Street Journal
reports, the federal guidelines don't call for cuts in alcohol and sugar intake. Over the...
More Americans Are on
Special Diets These Days
Nov 3, 2020 1:47 PM CST
More Americans Are on Special Diets These Days
CDC says half of adults are trying to manage a condition such as diabetes or heart disease
- If it seems like more people are on diets these days, you might not be imagining it. A higher percentage of Americans said they're on a special diet to lose weight or for other health reasons compared with a decade ago, according to a report Tuesday by the US...
I Skip Breakfast,
Lunch Every Day
Jan 16, 2020 2:32 PM CST
Twitter CEO: I Skip Breakfast, Lunch Every Day
Jack Dorsey talks more on his intermittent fasting habits, disputes rumor on his sauna/ice bath habit
- People have a lot of questions about Twitter, and about CEO Jack Dorsey in particular, and on Tuesday, the 43-year-old social media leader tried to answer some of them.
has the video interview , and one of the questions that came in via the platform he oversees wanted to know...
Jan 11, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Actor Undergoes '1K-Pound' Change
Ethan Suplee looks incredibly lean and mean
- That guy with the beard and "Die First, Then Quit" T-shirt is someone you recognize—sort of. It's
Remember the Titans
star Ethan Suplee, who has trimmed down, pumped up, and publicly revealed a grueling battle-with-fat story,
reports. "I learned really quickly that if I wanted...
Scientist Who Led Stunning
Meat Study Had Industry Ties
Oct 5, 2019 2:00 PM CDT
Scientist Who Led Stunning Meat Study Had Industry Ties
But Bradley Johnston says that makes no difference
- A head-spinning new study says red meat might not be unhealthy—but the lead author's past ties to the food and meat industry are raising a few eyebrows, the
New York Times
reports. "Journals require disclosure, and it is always better to disclose fully, if for no other...
Years of Junk Food Caused
Teen to Go Blind, Say Doctors
Sep 3, 2019 11:42 AM CDT
Years of Junk Food Caused Teen to Go Blind, Say Doctors
He subsisted on potato chips, fries, white bread, ham, and sausage
- A case study in a medical journal illustrates the hazards of extremely picky eating. A young patient in the UK says in elementary school he began subsisting on a narrow range of food—potato chips (mostly Pringles), french fries, white bread, and sliced ham and sausage, reports CNN . The result...
Penn Jillette Talks 'Hard-Core'
Magic He Uses to Stay Slim
Jun 17, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
Penn Jillette Talks 'Hard-Core' Magic He Uses to Stay Slim
Magician says he fasts 23 hours each day to maintain 100-pound weight loss
- "I don't respect moderation." That's the reasoning magician Penn Jillette gives the
Los Angeles Times
for both the diet that helped him lose over 100 pounds in just a few months in 2015, and now for the "hard-core" way he maintains that weight loss. In...
Study on Our Bad Diets
Names What We Should Eat
Apr 4, 2019 7:14 AM CDT
Study on Our Bad Diets Names What We Should Eat
Bad diets blamed for 1 in 5 deaths
- Bad diets are responsible for one in five deaths around the world every year, according to a new study—but the authors say we shouldn't nag people about eating fewer cheeseburgers. Instead, they say the best way to cut down on those deaths is to push the foods people...
Suit: He Skipped 2 Meals, Felt
'Lightheaded.' A Woman Died
Mar 11, 2019 11:28 AM CDT
Suit: He Skipped 2 Meals, Felt 'Lightheaded.' A Woman Died
Lawsuit says driver's Whole30 diet caused accident that killed Susan Matthies, 68
- A lawsuit blames a driver and his diet for the death of a woman struck in a Safeway parking lot, saying he was lightheaded after skipping two meals when he lost control of the truck he was driving. Susan Matthies, 68, was putting groceries in her car in Dallas, Ore....
Sunny Side's Up: Americans
Eat Nearly 300 Eggs a Year
Mar 1, 2019 9:45 AM CST
Sunny Side's Up: Americans Eat Nearly 300 Eggs a Year
Government forecasts say Americans eating the most eggs in 5 decades
- Poached, scrambled, sunny, or not: whatever the preference, Americans are eating the most eggs in almost five decades. The average number of huevos consumed is 279 per person per year, reports the
Washington Post ,
the highest since 1973, though well down from the post-World War II peak of 405 in...
A Mosquito Study Started
as 'a Lark.' Then It Worked
Feb 8, 2019 2:35 PM CST
A Mosquito Study Started as 'a Lark.' Then It Worked
Scientists discover that our diet drugs work on the insects, keep them from feeding
- Human diet pills could one day stop mosquitoes from feasting on you in the night. Scientists have given drugs used on people to trick blood-thirsty mosquitoes into thinking they've already had their fill of blood. The researchers hope the technique will eventually be used to control the spread of...
Beyonce to Online
Followers: Eat This
Feb 1, 2019 4:20 PM CST
Beyonce to Online Followers: Eat This
The singer endorses 'The Greenprint' by Marco Borges
- So, what's all that Greenprint stuff on Beyonce's Instagram fee d? Bey stirred up the beehive Thursday when she advocated plant-based living in a rare social-media endorsement, the AP reports. It helped that she also announced to her 123 million followers a sweepstakes for lifetime concert tickets to...
Experts Say World
a New Diet
Jan 17, 2019 6:11 AM CST
Experts Say World Urgently Needs a New Diet
They advise reducing red meat to 1 serving a week
- A hamburger a week, but no more—that's about as much red meat people should eat to do what's best for their health and the planet, according to a report seeking to overhaul the world's diet . Eggs should be limited to fewer than about four a week,...
Are You Doing
Jun 28, 2018 5:35 PM CDT
Are You Doing This Often Enough? Probably Not
A CDC report found that just 23% of Americans are getting enough exercise
- Here’s some bad news, but don’t take it sitting down. A new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report has found that only 23% of Americans are getting enough exercise. For adults 18 to 64, US guidelines recommend 150 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise per week (half that...
Can't Stop Eating Snack
Food? Here's Why
Jun 16, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
Can't Stop Eating Snack Food? Here's Why
Yale researchers have found that the fat-carbo combo creates a powerful chemical reward
- Yes, that donut is delicious–practically irresistible. And here’s why. Yale researchers have found that foods that combine fat and carbohydrates create a powerful reward in the brain, reports
. The investigators recruited 206 volunteers and gave them a small amount of money to bid on various foods...
May Mean a Longer Life
Apr 2, 2018 6:30 PM CDT
Restricting Calories May Mean a Longer Life
Study suggests smaller meals can pay off for humans in longevity
- A new study suggests that those who hope to live long lives should start reducing the portions on their plates. The study in Cell Metabolism followed 53 non-obese men and women over the course of two years, some of whom reduced the amount of calories they ate by 15%, reports...
Cops Bust 'Psycho Sect' That
Pushed Strict Macrobiotic Diet
Mar 15, 2018 6:57 AM CDT
Cops Bust 'Psycho Sect' That Pushed Strict Macrobiotic Diet
Italian police say one follower of Mario Pianesi dropped to just 77 pounds
- He called doctors "assassins" and convinced sick followers to adhere to a strict macrobiotic diet, police in Italy say. But in reality, police say those who followed the teachings of 73-year-old Mario Pianesi and his 51-year-old wife were fleeced for money, manipulated into working for next to nothing for...
Food Compound to
Spread of Cancer
Feb 8, 2018 6:33 AM CST
Study Links Food Compound to Spread of Cancer
Asparagus may be cancer's favorite vegetable
- Making big changes to your diet could deprive cancer of a nutrient that it needs to spread throughout the body, researchers say. A study published in the journal
links asparagine—an amino acid found in many foods, including asparagus, beef, poultry, nuts, and potatoes—to the spread of secondary...
The Best Diets Ranked
Jan 5, 2018 6:08 PM CST
The Best Diets Ranked
Our ground-breaking all-cookie diet didn't make the cut
- Having trouble sticking to a diet? Maybe you just haven't found the right one. Let
US News & World Report
be your guide. The publication consulted with a panel of health experts to rank 40 of the most popular diets in multiple categories. They judged diets on safety, nutritiousness,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Food Prices May Spike Again, Thanks to a New Shortage
Crazy Homecoming Scandal May Result in Serious Jail Time
Stowaway Endures Over 2-Hour Flight Inside Plane Landing Gear
Smash and Grab Turns Deadly for Former Officer
Fauci Says US Could Face 'Fifth Wave' as Omicron Spreads
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.