Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read recent rape news stories, accusations, and cases on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Made Rape Comment
Loses in GOP District
May 4, 2022 4:52 PM CDT
Republican Who Made Rape Comment Loses in GOP District
Others in his party denounced Robert Regan's advice to his daughters
: A Republican candidate whose comments about enjoying rape were denounced by members of his party lost his bid for a seat in the Michigan House on Tuesday. Robert "RJ" Regan was favored to win the special election in the heavily Republican district, the
Detroit Free Press
of Raping Intern, 19
Apr 29, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Lawmaker Convicted of Raping Intern, 19
Victim's testimony had to be struck after she rushed from the Idaho courtroom
- A former Idaho lawmaker was convicted Friday of raping a 19-year-old legislative intern after a dramatic trial in which the young woman fled the witness stand during testimony, saying, "I can’t do this." The intern told a Statehouse supervisor that Aaron von Ehlinger raped her at his...
Rushed to Ukraine
Apr 29, 2022 1:11 PM CDT
Emergency Contraception Rushed to Ukraine
'The timeframe for treating victims of sexual violence is really essential'
- Aid groups are rushing thousands of doses of emergency contraception to Ukraine amid reports that large numbers of Ukrainian woman are being raped by Russian troops. The International Planned Parenthood Federation says it has sent nearly 3,000 doses of the "morning-after pill" to Ukraine and other groups are...
With New Law,
Mar 7, 2022 8:27 AM CST
With New Law, Philippines Creates 'Line That Adults Cannot Cross'
President Duterte signs bill raising age of consent from 12 to 16 to help prevent sex abuse, rape
- For decades, activists in the Philippines have been lobbying to get a law passed that would raise the age of sexual consent from 12 to 16. Finally, their efforts have paid off. On Monday, the office of President Rodrigo Duterte announced he'd signed a bill into law that officially...
Her Body Was
Found in California
Wilderness in 2001.
Mar 4, 2022 2:05 PM CST
Her Body Was Found in California Wilderness in 2001. Now, Justice
3 MS-13 gang members convicted of murder in death of 13-year-old girl
- Justice was finally served Thursday in the case of a young California teen murdered more than two decades ago by MS-13 gang members. The
Whittier Daily News
reports that Santos Grimaldi, 39, and Melvin Sandoval, 42, were convicted of first-degree murder in the case of 13-year-old Jacqueline Piazza, who was...
Woman Says She Was
Raped on Flight to London
Feb 9, 2022 11:50 AM CST
Woman Says She Was Raped on Flight to London
A 40-year-old male was arrested upon arrival at Heathrow, Metropolitan Police say
- News of a Jan. 31 arrest at Heathrow emerged on Wednesday, with London's Metropolitan Police saying a man was arrested on suspicion of rape. The arrest followed an overnight transatlantic United flight from Newark during which a 40-year-old woman alleges she was raped as her fellow business-class passengers slept,...
Woman Accused of Making Up
Rape Story Is Cleared
Jan 31, 2022 8:41 AM CST
Woman Accused of Making Up Rape Story Is Cleared
British teen who alleged gang-rape in Cyprus has her conviction for lying overturned
An explosive case involving allegations of gang rape has taken another turn. The Supreme Court in Cyprus has overturned the conviction of a British woman who was convicted of making up rape allegations in 2019, reports the AP . The woman initially told police that a group of Israeli men...
Judge Tosses Teen's Rape
Conviction, Blames Parents
Jan 14, 2022 7:56 AM CST
Judge Tosses Teen's Rape Conviction, Blames Parents
Illinois judge Robert Adrian said it would be 'unjust' to sentence teen to prison time
- At a bench trial in Illinois in October, a 16-year-old girl testified that 18-year-old Drew Clinton held a pillow over her face and raped her after she fell asleep at a graduation party. Adams County Judge Robert Adrian found Clinton guilty of criminal sexual assault—but he threw his own...
Rape Case Against Director
Luc Besson Takes a New Turn
Dec 9, 2021 4:05 PM CST
Rape Case Against Director Luc Besson Takes a New Turn
Paris judge dismisses allegation against French moviemaker; meanwhile, his accuser has left acting
- A Paris judge has dismissed a rape allegation against French director Luc Besson by the actress Sand Van Roy. The Dutch-Belgian actress, who starred in Besson films including 2017's
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
, claimed the director raped her in a...
Jail Time 'Not Appropriate' for
Rapist Who Assaulted 4 Teens
Nov 19, 2021 11:42 AM CST
Jail Time 'Not Appropriate' for Rapist Who Assaulted 4 Teens
Western New York judge stuns victims with 8 years of probation for Christopher Belter, 20
- Christopher Belter was facing eight years behind bars after pleading guilty in 2019 to rape and sexual abuse involving four teen girls at his family's mansion in Western New York. Instead, a Niagara County judge this week gave the 20-year-old eight years of probation, stunning everyone in the courtroom,...
DA Pushes Back on Train Rape
Narrative: 'Simply Not True'
Oct 22, 2021 6:45 AM CDT
DA Pushes Back on Train Rape Narrative: 'Simply Not True'
Cops had said passengers on SEPTA train near Philly recorded assault instead of intervening
- The story of a horrific rape last week aboard a SEPTA train on the outskirts of Philly seemed to get even worse when cops revealed that bystanders sat by and did nothing to help, instead holding up their phones to record the incident. Now, Delaware County's chief prosecutor says...
Cops: Passengers Had Phones
Up, May Have Filmed Rape
Oct 19, 2021 3:07 PM CDT
Cops: Passengers Had Phones Up, May Have Filmed Rape
None of the witnesses to the attack called 911
Police say other passengers on a SEPTA train where a woman was raped last Wednesday not only witnessed the crime, they may have filmed it. Police say some passengers pointed their smartphones at the ongoing assault. Nobody called 911, and the attack only ended when a Transit Police employee...
Police: Case of Mistaken
Ride-Sharing Car Ended in Rape
Oct 5, 2021 12:29 PM CDT
Police: Case of Mistaken Ride-Sharing Car Ended in Rape
Suspect has been arrested in connection with May incident in Nashville
- More than four months after a woman says she was kidnapped in Nashville and raped by a man she wrongly thought was a ride-share driver, police say an arrest has been made. Randall Corey Johnson, of Lebanon, Tenn., has been charged in connection with the May 24 incident, reports the...
GOP Congressman Who Made
'Legitimate Rape' Remark Dies
Oct 4, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
GOP Congressman Who Made 'Legitimate Rape' Remark Dies
Mo.'s Todd Akin, who made inflammatory comment about abortion and women's bodies, has died at 74
- Former US Rep. Todd Akin, a conservative Missouri Republican whose comment that women's bodies have a way of avoiding pregnancies in cases of "legitimate rape" sunk his bid for the US Senate, and who became a cautionary tale for other GOP candidates, died late Sunday. He was 74....
Life Will Mean Life for
Sarah Everard Killer
Sep 30, 2021 6:40 AM CDT
Life Will Mean Life for Sarah Everard Killer
Wayne Couzens given whole-life tariff
: Former Metropolitan Police officer Wayne Couzens has been given the longest sentence possible under British law for the murder of Sarah Everard. After a two-day hearing that involved harrowing details of Everard's final hours and devastating victim impact statements from her family, the 48-year-old was sentenced to a...
Alibaba Manager Accused
of Rape Is Released
Sep 7, 2021 11:59 AM CDT
Alibaba Manager Accused of Rape Is Released
Authorities in China say his 'forcible indecency' does not constitute a crime
Authorities in China on Monday dropped a rape case against a former manager at Alibaba, saying that his actions did not constitute a crime, reports the
New York Times
. The man was released after 15 days of detention. He had been arrested after a female Alibaba employee went public...
Aug 11, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Brutality in Ethiopia Is 'Absolutely Shocking'
Amnesty International says government is using rape as weapon of war
- Ethiopia's military is guilty of war crimes, including using rape as a weapon of war, according to Amnesty International, which shares horrific accounts from victims in a new report . The group says "overwhelming evidence" shows rape has been rampant in Ethiopia's northern Tigray region since fighting between...
7 Years Later,
Jun 30, 2021 6:44 AM CDT
7 Years Later, Facebook Message Leads to Arrest Warrant
Shannon Keeler was raped at Gettysburg College in 2013
- While she pleaded for prosecutors to take up her college rape complaint, Shannon Keeler studied in Spain, won a national championship in lacrosse, earned a bachelor's degree, and fell in love. All the while, she gathered evidence from the freshman year attack and passed it on to investigators. Here...
Journalist Breaks Silence
About Player Who Raped Her
Jun 21, 2021 3:31 PM CDT
Journalist Breaks Silence About Player Who Raped Her
Kat O'Brien is speaking out after '18 years of shame and self-blame'
- Former baseball journalist Kat O'Brien says she has decided to break her silence about an assault that has cast a shadow over her life for 18 years. O'Brien says she was 22 years old when she was raped by a Major League Baseball player she had been interviewing....
He Was Her Stepdad, Then Her
Husband. Now, a Murder Trial
Jun 21, 2021 12:38 PM CDT
He Was Her Stepdad, Then Her Husband. Now, a Murder Trial
More than 600K call for release of Valerie Bacot, who says Daniel Polette abused her for 24 years
- The trial of a Frenchwoman who allegedly shot her husband to death started Monday, and the suspect herself says she deserves to be punished. But Valerie Bacot's story has infuriated activists on domestic violence who say she should be given her freedom, as her husband was also her stepfather,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Zelensky Suggests New Talks, on One Condition
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
Jif Recalls Peanut Butter
In These 10 Cities, Open Up Your Wallet to Buy a Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.