Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 31 |
Another Big Statue
Will Fall: Report
Jun 3, 2020 5:54 PM CDT
Another Big Statue Will Fall: Report
Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam plans to have statue of Robert E. Lee taken down
- Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is expected to announce plans Thursday for the removal of an iconic statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee from Richmond's prominent Monument Avenue, a senior administration official told the AP . The governor will direct the statue to be moved off its massive pedestal and...
Egypt's Outrage Couldn't
Stop This $6M Sale
Jul 5, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
Egypt's Outrage Couldn't Stop This $6M Sale
Christie's holds auction of 3,000-year-old King Tut bust despite Egypt's claims it was stolen
- "Egyptian history is not for sale" is what signs carried by protesters read outside of Christie's in London. But apparently it was, as a controversial auction of a King Tut bust was carried out Thursday, fetching nearly $6 million, Reuters reports. At issue regarding the 3,000-year-old, 11-inch-high...
US Hits North Korea
on Coal, Oil, and ... Statues
Aug 22, 2017 12:10 PM CDT
US Hits North Korea on Coal, Oil, and ... Statues
New sanctions penalize Chinese and Russian firms for dealing with Pyongyang
- The Treasury Department applied new sanctions Tuesday intended to squeeze North Korea even tighter. The sanctions were mostly against Chinese and Russian companies and individuals that the US accuses of conducting illegal business with Pyongyang and thus helping its nuclear weapons program, reports the
. The big hits were...
on Wall Street:
May 30, 2017 9:15 AM CDT
Newest Statue on Wall Street: 'Pissing Pug'
It's a response to 'Fearless Girl,' which was a response to 'Charging Bull'
- For months, "Fearless Girl" has stood in defiance of a famous 11-foot bull statue in Manhattan. But its message of female empowerment was a bit dampened Monday. In protest of the 4-foot statue of a young girl, artist Alex Gardega erected a small statue of a dog urinating next...
New Orleans Starts Taking
Apr 24, 2017 3:40 AM CDT
New Orleans Starts Taking Down 'Aberration'
Mayor says Confederate statues don't represent city
- Workers in New Orleans began removing the first of four prominent Confederate monuments early Monday, making it the latest Southern city to sever itself from symbols viewed by many as representing racism and white supremacy. Trucks arrived to begin removing the first memorial, one that commemorates whites who tried to...
'Fearless Girl' Has New Foe:
the 'Charging Bull' Sculptor
Apr 12, 2017 7:22 AM CDT
'Fearless Girl' Has New Foe: the 'Charging Bull' Sculptor
Arturo Di Modica says newer bronze statue is messing up his creation's vibe
- The sculptor of Wall Street's "Charging Bull" statue is accusing New York City of violating his legal rights by allowing the "Fearless Girl" statue to be installed facing the bronze beast without his permission. Attorney Norman Siegel tells the AP that Arturo Di Modica will explain at...
Cristiano Ronaldo Bust Strikes
Terror Into Internet's Heart
Mar 30, 2017 3:33 AM CDT
Cristiano Ronaldo Bust Strikes Terror Into Internet's Heart
The notoriously handsome athlete's bust is the exact opposite of that
- Famous soccer player and handsome person Cristiano Ronaldo had an airport in his hometown renamed in his honor Wednesday, the
reports. That's good. Not so good (or handsome) was the bronze bust unveiled outside the newly minted Cristiano Ronaldo Madeira International Airport in Portugal. The bust, supposedly a...
It Won't Be Easy
to Wipe Away Our
Jun 23, 2015 6:47 AM CDT
It Won't Be Easy to Wipe Away Our Confederate Symbols
They're in our Capitol, and hints of them are in 7 state flags
- Yesterday was the 150th anniversary of the day the last shots of the Civil War were fired and it turned out to be a bad day for symbols of the Confederacy: South Carolina's top lawmakers called for the Confederate battle flag's removal from the state Capitol and Walmart...
Statue of King Tut's
Oct 4, 2010 3:36 AM CDT
Statue of King Tut's Granddad Unearthed
Likeness of Amenhotep III stands more than four feet tall
- The King Tut news just keeps coming: There was the mystery of his death (solved!), the curse of his grave , and who can forget: the case of his missing penis . Now, Egyptologists are excited to report they've found a limestone statue of the Boy King's grandfather. The sculpture of...
Mayor Declares War
on Garden Gnomes
May 14, 2010 4:40 PM CDT
Mayor Declares War on Garden Gnomes
Italian city council set to ban lawn statues
- The mayor of Furore, Italy, wants garden gnomes out of his city—immediately. The reason? "They cause an alteration of the natural environment," he says. An ordinance banning the lawn statues is before the city council, and sources tell the ANSA news service the gnomes "could be...
May 14, 2008 6:05 AM CDT
Oldest Caesar Bust Found in France
Treasure at bottom of river in Arles
- The oldest bust of Julius Caesar ever found is among an ancient treasure trove discovered at the bottom of the Rhone river near the southern French town of Arles, which was founded by Caesar in 46 BC. The life-size marble bust depicts Caesar as a balding man with wrinkles, reports...
Stories 21 - 31 |
Popular on Newser
New Leads on How Live Ammo May Have Gotten on Rust Set
Chief of Staff: Trump Tested Positive, Didn't Reveal It
Before Oxford High School Shooting, Rumors of Attack
Sheriff: Dad of Oxford Suspect Bought Gun on Black Friday
'I Saw People Dying in Front of Me'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.