Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oct 7, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Fire Scorches Easter Island's Iconic Statues
Authorities say the damage is 'irreparable'
- A forest fire that swept through a national park has done irreversible damage to some of Easter Island's most famous landmarks, authorities say. The fire scorched around 250 acres of an area that's home to numerous moai statues, the
reports. The huge stone figures are sometimes called...
Grim End to Stolen
Statue of Famed
May 3, 2022 1:10 PM CDT
Grim End to Stolen Statue of Famed Native American
Statue of ballerina Marjorie Tallchief appears to have been cut down, sold for scrap for $266
- A bronze statue of Native American ballerina Marjorie Tallchief, stolen last week from the Tulsa Historical Society & Museum, appears to have been cut into pieces and sold as scrap metal. Pieces of the statue—one of five outdoor statues depicting famous Native American ballerinas from Oklahoma known as the...
For Easter Island
Head, a 'Profoundly
Feb 22, 2022 12:32 PM CST
For Easter Island Head, a 'Profoundly Significant' Move
Moai held at Chile's national museum since 1878 to rejoin the Rapa Nui on Easter Island
- A century and a half after it was removed from Easter Island, a giant moai is about to head home. The 1,500-pound moai statue housed at Chile's National Museum of Natural History since 1878 will next week begin a five-day journey back to Easter Island , a Chilean territory,...
Jan 19, 2022 4:02 PM CST
Removal of Roosevelt Statue Begins
It has stood outside NYC's American Museum of Natural History since 1940
: The upper half of the bronze Theodore Roosevelt outside a New York museum was removed by crane early Wednesday, after years of public debate. The rest of the monument, which is now surrounded by a tarp, will be taken away a bit at a time throughout the week before...
Banksy T-Shirt Supporting
Defendants Draws a Crowd
Dec 11, 2021 2:10 PM CST
Banksy T-Shirt Supporting Defendants Draws a Crowd
Artist puts $33 project on sale before trial over toppling of slave trader's statue
- Hundreds of people lined up Saturday in the English city of Bristol to get the latest work by elusive street artist Banksy—a T-shirt created to help four defendants charged over the toppling of a local statue of a slave trader. The gray shirt features the word Bristol above the...
Charlottesville Makes a Call
on Its Robert E. Lee Statue
Dec 8, 2021 7:27 AM CST
Charlottesville Makes a Call on Its Robert E. Lee Statue
Monument will be melted down to be made into arts project by local nonprofit
- It hasn't been clear what would happen to Charlottesville's Robert E. Lee statue, after it was hoisted off its stone pedestal in July, but the City Council has now made its decision: A local Black-led nonprofit will melt down the controversial Confederate monument and turn it into a...
White Nationalist Insignias
Deface Arthur Ashe Mural
Oct 21, 2021 7:35 PM CDT
White Nationalist Insignias Deface Arthur Ashe Mural
Richmond, whose racial atmosphere drove the tennis great away, plans to restore tribute
- Arthur Ashe moved away from his Virginia hometown as a teenager, weary of the racial segregation that extended to the city's tennis courts. "I left all that Richmond stood for at the time—its segregation, its conservatism, its parochial thinking, its slow progress toward equality, its lack of...
As the Statue Came Down
in Charlottesville, Cheers
Jul 10, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
As the Statue Came Down in Charlottesville, Cheers
Monument to Robert E. Lee is removed from pedestal in Va. park
- A Confederate monument that helped spark a violent white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va., has been hoisted off its stone pedestal. Work to remove the statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee began early Saturday morning. Crews were also expected to take down a second Confederate monument for Lt. Gen. Thomas...
Museum Visitors Will Help
Decide Fate of Statue
Jun 3, 2021 2:31 PM CDT
Museum Visitors Will Help Decide Fate of Statue
Likeness of slave trader Edward Colston was toppled last year in England
- A statue of a 17th-century slave trader that was toppled during anti-racism protests in the English city of Bristol is being displayed in a museum, where visitors will be asked to help decide its fate, per the AP . The bronze likeness of Edward Colston was pulled from its pedestal and...
Cops: Man Tried
to Illegally Sell
of Art' for $120K
Mar 20, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Cops: Man Tried to Illegally Sell 'Exceptional Work of Art' for $120K
Greek police believe 5th-century BC statue was taken from temple on or near Acropolis
- A man has been arrested on suspicion of antiquities smuggling for trying to sell an ancient marble statue of "exceptional artwork" that once likely adorned a temple on Athens' famed Acropolis or the slopes around it, Greek authorities said Friday. Police said the fifth-century BC statue was recovered following...
Trump's 'Heroes' Garden Is a
Bit Skimpy in One Respect
Jan 19, 2021 9:40 AM CST
Trump's 'Heroes' Garden Is a Bit Skimpy in One Respect
Proposed 'National Garden of American Heroes' is heavy on the guys, by a ratio of 4-to-1
- On Monday, President Trump issued one of his final executive orders that calls for the establishment of a "National Garden of American Heroes," what Business Insider describes as a collection of "statues of an eclectic range of candidates" that Trump first mentioned last summer. (By "eclectic,...
Oct 5, 2020 3:13 PM CDT
$250M Project Rethinks Monuments
Mellon Foundation donates $250M to telling a more inclusive history in public spaces
- With monuments under attack that honor Confederates , Christopher Columbus and others whose records are being reconsidered, a $250 million project will look for new approaches to reflecting the nation's history. The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation plans to reimagine existing monuments and develop new approaches to future installations, including statues,...
Say Hello to
Sep 16, 2020 9:04 AM CDT
Say Hello to Slovenia's New Tribute to Melania
Torched wooden statue of first lady replaced with bronze near her hometown of Sevnica, Slovenia
- Same stump, slightly different first lady. After an arson attack "conceptualized as criticism" of President Trump, a wooden statue of Melania Trump burned down near her hometown in Slovenia on the Fourth of July has been replaced with a sturdier bronze version, according to one of the artists who...
The Nominations Are In
for Trump's Garden of Heroes
Aug 31, 2020 6:25 PM CDT
The Nominations Are In for Trump's Garden of Heroes
Suggestions from outside the administration are much more diverse
- George Floyd. Breonna Taylor. Sacagawea. The guy who invented air conditioning. Americans' suggestions of statues for President Trump's planned National Garden of American Heroes are in, the AP reports, and they're considerably different from the names the administration has locked in for many of the pedestals. The outside...
Canada's First PM
Hits the Ground Hard
Aug 30, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
Canada's First PM Hits the Ground Hard
Statue of Sir John A. Macdonald takes a tumble in Montreal
- Marchers in Montreal toppled a statue of Canada's first prime minister Saturday and sent his head flying, the
reports. The event began peacefully with about 200 activists walking through downtown in support of changes to police funding—but when they reached Place du Canada, a large urban...
Japan Has Big Issue With
Statue of a Kneeling Man
Jul 29, 2020 10:35 AM CDT
Japan Has Big Issue With Statue of a Kneeling Man
Tokyo questions whether bronze figure in South Korean garden represents Shinzo Abe
- A pair of new statues in South Korea of a man kneeling in front of a girl symbolizing a victim of sexual slavery by Japan's wartime military is the latest subject of diplomatic sensitivity between the countries, with Tokyo's government spokesperson questioning whether the male figure represents the...
Protest in Chicago Park
Leaves 18 Cops Injured
Jul 18, 2020 6:30 AM CDT
Protest in Chicago Park Leaves 18 Cops Injured
Demonstrators tried to yank down statue of Christopher Columbus in Grant Park
- At least 18 police officers in Chicago were hurt Friday during a clash with 1,000 or so protesters who converged upon a park and tried to yank down a statue of Christopher Columbus. The officers had been at an earlier rally in support of Black and Indigenous people "...
Baltimore Protesters Toss
Columbus Statue in Harbor
Jul 5, 2020 6:11 AM CDT
Baltimore Protesters Toss Columbus Statue in Harbor
'We’ve seen people who have taken to the streets, we have supported them,' says mayor's rep
- Baltimore protesters pulled down a statue of Christopher Columbus and threw it into the city's Inner Harbor on Saturday night. Demonstrators used ropes to topple the monument near the Little Italy neighborhood, reports the AP . Protesters mobilized by the death of George Floyd at the hands of police have...
His Focus on
Jun 27, 2020 6:00 AM CDT
Trump Keeps His Focus on Monuments With Executive Order
Penalty for damaging monuments, statues, memorials could be 'up to 10 years' imprisonment'
- Earlier this week, President Trump promised to sign a "very strong" executive order regarding the protection of monuments around the US, and on Friday he got his pen out. "I just had the privilege of signing a very strong Executive Order protecting American Monuments, Memorials, and Statues -...
Executive Order, US Marshals
to Protect Nation's Monuments
Jun 25, 2020 9:15 AM CDT
Executive Order, US Marshals to Protect Nation's Monuments
Trump promises 'very strong' order this week
- US marshals have been ordered to prep to protect the nation's monuments as part of a new effort by the Trump administration, also said to involve an upcoming executive order. In an email with the subject line "Attorney General Assignment," Marshals Service Assistant Director Andrew C. Smith...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
Iranian Patrol Boat Tries to Temporarily Blind US Navy Ships
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.