Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nun's 'Peaceful Patience'
Helped Her Survive Kidnapping
Sep 15, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Nun's 'Peaceful Patience' Helped Her Survive Kidnapping
Sister Suellen Tennyson, who lost 20 pounds in captivity, was held for 5 months in Burkina Faso
- Sister Suellen Tennyson sat amazed as one of her captors began washing her feet. "I was just taken aback," the 83-year-old Roman Catholic nun and former international leader of the Marianites of Holy Cross tells the
from a safe haven in the Archdiocese of New Orleans,...
Cardinal's 'Bombshell' Reveal
Involves Pope, a Nun, and $1M
May 6, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
Cardinal's 'Bombshell' Reveal Involves Pope, a Nun, and $1M
Angelo Becciu testifies that Francis OK'd paying that to free kidnapped Sister Gloria Cecilia Narvaez
- Pope Francis authorized spending up to around $1 million to free a Colombian nun kidnapped by al-Qaeda-linked militants in Mali, a cardinal testified Thursday, revealing previously secret papal approval to hire a British security firm to find the nun and secure her freedom. Cardinal Angelo Becciu's bombshell testimony could...
Gambling Nun to Serve Year
Behind Bars: 'I Have Sinned'
Feb 8, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Gambling Nun to Serve Year Behind Bars: 'I Have Sinned'
'I have no excuses,' says Sister Mary Margaret Kreuper, who stole $835K from Catholic school
A California nun and retired principal who embezzled $835,000 in donations, tuition, and fees from a Catholic elementary school will now have to pay it all back and serve a year behind bars. "I have sinned, I've broken the law, and I have no excuses,"...
India Cracks Down on
Mother Teresa's Charity
Dec 28, 2021 7:56 AM CST
India Cracks Down on Mother Teresa's Charity
Amid rising anti-Christian sentiment, India bars Missionaries of Charity from foreign funding
- On Christmas Day in India came a move that some say is the result of rising anti-Christian sentiment. On Saturday, the Hindu-majority nation refused to renew the license that allowed for funding from abroad for Missionaries of Charity, the group founded by Mother Teresa that runs nun-managed shelters and other...
Citing Expose, Pope Warns
of Abuse of Nuns by Superiors
Dec 11, 2021 3:55 PM CST
Citing Expose, Pope Warns of Abuse of Nuns by Superiors
Francis has moved against unchecked power of church and lay superiors
- Pope Francis on Saturday drew attention to a problem that the Vatican has long sought to play down: the abuses of power by mother superiors against nuns who, because of their vows of obedience, have little recourse but to obey. During an audience with members of the Vatican's congregation...
Nov 9, 2021 10:40 AM CST
Sister Prejean: Let Inmate Have Final Human Touch
John Henry Ramirez deserves to have pastor present at Texas execution, she writes
- Sister Helen Prejean, the Catholic nun made famous by the book and movie
Dead Man Walking
, is making a public appeal on behalf of a death row inmate in Texas. In a
New York Times
essay, Prejean argues that the state should grant the request of John Henry Ramirez that...
Nun Embezzled $835K
to Fund Gambling Habit
Jun 8, 2021 6:38 PM CDT
Nun Embezzled $835K to Fund Gambling Habit
Mary Margaret Kreuper could get 40 years
- A Los Angeles nun who took a vow of poverty has agreed to plea guilty to federal charges for stealing more than $800,000 to pay for a gambling habit, prosecutors announced Tuesday. Mary Margaret Kreuper, 79, was charged Tuesday with one count of wire fraud and one count of...
Nun Kneels Before Troops:
'Shoot Me Instead'
Mar 9, 2021 10:05 AM CST
Nun Kneels Before Troops: 'Shoot Me Instead'
Sister Ann Rose Nu Tawng emerges as a hero in Myanmar
- Her name is Sister Ann Rose Nu Tawng, and the Catholic nun is emerging as a hero in Myanmar's deadly unrest . On Monday, the 45-year-old knelt in front of soldiers about to crack down on protesters in the city of Myitkyina and pleaded with them to hold fire, reports...
'We Had Six Women
Die in 48 Hours'
Jan 31, 2021 4:38 PM CST
'We Had Six Women Die in 48 Hours'
A COVID outbreak claims the lives of nine Michigan nuns
- A COVID-19 outbreak in Michigan has claimed the lives of nine nuns, CNN reports. The women, who were living at the Motherhouse campus of the Adrian Dominican Sisters, ranged in age from 81 to 94 and died between Jan. 11 and Jan. 26. Most were at high risk due to...
COVID-19 Kills 8 Nuns
at Retirement Home in a Week
Dec 17, 2020 6:40 PM CST
COVID-19 Kills 8 Nuns at Retirement Home in a Week
Other residents have tested positive, order says
- Eight nuns living at a retirement home for sisters in suburban Milwaukee died of COVID-19 complications in the past week—four of them on the same day, according to the congregation that runs the home. The School Sisters of Notre Dame Central Pacific Province said other sisters who live at...
COVID Went Through
Convent 'Like Wildfire'
Jul 22, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
COVID Went Through Convent 'Like Wildfire'
Convent in Livonia, Mich., loses 13 nuns to virus
- In what "may be the worst loss of life to a community of women religious since the 1918 influenza pandemic," a Roman Catholic convent in Livonia, Mich., says it has lost 13 of its nuns to COVID-19. CBS News reports that's 22% of the convent's nuns,...
Fraudster Hid for
Years Among Nuns.
Then One Got Wise
Feb 14, 2020 12:31 PM CST
Fraudster Hid for Years Among Nuns. Then One Got Wise
Fake sister couldn't keep her story straight: cops
- A convicted fraudster convinced nuns that she was a kind sister in need of help during two years on the run, according to police in Italy. The 47-year-old woman, who has not been named, fled Sicily after she was convicted of fraud, impersonation, and theft and sentenced in absentia to...
on Nuns: 'Sexual
Slavery,' Forced Abortions
Feb 6, 2019 6:03 AM CST
Pope's Shocker on Nuns: 'Sexual Slavery,' Forced Abortions
'Do we have to do more? Yes. Are we willing? Yes.'
- A shocking first emerged from the pope on Tuesday: admission of more sexual abuse within the Catholic Church, this time of nuns at the hands of male clergy. The
New York Times
notes it's the first time the pontiff has publicly recognized the church's very own #MeToo issue,...
30 Nuns and 1 Priest
Stuck in the Snow:
Don't Come Get Us
Jan 17, 2019 12:50 PM CST
30 Nuns and 1 Priest Stuck in the Snow: Don't Come Get Us
Austrian order has been cut off from the world for days
- Authorities in Austria tried to reach dozens of Catholic nuns whose Alpine monastery has been cut off from the world for days because of heavy snowfall, per the AP . But public broadcaster ORF reported Thursday that the nuns say they've got enough food and fuel, and they want to...
School: Nuns Used 'Forgotten'
Account, Stole Up to $500K
Dec 10, 2018 4:33 AM CST
School: Nuns Used 'Forgotten' Account, Stole Up to $500K
St. James Catholic School in Torrance, Calif., says it's not pressing charges
- It wasn't a noteworthy request, but what it helped reveal was significant: A family asked for a copy of a check they had paid to a California Catholic school. But when the staff at St. James Catholic School in Torrance retrieved it, they realized it had been deposited into...
Unlikely Catholic Revolt:
Tiny Order of French Nuns
Dec 9, 2018 9:01 AM CST
Unlikely Catholic Revolt: Tiny Order of French Nuns
Tiny order threatens to renounce vows rather than accept Rome's decision to replace their leader
- The Vatican has an unusual dilemma after nearly all the nuns in a tiny French religious order threatened to renounce their vows rather than accept the Holy See's decision to remove their superior. The sisters argue that the Vatican commissioners sent to replace their superior general, the niece of...
She Went to the
Orphanage at 2.
in case you missed it
Sep 1, 2018 12:11 PM CDT
She Went to the Orphanage at 2. Horrible Things Followed
BuzzFeed News has the piece on the St. Joseph's Orphanage in Burlington, Vermont
- In countries ranging from Canada to Ireland to Australia, the 20th-century abuses that took place in orphanages, oftentimes Catholic ones, have been exposed. But "no such reckoning has taken place" in America, writes Christine Kenneally for BuzzFeed News . "Even today the stories of the orphanages are rarely...
Priests Assault Nuns,
Pressure Abortions: Report
Jul 29, 2018 9:35 AM CDT
Priests Assault Nuns, Pressure Abortions: Report
AP probe finds a worldwide history of abuse
- "It opened a great wound inside of me. I pretended it didn't happen." So says a nun who claims an Italian priest sexually assaulted her while she was confessing to him about 20 years ago in Bologna. A new AP investigation finds she's not alone: Religious...
Pope Wants Nuns to Go
Easy on the Tweets
May 17, 2018 12:47 PM CDT
Pope Wants Nuns to Go Easy on the Tweets
Vatican urges them to use social media with 'discretion and sobriety'
- The Catholic Church has advised its 38,000 cloistered nuns to use social media wisely and with “discretion and sobriety,” reports
. The admonishment was issued in a document published by the Vatican known as the "Cor Orans,” which provides additional guidance on...
Nun Involved in
Katy Perry Lawsuit
Collapses in Court, Dies
Mar 10, 2018 2:29 PM CST
Nun Involved in Katy Perry Lawsuit Collapses in Court, Dies
Sister Catherine Rose Holzman was 89
- A nun who was involved in a lawsuit with pop star Katy Perry over the sale of a convent in Los Angeles died Friday after collapsing during a court appearance, the AP reports. Sister Catherine Rose Holzman, 89, had served the church "with dedication and love for many years,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.